51Likes

post #31 of 84 Old 02-16-2017, 04:37 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Now that it's for rent I'm going to try to catch it this weekend.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Having watched this on BR, it is hard to name a worse transfer in recent memory. Washed out. Drab. Flat looking. The narrative itself was fine. It simply looked awful from the start and never improved. Too bad that the movie visually didn't come close to looking nearly as good as the glossy, shiny cover on the 4K slip cover. Returned it to Amazon and got a refund.
JackNine likes this.

Last edited by fookoo_2010; 03-05-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Addition
post #33 of 84 Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post
Having watched this on BR, it is hard to name a worse transfer in recent memory. Washed out. Drab. Flat looking. The narrative itself was fine. It simply looked awful from the start and never improved.
Carl, may not help you like it any better, but consensus is that this is the directors intent, and matches what was seen in cinema. Personally, my memory isn't that good, but see discussion here and Robert Harris' assessment here.

Ken

post #34 of 84 Old 02-16-2017, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Carl, may not help you like it any better, but consensus is that this is the directors intent, and matches what was seen in cinema. Personally, my memory isn't that good, but see discussion here and Robert Harris' assessment here.

Ken
I have spoken with people who have seen the movie at the theater and the BR is nothing like what they saw at the theater.
post #35 of 84 Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post
Having watched this on BR, it is hard to name a worse transfer in recent memory. Washed out. Drab. Flat looking. The narrative itself was fine. It simply looked awful from the start and never improved. Too bad that the movie visually didn't come close to looking nearly as good as the glossy, shiny cover on the 4K slip cover.
BR being my first exposure to this movie, my impression was wondering why this movie is so dimly lit? I wondered if somebody made a bet if they could produce an entire movie using only the lower half of the luminance range and pull it off, or was the lamp in my tv indicating that it was about to fuzz out right as I try to watch this movie.
JackNine likes this.

Margot Robbie is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
post #36 of 84 Old 02-19-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The movie was hard to make out in the theater as well, very dim, was blaming the projector then I watched it streaming on VUDU. As the director has commented this was a conscious decision to contrast the bright alien scenes with the drab human world. I hate it when directors think this is high art. When you watch the extras that show the actual color during production it makes you wish they had gone to closer to real world normals.
JackNine and shivaji like this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #37 of 84 Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I figured this was an "artistic" choice, eventually, but damn...it's like it got Matrix'd with darkness instead of green, eh? Man, he really hammered us on the drab world look...all that gray cloudy day look in the beginning.
Mr.G likes this.

Margot Robbie is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
post #38 of 84 Old 02-20-2017, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 6676
Watched this yesterday - blind BD buy, bummer. I enjoyed the movie but I'm not in the camp of this is a great movie that can be watched multiple times.

And, I deleted 5 or 6 posts with spoilers.
Mr.G likes this.

Ich bin hier und du bist mein Sofa
post #39 of 84 Old 02-20-2017, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Rented BD at Redbox after I heard that the UHD blu-ray HDR grading is also controversial. Yes, I noted the washed out colors, but that could also convey how the characters are feeling.

However, it did not stop my wife and daughter from enjoying this movie thoroughly! The story and acting pull you in. The alien communication and their implications were the best part of the movie. The music/soundtrack helps the story and I also noted that this is a good subwoofer workout: it made things intense for suspense.

It is quite a thought provoking movie, very enjoyable, and I would recommend it to all (except for one or two curse words, this is okay for middle aged kids). My son had already seen it in the theaters and knew we would like it. I am not sure that it merits rewatching multiple times, but I will check out the extras now.

As for rewatching: we do rewatch Interstellar from time to time (music+drama is better), but I do not feel this movie will qualify.

Last edited by drummernrg; 02-20-2017 at 03:34 AM.
post #40 of 84 Old 02-20-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked: 3945
I saw this in the theater and cannot understand the effusive praise heaped upon it. The story made no sense from any number of angles. Yes, Amy was good but she's a pro. She's good in everything.
JackNine and llang269 like this.
post #41 of 84 Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My impression in that vein is that this isn't a "conventional" sci-fi movie with aliens as antagonists that must be defeated. Hence there is zero opportunity for the standard action/adventure style movie that would entertain an audience. That said, I still think it was a movie worth making. While watching it, I was thinking to myself that this project must have been all but impossible to get a major studio to sign-off for production. There's no selling this as a "Matrix" blockbuster, is what I'm trying to say. If you were expecting thrills, stunts, explosions, gun fire, etc, you will come away sorely disappointed. It's not that kind of movie. If you are interested in a cerebral examination of what first contact with an alien race with a radically different manner of communication with a leader in linguistics from the academic world...then this is your movie. Maybe it is chick-flick sci-fi?...a new genre?

post #42 of 84 Old 02-20-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked: 2310
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I saw this in the theater and cannot understand the effusive praise heaped upon it. The story made no sense from any number of angles. Yes, Amy was good but she's a pro. She's good in everything.
It made sense to me but I also had the advantage of having it on disc which has the extra featurettes about the film, several of them being very interesting, especially the segment with the author of the book that the film is based upon.
Spoiler!

To be clear, it is not a space aliens attack sort of film, at all. After my initial viewing I likened it to a sort of mashup of Interstellar and Malick's The Tree of Life with the heaviest dose coming from the Malick film.

The below link is a very good analysis of the story and plot, well worth reading, and the link below that is a thread at the Blu-ray.com forum discussing the film, there are several posters there that have an excellent understanding of what's going on in this film. The last few pages should be all that is needed to understand what happened.

http://www.thisisbarry.com/single-po...ding-Explained

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....284694&page=24

Once you've read the plot breakdown and the commentary at Blu-ray.com you'll probably want to give the film another viewing. I don't know if the rental versions will have the special features on them but they are worth hunting down to watch, very enlightening as to what's happening in the film and also about the nuts and bolts of how the film was made, good stuff.
archiguy, thehun and Tack like this.
post #43 of 84 Old 02-20-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post
My impression in that vein is that this isn't a "conventional" sci-fi movie with aliens as antagonists that must be defeated. Hence there is zero opportunity for the standard action/adventure style movie that would entertain an audience. That said, I still think it was a movie worth making. While watching it, I was thinking to myself that this project must have been all but impossible to get a major studio to sign-off for production. There's no selling this as a "Matrix" blockbuster, is what I'm trying to say. If you were expecting thrills, stunts, explosions, gun fire, etc, you will come away sorely disappointed. It's not that kind of movie. If you are interested in a cerebral examination of what first contact with an alien race with a radically different manner of communication with a leader in linguistics from the academic world...then this is your movie. Maybe it is chick-flick sci-fi?...a new genre?
I agree, it's amazing they ever got this film made given the very cerebral nature of the story, they even discuss this in the extras; what a longshot it was to get made.
post #44 of 84 Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 91
To me the best part about the film is the sound/bass. I heard things in my system that I have never heard before.
post #45 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
Watched this twice this weekend with a $1.49 "plan your movie night" offer from Google Play (watched the HD version). What a great film. Sure gave my subwoofer a reason to love life.

Those who don't get it, my suggestion is to consider the film with how it started. It's not necessarily the story of the aliens arriving, but what Louise is talking about in the opening narration. Once you've seen it through you understand, but in narrative structure, if you appreciate "I thought this is where you story started, but it's not. THIS is where it started..." then you should grasp what the gist of the movie is.

Adams and the director play it very carefully when she has her flashbacks. Watching the film again, I saw what they were doing. Very clever.

I too noted the reduced brightness of the image, and wondered why....? I guess to make our world seem a bit gloomy? It seems to take place in winter, so everything is wet and a little overcast, grey. It suits the opening and what you are led to believe is the exposition.

Random thought: holy crap that's a nice house she lives in. If I'd known university professors made that kind of money....

My companion kept asking, "How would you sell this movie? How did it get greenlit? How to you promote this?" I didn't see any trailers, so I don't know. I can say I'm happy that studios are willing to take a chance on a thoughtful sci-fi film with a female lead. It was the story of a mother, an intelligent woman, and OMFG do we need more of those on screen.

I rewatched a favorite, Duncan Jones' MOON, afterward last night. Another example of a thoughtful, well done sci-fi that doesn't need a lot of hoopla and bombast.

“Phil? Phil Connors?!”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #46 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 10:32 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Adams and the director play it very carefully when she has her flashbacks.
Spoiler!
post #47 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Finally watched it, twice (I had to in order to catch up on many confusing scenes). I agree with some posters about the time and how the language reflects the way the users perceive it. It's laid out in the dialogue and actions in multiple versions in the movie. Decent movie but not my cop-o-tea.
post #48 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I had to apologize to the family for renting this one last Monday. It was slow, dim, dark and nonsensical. I later read online that they had to re-write the story after Interstellar came out, and that explains the story issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #49 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
[snort] LOL ... I thought it made much more sense and reason than INTERSTELLAR.

Strong opinion, open only if willing to accept disagreement:

Spoiler!
raaj likes this.

“Phil? Phil Connors?!”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #50 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
[snort] LOL ... I thought it made much more sense and reason than INTERSTELLAR.

Strong opinion, open only if willing to accept disagreement:
I didn't say Interstellar was a great movie but it was more entertaining than Arrival which was incredibly slow...like watching paint dry. Maybe the movie would've worked better with the original ending. http://www.slashfilm.com/arrival-ending-interstellar/

Major movie spoiler so please don't open if you haven't seen the movie.

Spoiler!
JackNine likes this.

Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #51 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I read in another post that they will need man to help them 3000 years in the future. Perhaps, they should have waited 2500 years or so to stop by. They might have had an easier time teaching us their language by then and maybe they could have spent a little of that time, learning ours. If they had done that, instead of showing up on our doorstep waiting mutely, they could have stated the importance of learning their language for both races. That might have prevented us humans wanting to blow them up prematurely. For beings who can see time in a more fluid way, I guess they didn't see that one coming or the loss of one of their own.
archiguy and Tack like this.

Last edited by shivaji; 02-26-2017 at 04:20 PM.
post #52 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I read in another post that they will need man to help them 3000 years in the future. Perhaps, they should have waited 2500 years or so to stop by. They might have had an easier time teaching us their language by then and maybe they could have spent a little of that time, learning ours. If they had done that, instead of showing up on our doorstep waiting mutely, they could have stated the importance of learning their language for both races. That might have prevented us humans wanting to blow them up prematurely. For beings who can see time in a more fluid way, I guess they didn't see that one coming or the loss of one of their own.
Why didn't they wait another 2500 years before showing up on Earth?
Spoiler!
Tack likes this.

Last edited by Keenan; 02-26-2017 at 05:41 PM.
post #53 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Spoiler!
It was more than just
Spoiler!
post #54 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is nothing in this movie which indicates that they can only see timeline selectively and thus missed something.
post #55 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
It was more than just
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

post #56 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
They came when they did to try and head off the self-destructive direction we have been taking. If they had waited, we might not be here in 3000 years to help them.
Perhaps they were able to see that through.
BTW, shouldn't all this be in spoiler tag?
post #57 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Spoiler!
Better than
Spoiler!
post #58 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
Perhaps they were able to see that through.
BTW, shouldn't all this be in spoiler tag?
I suppose, I'm not sure what the protocol is for films post-release. It's fixed now.
post #59 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 4104
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Why didn't they wait another 2500 years before showing up on Earth?
Spoiler!
Good conversation. I really loved this movie. Then again.. "In 300 years, when Evil returns... so. shall. we."

Spoiler!
shivaji and ChromeJob like this.
post #60 of 84 Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Holy hell was this an ugly looking movie. It made my JVC projector look like a Sony kidding of course! But good God was it terrible from a pq standpoint. One of the worst I've seen in modern times.

The movie itself was interesting and I like thought provoking sci-fi films. But, it didn't have those moments that were memorable. It was just too damn flat. Sorry. Not a best picture nominee. And if that's the best we can do nowadays, damn.
JackNine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page