AVS Forum banner

The Gunman

587 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  oink 
#1 ·
This one caught my eye with its great cast: Penn, Bardem, Elba, Winstone.
Opens 3/20:

#4 ·
OMG what a disaster Mr Oink,..12% at RT. How can a movie with Penn & Theron be 12% that's is ridonkulous. I'll still see it though when its out on DVD, oh well Se la vie.

Ppl,,..pls spare me the speech you don't care about the critics ok. There's has NEVER ever been a decent movie 10 or even 20% or less. I double, triple dare you to find one.

#6 · (Edited)
Worth seeing once, if that, and the BR version would not be a bad option, if one has nothing better to do. The movie looks fine on screen. The problem is Sean Penn who seems to lack charisma and becomes somewhat tiresome. Can be confusing, but at the end of the day, who cares? Apparently shot on a limited budget because Jasmine Trinca, the lead actress and an Italian actress, had a wooden delivery when speaking in English, meaning that there must have not been much money around to get her a dialog coach. She was dramatically better in Best of Youth, an Italian epic over a decade ago, but that was in Italian. Sean Penn may think himself a leading man, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see any of his movies, just because he is in it. He was much better in a character role in Walter Mitty where his intensity and screen presence for a very short period of time is a plus for that particular movie and about as much as I can take of him, not that I am suggesting that anyone see the Ben Stiller, Mr. Sad Face, starring movie. Lay this on Sean Penn who has producer and screen writing credits. One amazing thing is that there is a Dolby Atmos track because that is listed in the closing screen credits and good luck trying to find it on a big screen. Possibly an indication that this will be another BR release with Dolby Atmos.

#7 ·
I completely agree SP is not a "leading man" type of actor, in spite of his being a big star.
It just isn't what he is about...

His forte is as a character actor.
Taking strong, odd characters and bringing life to them.
IMO, he is magnetic in the right part.
YMMV.;)

#11 ·
The only prob I see with Penn is that all his energy & time is spent in places he has no business meddling in like Haiti so he can up one on Clooney to see who is the bigger 3rd world savior.

It's one thing to go help out sure for a month or 2 but NO the guy completely lost his marbles & practically lives down there as a resident for like a year.

You would think that gritty exposure to the natives would help his acting but it's made him way worse. He's totally out of his element now out of shape he wouldn't make it on a TV series he's done no game left.

On the contrary Cruise & Pitt are just the opposite raising their game up as they're aging like fine wine. For Penn Marsellus Wallace would say dumb MF thought they age like wine, if u mean in terms of vinegar it does.

#10 ·
Watched tonite.

Nice cinematography, acting, gunplay.
Silly writing, characters, logic.

Really not worth the time unless you are bored or need something playing in the background while cleaning house or garage.

#15 ·
Have watched this movie. Pretty good, straight forward action movie with Seapn Penn as the strong lead man and a really beautiful actress I've not seen before as the damsel in distress. Javier Bardem is in it and plays his dislikable character well. It's not as good as Mystic River but it's better than get Get Carter with Sylvester Stallone.

#17 ·
Caught this last night. Without Sean Penn this would have been a lot funner. Kind of had a Wick, Taken, violence for violence kind of flick, which is fun. But Penn's face did not cut it for me. Looked like he was getting ready to cry at any moment. Still, it was fun enough, but could have been soo much better with just about any other actor. I think Paul Reubens would have been better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.