Stanley Kubrick Films? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 183
What is your favourite Stanley Kubrick film?

Mine is The Shining

For those of you who arent familiar with Mr. Kubrick (or havent seen many of his films) Here is a list for ya

Fear and Desire
Killers Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

I love the shining so much I got the original 1981 release on VHS and its georgeous!!!!!!!

The only other movie I have seen from the list is LOLITA and to me it wasnt that good.... Kinda hard to follow and all...... (Didnt understand it really (I didnt realise that was HIS FILM!!))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2380 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
My fav is 2001.
However, all are worth seeing.

These 3 are among greatest films ever made:
Dr. Strangelove
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
MarshallW and GreySkies like this.

Space For Rent
post #3 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 396
post #4 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 358
2001: A Space Odyssey had the biggest influence on my filmgoing life and really made me take notice of the difference between a movie and "cinema".

Beyond that, I love Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, and I love A Clockwork Orange, and I love Paths of Glory....hell, I love 'em all.

Also, here's my vote for the most criminally underrated Kubrick film. Barry Lyndon. It truly is a brilliant film, and I believe ranks as one of the most beautiful films ever shot. It gives Malick a run for his cinematic money.
post #5 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Also, here's my vote for the most criminally underrated Kubrick film. Barry Lyndon. It truly is a brilliant film, and I believe ranks as one of the most beautiful films ever shot.
I have tried a couple of times to get through it, but I kept falling asleep.

Does anything actually happen in the film?

Space For Rent
post #6 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I have tried a couple of times to get through it, but I kept falling asleep.

Does anything actually happen in the film?
Quite a lot actually, but it's in super slow motion. Much discussed elsewhere - this film is is a study in concentration. It's a marvel of camera work and story, but paced so slow it will bypass all but the most intense viewers.
It's length doesn't help. I discovered over the years that I must be in a certain "Mode" to even attempt watching it. You must be willing to look in and take in what it has to give. It will not "Entertain You" in today's sensibility unless you give in to the pace. Few are willing to go there these days.
Good luck next time & there should be a next time sir. Watch the making of, and go at it again in the right frame of mind.

An example - the challenge in the barn - it's filmed as if in real time. No cuts, thus it takes it's time as in real life. Every argument, every possible pause (no fking holliwood cuts) and it takes time, as it would in a possible real life moment. It doesn't pay off and move on until it's ready. Obviously, most of the viewing audience were not ready for the real spacing of time in the scene.

Last edited by thedeskE; 07-14-2015 at 04:11 PM.
post #7 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I find it hard to divide the body of work and choose one. Obviously I might have
watched a few of the newer ones more (Shining, Full Metal) for selfish reasons, like the lead actor
or period/event. Point - there is a constant quality in everything he made. Few directors were ever
allowed the luxury he had with the product and the time to create it.

BTW - Spartacus was not a Kubrick Film - it was a Douglas/Studio mesh he happened to be on
as hired hand. It helped his career.
post #8 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW - Here is Kubrick - Enjoy the many fine links

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/
post #9 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Fear and Desire - (Haven't seen)
Killers Kiss - (Haven't seen)
The Killing - (Haven't seen)
Paths of Glory - (Haven't seen)
Spartacus - (Decent)
Lolita - (Haven't seen)
Dr. Strangelove - (Decent)
2001: A Space Odyssey - (Like it)
A Clockwork Orange - (Decent)
Barry Lyndon - (Haven't seen)
The Shining - (Good)
Full Metal Jacket - (Great)
Eyes Wide Shut - (Terrible)

I guess Kubrick is just not my jam. Full Metal Jacket is great but it's the only one that I would call a classic. Of the others that I have seen, all have flaws, pacing quite often being the biggest issue.
post #10 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post

I guess Kubrick is just not my jam. Full Metal Jacket is great but it's the only one that I would call a classic. Of the others that I have seen, all have flaws, pacing quite often being the biggest issue.
Kubrick NEVER rushed his films.
He almost always unwound his plots slowly, which is much different from today's filmmakers.

For me, at least, I find great reward in his works.
However, I do realize he isn't everyone's "jam."

Space For Rent
post #11 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 1266
Quote:
Kubrick NEVER rushed his films.
He almost always unwound his plots slowly, which is much different from today's filmmakers.

For me, at least, I find great reward in his works.
However, I do realize he isn't everyone's "jam."

Yeah. I got your "jam" right here..

post #12 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 1266
Most of the movies on the list that I've seen were fantastic, and left an impression on me. I think that's what made him so good. When I remember those movies, I "really" remember them. But not Eyes Wide Shut. Three tries, never finished it.
post #13 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
A film doesn't have to move fast or slow to be good. Pacing is only an issue if either a) nothing or b) too much, is happening. I would argue that often in a Kubrick film, nothing is happening. I appreciate the subtle effect he is going for but all too often it is a minimal effect at best. I am left feeling like "I get it, move on."

With the Shining, that sense of emptiness is a quality, but the emptiness can be achieved in other ways that aren't so methodical. I really do like the Shining, but I don't think it is Kubrick that makes it great. Most of its quality belongs to Jack. It's a film that I think can be remade with the right actor and right director and outshine the original. And for that reason, I can't call it a classic.

Maybe give it to Guillermo Del Toro and cast Gary Oldman, Keifer Sutherland, or Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead.
post #14 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 204
For me, it comes down to two, Orange and Jacket. Shining is to far out from the novel to make me happy.... It took me 40 years to finally get to the end of 2001, awake.....

Bobby 

post #15 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A film doesn't have to move fast or slow to be good. Pacing is only an issue if either a) nothing or b) too much, is happening. I would argue that often in a Kubrick film, nothing is happening. I appreciate the subtle effect he is going for but all too often it is a minimal effect at best. I am left feeling like "I get it, move on."

With the Shining, that sense of emptiness is a quality, but the emptiness can be achieved in other ways that aren't so methodical. I really do like the Shining, but I don't think it is Kubrick that makes it great. Most of its quality belongs to Jack. It's a film that I think can be remade with the right actor and right director and outshine the original. And for that reason, I can't call it a classic.

Maybe give it to Guillermo Del Toro and cast Gary Oldman, Keifer Sutherland, or Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead.
This is what Del Toro had to say about The Shining.

Del Toro described The Shining as being ''a Mount Everest of the haunted house movies''.

''Stanley Kubrick's absolute control over the medium turns his rock-solid framing and tense timing into real weapons pointed directly at the unsuspecting audience of The Shining (1980). No one has ever used the Steadicam as perfectly as he did in the tracking shots behind Torrance, Danny's tricycle. He uses the soundtrack brilliantly, fusing concrete music with sound effects and score to unsettle and position the uber-mannered, hyper-real performances of his actors. And, refreshingly, Kubrick is not above moments of Grand Guignol: the elevator doors spilling blood, the axe on the chest, the Grady twins bathed in blood or the old undead crone festering in the bathtub. He proves that great horror can be both shocking and a highly artistic endeavor.''
ChromeJob likes this.
post #16 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Yeah. I got your "jam" right here..
Hurtful and uncalled for...and, yes, I do have to refill my beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Most of the movies on the list that I've seen were fantastic, and left an impression on me. I think that's what made him so good. When I remember those movies, I "really" remember them. But not Eyes Wide Shut. Three tries, never finished it.
I must be the only guy around who liked EWS.
I thought its look into sexual obsession was great.

Space For Rent
post #17 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hurtful and uncalled for...and, yes, I do have to refill my beer.

I must be the only guy around who liked EWS.
I thought its look into sexual obsession was great.
I also liked EWS. In fact, the more I watch it, the more I like it.

BTW, as for Barry Lyndon, it also took me a few tries to finally get through the film. Now that I have, and have learned to appreciate it's leisurely pace, and think it truly is a masterpiece of cinema. It starts out almost whimsically light and frivolous, but by the time you get to the end of the film I find it becomes desperately tragic and fraught with despair. Over the course of 3 hours, Barry Lyndon grows deviously dark.

I highly recommend you try it again sometime and stick with it through to the end. I think you may find it grows on you.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #18 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I also liked EWS. In fact, the more I watch it, the more I like it.
I think what happened with EWS is it became a victim of the Cruise/Scientology pushback prevalent at the time.
If one looks at it strictly on its own merits, it becomes a fascinating film.

Quote:
I highly recommend you try it again sometime and stick with it through to the end. I think you may find it grows on you.
I haven't given up...I'll give it another go somewhere, sometime.

Space For Rent
post #19 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I haven't given up...I'll give it another go somewhere, sometime.
I am reminded of Woody Allen's comments on 2001: A Space Odyssey in the Life in Pictures documentary where he talks about not liking it when he first saw it, but saw it later and liked it more, then again later and liked it even more. He said it was the first time he saw a film where the director was "ahead" of him. This is exactly how it was with Barry Lyndon for me.
post #20 of 78 Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am reminded of Woody Allen's comments on 2001: A Space Odyssey in the Life in Pictures documentary where he talks about not liking it when he first saw it, but saw it later and liked it more, then again later and liked it even more. He said it was the first time he saw a film where the director was "ahead" of him. This is exactly how it was with Barry Lyndon for me.
Hmmm, interesting (maybe I'll take a look sooner rather that later).

For me, every viewing of 2001 is revelatory....there really is nothing like it.
I don't know if I could ever get tired of it.

The word "masterpiece" is thrown around a lot, but somehow the term seems appropriate here.

Space For Rent
post #21 of 78 Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
What is your favourite Stanley Kubrick film?

Mine is The Shining
Mine is "Lolita" - cause of Lolita.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #22 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 515
There's a pretty interesting documentary about the Shining called Room 237. Basically saying that Kubrick filmed the Moon landings for Nasa and the shining was his secret way of confessing. A lot of it is pretty far fetched but it's done really well and very thought provoking. There are some scenes in the movie that Kubrick changed just to piss off Stephen King. Worth watching if you are a fan.
lovinthehd likes this.

I caved!
post #23 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
It's a film that I think can be remade with the right actor and right director and outshine the original. And for that reason, I can't call it a classic.

I say make it follow the book, it'd be interesting to see that because Kubrick's is very different.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
post #24 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I say make it follow the book, it'd be interesting to see that because Kubrick's is very different.
There was a television version made in 1999 that followed the book very well. It didn't have the standout performances that Kubrick's did but I enjoyed it better.
Black adder likes this.

Bobby 

post #25 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
There was a television version made in 1999 that followed the book very well. It didn't have the standout performances that Kubrick's did but I enjoyed it better.
Yeah, some high powered actors and writers could do something special there and possibly do Doctor Sleep.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
post #26 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
There's a pretty interesting documentary about the Shining called Room 237. Basically saying that Kubrick filmed the Moon landings for Nasa and the shining was his secret way of confessing. A lot of it is pretty far fetched but it's done really well and very thought provoking. There are some scenes in the movie that Kubrick changed just to piss off Stephen King. Worth watching if you are a fan.
There is this 2002 mockumentary* Dark Side Of The Moon that got lots of people believing that Kubrick was hired by the government to advise them on faking a moonlanding. The 1977 movie Capricorn One must have had some impact on that mockumentary's maker since its subject is a Mars landing hoax.

*A mockumentary (a portmanteau of the words mock and documentary) is a type of film or television show in which fictional events are presented in documentary style to create a parody.

post #27 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
There are some scenes in the movie that Kubrick changed just to piss off Stephen King. Worth watching if you are a fan.
Shallow BS IMO - Kubrick would never waste time on something vindictive.
The doc makers are making up BS to promote their own lame production.
Tack and ChromeJob like this.
post #28 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Room 237 was entertaining as a collection of speculative theories by fans. Some rather plausible, others so farfetched and contrived that I laughed out loud.

I've loved Barry Lyndon since seeing it as a wee lad on release. Think it was 70mm six-track stereo at the Northpoint Theater in San Francisco, and oh yeah when
Spoiler!
you'd better believe having a fully equipped HT is gonna pay off. Like 2001, the film is a journey that requires patience and endurance, but rewards the attentive viewer.

I've always loved the sardonic wit of his films, just as evident in 2001 and Shining as it is in Strangelove, Lolita, Clockwork Orange. What blows me away about 2001 is how many different movies are packed into one. You've got this awe-inspiring tale of sci-fi on a grand scale; you've got this purely cinematic experience of sight and sound (and lack of sound, hardly ever done so well); and you've got this rather sly, sarcastic tale of black humor and commentary on the human condition that is almost unseen underneath all the technical wizardry and effective cinematic storytelling.

He was also a brilliant technician and innovator. He literally invented film techniques and practices that are I think still taught today.

A one-time chess shark in NYC, his mind was like a steel trap, and he left us a legacy of films that, even when they look a little dated (Orange is almost absurdly identifiably of its time), they're still meaningful today. Reading a book called STOP TEACHING OUR KIDS TO KILL, I'm repeatedly going back to the dark predictions of Burgess' book and Kubrick's film of it.

“Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #29 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 99
BTW, I saw that "Stphen King-approved" TV miniseries of The Shining. Oh, sure, it hewed closer to the book (and the book was really, really scary; wish I had that first paperback edition with the mylar cover). But it was so soap opera. I'll watch Rebecca DeMornay doing anything, but I was a little embarrassed for her. I couldn't watch much, because the boy playing Danny was so bad it hurt my head.

“Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #30 of 78 Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
A Clockwork Orange for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion