31Likes

post #1 of 138 Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The Interview

Was looking forward to watching this next week but postponed indefinitely.

North Korea involved with the hack:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/feds-li...477374742.html

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008

Last edited by wizzack; 12-22-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
I was going to start a thread on this movie, but to be honest, I was kind of scared. Who knew NK even had the technical know-how to pull something like this off? It sure intimidated Sony into doing exactly what they wanted -- pulling the film. Rogen and Franco have cancelled all their promotional appearances. And it will be a long time before a studio green-lights another satirical film along these lines.

Does this mean "the terrorists win"?
post #3 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 05:17 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Was looking forward to watching this next week but postponed indefinitely.

North Korea involved with the hack:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/feds-li...477374742.html
So was I. Who knows could make a good publicity stunt that they might release in 2015 and everybody would want to see what the fuss was all about.
post #4 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 69
The real trouble with this story is the wholesale destruction that can be done to infrastructure via hacking, but this sort of thing has happened in some much more serious cases. I hope much can be learned from this situation for the purpose of preventative measures.

Now for some levity. I'm sure that this is a terrible film and seeing less of the slovenly Seth Rogen is a good thing. If only he would stay away from the spotlight for good.
post #5 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
The real trouble with this story is the wholesale destruction that can be done to infrastructure via hacking, but this sort of thing has happened in some much more serious cases. I hope much can be learned from this situation.
The difference here is not just that Sony was hacked, their executives publicly embarrassed, and millions lost. Heck, they lose that much in their executive suite sofa cushions in a bad year. The Big Deal this time is that this NK hacker group threatened physical harm to the public should they attend this film. That's never been done before. This raises cyber-crime to a new, more dangerous level. It's almost certainly just the usual rant & bluster from NK, but the theater chains felt they couldn't take the chance. Who can blame them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
Now for some levity. I'm sure that this is a terrible film and seeing less of the slovenly Seth Rogen is a good thing. If only he would stay away from the spotlight for good.
I disagree. I enjoy his & Franco's films for what they are. What they aren't is high-brow. That's okay by me. I watch top-quality serialized TV, like 'Breaking Bad' or 'The Newsroom' for that.
post #6 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
So was I. Who knows could make a good publicity stunt that they might release in 2015 and everybody would want to see what the fuss was all about.
1% of me still believes you're right & we're being trolled. Who'd a thunk two stoners from Freaks and Geeks could cause so much trouble.

post #7 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The flip side is that you can't buy publicity like this, and when they do release the film, it's probably going to get seen a lot more than it otherwise would have. Streisand effect and whatnot.
ozziedog likes this.
post #8 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
The flip side is that you can't buy publicity like this, and when they do release the film, it's probably going to get seen a lot more than it otherwise would have. Streisand effect and whatnot.
The beneficial effect of this kind of "publicity" is never going to come close to make up for their losses. Even if they do eventually release it on shiny disk, that won't come anywhere near what they would have made from a theatrical release. But it's probably a safe bet this movie will never see the light of day, because there's no leverage or punishment that can be levied on the perpetrators, and they'll just renew their threats since they were so spectacularly successful the first time. Complete write-off for Sony.

Which leads me back to the chilling effect this is going to have on other similar, satiric Hollywood endeavors. If you thought the studios were playing it safe now with derivative, formulaic and risk-adverse product, just imagine what this is going to do.
post #9 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I was going to start a thread on this movie, but to be honest, I was kind of scared. Who knew NK even had the technical know-how to pull something like this off? It sure intimidated Sony into doing exactly what they wanted -- pulling the film. Rogen and Franco have cancelled all their promotional appearances. And it will be a long time before a studio green-lights another satirical film along these lines.

Does this mean "the terrorists win"?
You bet they win. Absolute BS! Sony's fault for not guarding data better (as usual) but they just opened a precedent for giving into terrorists demands. And why are we even calling them terrorists? It's just a bunch of pimple-faced nerds down in their basement too afraid to go face to face. Sony needs to rethink this decision and release it after the holidays.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #10 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
And why are we even calling them terrorists? It's just a bunch of pimple-faced nerds down in their basement too afraid to go face to face. Sony needs to rethink this decision and release it after the holidays.
Because they're not just nerds, not in this case. They're NK agents, and this is a state sponsored attack. That's what the U.S. government said yesterday and they wouldn't have done so if they weren't sure. Years ago the NSA set up an apparatus to monitor NK's internet activity. They can't say more without revealing too much, and that's understandable. This is a new cold war, and that's a fact.

Ever been hacked? I have, just last month, probably by some of those pimple-faced nerds you mention. Broke into my bank accounts online and cleaned me out. The bank replaced the money lost, but the hackers no doubt got clean away with it. Much safer and easier than pulling on a ski mask and holding up a branch bank with a gun. That will get you 20-to-life.

Look, I'm as liberal as they come, but even I recognize the importance of the NSA and ensuring our cyber-tech remains superior to our adversaries. Sometimes that means keeping secrets. It's a different ball game now.

Last edited by archiguy; 12-18-2014 at 09:05 AM.
post #11 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Maybe, then again, might just be a small group of punks with nothing to do. As often as Sony gets hacked they probably have an online manual on how to do it. Probably even a Youtube video.
wizzack likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #12 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Which leads me back to the chilling effect this is going to have on other similar, satiric Hollywood endeavors. If you thought the studios were playing it safe now with derivative, formulaic and risk-adverse product, just imagine what this is going to do.
That's a bingo.

post #13 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
This sent a terrible message out there that will will buckle and fold under pressure and give in.

Movie should be released.

Also, I think we should for the next year or so make a ton of movies related to North Korea just to rub it in.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #14 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... The internet is a joke. It was never designed for what it's being used for. It's an almost completely impossible to protect system. This is ironic since it was originally designed as a government network that could resist attack, though probably they were thinking of physical attack and never considered that the network itself would become a more interesting target than Washington DC. In terms of the network itself it was created for academics and government agencies to use and it was never even a consideration that any of the users of it would try to attack it. And now we are using it for our entire lives almost, and it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Or, it's just a long string of ever more dangerous disasters, some of which have already happened and they will just get worse and worse.

And there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. The systems involved are vastly too complex for even people who dedicate their lives to them to really guaranteed their safety; and, the hundreds of millions of vastly less knowledgeable people, who can provide an easy conduit into the system without bothering to attack the bunkers that the really knowledgeable people create, will never come close to truly locking down their systems. So it will always be as full of holes as Swiss Cheese, actually a lot more holey. And it now has far too much inertia to step back and start again from a clean slate with a system that might have a chance.

It's not a sustainable situation, so I don't know what's going to happen. There are plenty of things that could be done to make it better, but they aren't going to get done. And since the system fundamentally involves human beings, no technical solutions are going to ultimately be sufficient. Further, there's a massive disincentive to even try to make it safer, from the very people who will suffer from it, because making it safer will have to mean making it less anonymous. So all those people out there who are totally used to getting anything they want any time they want without consequences are going to react negatively to anything that interferes with that, and that will in and of itself make it impossible to close the holes. All of those people out there will immediately try to create new holes.

I don't know if I will ultimately live to see the chickens come home to log in, but I kind of think I might, and that's not due to my having a particularly rosy picture regarding my longevity prospects.
John Kovach likes this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #15 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As cheery as those thoughts are -- -- I heard something the other day that I hadn't even suspected. Hackers are now remotely inserting malware into computers, businesses mostly (for now), that will encrypt all the data on a company's network. Your data is still there, you just can't access it. Even backup drives, if they're connected to the servers or individual computers, are locked up as well. Then they ask for a payment - ransom, really - to provide the unlock key to get your data back. And the companies are paying it. What choice do they have? And as in other more conventional cyber-attacks, they're keeping it secret for the most part. We usually only hear about this stuff when somebody outside the company, a blogger or reporter for example, uncovers it.

Just in case you weren't shaken up enough by Dean's post...
post #16 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I tend to agree with Dean, the Internet was never designed for the way it is used today. Back in 1990 when I first used a browser (on an Amiga) we thought it would be just something for nerds and kept thinking that for a few years though the VP of software where I worked was visionary enough to say "new method of distribution!"

Ever look at your router firewall logs? I see probes all the time from all over the world and especially IP addresses in Asia.

The real problem might be that if this all escalates they'll decide the Internet isn't for the public outside of big business and we'll wind up with an electronic billboard. What a revolting development that would be!
post #17 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 857
One man knew about this the whole time. Of course nobody listened. Now look at the mess.

archiguy likes this.
post #18 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
This sent a terrible message out there that will will buckle and fold under pressure and give in.

Movie should be released.
And there's a simple way to do it. The U.S. government could buy the movie from Sony and release it into the public domain. North Korea loses (assuming they are behind it) and nobody gets hurt.
post #19 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Resisting the urge to make a joke about Hollywood not protecting expression as well as it protects pedos.

#IBTL
post #20 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
And there's a simple way to do it. The U.S. government could buy the movie from Sony and release it into the public domain. North Korea loses (assuming they are behind it) and nobody gets hurt.
That could be a bad precedent as well.

Studio Board Room: We're going to lose our shirts on this one, we have to do something. Oh, wait, we were hacked... and threats have been made against anyone who goes to see the movie, right? Ummm.... It's a group backed by the Chinese garment industry, which invested heavily in prints this year and our movie is full of pastels. Yeh, that's it. Let's run with that.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #21 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not really a big fan of the govt bailing out that industry personally. The movie will come out.
Brian Conrad likes this.
post #22 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Ever look at your router firewall logs? I see probes all the time from all over the world and especially IP addresses in Asia.
Yup, Chinese IPs galore. It is usually a good idea to block the entire country.
post #23 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Not really a big fan of the govt bailing out that industry personally. The movie will come out.
Don't you want to see more Sony dirt? The implicit deal that Sony has made is that in exchange for not releasing the movie, the attackers won't release any more embarrassing documents.
Phrehdd likes this.

Last edited by Luke M; 12-18-2014 at 04:17 PM.
post #24 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't you want to see more Sony dirt? The implicit deal that Sony has made is that in exchange for not releasing the movie, the attackers won't release any more embarrassing documents.
I suspect Warner or Universal dirt is the same and really doesn't move any beans on my hill but giving in to those demands was a bad move.
post #25 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
F**k'n aye, Bubba.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #26 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Sony dirt in nobody's business. Just like any other company, just like any other person. EVERYONE has something to hide. I don't blame Sony for these "embarrassing documents", they're not meant to be seen. Would you like me to look into your inbox or junk mail?

Pulling the movie is a business decision front and foremost.

What I don't understand to be honest is how and why Sony greenlit this turd in the first place. But I guess that's another discussion.

I tend to agree with darth, it was a bad move, but otoh I understand the theaters' position as well. Had they chosen to show the film, Sony wouldn't have canceled its release.
post #27 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
So, no one is talking about the film. Right?

Everyone is talking about a news item that may or may not be true. Right?

AVS rules = no political Shitola, and yet here it is.

Jingoistic Repeating of Questionable "The Government Says" News on AVS

Did I Miss Something?

GFYS - Really
post #28 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Sony dirt in nobody's business. Just like any other company, just like any other person. EVERYONE has something to hide. I don't blame Sony for these "embarrassing documents", they're not meant to be seen. Would you like me to look into your inbox or junk mail?

Pulling the movie is a business decision front and foremost.

What I don't understand to be honest is how and why Sony greenlit this turd in the first place. But I guess that's another discussion.

I tend to agree with darth, it was a bad move, but otoh I understand the theaters' position as well. Had they chosen to show the film, Sony wouldn't have canceled its release.
Not everyone does bad things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Did I Miss Something?

GFYS - Really
Serious question though, everything at some point comes back to politics. Look at everything in life. Business is politics, sports is politics. At some point politics is the root.
post #29 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Did I Miss Something?

GFYS - Really
Shill.
post #30 of 138 Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
The real trouble with this story is the wholesale destruction that can be done to infrastructure via hacking, but this sort of thing has happened in some much more serious cases. I hope much can be learned from this situation for the purpose of preventative measures.

Nah, SONY probably had an idiot systems administrator with a password of PASSWORD or 123456. Something easily found. Like taking candy from a baby. It was probably just that easy. Probably some offshore idiot IT person would be my guess.

Seth Rogen in my opinion entertains those with an IQ of about 10 or less. What is it they say, simple mind, simple pleasures. WTF what moron would produce such garbage anyhow. Utter ignorance and I find nothing comical about it. Duh, ever wonder why other countries dislike American's. Imagine if some movie producer in Russia produced a movie that had a story line to take out the American president how pretty po'd a few people here would be. Nothing wrong with a good movie but Hollywood needs to stand back and look at what they are producing other than just throw something out there for the $'s. SONY used to be a good company but anymore their stuff stinks and they have lost sight of their business model that was once very good.
quad4.0 likes this.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page