AVS Forum banner

Disney's The Jungle Book (2016): Jon Favreau's Breathtaking Live Action Take

2K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  SteveCallas 
#1 ·
The first official trailer for Disney's live action remake of The Jungle Book is blowing up the internet this morning. Jon Favreau seems to have made a breathtaking version of the beloved cartoon, and frankly, this trailer had me as excited as I was the first time I saw the trailer for Avatar.

There is talk of this movie releasing in Dolby Vision as well. I'll line up on day 1 for this movie with the family. Watch and enjoy!

#14 ·
^^^^ thx for posting all the trailers from the superbowl into the threads.

I've got 3 kids ages 10/12/14 now, they watched the cartoon versions countless times of course.

Saw the trailer last night, not sure if the new movie target is young kids or what ...

#17 ·
Wow.. .Looks like an awesome Dolby Cinema showing...

Reactions: Ximori
#21 ·
I'm tempted to take an hour drive to Burbank just to see it in Dolby Vision.

Nice move for Favreau to cast some heavyweight actors to do the voices. Incidentally, I found another version coming out in 2018 with another cast of outstanding performers doing voice-overs.

Anyway, it's about time for Disney to do live-action to their classics like the way Marvel is doing now with comic books. Cinderella was impressive and now this. Hope Beauty & The Beast comes out next and cast a fresh face, like they did with Cinderella.

#23 ·
Cross-post from another thread but thought it should also belong here. :p

I just got back from viewing The Jungle Book in 3D in an IMAX with Laser with the new 12-channel audio system. It was my first time in an IMAX with Laser theater. JESUS! The best audio and video quality I've heard and seen in a commercial theater so far. It was FREAKING loud. Absolutely loved it! Great movie too! :D

#25 ·
I saw the 2D version with Dolby Atmos yesterday morning with only a few other people in attendance. I was curious about the box office on this but evidently it's doing fine.

This version has a darker mood probably more in line with the original story and the screenplay that Disney rejected in 1967. Bill Murray and Christopher Walken seemed to be having a good time with their voice-overs. The boy who played Mowgli was okay, seemed a little awkward at first but got into the part as the movie progressed. This film does not have the bright colors of the animation but rather the color drained look so popular nowadays, although there are parts that have more color to them, a conscious choice by the director methinks. I wondered how they would incorporate the Sherman Brothers songs into this live action version and for the most part they worked. The CGI was outstanding, very lifelike. Parts of the movie may be too intense for very young children. 8/10.

#26 ·
This version has a darker mood probably more in line with the original story and the screenplay that Disney rejected in 1967. Bill Murray and Christopher Walken seemed to be having a good time with their voice-overs. The boy who played Mowgli was okay, seemed a little awkward at first but got into the part as the movie progressed. This film does not have the bright colors of the animation but rather the color drained look so popular nowadays, although there are parts that have more color to them, a conscious choice by the director methinks. I wondered how they would incorporate the Sherman Brothers songs into this live action version and for the most part they worked. The CGI was outstanding, very lifelike. Parts of the movie may be too intense for very young children. 8/10.

Nice review, and I agree with most of it. This is a visually beautiful film, and the best CGI that I have yet seen. I am not a fan of 3-D but decided to give an IMAX 3-D viewing a try. For me the 3-D is on the level of Gravity, Hugo, and Avatar. It is used mostly for depth rather than "in your face". In any event-this needs to be seen on a large screen. The film has a lot of heart, and I feel the boy did an outstanding job. Might be a little scary for the very young but overall a fine family film.
I was immersed from start to finish. 9.5/10

#27 ·
I watched it in 3D and really enjoyed it. The meshing of CGI and live action is pretty darn good. I like the fact that the wolves are more prominent in the beginning of the movie and Shere Khan is very menacing from the outset. Very good work by Idris Elba. The tonal changes are a bit weird but sort of follow the old Disney animation. It was a very nice story from start to finish and very easy to feel comfortable in the cgi jungle without feeling like it was phony.

#29 ·
They did a good job on it. Made it their own but still paid homage to the original. I could see a sequel with king Louie coming back. I swear walken was trying to channel an Italian mafia kingpin or an evil warmonger.

#32 ·
My repost from the Blu-ray Review Thread:

"Saw this theatrically the other day. Felt IMO, just a little bit like the Lion King (with a twist of Planet of the Apes). It's otherwise enjoyable, and I'd buy it on UHD if ever released to that format."

Good, but not quite excellent.

#33 ·
Just watched this - very enjoyable movie with excellent surround sound and a beautiful picture. I was entertained as the boy meets one well voiced character after another while maintaining a coherent plot.

Definitely stood out to me as some of the best use of surround sound i’ve heard in a while. Up there with Ready Player One and Titan AE in terms of surround use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.