Ant-Man in 3D and Dolby Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
Ant-Man in 3D and Dolby Atmos

The latest movie from Marvel Studios looks ant-tastic in 3D, and the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is superb. But it's not for myrmecophobiacs.

I hadn't planned to see Ant-Man, the latest Marvel-superhero movie, but when Tom Norton, senior editor at Sound & Vision, recommended it for the quality of its 3D, I decided to check it out. Tom had seen it in Imax 3D and 5.0 sound, but the movie was also available in Dolby Atmos, so I undertook the harrowing journey through Los Angeles rush-hour traffic from Burbank to the AMC Century City 15 Prime theater, the closest one showing it in RealD 3D and Atmos. (The AMC Burbank 16 Prime theater is now a Dolby Cinema, which was showing Ant-Man in 2D, but even if it had been in 3D, it would have been Dolby 3D with spectrum-separation glasses, which I find very distracting.)

Of the movie itself, I'll only say it's quite silly—and great fun with lots of humor and many references to the Avengers. I especially liked Corey Stoll as the evil Darren Cross/Yellowjacket and Michael Pena as Ant-Man's sidekick Luis. Michael Douglas got an amazing digital rejuvenation as Dr. Hank Pym in 1989. (Of course, he looked his real age—with a sporty Van Dyke—when the story jumped to the present day.) Paul Rudd did a fine job as Scott Lang/Ant-Man, and Evangeline Lilly was effectively ambiguous in her loyalties—at first, anyway—as Pym's daughter Hope, who works for Cross. I thought the story dragged in some spots, and the climactic battle was a bit too extended, but overall, I enjoyed the movie's relatively lighthearted feel.

I was particularly interested to learn that the producers wanted to get at least some of the ant entomology correct, so they consulted with experts. Several different species are identified with certain characteristics—for example, bullet ants deliver painful stings, crazy ants can short out electrical systems, and fire ants build rafts and bridges with their bodies, just as described and depicted in the movie. Of course, not everything portrayed about ants is realistic—most ants are actually female, and the mental communication with the ants seen in the movie is way outside the bounds of reality. But at least the producers paid some attention to detail here, which is commendable.

Tom was right, the 3D is excellent, some of the best I've seen. It's a 3D conversion—it was not shot with 3D-camera rigs—but Stereo D and Prime Focus did a great job with the conversion. I don't recall seeing much of anything pop out of the screen (a good thing in my book), but there are many shots that extend way behind the screen plane, and they are very effective. I'm sure this will be a reference Blu-ray for 3D imagery.

Likewise, the Dolby Atmos soundtrack was wonderful, with lots of sound all around—and above—the room. Especially noteworthy is the scene when Scott first tries the Ant-Man suit and gets sucked into a vacuum cleaner and later when he infiltrates Pym Tech through the water main, not to mention all the fight scenes that careen around the room.

Speaking of sound, the levels were not particularly high, which was surprising for a superhero movie. Leq was 90.5 dBC, Lmax was 113 dBC (that's pretty high, though momentary), L10 was 92 dBC, and L50 was 77 dBC.

While I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, there were several things I didn't like about the presentation at the AMC Century City 15 Prime. For one thing, there was some vignetting (darkening) along the edges of the image, and the alignment with the screen was not perfect—there was some obvious bleed beyond the screen borders onto the masking area, which led to some odd artifacts at the edges when viewed through 3D glasses. Also, as in many AMC Prime locations, the seats have tactile transducers that shake along with loud LFE, which I find extremely distracting. But worst of all, the lights suddenly snapped on at full brightness just as the credits started, even though there were two teasers, one after the initial credits and another at the very end. I'd never seen this before—the lights normally come on gradually during the credits or not at all until the very end.

Despite the problems with the presentation, I thoroughly enjoyed Ant-Man, and I can recommend it to all fans of the Marvel franchise. (Look for Stan Lee's obligatory cameo near the end of the movie.) I encourage you to seek out a theater that's showing it in 3D and Dolby Atmos if there's one near you, but even if not, I'm sure you'll have a good time—that is, as long as you don't suffer from myrmecophobia.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
dew42, taxman48, qwho51 and 4 others like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Cool! I wish I could find an Atmos theater locally, it's so frustrating. Plenty of 3D screens, plenty of IMAX, but no Atmos and no HDR in my city (Montreal).
post #3 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Cool! I wish I could find an Atmos theater locally, it's so frustrating. Plenty of 3D screens, plenty of IMAX, but no Atmos and no HDR in my city (Montreal).
Bro, we don't even have IMAX in Christchurch, NZ. Atmos and HDR will probably arrive some time in 2030
RochRx7 likes this.
post #4 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
...no Atmos and no HDR in my city (Montreal).
Cinéma Cineplex Forum on St. Catherine is showing the movie Minions in Atmos: http://www.cineplex.com/Theatre/cinema-cineplex-forum

Not too far away, the Cinéma Cineplex Laval (Colossus Laval) is showing Ant-Man in Atmos and 3D: http://www.cineplex.com/Theatre/cine...colossus-laval

Sanjay

Last edited by sdurani; 07-22-2015 at 03:26 PM.
post #5 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4994 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Should be good on Blu-ray 3D ... from amazon Germany, or Italia, or Brazil, Or Japan, or China ... Marvel/Disney Studios title ... no 3D here in North America. ...Or unless there is money to be made by Disney Studios in releasing it also in 3D (Blu-ray).

As for Dolby Atmos, maybe the UHD Blu-ray? ...Because there are no theater here on my island with Dolby Atmos.

Ant-Man ya man.
post #6 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
As mentioned by sdurani above, we have 2 options in Montreal. I've seen several movies in Atmos at the Forum downtown. HDR is a no-go though, for now...
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #7 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Interesting review as I saw the Atmos version at AMC Prime Burbank and was sorely disappointed with the Atmos soundtrack. The overhead channels rarely got engaged making for a very disappointing presentation. Your good experience tells me that not all AMC Atmos theaters are created equal. I will try out the Century City AMC the next time I go for an Atmos movie. Ant Man was a big disappointment for me.
post #8 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Should be good on Blu-ray 3D ... from amazon Germany, or Italia, or Brazil, Or Japan, or China ... Marvel/Disney Studios title ... no 3D here in North America. ...Or unless there is money to be made by Disney Studios in releasing it also in 3D (Blu-ray).
The Digital Bits made an initial announcement for the Blu-ray versions today--single-disc (2D only) and 2-disc (3D and 2D). And yes, that means North America will get it both ways.

I posted in another thread that all the Marvel movies that were in 3D in theaters have been getting the same treatment on Blu-ray. Ant-Man does not appear to be an exception to this. Indeed, I would be surprised if any Marvel movie, that originally came out in 3D, did not receive the 3D treatment for home use.

post #9 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got back from the TCL Chinese showing this morning (first time ever there; great theater! 10:30am showing and only a few others in the whole theater!).

We had a GREAT time; wife knew nothing about the film or character and really loved the movie.

I normally don't like 3D but felt that this was probably one case where a large screen and 3D could probably be good tools for the types of visual effects they would be using and indeed the 3D effects were very impressive and fun.

HOWEVER, all the scenes that did not make use of the depth and size effects were really annoying in 3D and we are really wondering what other movie we will want to see that way.

The previews of the other movies in 3D including Star Wars did not look good at all. Just busy and unnecessary.

One of my biggest gripes about 3D is takes a giant screen like IMAX and makes it look smaller. My eyes react like i'm focusing on a screen that is smaller but closer (and with more depth--when used that way. Unfortunately in most 3D movies the depth just looks like layered cardboard cutouts...). The 2D movie previews were actually more immersive on that huge IMAX screen than were the 3D previews.

The new laser projectors helped with the brightness, but the glasses still considerably dim the picture and just slightly tilting my head messed with the 3D effect.

God I hope the Dolby Vision theaters will show The Force Awakens in 2D (and HDR!)

Last edited by skoolpsyk; 07-22-2015 at 05:18 PM.
post #10 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 371
The three of us that went to see this thought it was thoroughly mediocre and bland. The tone and plot jumped all over the place, sometimes disrupting individual scenes. Too many ancillary characters, too many attempts at twists. It kinda felt like "Improv Night in the Marvel Universe". Easily the worst of the Marvel films. It's a shame that Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish weren't given free reign with this one, it could have been really special.

Looky here!
post #11 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
The Digital Bits made an initial announcement for the Blu-ray versions today--single-disc (2D only) and 2-disc (3D and 2D). And yes, that means North America will get it both ways.

I posted in another thread that all the Marvel movies that were in 3D in theaters have been getting the same treatment on Blu-ray. Ant-Man does not appear to be an exception to this. Indeed, I would be surprised if any Marvel movie, that originally came out in 3D, did not receive the 3D treatment for home use.
This gets me hyped a bit, as I still really like to watch movies in 3D.
post #12 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
Interesting review as I saw the Atmos version at AMC Prime Burbank and was sorely disappointed with the Atmos soundtrack. The overhead channels rarely got engaged making for a very disappointing presentation. Your good experience tells me that not all AMC Atmos theaters are created equal. I will try out the Century City AMC the next time I go for an Atmos movie. Ant Man was a big disappointment for me.
Your comment about Atmos theaters not being the same concurs with my own experience, but even worse is the disparity of our experiences at the same theater with different titles. I thought the Atmos presentation of Inside Out was much better at Burbank than it was at the El Capitan, while you found it to be poor for Ant-Man at Burbank and I found it to be very good at Century City.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #13 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Scotty: nice seeing you again in the CES show in NY. I posted my review in the Ant Man thread in this forum. It was nice to cool off from this brutal NY weather last Sunday. It took over the #1 spot for revenue for the opening weekend. Let me know when you are in the big Apple again, we will have a few "lemonades" together.. Matt

post #14 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Scotty: nice seeing you again in the CES show in NY. I posted my review in the Ant Man thread in this forum. It was nice to cool off from this brutal NY weather last Sunday. It took over the #1 spot for revenue for the opening weekend. Let me know when you are in the big Apple again, we will have a few "lemonades" together.. Matt
Sounds great! Why not post a link to your review in this thread...a bit of cross linkage!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #15 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Scott,

Did you find the volume of the movie too loud? I find this an issue with AMC theaters and no longer attend them. I've heard other complaints from people too regarding them.

I now attend Emagine theaters which have very nice, power controlled, leather reclining seats (where no one can kick your seat from behind) with reasonable volume levels. Oh, lower prices than AMC too.

post #16 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Your comment about Atmos theaters not being the same concurs with my own experience, but even worse is the disparity of our experiences at the same theater with different titles. I thought the Atmos presentation of Inside Out was much better at Burbank than it was at the El Capitan, while you found it to be poor for Ant-Man at Burbank and I found it to be very good at Century City.
It appears so. I wonder if they re-calibrate the system before each new movie (maybe they have different technicians doing the calibration)? In any event, it's good to know that there is a disparity in the presentations (even in the same theaters). Look forward to Mission Impossible - although I might go and watch in Laser IMAX at TCL. :-)
post #17 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Laval ( The Colossus ) has 3D Dolby Atmos I plan to go there this week.
post #18 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 View Post
Laval ( The Colossus ) has 3D Dolby Atmos I plan to go there this week.
That's where Mum lives.
post #19 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, but I'm setting up Atmos in my dedicated theater so I won't have to go out ever again.
Orbitron likes this.
post #20 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's very good...me I'm waiting for Ant-Woman, in 3D & in Atmos, @ home.
post #21 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

The latest movie from Marvel Studios looks ant-tastic in 3D, and the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is superb. But it's not for myrmecophobiacs.
Was I the only one that had to Google what the hell myrmecophobiac meant?

Guess I should have used deductive reasoning given the context of the article.
post #22 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I assumed it meant fear of ants? Too lazy to actually look it up
post #23 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchzwalp View Post
Yes, but I'm setting up Atmos in my dedicated theater so I won't have to go out ever again.
Too bad you'll probably have to wait for the UHD Blu-ray version to get the Atmos track.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #24 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Was I the only one that had to Google what the hell myrmecophobiac meant?

Guess I should have used deductive reasoning given the context of the article.
I had hoped the definition would be clear in context, and that people might find the word weird and interesting.
qwho51, Dhalmo, popalock and 1 others like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #25 of 44 Old 07-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
This gets me hyped a bit, as I still really like to watch movies in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchzwalp View Post
Because of my screen size, 3D is still a real viable and enjoyable thing for me, (since I watch my everyday content in there also, putting on the glasses and concentrating on a movie all the way through, is what separates the everyday from the "movie night" experience) and by the time this hits BluRay I should have my immersive audio AVR, so now for the real test....Will they give us everything on one disc? Hopefully by then it will just happen, I'll be extremely disappointed of it ends up being another split release like Gravity.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 07-22-2015 at 11:28 PM.
post #26 of 44 Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
It's a 3D conversion—it was not shot with 3D-camera rigs—but Stereo D and Prime Focus did a great job with the conversion.

I'd have to imagine that part of that is because so much of the imagery in the action scenes would have been CGI, which would be much easier to port into a 3D space given that the animation itself has three dimensional qualities.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #27 of 44 Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Liked: 13
I just looked up showings in Memphis. We have Dolby Atmos showing and a separate 3D showing, but not together...
post #28 of 44 Old 07-23-2015, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I watched this in newly opened and one of the first dolby atmos theater in North Carolinas. It is Cine bowl at Park commons in Cary, NC. This opened on July 10th.
http://www.ncheadlines.com/releases/...cation-in-cary

Something tells me it is not playing yet ATMOS track. Although atmos lay out of speakers is clearly visible. And if it is, I dont think atmos is properly tuned up at this location yet. I was not impressed. I had seen San Andres at another location in Chicago and Atmos blew it out of the water.
This is a good film but Atmos sound track did not come out well at this new location. The sound stage was front heavy. I hope another atmos theater opens up in the area to compare.

Last edited by drriddhish; 07-23-2015 at 08:14 AM.
post #29 of 44 Old 07-23-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
The Atmos presentation was pretty good at the Dolby Cinema in Burbank, with noticeable overhead action (including brief moments of dialogue). The first time he tries the Ant-Man suit was a good example of sounds appearing from all around as the character tumbles all over the place.

Sanjay
post #30 of 44 Old 07-23-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
I had hoped the definition would be clear in context, and that people might find the word weird and interesting.
It triggered my hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page