Blade Runner 2049 - In Theaters 10/6/17 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #61 of 118 Old 10-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The latest issue of Wired has a cover story on the movie. They say it's even more dystopian than the original, which in these times seems like a recommendation. If that doesn't say something about the movie, then I wouldn't know what would. (In any event, I'll be seeing it on Thursday night.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 118 Old 10-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Got my tickets for Thursday night show. Looking forward to it. Saw the first one at the theater and happy to see this one in a theater as opposed to waiting for streaming like many now do.
post #63 of 118 Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2478 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Critics live to put our butts in the theater, so I'll take all this high praise with caution.
Critics give movie negative reviews: Critics are all pretentious a'holes who don't understand what real people want to see!

Critics give movie positive reviews: Critics are all paid shills who will say anything to get you to buy a ticket!

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #64 of 118 Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
yes, dolby vision and dolby atmos see here: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html

BUT, whether your local dolby cinema is showing it is another story; there have been very strange release schedules at some of the dolby cinemas in the past for some reason...

my local dobly vision theater is also showing The FInal Cut the Thursday before, but I can't find if it is in dolby vision or not; it wasn't graded in DV for the UHD, but it was for the streaming link that was provided; so theoretically it should be, but who knows how these people work..
bought my tickets today

first dolby vision experience...
skoolpsyk likes this.
post #65 of 118 Old 10-02-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Watched Black Out 2022 last night, an interesting short. I'd imagine it'll make more sense once I see 2049. Cool though, Gaf is in the short, and EJO did the voice....
post #66 of 118 Old 10-02-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Critics give movie negative reviews: Critics are all pretentious a'holes who don't understand what real people want to see!

Critics give movie positive reviews: Critics are all paid shills who will say anything to get you to buy a ticket!

Sounds like we both agree that Critics chomp on large chunks of excrement & their opinion and reviews are filled with the vile whiff of their diet. You could hold their head in a Bidet and it wouldn't wash away the stench.
AmIRight?

Last edited by thedeskE; 10-02-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #67 of 118 Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Sounds like we both agree that Critics chomp on large chunks of excrement & their opinion and reviews are filled with the vile whiff of their diet. You could hold their head in a Bidet and it wouldn't wash away the stench.
AmIRight?
Are you one of Harry Knowles' groping victims? Should we get you into a support group?

Josh Z

post #68 of 118 Old 10-03-2017, 08:35 AM

I'm bothered by the recent spate of TV ads that are playing up the movie as a big action fest with tons of explosions and shooting and flying car chases. None of that says Blade Runner to me. Hopefully it's just poor marketing.
Frank714 likes this.

Josh Z

post #69 of 118 Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
I'm bothered by the recent spate of TV ads that are playing up the movie as a big action fest with tons of explosions and shooting and flying car chases. None of that says Blade Runner to me. Hopefully it's just poor marketing.
From all the reviews I've read it's hype. In fact a couple have said the film could use trimming and is boring at times. So definitely not an action film. Which I'm thrilled with. As far as boring goes some have leveled that at the original, so I'm not terribly worried there either.
skoolpsyk likes this.

post #70 of 118 Old 10-03-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Are you one of Harry Knowles' groping victims? Should we get you into a support group?
- Arrg & Harry Likes everything, so he's just another Non-Critic looking for money.
The grocery/clothing bill must be shocking.

Last edited by thedeskE; 10-04-2017 at 05:11 PM.
post #71 of 118 Old 10-05-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I just got home from it and I can say that the movie is most certainly a sequel to the first Blade Runner and it's not like a Michael Bay movie.

It was visually stunning, the atmosphere and lighting was superb. One of the best sequels I've seen. I can't say much to avoid spoilers so just go watch it... it's well worth it!
skoolpsyk, Tack and jeahrens like this.
post #72 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 05:46 AM

Cool

Saw it last night and I agree with the above. Visually amazing, sound was boombastic (although I missed having the Vangelis music of the original), and the story was very engaging. Overall I highly recommend seeing it in a nice big theater and not waiting for Blu.

One annoying side note. We had 3 sixty something woman sitting in front of us and one of them I guess thought she was camped out in her living room in her recliner. She spent the first 30 minutes casually flipping through her phone not paying attention to the movie at all. I kicked her seat once and she got the hint to shut it off. 10 minutes later, phone was back on so I got up and bluntly told her to "SHUT OFF YOUR DAMN PHONE" she just stared like "HUH??" But she did quit using it after that. Man oh man people these days are so damn rude.
post #73 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 AM

p.s.

The movie will for SURE give your subwoofer a workout once this movie hits disc/streaming.
post #74 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 10:55 AM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Don't you mean successful marketing? Most people don't want to be forced to think. Actually, most can't be forced to think.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #75 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^^^ "SHUT OFF YOUR DAMN PHONE
We agree- and the people who pay to have the "cinema experience"- are/have been getting PS>OFF.
&& Holly dicks - are blaming Rotten Tomatos for low movie theater attendance.... BSw/alot of LOL.

Many years ago.... when my wife and I spend a $100 to watch Firefly{love it} [tickets.parking/POP corn/M&Ms/Baby sitter.etc...... she said if you want that nicer SW go ahead... we have 65' -5.1- great amp and an OPPO--- great system. "it will some day pay for it's self "
And she makes the best Pop corn you will ever have-- and she can go to sheep if she want to - while watching the movie.. in 2016 the only two movie we saw were, LaLaLand & Moonlight{ That one; why? I have no idea- her girl friend wanted to see it}

Blade Runner will see in a week or so........

Last edited by DAB; 10-06-2017 at 11:34 AM.
post #76 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Saw it last night and I agree with the above. Visually amazing, sound was boombastic (although I missed having the Vangelis music of the original), and the story was very engaging. Overall I highly recommend seeing it in a nice big theater and not waiting for Blu.

One annoying side note. We had 3 sixty something woman sitting in front of us and one of them I guess thought she was camped out in her living room in her recliner. She spent the first 30 minutes casually flipping through her phone not paying attention to the movie at all. I kicked her seat once and she got the hint to shut it off. 10 minutes later, phone was back on so I got up and bluntly told her to "SHUT OFF YOUR DAMN PHONE" she just stared like "HUH??" But she did quit using it after that. Man oh man people these days are so damn rude.
That's good to hear! About the movie that is, not the idiot with the phone....that is really stunning, but sadly, not surprising these days. Kudos to you for letting her have it!

Quote:
p.s.

The movie will for SURE give your subwoofer a workout once this movie hits disc/streaming.
DAB likes this.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #77 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 54
One more Q?- I have 2 Original BR dvds- looking for the UHD dis.

Next week I have the opportunity to watch in 3D or Imax, any recommendations. Might even watch both. * I have only watch The Martian in 3D
post #78 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 AM

I watched in 2D and honestly I didn't see anything in it that remotely screamed "3D " worthy at all. It's not that kind of movie. Stick to the 2D just like the original.
gwsat likes this.
post #79 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4008
Quote:

I saw the 2D version of Blade Runner 2049 this afternoon and loved every minute of it. Both its audio and video reminded me of Denis Villeneuve' earlier work on Arrival (2016). Oddly, Roger Deakins, the director of photography here did not film Arrival. That was done by Bradford Young. No matter the two films share the same dark, foggy, rainy palette. I liked the look very much in both films. The audio in the current version, was terrific too, although its aggressive LFE gave the subwoofers a real workout in the huge theater in which I saw it

This is a worthy sequel to the wonderful Blade Runner (1982). It answers many of the questions left unanswered in the original but still leaves us with plenty to think about. I gave it 9 Stars out of 10. The only reason that it wasn't a 10 is its somewhat derivative nature. I may return to it at a later date and give it a 10 after all. The UHD HDR disk of the film will be a day one purchase for me. Highly, highly recommended! I hope it has TrueHD Atmos audio. It may not, though, because the UHD HDR version of Arrival has only 7.1.

I should add that when I saw it this afternoon the audience was well behaved. The only quibble I had was the occasional cough but there weren't many of those. Lucky me!
Gov, Tack and Jonas2 like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #80 of 118 Old 10-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I hope it has TrueHD Atmos audio. It may not, though, because the UHD HDR version of Arrival has only 7.1.
Arrival was never mixed or presented in immersive audio, either theatrically or on home video. Blade Runner 2049 has Atmos, DTS:X, Auro and IMAX 12-Track immersive options in theaters right now.

The Ultra HD Blu-ray will certainly have Atmos audio. Hopefully the regular Blu-ray does as well.

Josh Z

post #81 of 118 Old 10-09-2017, 05:44 AM

Well it's a shame that this won't have any legs it appears. Looks like it's main audience was us geeks who went to the original back in the day and loved it.

I think it made like $32 Million and the "box office analysts" pretty much love the movie, but agree that they missed the mark for the general public. They point out that the audience was mainly older males and the younger crowd pretty much passed this movie up.

I'm sure the 4K version will hit stores before the holidays and will sell out so grab it while you can.

Such a shame, but I can't say that I'm surprised by the outcome. It's a niche film and can see how the short attention span millennials and similar types wouldn't really get into this since they probably never watched the original.

I'm glad I saw it in the theater.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/10/08/blad...-disapppoints/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/08/m...ox-office.html
post #82 of 118 Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well it's a shame that this won't have any legs it appears. Looks like it's main audience was us geeks who went to the original back in the day and loved it.

I think it made like $32 Million and the "box office analysts" pretty much love the movie, but agree that they missed the mark for the general public. They point out that the audience was mainly older males and the younger crowd pretty much passed this movie up.

I'm sure the 4K version will hit stores before the holidays and will sell out so grab it while you can.

Such a shame, but I can't say that I'm surprised by the outcome. It's a niche film and can see how the short attention span millennials and similar types wouldn't really get into this since they probably never watched the original.

I'm glad I saw it in the theater.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/10/08/blad...-disapppoints/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/08/m...ox-office.html
That is really too bad. Well, at least it was at the top. My schedule didn't allow me to throw in my few bucks to that 1st weekend intake, but I'm hoping to make it in the next few weeks, hopefully it'll still be in semi-decent theaters!

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #83 of 118 Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Better go in next week or 2, all the big holiday movies are about to hit screens and BR will probably get tossed into the smallest of theaters at that point, if not dumped completely from the schedule.
post #84 of 118 Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Those who did not see Blade Runner theatrically in 1982 may not know it was not a box-office smash either. It opened to just over $6 million, equivalent to $16+ million today. By the second week revenue dropped by 13%. That same year John Carpenter's The Thing was a bomb at the box-office but I loved it. Both movies would achieve their cult status later on video.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/bl...ic-1202476755/
RUR likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #85 of 118 Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
That same year John Carpenter's The Thing was a bomb at the box-office but I loved it.
Not just the same year, they both opened on the same weekend!

Josh Z

post #86 of 118 Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Those who did not see Blade Runner theatrically in 1982 may not know it was not a box-office smash either. It opened to just over $6 million, equivalent to $16+ million today. By the second week revenue dropped by 13%. That same year John Carpenter's The Thing was a bomb at the box-office but I loved it. Both movies would achieve their cult status later on video.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/bl...ic-1202476755/
Yeah, the theatrical release of the original Blade Runner contained a voice over narration by Harrison Ford. I never saw that one. It was later recut and rereleased several times. My favorite is the final one, The Final Cut, which is contained in the 2007 BD release I bought. The critics were much more split over the original than they have been over the sequel. I love both.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #87 of 118 Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I saw 2049 at a Brenden JBX theater (very large screen and a big sound system) up the road from me. The sound was Dolby 7.1 and was almost overpowering at times. The movie was not quite what I was anticipating but it was a logical extension of the original Blade Runner. Ryan Gossling was great and Harrison Ford was, well, Harrison Ford which is plenty good enough. All in all this is a very successful sequel although I suspect that several repeat viewings will reveal more than the first viewing did.
post #88 of 118 Old 10-10-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I saw the film Sunday and really liked it. There's a lot to digest there, so I'm finding the longer I think about it the more I like it. Which is not a bad thing at all for a Blade Runner sequel.

Saw the film in the Flix MX theater in Des Moines. Volume was a bit hot, but the presentation was great. The bass and sheer volume about blew you out of your chair. Good Atmos use too.

post #89 of 118 Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I caught this one in XD last night. I loved it. It was brilliant. Some here have said they thought it was slow. It was a bit, but I thought the pacing was just perfect for this. It had a very similar vibe and feel as the original. I loved the story and having purposely not read any reviews beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised about where the story went. "Whoah...." I think is what I said to my son next to me

I'll try to catch this one again in the theater and it'll be playing at home when the BR is released

Cary
post #90 of 118 Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM

I commented to my buddy who I saw it with that the time seemed to fly by with this movie. Didn't feel at all like a nearly 3 hour show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page