Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) - June 2017 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #31 of 134 Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
70mm IMAX 3D. The 3D is post process - not my preferred way of seeing a film.

On the Wiki page for this movie I read:

Which I was glad to see because in the Fast and Furious films she was just a tall drink of water.
And this is why I am seeing it in Dolby Cinema instead! Dolby Atmos and HDR for the Win!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Currently 96% on RT!

"Thrilling, earnest, and buoyed by Gal Gadot's charismatic performance, Wonder Woman succeeds in spectacular fashion."

I guess Warner and DC are finally relieved to have the critics "on their side". I can't wait to see the movie!!

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #33 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 05:13 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
My wife, on the other hand, who is one of the world's biggest Wonder Woman fans, is not happy with the casting of Gal Gadot in the titular role and she is less than enthusiastic, ...
...don't know if that was intended...

post #34 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 05:15 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Currently 96% on RT!

"Thrilling, earnest, and buoyed by Gal Gadot's charismatic performance, Wonder Woman succeeds in spectacular fashion."

I guess Warner and DC are finally relieved to have the critics "on their side". I can't wait to see the movie!!
Yeah, never understood why they couldn't replicate the quality of the Dark Knight Nolan films....
post #35 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Currently 96% on RT!

That's awesome. Should be going this weekend

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #36 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Yeah, never understood why they couldn't replicate the quality of the Dark Knight Nolan films....
Even Nolan couldn't replicate the quality of his first two Dark Knight films.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #37 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 151
The gal from M:I Rogue Nation, Rebecca Ferguson, was my first pick for Wonder Woman. Have no qualms though with Gal Gadot playing the role after she saved BvS from boredom.
post #38 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed re: Gal Gadot- never heard of her prior to BvS, don't know if there is something from her past that turns some fans off, but I have no issue.

Just need an able bodied, athletic brunette that can peform credible lines once in a while. Funky accent helps with the "exotic" angle.

Be nice to have had Lynda Carter as her mother...

Last edited by Rgb; 05-30-2017 at 11:48 AM.
post #39 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Even Nolan couldn't replicate the quality of his first two Dark Knight films.
Other than Bain's dialog (un)intelligibility and the excessive length of the 3rd DK, I had no issue with it. The plane hijack scene is one of the greatest and most original action/stunt scenes to date, a staple HT demo. Pacing could have been more up tempo.
post #40 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Agreed re: Gal Gadot- never heard of her prior to BvS, don't know if there is something from her past that turns some fans off, but I have no issue.

Just need an able bodied, athletic brunette that can peform credible lines once in a while. Funky accent helps with the "exotic" angle.

Be nice to have had Lynda Carter as her mother...
She was in the Fast and Furious franchise for awhile, I think that's what put her on the "map" for NA audiences.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #41 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
She was in the Fast and Furious franchise for awhile, I think that's what put her on the "map" for NA audiences.
..that 'splains it- never seen any F&F flicks...gotta preserve all the IQ points I got.
post #42 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A little story about Gal getting the part, I think it's the least I've seen Jimmy interrupt a guest too:

MarshallW, Tack and Morpheo like this.
post #43 of 134 Old 05-30-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
A little story about Gal getting the part, I think it's the least I've seen Jimmy interrupt a guest too:

She is just ridiculously cute.
Scott Simonian and JimP like this.
post #44 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
She is just ridiculously cute.
I have a date with her this afternoon and it's in 3D
post #45 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Just got home from watching the movie.

Pretty good but I don't get why they killed her off at the end. Don't they need her for the sequels?
Axememan likes this.
post #46 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Thought it was a very good movie, though the dialog between Pine and Gadot in the last act could've been better, with less spluttering by Pine. Still, everyone was clapping after the end.

The Justice League teaser or trailer or whatever the heck it was, shown before WW began, left me cold.
post #47 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

...Just got back from watching it - fantastic! ...at times the CGI felt a bit off (it's actually always the case in every superhero films), but it's really a minor gripe. I like her innocence and sadness, makes for a more complex character, or at least quite different than our usual superheroes. 3D was unnecessary, as always... I loved how they incorporated her theme with the new music, which was also very good. It's amazing how DC/Warner always manage to give their films the epic themes they deserve, while Marvel/Disney never seem to go above the "good enough" category most of the time. I may have more to say later, but for now that's it, I loved it!

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #48 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Thought it was a very good movie, though the dialog between Pine and Gadot in the last act could've been better, with less spluttering by Pine. Still, everyone was clapping after the end.

The Justice League teaser or trailer or whatever the heck it was, shown before WW began, left me cold.
Saw it last night and quite enjoyed it.She is adorable and a perfect fit for the part i think.and ,since it isnt a Disney/Marvel superhero film we will get to own it on 4K Bluray!.

Sony 65" 4K [XBR Series];Onkyo TX-NR838 Receiver;Schiit Audio Freya Tube Preamp;
Emotiva XPA-100 Monoblocks[2] or Primaluna Prologue 5 Tube Amp for Front LR;Outlaw Audio M2200 Monoblock for Center ;Nvidia Shield TV 500Gb;
Sony PS3;Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray;Sony BDP-S5100 Bluray Player;WD Media Player;
Tekton Pendragon Towers for Front LR;Klipsch RC62 Center;
Epos Epic2 for Heights;Bic PL200 for Rear LR;SVS PC2000x2;SVS SB12-NSD;SVS 20-39pci
post #49 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
Ach, spoiler tags, gentlemen!

I believe she played a side role in TRIPLE 9. Pretty engrossing .

“He couldn't sign his name any faster than he could duck.”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear. You will RTFM, even if I have to shame you into doing it.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #50 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Did anybody watch it in a Dolby theater? Watched it one last night, which was only my 2nd Dolby cinema visit, and if THAT was HDR and/or 4K, I'm never wasting money on a Dolby theater again. Picture was rubbish. Jagged lines aplenty and blacks were a murky grey. However, there are clearly issues with the management at that theater (that's a whole other story but it stemmed from the cleaning lights being on in the auditorium for the entirety of the trailers despite multiple complaints) so maybe there was an issue on their end. And, I always wanted to make fun of Scott for saying that the volume was too loud in his reviews of Dolby cinema movies, but good lord--that felt dangerously loud. And not in a good way. The action scenes were pain-inducing.

Oh the other movie I watched in a Dolby cinema (a different one BTW--Colorado now has at least two) was Lego Batman. Picture was drop-dead gorgeous and sound was also good but volume was rather low. Might be hard to compare to an animated film but, the half of one trailer I saw was the Blade Runner and that also looked gorgeous with inky blacks. Nothing like what I saw with Wonder Woman.
post #51 of 134 Old 06-02-2017, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
blacks were a murky grey.
This is what I saw at the theater in Woodinville too. Same thing with Alien 2 weeks ago.

I'm wondering if there is one person doing some of these Dolby Cinema encodes who likes gray blacks with low detail near black and dark scenes that lack depth. They must not have done The Guardians of the Galaxy 2 though, since that one had great blacks.

I liked the audio with butt kickers (or whatever they use) but if every Dolby Cinema movie had blacks like Alien: Covenant or Wonder Woman then the Dolby engineers could have done something more useful than making these awesome projectors that are capable of huge contrast ratio. Such a waste IMO.

i understand the filmmakers that made Arrival wanting a certain washed out look and maybe the people who made Wonder Woman wanted it to look washed out and flat to fit the old war theme, but the gray blacks for the whole movie didn't seem necessary to me, like when there was a scene around and outdoor fire.

I hoe The Mummy doesn't end up looking like that.

--Darin
post #52 of 134 Old 06-03-2017, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Did anybody watch it in a Dolby theater? Watched it one last night, which was only my 2nd Dolby cinema visit, and if THAT was HDR and/or 4K, I'm never wasting money on a Dolby theater again. Picture was rubbish. Jagged lines aplenty and blacks were a murky grey. However, there are clearly issues with the management at that theater (that's a whole other story but it stemmed from the cleaning lights being on in the auditorium for the entirety of the trailers despite multiple complaints) so maybe there was an issue on their end. And, I always wanted to make fun of Scott for saying that the volume was too loud in his reviews of Dolby cinema movies, but good lord--that felt dangerously loud. And not in a good way. The action scenes were pain-inducing.

Oh the other movie I watched in a Dolby cinema (a different one BTW--Colorado now has at least two) was Lego Batman. Picture was drop-dead gorgeous and sound was also good but volume was rather low. Might be hard to compare to an animated film but, the half of one trailer I saw was the Blade Runner and that also looked gorgeous with inky blacks. Nothing like what I saw with Wonder Woman.
I did. Last night at Tysons Corner in Northern VA. I agree with everything that you're saying outside of the sound which I thought was one of the best parts of the movie. Amazing.

The film looked too dark at times. I kept thinking to myself I wonder when the last time was that they cleaned the lens or tweaked the sharpness setting on the projector? It for sure cld have been brighter. I wasn't that impressed with the presentation but LOVED the movie.

It was really well done. Def buy for me and I may see it again this wknd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Projector: Epson 5040ub DIY 130" Acoustic Screen
AVR: Onkyo RZ1100 (Main)
Blu-ray: PS4 -- Philips UHD Player
Speakers: 5.2.4 Atmos System with Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW (left, center,right)/Monoprice 8inch in-wall speakers(wides)/JBL AESS5-WH (surround)
Subwoofers: Dual Marty Cubes w/SI 18" - DIY Build w/SI 15"
post #53 of 134 Old 06-03-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
...Just got back from watching it - fantastic! ...at times the CGI felt a bit off (it's actually always the case in every superhero films), but it's really a minor gripe. I like her innocence and sadness, makes for a more complex character, or at least quite different than our usual superheroes. 3D was unnecessary, as always... I loved how they incorporated her theme with the new music, which was also very good. It's amazing how DC/Warner always manage to give their films the epic themes they deserve, while Marvel/Disney never seem to go above the "good enough" category most of the time. I may have more to say later, but for now that's it, I loved it!

That's good to read. Going too watch it tomorrow.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #54 of 134 Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
This is what I saw at the theater in Woodinville too. Same thing with Alien 2 weeks ago.

I'm wondering if there is one person doing some of these Dolby Cinema encodes who likes gray blacks with low detail near black and dark scenes that lack depth. They must not have done The Guardians of the Galaxy 2 though, since that one had great blacks.

I liked the audio with butt kickers (or whatever they use) but if every Dolby Cinema movie had blacks like Alien: Covenant or Wonder Woman then the Dolby engineers could have done something more useful than making these awesome projectors that are capable of huge contrast ratio. Such a waste IMO.

i understand the filmmakers that made Arrival wanting a certain washed out look and maybe the people who made Wonder Woman wanted it to look washed out and flat to fit the old war theme, but the gray blacks for the whole movie didn't seem necessary to me, like when there was a scene around and outdoor fire.

I hoe The Mummy doesn't end up looking like that.

--Darin
Hmm...I find it particularly interesting that Alien Covenant had similarly murky black levels. I can't imagine for a second that that was intended on behalf of the film-makers, considering that Prometheus is reference-grade on blu-ray with fantastic contrast and black levels. Interesting...
post #55 of 134 Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Wonder Woman Storms To The Top Of The Box Office This Weekend

Though many would argue that Wonder Woman was a bonafide win for the DC Extended Universe even before it hit theatres, given its fantastic reviews and positive buzz, we really needed to wait for those all important box office numbers to roll in before the celebrations could commence. Now that they have, however, DC fans can feel free to breathe a sigh of relief, as Patty Jenkins’ blockbuster has scored a mighty impressive $100.5 million opening on home turf – which should have WB execs smiling from ear to ear.

Initial estimates put the Gal Gadot-led flick at around $75 million, so this is definitely a welcome surprise. It’s also a new record for the biggest opening by a female director, knocking Fifty Shades of Grey‘s $85.1 million off the top spot. Not only that, but Wonder Woman is also now the 16th superhero movie ever to cross $100 million on its opening weekend. And, that’s only domestically. Once you factor in the international numbers, which come to $122.5 million, the Amazonian princess’ solo outing now has a total of $223 million under its belt.

Elsewhere at the box office this weekend, there wasn’t a whole lot going on. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie brought in $23.5 million, while Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales took the third spot with $22 million. Rounding out the top 5 were Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 with $10 million and Baywatch with $8.5 million.

Looking ahead, Wonder Woman won’t be facing too much competition in the weeks to come, though The Mummy could definitely steal some audience members away. Aside from that though, we expect the film to continue to dominate until Transformers: The Last Knight barrels into theatres on the 21st.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/w...ffice-weekend/
Morpheo likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #56 of 134 Old 06-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Watched it today this film was great. Gal Gadot did a great job as Wonder Woman. Looking forward in watching Justice League.
post #57 of 134 Old 06-04-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wonder Woman Storms To The Top Of The Box Office This Weekend

Though many would argue that Wonder Woman was a bonafide win for the DC Extended Universe even before it hit theatres, given its fantastic reviews and positive buzz, we really needed to wait for those all important box office numbers to roll in before the celebrations could commence. Now that they have, however, DC fans can feel free to breathe a sigh of relief, as Patty Jenkins’ blockbuster has scored a mighty impressive $100.5 million opening on home turf – which should have WB execs smiling from ear to ear.

Initial estimates put the Gal Gadot-led flick at around $75 million, so this is definitely a welcome surprise. It’s also a new record for the biggest opening by a female director, knocking Fifty Shades of Grey‘s $85.1 million off the top spot. Not only that, but Wonder Woman is also now the 16th superhero movie ever to cross $100 million on its opening weekend. And, that’s only domestically. Once you factor in the international numbers, which come to $122.5 million, the Amazonian princess’ solo outing now has a total of $223 million under its belt.

Elsewhere at the box office this weekend, there wasn’t a whole lot going on. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie brought in $23.5 million, while Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales took the third spot with $22 million. Rounding out the top 5 were Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 with $10 million and Baywatch with $8.5 million.

Looking ahead, Wonder Woman won’t be facing too much competition in the weeks to come, though The Mummy could definitely steal some audience members away. Aside from that though, we expect the film to continue to dominate until Transformers: The Last Knight barrels into theatres on the 21st.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/w...ffice-weekend/
That's amazing! As a fan of the previous films, I'm glad this one is a resounding success both with audiences and critics!

post #58 of 134 Old 06-04-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Did anybody watch it in a Dolby theater? Watched it one last night, which was only my 2nd Dolby cinema visit, and if THAT was HDR and/or 4K, I'm never wasting money on a Dolby theater again.
WW was shot on 35 mm film, and had a 2K DI.

Quote:
Picture was rubbish. Jagged lines aplenty and blacks were a murky grey.
That wasn't my experience at all. No lack of resolution, fine film grain evident, deep blacks. I mentioning in another thread that the theater I went to did a great job with the black level. Almost no lights at all to wash out the screen, not even floor lights, and dim exit signs. I was pleased.
post #59 of 134 Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
As one may have suspected in watching the alley scene in WW the director acknowledges it was a homage to Superman - The Movie.

https://nyti.ms/2rpILO8

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #60 of 134 Old 06-05-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
As one may have suspected in watching the alley scene in WW the director acknowledges it was a homage to Superman - The Movie.

https://nyti.ms/2rpILO8
Also, the ice cream scene originated in one of the comic series and has seen a couple incarnations in versions of the WW franchise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page