Why do some movies get better with age? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 22 Old 03-23-2015, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Why do some movies get better with age?

One example I can think of is House of 1000 Corpses. When it first came out, I wan't a big fan of the movie. If I watch is again today, I really like it.

Does nostalgia have something to do with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
I can think of a few reasons and they don't have everything to do with age as in multiple years.

One, wrong mood/distracted during the first viewing.

Two, knowing you didn't like it the first time drastically lowers your expectations, creating a lower standard which becomes easier to match or surpass.

Three, initial expectations too high. This happens to me when I watch too many trailers or "cant wait" for a movie to come out.

In your case, 1k Corpses is ~11 years old. You could have some combination of the above or you may be a slightly different person than you were back then. We all change as we grow older, but sometimes it's so slowly that we don't notice it as it's happening. Maybe it's a positive mile marker for you.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 70
For me, almost all Kubrick films were much better after a little age and more important, my ability to
slow down to the pace and really take it in.

A few drama/actions hit well after a 2nd/3rd view. It happens and it's a very nice
surprise when it does
post #4 of 22 Old 03-23-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
With age comes experience. The Road, for example. I read it before I had kids and could taste the ash in the air. Watching the movie post kids and the definition of the word harrowing became super clear.

Another one or two would be Robocop and Starship Troopers. As a young dude I was all about the guns guns guns and bitc hes leaving. As an adult the complex role of the military industrial complex comes into view and helps propel the movie to a higher tier. Similarly, the media portrayal in ST was over my head as a young viewer but as a wiser adult it's dead on in exposing the propaganda we are exposed to as well as being somewhat prophetic in our consumption. "Would you like to know more?"
post #5 of 22 Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I think expectation of a movie is quite important as well. When you rewatch something your expectation of it is different. You know what you will get and change your criteria for viewing accordingly as opposed to going into a movie expecting one thing and getting another. Sometimes i will evaluate a movie with the pre expectation and not like it but once ive changed it and watch again i can like it.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 258
The more I become who I am, the less I am who I was.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
The more I become who I am, the less I am who I was.
When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.

post #8 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The way I see it, the human brain is very efficient at filtering out extraneous information. Over time, it becomes easy to gloss over certain passages you may not like, and concentrate on the ones you enjoy. Conversely, there are occasions when it also works the other way i.e. where a single bad scene increasingly annoys you the more you watch it. For me, the scene in Gravity where
Spoiler!
is one such scene: it has become so unbearable to watch, that I'm compelled to skip that part of the film to make the overall experience more enjoyable.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
is one such scene: it has become so unbearable to watch, that I'm compelled to skip that part of the film to make the overall experience more enjoyable.
It's more enjoyable to never watch again IMO, but people tend to forgive stupid SHT in films cause they would prefer to watch a film, even though Lollywood stopped makin' Em a long time ago ... Lal Lal
post #10 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
The way I see it, the human brain is very efficient at filtering out extraneous information. Over time, it becomes easy to gloss over certain passages you may not like, and concentrate on the ones you enjoy. Conversely, there are occasions when it also works the other way i.e. where a single bad scene increasingly annoys you the more you watch it. For me, the scene in Gravity where
Spoiler!
I feel you. The agenda of gravity in Gravity is a real bummer for me. I pretty much eject it when the station shatters.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I sat through some of the Stiller/Wilson movies in bored silence when they first come they've definitely aged well for me. When I see Zoolander or (especially) Starsky and Hutch now I frequently laugh out loud. Something about me has changed for the better, or worse.

I was too young to appreciate The Big Lebowski when I first saw it but now that the age gap between me and the dude is shrinking I adore that flick more and more. It's working its way into my top ten.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
It's not the (some) movies that get better with age, it's us (some).
And because we (some) get better with age, we appreciate the movies (some) better.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 43
We should also remember that some movies comes before their time.

Blade runner came in the golden days of Star wars and had Harrison Ford in the lead. The audience wasnt ready for it.
post #14 of 22 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

...Same with 'Planet of the Apes'.
post #15 of 22 Unread Yesterday, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Another recent flick that isn't really great but I think the central idea will age well is The Purge. It is possibly this generation's They Live, although most from my age would say otherwise.
post #16 of 22 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Blade runner came in the golden days of Star wars and had Harrison Ford in the lead. The audience wasnt ready for it.
It was indeed out of place in a sense for the moment. Didn't last long, as it lived well past the crap that was in release at the time.
post #17 of 22 Unread Yesterday, 06:08 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 186
"Why do some movies get better with age?"

Because we're stupid and forget how crappy the movie was.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #18 of 22 Unread Yesterday, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree with most of the posters here who feel that "YOU", the individual" change, not the movies. And that is a really good thing, if you think about it.

Could you imagine being the same person you were 20-25 years ago. I am 42 and am in no way shape(physical wreck )
or form(mentally) am I the same person.

And if you have lived as long as I have, and you still are the same person, I am sorry, but that is pretty PATHETIC.

And I really mean that.

I heard an interview with Brian Cranston on Howard Stern about 6-7 months ago. He was back at his H School reunion, or something of that ilk. And that very statement was posed to him by a classmate he had not seen in 25 years, or longer. And his response was "Well, of course I've changed. Haven't you?!" He felt it was a pretty dumb statement, and I have too agree.

There was A LOT more to the answer than just that, but that pretty much sums it up.

So, NO, movies do not get better, or worse with age/time. Your sensibilities change. You as a person GROW UP. And different experiences make you 1000 X different than what you were 20 yrs ago or longer.

That IS the answer.
post #19 of 22 Unread Yesterday, 06:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Could you imagine being the same person you were 20-25 years ago. I am 42 and am in no way shape(physical wreck )
or form(mentally) am I the same person.
I'm about to be 42 in a matter of days. I'm probably in my best shape physically, but mentally I'm a little off and basically an aspiring alcoholic. Just lack commitment. I'm trying, though.

This topic is interesting because it makes me wonder why some movies don't change for us over the span of decades, when others do. And I hate that I won't get to see Keisel on the field anymore.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #20 of 22 Unread Yesterday, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I think that of all filmmakers in history, Stanley Kubrick stands out as a director whose films ALL improve with age. Most of his films have been relatively panned at first, only later to be recognized as classic masterworks. Barry Lyndon is one of his greatest films, IMHO, yet it had a lukewarm reception on release. The Shining, recognized now as a horror classic, had a lukewarm reception. Eyes Wide Shut had a lukewarm reception, yet for me has improved with age.
post #21 of 22 Unread Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

John Wick will age nicely.

'Interstellar' should age nicely too.

... 'Insomnia' ...The original, and Nolan's remake.

But it's true; it's us first who age nicely and finally recognize and appreciate the great films for their true value, and all the bad ones for all the bad in men (and there are many of them, tons and tons; the very bad worst ones ever to face the surface of this planet).

There is one great film for one thousand atrocious ones. ...And that is quite an accurate assessment.
post #22 of 22 Unread Today, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1
This topic is interesting because it makes me wonder why some movies don't change for us over the span of decades, when others do. And I hate that I won't get to see Keisel on the field anymore.

Well YOUR PERCEPTION of what you like doesnt have to change!

I still like the same movies i did in the 80s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page