Avengers: Age of Ultron in Imax Laser/12.1 vs Christie Lamp/Dolby Atmos - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 51 Old 05-09-2015, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
The Dolby Atmos soundtrack [...] was very loud—94.0 dBC Leq
Please, Scott, you should follow OSHA's A-weighting standard measurement for noise exposure Leq. I can't find if a movie exceeds OSHA's recommendation with a C-weighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 05-09-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Movie posters these days = botched up jobs made by graphic "artists", they learn how to give a photo the "movie poster look" then cut them and place them on an empty background. These guys went to school for this . With Photoshop and some creativity we can do wonders, it's a shame modern movie posters look so lame and lifeless. No to mention it's for one of the biggest blockbusters ever released.
Great poster for a so-so movie. I have the UK quad version in my home theater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avengers_age_of_ultron_ver12.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	708178  

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #33 of 51 Old 05-09-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
But, most of us will wait until we can view in our own homes, where we have control of the volume, the eats, and the pauses for washroom respites.

Was I reading somewhere, where Dolby Atmos is now being replaced by Dolby-DC4?
Dolby AC-4 is their newest lossy codec for streaming and possibly broadcast usage. Atmos can be compressed with AC-4 or lossless TrueHD for premium content.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

post #34 of 51 Old 05-09-2015, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 4383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Fine View Post
Please, Scott, you should follow OSHA's A-weighting standard measurement for noise exposure Leq. I can't find if a movie exceeds OSHA's recommendation with a C-weighting.
Yeah, I've thought about that a lot. I realize that the OSHA standard uses A-weighting, but that mostly ignores low frequencies, which is why I decided to use C-weighting. There are those who argue that high-level low frequencies do not contribute to hearing loss, but I disagree. Also, you can simply subtract 10 from the dBC measurements to get a rough idea of what they would be in dBA.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #35 of 51 Old 05-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post
http://m.mysanantonio.com/business/article/Santikos-Palladium-IMAX-upgrades-sound-system-4062032.php

You're right. It's no longer Imax but they do have Atmos now. Apparently it was Imax/Atmos at one time. Possibly misprint.

Their website shows Imax but this one was AVX/Atmos(Santikos Palladium San Antonio)
The IMAX auditorium at the Palladium is not considered AVX/Atmos, but it is a true Classic IMAX setup with 3D tech. I think you are right, the news article may have been a misprint.

The Palladium also has an auditorium with AVX/Atmos/Laser; kinda like the smaller screen IMAX format that IMAX has peddled with digital projection. They never have called it IMAX since they reserve that for the large format theatre, and now that this theatre has Atmos, they probably could not say so anyway.

The Palladium also has a DBOX/AVX auditorium.

Lots of choices... and reserved seating too! Great place to see a movie in San Antonio!

Also, off topic, but Mr. Santikos passed away at the end of 2014, and the bulk of his fortune, including the operating business, is now administered by a local foundation. Wow, talk about community theatre!

http://www.therivardreport.com/santi...-philanthropy/

Last edited by avsplayer; 05-09-2015 at 12:01 PM.
post #36 of 51 Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'd still rather have the 15/70 if I had my choice . Not that that'll be a choice anymore. I've been skipping out on most IMAX lately because of my disinterest in 3-D. Shame, because I am kind of curious . I'm sure the 15/70 screen near me will get the laser system soon, I wonder how soon it'll trickle to the LIEMAX cinemas?
post #37 of 51 Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Saw this last night in a more or less run of the mill theater in central PA (Willamsport) and liked it. I wasn't blown away by the sound. Unlike most of the posts here I thought that it could've been turned up a notch or two. I pulled out my cheesy SPL meter on my phone during one the action scenes and it peaked at 86dB. There were several scenes where I could tell the bass should've been just gut ripping. This will translate well to BD.
post #38 of 51 Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
Where did that Ultron poster at the top come from?
That has to be literally the worst promo picture I have ever seen for a Marvel property.
I agree 100%. Probably about the worst promo pic I have ever seen as well.

Sharp 80 inch, Klipsch RF7ii's, RC64ii, RS52ii's, PSA XS30 X 2, Emotiva XMC-1, Oppo 103D, Roku 3, Emotiva XPA5, Marantz CC67, Panamax Surge and Harmony One remote
Garage: UMC-200, Roku2 , Emotiva Airmotiv 5's,Crown XLI 800, HSU TN1225 SUB, Vizio 24" TV.
Comp: Emotiva DC-1, Airmotiv 5's and Triska Sub.
post #39 of 51 Old 05-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 129
"Makes stupid look bad" is a compliment to films like these!
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #40 of 51 Old 05-10-2015, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Great poster for a so-so movie. I have the UK quad version in my home theater.
Well at least the promo pic you attached was consistent in regard to it being an action pose. The one at the top of the topic is just pitiful.

Sharp 80 inch, Klipsch RF7ii's, RC64ii, RS52ii's, PSA XS30 X 2, Emotiva XMC-1, Oppo 103D, Roku 3, Emotiva XPA5, Marantz CC67, Panamax Surge and Harmony One remote
Garage: UMC-200, Roku2 , Emotiva Airmotiv 5's,Crown XLI 800, HSU TN1225 SUB, Vizio 24" TV.
Comp: Emotiva DC-1, Airmotiv 5's and Triska Sub.
post #41 of 51 Old 05-10-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Thanks for the review. And thanks for the laser projection post too! I have two options within 20 miles.

I'm going to try to see this movie at my local (5 min drive, great parking, clean) Regal RPX in Atmos, it's showing at Paul's place (the Cinerama in Seattle) but I hate the drive and the parking although it's in 2D and Atmos there and it would be exciting to see the laser projection. Regal has gotten better at labeling their show times for RPX venues so that's great.

It sounds like the Cinerama with 2D and Atmos would be better than the IMAX 3D at the Pacific Science Center because of the Atmos at the Cinerama and because I prefer 2D. Yes both are less than 20 miles from my home yet it can take 90 minutes to get there and find parking. I just don't have that kind of time now (6 hours all together!?).

Cheers,

OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated.
post #42 of 51 Old 05-10-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 5147 Post(s)
Liked: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
The Dolby Atmos soundtrack was quite immersive, with lots of activity in the overhead speakers.

I thought the [IMAX] soundtrack was not as immersive as it had been earlier in Dolby Atmos. The Imax 12.1 system is channel-based, not object-based, with four speakers on the ceiling and one speaker array high up on each side wall. I didn't sense the sound from overhead as much, though the side-height speakers got a good workout.
Heard the movie in IMAX 12.0 opening weekend and got to hear it in Atmos today (my last chance before local Atmos theatres switch over to Mad Max). Of the two mixes, the Atmos presentation was more enveloping and seamless, what with its arrays of speakers across the walls and ceiling. It was a bubble of sound with no gaps, but slightly more generalized directionality.

By comparison, the IMAX mix felt familiar: 4 surrounds, 4 overheads, each channel being played back by one and only one speaker. This was home theatre on steroids. The soundfield wasn't as seamless, but the directionality was more distinct. The most noticeable difference was the clearer side-vs-rear and around-vs-above separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
post #43 of 51 Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
It makes me wanting a laser front projector for my own room @ my mansion.
At your mansion huh? Not your home, but your mansion?
post #44 of 51 Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I saw the movie at an IMAX theater... I found the movie to be quite average, but it was definitely loud. Nothing to write home about.
Same thing here, it was Loud, but okay... I wasnt blown away.... my son and I were happy when it was Over!
post #45 of 51 Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
At your mansion huh? Not your home, but your mansion?
I live on Apocalypse street. ...Right across Paradise winery. ...Ultron is not even part of the surrounding decor (reality).

* I can't wait to get this in 3D, on Blu.
post #46 of 51 Old 05-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 145
One of the four laser imax theaters is 15 minutes from me - Udvar Hazy's Imax near Chantilly VA. I just saw Age of Ultron this afternoon in it.

I was really impressed by the quality of the image. It was shown in 3D. After about 10 minutes I stopped feeling like I was watching a movie and instead became otally immersed in it.

I sincerely hope they'll be showing Star Wars in this theater, because you get spoiled with a 70 foot high screen and 12.1 sound.

November 2015 HT of the Month: The Vortex Theater
My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #47 of 51 Old 05-12-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Interesting, you just reminded me why I wear contacts for 3d movies.
post #48 of 51 Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
One of the four laser imax theaters is 15 minutes from me - Udvar Hazy's Imax near Chantilly VA. I just saw Age of Ultron this afternoon in it.

I was really impressed by the quality of the image. It was shown in 3D. After about 10 minutes I stopped feeling like I was watching a movie and instead became otally immersed in it.

I sincerely hope they'll be showing Star Wars in this theater, because you get spoiled with a 70 foot high screen and 12.1 sound.
Sweet! Nice to know the Udvar Hazy IMAX is now 3D capable with the new dual 4K laser! Last movie I saw there was 'Interstellar' so looking forward to catching 'Avengers'.

Derek
post #49 of 51 Old 05-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Sweet! Nice to know the Udvar Hazy IMAX is now 3D capable with the new dual 4K laser! Last movie I saw there was 'Interstellar' so looking forward to catching 'Avengers'.
Yup I saw Interstellar there too. The dual 4k laser 3D is really really cool. The only thing I didn't like is the glasses seemed to have a bit of "haze" or "fog" at the edges. It was distracting at first but after the first 15 mins or so I didn't really notice it.

If you get the right seat where the screen fills pretty much your whole FOV you get totally sucked in. It's a pretty cool experience for sure. Definitely go check it out. Showings are at 430/730/1030.

Added bonus: They *FINALLY* got with the times and started allowing food and drink in the theater. They even sell popcorn and soft drinks (and beer!!).

November 2015 HT of the Month: The Vortex Theater
My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #50 of 51 Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I happen to be working by the Seattle Cinerama today so I walked over to see the 3p of this show in 2D.

Laser projection:
The best visual theater experience I've ever had. I was in seat I 13 just behind the mid isle and 1 1/2 seats right of center. Sharp as I've ever seen, great color, skin tones were very real looking! I did notice some slight distortion (elongation) on the far left side of the screen from the curve of the screen, I think the sweet spot might be one more row back or forward from where I sat. Once the end credits rolled I moved to the center, both extreme ends of the screen were slightly elongated, left of center the far right side of the screen was slightly elongated. I did not find the distortion particularly distracting but would like to find the visual sweet spot. I thought dark scenes could have been darker.

Dolby Atmos:
The best surround presentation I've ever heard. The clarity in that room is stunning. The sound effects were so real...I looked around the theater several times thinking something was happening. The walls are treated with about 2/3 coverage with 7 root diffusers beautifully finished a dark burgundy stain and dull/satin varnish giving the room a very open sound. I thought that dialog was unintelligible at times, too bad. I thought bass was lacking at times.

Edit:
Exit signs:
From row I nearly invisible due to the width of the screen and the angle of the signs.

I also happened to walk by the Pacific Science Center IMAX, also laser projection, cool! It was 3D, I prefer 2D so I went to the Cinerama instead.

Cheers,

OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated.

Last edited by dnoonie; 05-12-2015 at 11:28 PM.
post #51 of 51 Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey man. But where did you actually liked the most the 3d effect?, where was it more immersive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page