Movies Released in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos Sound - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
Movies Released in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos Sound

A master list of movies released in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos sound. See them in a Dolby Cinema if possible; you won't be sorry!

http://www.avsforum.com/movies-relea...d-atmos-sound/
skoolpsyk, robnix, jpappas and 5 others like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 04-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
From that above list of thirteen movie titles Scott; how many would you say are very good movies...three, four?
BillFree and mo949 like this.
post #3 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
In my opinion, high dynamic range (HDR) imagery and immersive 3D sound represent the most significant evolution in the cinema experience in a very long time. The most prominent purveyor of these technologies is Dolby Labs with its Dolby Vision HDR images and Dolby Atmos immersive-sound systems, which are combined with super-comfy seats in Dolby Cinema auditoriums. Currently, there are only eight Dolby Cinema locations in the US and two in the Netherlands, with more on the way; for a complete list of these venues, all of which use laser-illuminated projectors, click here.

This list also includes Imax and other venues with laser-illuminated projectors, and the Imax locations show at least some titles graded for Imax HDR, but the dynamic range isn't quite as wide as it is in Dolby Vision (a peak brightness of 22 foot-lamberts versus 31 fL, respectively, both with very low black levels). Still, even movies graded in standard dynamic range will generally look better from any laser-illuminated projection system than a conventional xenon lamp-based projector.

As I've seen and heard several times now, movies graded and shown in Dolby Vision HDR with sound mixed in Dolby Atmos provide an exceptional cinema experience. However, some movies shown in Dolby Cinemas are graded in standard dynamic range, and it's nearly impossible to tell which ones are HDR from the promotional material or the theater's website.

So here is a list of all the movies that have been or will be graded and shown in Dolby Vision HDR with Atmos sound in Dolby Cinema theaters, along with their release date. Some have already finished their theatrical run, while others are waiting in the wings. (I hope they are all released in HDR on Ultra HD Blu-ray!) If you live near one of the Dolby Cinema locations, I strongly recommend that you see the upcoming titles there.

Tomorrowland (5/22/15)
San Andreas (5/29/15)
Inside Out (6/19/15)
Pixels (7/24/15)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (7/31/15)
The Perfect Guy (9/11/15)
Everest (9/18/15)
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (9/18/15)
The Martian (10/2/15)
Pan (10/9/15)
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (11/20/15)
In the Heart of the Sea (12/11/15)
The Jungle Book (2016)

I'll add titles to this list as I learn of them, so keep checking back to discover movies released in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos sound. And please send me a PM or email (scott@avsforum.com) if you know of any such movies that aren't on this list. Hopefully, you'll get to experience them at a Dolby Cinema.
I'm glad to see they are coming, But they movies you listed or the ones I seen listed on streaming I would not buy any of them.
Ricker62 likes this.

post #4 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Still nothing on whether Star Wars VII will be in Dolby Cinema either.
post #5 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Still nothing on whether Star Wars VII will be in Dolby Cinema either.
I'm still waiting for this news too. I can't imagine the would miss such an opportunity as theaters are going to be packed and what better way to introduce this to a public that has never heard of it?

What gives me the most hope is that the trailer was actually released in HDR, so I would be shocked if the movie isn't...

http://www.breathecast.com/articles/...-vision-27193/

"On Wednesday at CinemaCon, the trailer for JJ. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens debuted in Dolby Vision, a new-fangled format offering high dynamic range (HDR)."
post #6 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
From that above list of thirteen movie titles Scott; how many would you say are very good movies...three, four?

You're being generous imo. Its the 3D rollout all over again. HDR isn't going to make a bad film good.
post #7 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
You're being generous imo. Its the 3D rollout all over again. HDR isn't going to make a bad film good.
true, but you gotta start somewhere! unlike 3D, any type of movie should be able to benefit from HDR--if properly done--including older films.

I'm sure we'll see a lot of pushing the envelope for a while, but it will eventually just become another tool at their disposal and a valuable one at that!
post #8 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So does a movie have to be "graded" for HDR the benefit to be seen using Dolby Vision projectors? Will a movie with regular Dynamic range receive a benefit when shown with the Dolby Vision projectors? Also will HDR graded movies provide a better picture even when not projected with a HDR projector?
I saw Tommorowland in a Cinemark XD theater and I was absolutely shocked by how bright the picture was. I have Seen many movies in that theater and none were as bright and vivid as Tommorowland. Since XD theaters don't use HDR projectors, I kinda think Tommorowland benefited from the "grading"....... Whatever that actually means?
post #9 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
unlike 3D, any type of movie should be able to benefit from HDR--if properly done--including older films.

I don't think this is 'unlike'. IMO its exactly like 3D, which btw has plenty of old films in 3D as well.
post #10 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Dolby version of 3d is the worst, the glasses are very uncomfortable and if you where glasses dont work over them at all since they reflect so much... overall yeah horrible 3d concept...

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #11 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I was disappointed by the Martian in HDR... though Scorch Trials was impressive. Pan won't be playing at the HDR theater out here... so it'll have to be peanuts or mockingjay I think.
post #12 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10174 Post(s)
Liked: 9149
Quote:

considering 4 of those 13 havent even been released yet, i think its unfair to say that.
post #13 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Hmmm, interesting, you find me generous. ...I try to have an objective "vision". ...A realistic one.

* It has more to do with the latest film technologies...Dolby Vision HDR picture and Dolby Atmos sound.
And I totally agree with you; a pristine picture and sound won't transform a lesser film (value content, story) into a grandiose cinema masterpiece.

I have yet to see...all of them...the thirteen movie titles enumerated by Scott. And there is no such highly equipped theater in my neck of the woods.
So it's Blu-ray (next week with 'San Andreas') and UHD Blu-ray in 2016 (next year)...with Dolby Atmos sound.

The people living near Hollywood, New York, and any other places in the world near theaters equipped with the latest and best, are lucky people.
The rest, us, we just wait for UHD Blu-ray. ...And we'll be able to pick the ones we like...from the aspects we value the most...sound, picture, and film quality...rewarding for our own senses and soul.

<<>> 'The Martian' seems to have some value? ...Not from everyone though...an "ok" film, not a masterpiece.

Us, all film lovers and aficionados and cinemaphiles ... we all vibrate to different various movie chords/senses.

One thing is solid; the prettier the picture (2D & 3D) and the more immersive the sound experience the better it'll enhance a good film with higher value.
And that value, is a personal thing for each moviegoer/watcher.

Again, we can only learn from the people who live close to those theaters...technically. ...Most people aren't so lucky.
BillFree likes this.
post #14 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
considering 4 of those 13 havent even been released yet, i think its unfair to say that.
I was only guesstimate, asking Scott's own take so far.

Yes, I can see your fair point in calling a guess unfair. ...And we only have the trailers of the ones not yet released in cinema theaters, and the internet blogs and readings to based our guesses on.

I agree with you; the 13 films need to be experienced fully first before someone can give a fair assessment...and it'll be different for each individual too.
BillFree likes this.
post #15 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
However, some movies shown in Dolby Cinemas are graded in standard dynamic range, and it's nearly impossible to tell which ones are HDR from the promotional material or the theater's website.
I find this perplexing. Why wouldn't these theaters trumpet every marketing point to bring the masses in?
post #16 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post
I find this perplexing. Why wouldn't these theaters trumpet every marketing point to bring the masses in?
Good question! I have no idea...

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #17 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrocket View Post
So does a movie have to be "graded" for HDR the benefit to be seen using Dolby Vision projectors? Will a movie with regular Dynamic range receive a benefit when shown with the Dolby Vision projectors? Also will HDR graded movies provide a better picture even when not projected with a HDR projector?
I saw Tommorowland in a Cinemark XD theater and I was absolutely shocked by how bright the picture was. I have Seen many movies in that theater and none were as bright and vivid as Tommorowland. Since XD theaters don't use HDR projectors, I kinda think Tommorowland benefited from the "grading"....... Whatever that actually means?
The full benefit of HDR can be seen only with movies that are graded for HDR and shown on an HDR-capable display. A movie graded for standard dynamic range will conform to the SDR peak luminance for digital cinema of 14 foot-lamberts, even when played on an HDR projection system. However, the black level of an HDR projection system is considerably lower than it is for conventional lamp-based projectors, and that should be evident even with SDR-graded content played on an HDR-capable system.

As for HDR-graded movies shown on an SDR system, that's theoretically possible with Dolby Vision, but it isn't done currently; studios must grade each movie separately for Dolby Vision and SDR. I don't know why Tomorrowland looked so much brighter than other movies in the Cinemark XD theater.

BTW, "grading" simply means preparing the movie for distribution in terms of peak brightness (14 fL for SDR theaters, 22 fL for Imax laser-illuminated projection, 31 fL for Dolby Vision), color gamut (normally P3), and other parameters.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #18 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, that's completely subjective, of course! I provide my evaluation of the quality of the movie itself in my writeups, but that's only my evaluation. To each their own, I say! As others have said, HDR and immersive sound can't make a bad movie good, they can only make it look and sound better than it otherwise would.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #19 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
The full benefit of HDR can be seen only with movies that are graded for HDR and shown on an HDR-capable display. A movie graded for standard dynamic range will conform to the SDR peak luminance for digital cinema of 14 foot-lamberts, even when played on an HDR projection system. However, the black level of an HDR projection system is considerably lower than it is for conventional lamp-based projectors, and that should be evident even with SDR-graded content played on an HDR-capable system.

As for HDR-graded movies shown on an SDR system, that's theoretically possible with Dolby Vision, but it isn't done currently; studios must grade each movie separately for Dolby Vision and SDR. I don't know why Tomorrowland looked so much brighter than other movies in the Cinemark XD theater.

BTW, "grading" simply means preparing the movie for distribution in terms of peak brightness (14 fL for SDR theaters, 22 fL for Imax laser-illuminated projection, 31 fL for Dolby Vision), color gamut (normally P3), and other parameters.
So in essence any movie can be a HDR Dolby cinema release? The studio just has to take the time to create a separate file with more information on it correct?
post #20 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
We watched Tomorrowland the other day on BD. Even though it was (of course) the SDR version the picture was at times astonishing. I would say this movie is in the top 3 of all Blu-ray disks we have (1000+) in terms of picture quality. We watched yesterday San Andreas and, oh my, what a ridiculous film. After (in my guess) 1 million people died in the wave, the ROCK proclaims "Now let's rebuild" with a smile on his face! Good popcorn movies are something else (at least to me).
post #21 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
We watched Tomorrowland the other day on BD. Even though it was (of course) the SDR version the picture was at times astonishing. I would say this movie is in the top 3 of all Blu-ray disks we have (1000+) in terms of picture quality. We watched yesterday San Andreas and, oh my, what a ridiculous film. After (in my guess) 1 million people died in the wave, the ROCK proclaims "Now let's rebuild" with a smile on his face! Good popcorn movies are something else (at least to me).
Both 'Tomorrowland' and 'San Andreas' got a 50% average rating @ Rotten Tomatoes...like if people aren't sure if they're good or bad. ...Typical.
post #22 of 58 Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrocket View Post
So in essence any movie can be a HDR Dolby cinema release? The studio just has to take the time to create a separate file with more information on it correct?
Essentially correct, as long as the original assets are inherently HDR, which most movies today are, as well as many movies of the past. The big problem is what you say: "The studio just has to take the time to create a separate file..." Studios are loathe to devote extra time to anything unless they see a benefit (that is, a profit to be made).

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #23 of 58 Old 10-08-2015, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Nice list Hoping The Force Awakens will also be released in HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
After (in my guess) 1 million people died in the wave, the ROCK proclaims "Now let's rebuild" with a smile on his face! Good popcorn movies are something else (at least to me).
Of course he's smiling, the ********* dating his ex is dead, and he is back with his ex. 1 million dead people, who cares?
post #24 of 58 Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is this list still being kept up to date? i dont see Deadpool on here. Thanks

Panasonic TC-L58E60
Yamaha RX-V375
Pioneer SP-FS52-LR
Pioneer SP-C22
Polk Audio PSW10 (Should I have gotten the matching Sub?)
post #25 of 58 Old 03-01-2016, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Why isn't Dolby's own website not accurate? It says that Zootopia and Allegiant are both only in Dolby Atmos, not Dolby Vision...
post #26 of 58 Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I've reserved seats at our local Dolby Cinema for Captain America: Civil War, but can't find any info if it'll be in Dolby Vision (like Disney's recent properties have all been: Tomorrowland, Inside Out, The Force Awakens, Zootopia). Here's hoping!

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #27 of 58 Old 03-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Well, having seen movies in HDR/WCG both at home and at a Dolby Cinema has spoiled me for "regular" movie theater viewing.

My wife and I went to see Zootopia at a standard AMC screen this weekend and, even though the movie was GREAT, the A/V experience was so disappointing! The sound wasn't as clear as I'd expect it to be and the picture was AWFUL. The "blacks" were a semi-dark grey and the colors were all pretty washed out. The overall image brightness was pretty bad, too. I told my wife that it would look far better on our TV whenever we get even the Blu-ray at home.

Maybe it was just the way the projection was set up in that particular room. This was a 12-screen AMC house in a suburb of St. Louis while we were on vacation this weekend, so I don't expect the best image ever. I know what I'm getting into when I go to a standard theater showing. Still, it doesn't endear me to the idea of ever going back to a non-Dolby Cinema again.

I'm glad I booked tickets for Captain America: Civil War in a Dolby Cinema, because it'll have to look far better than what I saw this weekend -- even if it's not in Dolby Vision.
skoolpsyk likes this.

---
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
post #28 of 58 Old 03-26-2016, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
How do you know if a film being showed in the AMC Prime/Dolby Cinema is HDR? I see the list, but where is the source? Is there a way to confirm these beyond Scott's posting? Not that I have any doubt in Scott, but I can't seem to find other sources to confirm HDR. Maybe I think something is HDR and it really isn't.
post #29 of 58 Old 04-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Well, it looks like Captain America: Civil War will *premiere* in Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, so that gives me hope that my local Dolby Cinema will show it with 3D sound and HDR. I've already bought tickets, so my fingers are crossed.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/25879/...ture_challenge

---
post #30 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Would love to see some concerts released in 4K with Dolby vision.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby cinema , dolby vision , hdr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page