Favorite Documentaries - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #61 of 121 Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 121 Old 03-20-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Here is an excellent documentary site

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com
post #63 of 121 Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I watched one last week called "Visual Acoustics : The Modernism of Julius Shulman". It's about a guy who sort of became the in-house photographer for the post-war modernist movement in architecture, and arguably defined the public perception of that movement. Modernism in architecture may look a little George Jetson to us today (hey, even a joke about George Jetson may be wasted on a lot of folks today), but you can't deny the creativity involved, and honestly a lot of it appeals a lot to me. It's kind of strange that it probably is seen by so many folks today as overly elaborate when in fact it was really anti-elaborate, all about form following function and whatnot. Some of it is probably nicer to look at than live in in some cases, but still it's some pretty cool stuff and his pictures really showed it off to maximum effect.

Just as a tie-in, the Helvetica documentary I mentioned in my first post in this thread is also really heavily about the Modernist movement. Helvetica and, influenced by it presumably, most widely used font faces today, was also influenced by the form follows function aesthetic of Modernism, of paring it down to the essentials and getting rid of decoration and whatnot. So you also learn a lot about Modernism in that documentary as well.

Of course everything is a reaction to what came before, so post-modernism brought back surface decoration and the same happened in font faces where there was for a while a movement of complete anarchy in font usage (or even more so the 'messthetics movement' and such) as a reaction to the perceived blandness of Helvetica and other modernist type fonts and the clean, pared down look of modernist layouts. So it just goes around and around.

I have to admit I also prefer the clean, pared down, non-decorative thing for text and graphics presentations as well. So maybe I'm a closet modernist.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #64 of 121 Old 03-22-2016, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure if it counts... but one of my fav documentaries is the making-of the Lord of the Rings movies. They are so detailed and interesting, really get to know the cast and crew, and it shines a light on the entire process.
post #65 of 121 Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
Searching for Sugar Man
It's streaming for free on Crackle.

http://www.crackle.com/watch/video/2493905

Have to agree, it's a fascinating story.

Quote:
On 10 February 2013, the film won the BAFTA Award for Best Documentary at the 66th British Academy Film Awards in London, and two weeks later it won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 85th Academy Awards in Hollywood.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #66 of 121 Old 03-25-2016, 08:24 AM

One that's kind of hard to find but incredibly fascinating is "The Story of Blues Legend: Stumpy Jr.". Here's a sort of synopsis for anyone who is interested:

The Story of Blues Legend, Stumpy Jr.

On June 15th, 1890, one of the most auspicious events in the history of western popular music occurred, though few noted it at the time, and its importance has been mostly lost in the intervening decades. At 9:15AM that day, Elmore "Stumpy" White, Jr was born, to a sharecropping family in the lower Mississippi Delta. A curious and active child, young Elmore helped his father in the cotton fields and followed him to the local brothels and honkey tonks from an early age.

It was in his 14th year that Elmore got his famous nickname, Stumpy, when he was blinded and lost both his arms and legs in a cotton gin accident. Doctors said he couldn't possibly survive, but nonetheless he did. This was the first indication that Elmore was different from most of us, and one of the sources of the legends revolving around his deals with dark forces that made him such a powerful performer.

Despite his injuries, Elmore, now Stumpy, continued to help is father in the cotton fields, pulling a bag in his teeth, and continued to accompany him to the local gin joints and honkey-tonks that his father loved so well. It was here that Stumpy was first exposed to the early forms of what was to become the blues that he would effectively create and pass down to performers like Robert Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson. Learning to play the guitar with his teeth as it laid on the floor, Stumpy rapidly progressed as a musician and his local legend grew.

Many claim to have been present on Dec 18th, 1908, when Stumpy made his professional debut at Stinky's Bar and Grill, in Stalls, Mississippi, an event of now such mythical proportions that it is difficult to tease out the truth; a sort of Delta Agincourt that many a man then abed subsequently claimed to have participated in. However, Stumpy's later colleague and occasional collaborator, Bubba "Sugar Pump" Willis was known to have been there. Interviewed in 1968 shortly before his death, he recalled the event: "We didn't know what was goin on. Half a man on the floor, layin on a guitar. Then his ol head started ta'movin, and we saw he was playin it wit his teef. We all laf'ed at first, but half uh hour later, we won't laughin no more, we's cryin and not just cause'uh the music, though it was awful powerful. We all know'd we never was gonna be the best."

Those who were actually at that performance immediately spread the word and Stumpy soon found himself a local celebrity of sorts, playing regularly in bars around Missisippi. Legend has it that many a budding blues man quit the business after being challenged on stage by Stumpy. 'Cutting' as it was called in those days was the process of embarrassing another performer off the stage through one's musical prowess. In later days no one would even allow him on stage, knowing the consequences; but, in those days he built much of his reputation by 'cutting' locals in each town he passed through. Some would claim they walked away because of all the saliva Stumpy would leave on their guitar strings, but the audience always knew better.

So life it seemed had finally turned for Stumpy, Jr. But, even at this early stage in his career, drink and women were a cause of much pain and violence in his life. The types of establishments Stumpy was playing in those days were fairly violent to begin with. Even so, Stumpy, self conscious about his afflictions, angry at the world for what it had done to him, and also soon dealing the jealousies of many a Delta man, lead a particularly violent life.

Legends grow over time, but it seems likely that Stumpy killed at least five men in his life, and badly wounded four others. With a trigger finger temper and a propensity for alcohol and married women, it seems amazing in retrospect that the body count was not higher, and it might well have been. Again, Sugar Pump Willis remarked in his 1968 interview, "You could see it comin, but some fellas wasn't smart enough to notice. Or one of'em would say sumthin Stumpy took to be about his situation. The last thing that man would see was Stumpy holdin a knife in his teeth that was drippin' his blood. Stumpy would wiggle cross a table like a bullet, and have his knife in his mouth before you know'd it. And thugh women, Lawd help, it was a curse all this life, but as curses go he sho seemed to enjoy it. I wouldn'ta minded a bit o' it muhself."

Stumpy's reputation as a lady's man, an archetype taken on by all those who came after him, was legendary. Even when not performing, once 'liquored up', he would wriggle onto the dance floor and the women were said to gather around him like bees to pollen. Many a night saw Stumpy being carried out of a saloon over the shoulder of the prettiest girl in the house. Needless to say, in most cases the prettiest girl in the house had arrived at the saloon with someone else, and that someone else wasn't too happy about the situation.

But it was as a performer that the true power of his magnetism was evident. Many a legend has been passed down as to the power of his performances, some of them sounding as though those dark forces Stumpy was supposedly in league with were at work. It was said that women weeped, threw themselves at the stage, and were even spontaneously impregnated when Stumpy performed, leading of course to many child support cases in later years as his fortunes grew.

But these were the glory days, as Stumpy's reputation and power as a performer were at their peak. His engagements were legendary, and many a future guitar hero of the 30s and 40s first witnessed the template that they would all fit themselves into, though many tried to deny it and claim the title for themselves. But even then all was not well. As his wealth grew, so did his love of alcohol and soon drugs. And certainly his love for dangerous women only grew, if that was possible. Though, for almost a decade one would have hardly known from his performances that he was burning away from the inside and not long for this world.

In 1925, at 35 years old, and at the peak of his powers, most of his paternity related legal problems behind him, Stumpy seemed on top of the world. But he was to die on March 11th, in a card game in Tennessee, a site now regularly visited by a Who's Who of the rock and roll world. A young man accused him of cheating. Stumpy went after the young man, but this wasn't the Stumpy Jr. of the 1910s. A lifetime of drink and drugs had slowed him, and he met his fate on the knife of a young man named McKinley Morganfield.

The entire blues world mourned the loss of this great innovator, and the women of Mississippi in particular were active in their grieving. According to one man from that time, "...the ladies [...] they just closed up the candy store. When Stumpy left, not a one of us got any lovin for a good three months. And even then it was like a hungry cat settlin for some leftovers. That man cast a big ol' shadow, even without any arms or legs."

A big shadow indeed. Stumpy Jr. was the mold from which the rock stars of the 60s, 70s and beyond were made. Like a great actor who creates a role that can only be mimic'd henceforth, Stumpy created the bluesman, and the bluesman created the rock-n-roll gunslinger. With every passing decade his legacy is diluted still more, but it also grows ever larger. Though the young guitarists of today don't even know where their own image came from, some of us still remember, and feel it is important that others become aware of the giants upon whose shoulders we all stand, even if those giants didn't really have any shoulders per se.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #67 of 121 Old 03-25-2016, 10:51 AM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If I remember correctly Helen Keller wrote a letter in March of 1924 about her joy of feeling Stumpy's music.

Last edited by KOA; 03-25-2016 at 01:17 PM.
post #68 of 121 Old 03-27-2016, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another vote for Tim's Vermeer

Dinosaur 13- 2014- First full T rex discovered by a local private museum.

The Art of the Steal- 2009- Amazing art collection from the Barnes Foundation that was "stolen" by the Philadelphia art museum.

Searching for Sugarman- 2012

Last edited by eddief; 03-27-2016 at 06:23 AM.
post #69 of 121 Old 03-27-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Folks should start a YouTube Docu thread...

Here is one_
post #70 of 121 Old 04-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Another excellent documentary site.

http://abraxas365dokumentarci.blogsp...abel/1.%20docs
post #71 of 121 Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
I like that one: Note by Note

https://youtu.be/OfB24ytwq_M

...It may not be a hot contemporary subject, it's not yet another WWII/holocaust "reminder", but it's a fascinating documentary about this one-of-a-kind, hand-made instrument, unique brand, and the men behind it.
Ah yes - I remember this. We have a 6ft in the shop right now for restoration. The internals are basically the same across the line over many years. Well made they are
post #72 of 121 Old 04-04-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Inside Job is my Fav in the last 10 years.
analogueaddict likes this.
post #73 of 121 Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 PM

I watched Tim's Vermeer tonight. Quite an amazing piece of work. To me, that's what being rich is about. You can keep your container ship of cocaine, your super-model girlfriends (ok, I'll take one of them off your hands), and your stretch limos. He has the means and time to just decide he's going to do some quite ambitious project and can actually make it happen. That's why I want to be rich, so that I can spend the next five years creating the most amazing double album ever created, then die of a stress induced heart attack.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #74 of 121 Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Requiem for the American Dream

Streaming on Netflix (added on May 1) but can be rented at other streaming services.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80083790

Quote:
Regarded by many as America’s most influential intellectual, Noam Chomsky is also a great story teller. Without overwhelming the viewer or the material, he marshals data, example and anecdote, cutting through 250 years of history to distill ten basic principles of wealth and power which have conspired against the American Dream. More than anything, the film is a well organized, thoughtful look at these forces and their consequences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	requiem.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1460866  

post #75 of 121 Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Fantastic Lies has made it onto my list of favorites.

Everyone should experience this fascinating account of media lynch-mob mentality run amok. Be honest: you thought they were guilty the second you heard about the case,
post #76 of 121 Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Searching for Sugarman 2012
Winnebago Man 2009
The Endurance 2000
post #77 of 121 Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK54 View Post
Beware, clicking on that set off my antivirus alarms and weird happenings....
post #78 of 121 Old 05-26-2016, 09:57 PM

It's a 'docs' file, whatever that is. Maybe an older Word format or something? Not something to open randomly on the internet generally. Actually there's a space after the period, so it's a ' docs' file, which is even less likely to be good.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #79 of 121 Old 05-27-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just saw "Chuck Norris vs. Communism" on Netflix.

As a movie buff this was a fascinating documentary.
About the underground movement of the VHS bootleg movie "industry" during the Nicolae Ceaușescu regime in Romania.
Were it was illegal to even watch movies (western movies like Rambo etc.), let alone dubbing and distrobuting them around the country.
Their only view of the western world was via these movies.
Everything else was censored by the regime and the only channel just showed propaganda.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #80 of 121 Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gone through a couple of highly rated docs on netflix over the weekend.

Already mentioned above, "Requiem for the american dream".
Clear, spot on, at the same time kind of tragic on how far things have gone.

The Internets Own Boy.
This was a really good one.
Highly recommend it if you're interested in technology, internet, privacy concerns.....

post #81 of 121 Old 05-30-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

The Internets Own Boy.
This was a really good one.
Highly recommend it if you're interested in technology, internet, privacy concerns.....
Thanks, I'll give it a look. I see it's streaming on YouTube.

post #82 of 121 Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're welcome

post #83 of 121 Old 05-30-2016, 07:06 PM

A new documentary on Amy Winehouse came out not too long ago and it's on Netflix now. I watched it and it was quite good. I watched another good one a while back, but that was pre-her death, so of course it had a much different ambiance. Basically she was FFB. If she'd never become famous she might have made it, though I don't think that the odds were great even then. And of course now that she's dead, documentary makers can go back and pick out lots of stuff that (as always happens with dead musicians) seems to be predicting her own coming fate.

Here's a good scene from it, well a scene used in it, from a jazz festival, from her early days. She's doing "What is it About Men?" over a nice trip-hoppy jazz band backing, and she's pretty much doing Freudian self-analysis on herself on stage. Actually I think she uses the term Freudian in the song.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #84 of 121 Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
This Film is Not Yet Rated (2006), and indictment of the MPAA rating system.

They claim the MPAA favors:

• violence over sex
  • large studios over indies (the large studios get more support and easier ratings)
  • straight over gay sex (given scenes of the same "hotness")

...and that the system is generally secretive, incoherent and unhelpful.

They spend a lot of time hunting down the anonymous MPAA raters, even hiring a PI to follow them. I think this attention is misplaced: the raters are low-level employees. The "villains" are the studios and distributors.

They also could have spent some time on what system they would rather have.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #85 of 121 Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched the 2012 documentary on the rock band Journey last night. The focal point of the documentary is their most recent lead singer - Arnel Pineda, an inspirational story if there was ever one.

Available on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70239463

They are starting a new tour in July. My youngest daughter is attending the July 2 show.

post #86 of 121 Old 09-05-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

An interesting, if not depressing, look at the state of our economy. Released in 2013 but still relevant.

Amazon Prime - Inequality For All.

post #87 of 121 Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM

Maybe already mentioned, but if not, it should be. And if so, it warrants another:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/fi...r-wall-street/

It's a four part PBS series on the events leading up to the financial meltdown of 2007. It's quite good.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #88 of 121 Old 09-09-2016, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Sound City.....Interesting look

The Van Halen Story

Restrepo...Tough to watch in parts

Cocaine Cowboys...Remember as a kid you couldnt go to the beach without seeing a square grouper on the shoreline Lots of people in the fishing inustry, charter boats, fish houses etc made more money "fishing for square groupers" than normal biz and most were fronts. I had a friend who's relative owned a well known fish house, but they almost never had any or very little fish, but fished every other night. pretty spot on as far as the culture in So Fla in 70's and 80's
analogueaddict likes this.
post #89 of 121 Old 09-09-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Sound City.....Interesting look
That's a good one. I think I mentioned it back on the first page.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #90 of 121 Old 09-11-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The Long Shadow, a BBC 3-part series on the impact of WWI till current events.

The short version is on YouTube, while the series is on Netflix.

Tack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page