Movies Released in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos Sound - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Jungle Book is only screening in 3D in both Dolby Cinema's in the Netherlands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie# View Post
Jungle Book is only screening in 3D in both Dolby Cinema's in the Netherlands
ughh, that's disturbing news...
post #33 of 58 Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The two Dolby cinemas near me have one listing for The Jungle Book in RealD 3D and one for Dolby Cinema @ AMC Prime. Does the lack of "Dolby Cinema" in the RealD listing imply that the RealD is just regular 3D and not Dolby? I normally don't go out of my way for 3D, but I hear that this movie is one to watch in 3D.

post #34 of 58 Old 04-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ugh as well, I was looking forward to seeing this at the AMC Empire in NYC but saw today that they booked the Dolby 3D version into the Dolby Cinema room. Earlier this week, the advanced booking times had the 2D version in the Dolby Cinema room so it seems like they decided to swap, unfortunately.

I'm confused - I thought I had read that the Dolby Cinema spec didn't include 3D because they were too dim? Is that recollection wrong?
post #35 of 58 Old 04-14-2016, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
The two Dolby cinemas near me have one listing for The Jungle Book in RealD 3D and one for Dolby Cinema @ AMC Prime. Does the lack of "Dolby Cinema" in the RealD listing imply that the RealD is just regular 3D and not Dolby? I normally don't go out of my way for 3D, but I hear that this movie is one to watch in 3D.
Yes, if a show time has the "Real3D" icon, then it's just a regular 3D version, not Dolby Vision 3D. In fact, even if a movie had both Dolby Cinema + Real3D icons, that would still mean it's a Real3D version that's showing in the Dolby Cinema room. AMC uses the "Dolby Cinema" icon to designate a a movie is showing in that specific room, even if it's not a mastered in Dolby Vision.

To get Dolby Vision 3D, you would need to see the "Dolby 3D" icon and "Dolby Cinema." For example, Jungle Book opens this evening at the AMC Empire in NYC. If you look up the movie on Fandango, you'll see that the 7:00 pm show is designated as "Real3D" and "Dolby Cinema @ AMC Prime" while the 10:00 pm show is "Dolby 3D" and "Dolby Cinema @ AMC Prime." Only the 10 pm show is Dolby Vision 3D.

http://www.fandango.com/amcempire25_aaore/theaterpage

And my recollection was correct - AMC did say that it would only book Dolby Vision 2D movies into the Dolby Cinema rooms. From Scott Wilkinson's writeup about the Dolby Cinema prototype theater from February 2016:

Quote:
When I was invited to visit the Dolby Cinema Prototype Theater a couple of weeks ago, I jumped at the chance. Two movies were played on consecutive evenings: The Revenant in 2D from a 4K DCP (digital cinema package) and The Martian in 3D from a 2K DCP. I was especially interested in seeing The Martian in 3D Dolby Vision, since AMC has decided to show all movies in its Dolby Cinema auditoriums in 2D—a decision I applaud, BTW. Still, this was a rare opportunity to see Dolby Vision HDR in 3D.
http://www.avsforum.com/dolby-cinema-prototype-theater/

As far as I can tell, the AMC Empire is only Dolby Cinema room in the chain that's booked with the 3D version. Every other Dolby Cinema room is showing the 2D version. I really don't understand why AMC is doing this. I personally avoid 3D movies so it looks like I'm going to pass on Dolby Cinema Jungle Book at the AMC Empire.

Last edited by peterlee; 04-14-2016 at 07:26 AM.
post #36 of 58 Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

As far as I can tell, the AMC Empire is ONLY Dolby Cinema room in the chain that's booked with the 3D version. Every other Dolby Cinema room is showing the 2D version. I really don't understand why AMC is doing this. I personally avoid 3D movies so it looks like I'm going to pass on Dolby Cinema Jungle Book at the AMC Empire.
Is the price the same? or are they adding a 3D upcharge in addition to the dolby vision upcharge? that would explain part of it.

They are also probably wanting to compete with IMAX as the premium theater experience and IMAX is pretty much exclusively 3D.

I'm sure they've looked into it and probably theater goers are expecting 3D now as part of the event experience.

I wouldn't mind so much if they gave a choice, but it's probably too much hassle for them with no real benefit.

I won't be surprised if all the dolby vision theaters eventually go 3D. That will be the end of theater going for me, but I don't think they'll miss me.
post #37 of 58 Old 04-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

The price is a dollar more with Dolby Vision 3D in Dolby Cinema - $22.99 versus $21.99 for Dolby Vision 2D. What's irritating is that even when they show a non-Dolby Vision movie in the Dolby Cinema room, they still charge $21.99. This theatre also has an IMAX 3D room which has also booked Jungle Book 3D for $21.99. So Dolby Vision 2D already cost the same as IMAX 3D and now, Dolby Vision 3D is even pricier than IMAX 3D.
post #38 of 58 Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll be going to the Edwards RPX theater with Dolby Atmos to see this in 3D then. This movie was actually shot natively in 3D, so I don't know why you would be so against seeing it in its intended format. And to be near what is apparently the only theater in the country showing it in both Dolby Cinema and Dolby 3D, why not?
post #39 of 58 Old 04-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll be going to the Edwards RPX theater with Dolby Atmos to see this in 3D then. This movie was actually shot natively in 3D, so I don't know why you would be so against seeing it in its intended format. And to be near what is apparently the only theater in the country showing it in both Dolby Cinema and Dolby 3D, why not?
I don't find 3D convincing, regardless of whether it's a native 3D or 3D conversion. But 3D with Dolby Cinema is particularly annoying because it neuters the chief benefit of Dolby Cinema - higher peak luminance/brightness. 2D Dolby Vision reaches 31 foot-lamberts, over twice the 14 fL peak luminance of conventional projection. And since contrast ratio is peak luminance divided by minimum luminance, the higher peak luminance of Dolby Vision is in part what gives it its much higher contrast ratio.

3D Dolby Vision has a peak luminance of 14 fL, the same as regular projectors. You can see this as glass half-full because regular 3D has a peak luminance of 3 to 4 fL so Dolby 3D is a big improvement over most other 3D systems. Since I'm not a fan of 3D, it's glass half-empty for me and the booking of Dolby 3D is a lost opportunity to see the much brighter and higher contrast Dolby Vision 2D version.

The booking decisions of Empire 25 are mystifying. When Dolby-graded Zootopia was released, all the AMC theatres except Empire 25 booked it into their Dolby Cinema rooms. On the other hand, Empire 25 continued to show box office dud Gods of Egypt in its Dolby Cinema theatre. If the decision to book 3D Dolby Jungle Book is driven by a desire charge $1 more over the 2D Dolby, then I don't understand why they passed on the opportunity to capture the $7 surcharge of Zootopia in Dolby Cinema over Zootopia in a regular room.
skoolpsyk likes this.

Last edited by peterlee; 04-15-2016 at 09:52 AM.
post #40 of 58 Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone one else having trouble finding tickets for "X-men Apocalypse"? its 2 weeks out at this point and no pre-sale or movie schedule for my local AMC prime cinema (Hawthorne 12, Vernon Hills, IL)
Also, how are they working this since "Alice: through the looking glass" has the same release date as X-men (5/27) and is a dolby prime film just like Xmen---with one theater having a 'prime' setup?

ISF/HAA certified
post #41 of 58 Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jisaac View Post
Anyone one else having trouble finding tickets for "X-men Apocalypse"? its 2 weeks out at this point and no pre-sale or movie schedule for my local AMC prime cinema (Hawthorne 12, Vernon Hills, IL)
Also, how are they working this since "Alice: through the looking glass" has the same release date as X-men (5/27) and is a dolby prime film just like Xmen---with one theater having a 'prime' setup?
Yeah, I noticed that AMC itself hasn't started selling the tickets for AMC prime, but Fandango did for a short while (now it's gone) - I bought mine for the opening night showing at AMC Burbank yesterday. I had to sign up for Fandango alerts on the movie page and then got a link to pre-order the tickets a couple of days later. Try Fandango instead.

Cheers,

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology Mythos ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
post #42 of 58 Old 09-06-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 07-25-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Scott, are you still tracking this list and updating it?
post #43 of 58 Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I'll add titles to this list as I learn of them, so keep checking back to discover movies released in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos sound. And please send me a PM or email (scott@avsforum.com) if you know of any such movies that aren't on this list. Hopefully, you'll get to experience them at a Dolby Cinema.
Scott, Dolby finally updated their site to keep their own list of Dolby Vision and Atmos titles. They added a couple more to this year and a bunch more for next.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html
post #44 of 58 Old 02-03-2017, 05:16 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
From that above list of thirteen movie titles Scott; how many would you say are very good movies...three, four?
Here is my take

San Andreas (5/29/15)

The Martian (10/2/15)

The Revenant (12/25/15)

Deadpool (2/12/16)

Batman v Superman (3/25/16)

Captain America: Civil War (5/6/16)

Star Trek Beyond (7/22/16)

Suicide Squad (8/5/16)

Deepwater Horizon (9/30/16)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (9/30/16)

The Great Wall (2/17/17)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dean Men Tell No Tales (5/26/17)

Wonder Woman (6/2/17)
post #45 of 58 Old 03-01-2017, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

hmmm, I just bought tickets for Logan, but I don't see it on the list....
post #46 of 58 Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
hmmm, I just bought tickets for Logan, but I don't see it on the list....

It should default to 2017 movies. Just scroll down until you see March 3rd, 2017 in the left column.

Logan is stated to be graded in Dolby Vision and encoded in ATMOS.
skoolpsyk likes this.
post #47 of 58 Old 03-01-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

It should default to 2017 movies. Just scroll down until you see March 3rd, 2017 in the left column.

Logan is stated to be graded in Dolby Vision and encoded in ATMOS.

Awesome; thanks for the link, that will be where I'll check from now on (hopefully Bladerunner 2049 will eventually be on that list too!)
post #48 of 58 Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Scott I saw Rouge One in the Dolby Cinema in 3D at AMC 25 in NY. It was the only way they viewed it and it used bespoke Dolby 3D glasses. I hope its the last of that!
skoolpsyk likes this.
post #49 of 58 Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The one thing I noticed about the Dolby Cinema theaters is that it's much much louder than the average non-Dolby Cinema theater. The loudness reminds me of my younger days going to brutal death metal concerts, which are the loudest events a human being will ever encounter in their lifetime.
post #50 of 58 Old 04-03-2017, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
A master list of movies released in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos sound. See them in a Dolby Cinema if possible; you won't be sorry!
Scott, it seems to me that there would be great value in adding an indicator to this list if the movie is available as DV/Atmos on UHD disk. From this link (http://www.avsforum.com/first-dolby-...les-uncovered/), it appears that today there are zero and only two confirmed so far. Someone has already gone to the effort to link the movie list in this thread to Ralph's reviews .. hopefully providing a UHD disk indicator wouldn't become too onerous at least for a while .. but would grow in value for all the members who are capable of enjoying the DV/Atmos experience at home.

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
post #51 of 58 Old 04-04-2017, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Def. watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Alien: Covenant in Dolby!!
Logan was a treat to watch in Dolby as well, though I think the sound was better than the PQ.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #52 of 58 Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Well, that's completely subjective, of course! I provide my evaluation of the quality of the movie itself in my writeups, but that's only my evaluation. To each their own, I say! As others have said, HDR and immersive sound can't make a bad movie good, they can only make it look and sound better than it otherwise would.
Amen.

I will say though, that I'm a sucker for good visuals and sound regardless of how good or bad the movie was.

For example, the latest Resident Evil movie was unmitigated garbage IMO, but seeing it in smoothed out 3D on my projector was awesome.

I wish there were a way to get 3D and HDR at the same time. Maybe streaming services? I'd pay to see The Hobbit at home at 48 FPS, even though I own the Blurays. Although I suspect that the dimness of 3D would negatively impact HDR in some sense, at least until projectors get bright enough to handle both at the same time (or even handle HDR well).
post #53 of 58 Old 05-06-2017, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
The one thing I noticed about the Dolby Cinema theaters is that it's much much louder than the average non-Dolby Cinema theater. The loudness reminds me of my younger days going to brutal death metal concerts, which are the loudest events a human being will ever encounter in their lifetime.
Boy, I'd say it is no where near that loud. Certainly not that loud for such a long extended time. I went to a lot of metal concerts in my youth. My ears would be ringing for a day or two after. Certainly not experiencing anything like that from going to a Dolby Cinema.
post #54 of 58 Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 AM

I'm surprised to see my local Dolby Cinema is showing Baywatch this weekend instead of the new Pirates movie. You'd think a Pirates movie would benefit more than a Baywatch movie. I'll probably go see the Pirates movie at an IMAX theater instead.
post #55 of 58 Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Shame that most of these movies wont/dont have Atmos audio on the bluray
post #56 of 58 Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 AM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is showing at my local Dolby Cinema this weekend. I'm no huge fan of the movie, but I'm definitely going to check it out. Interested in seeing how an older movie looks that is updated for Dolby Cinema.
post #57 of 58 Old 09-22-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Welp, Bladerunner 2049 is listed but alas, Bladerunner The Final Cut is not...
post #58 of 58 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
Welp, Bladerunner 2049 is listed but alas, Bladerunner The Final Cut is not...
The original Bladerunner was released in the Dolby Cinema. I don't know if it was regraded for Vision or remixed for ATMOS, but it did seems to have a lot of immersive audio coming from above.

@Scott Wilkinson

Have you heard anything about the upcoming Marvel movies getting any special Dolby attention? Thor 3, Star Wars 8, The Black Panther, etc? I'd assume so, but they're still absent from the main list on Dolby's website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby cinema , dolby vision , hdr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page