AVS Forum banner

Valerian

5K views 95 replies 35 participants last post by  Dean Roddey 
#1 ·
This is going to be a eye candy bonanza, Im not sure about the story, but if the trailer is any indication I will be going to see this just for the video.

#5 ·
Wow that sounded like real live Beatles music. That's rare.
A first: http://io9.gizmodo.com/luc-bessons-valerian-looks-like-all-your-scifi-dreams-c-1788781880

And yes, that is the actual, honest-to-god Beatles song “Because” in the trailer. According to Besson, it’s the first time the group has ever let one of their songs be used like that, and Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr had to sign off on it personally. The director decided to use it because he and his trailer editors were looking for a song that conveyed the mood they wanted in the first teaser. They stumbled on “Because” and built the trailer around the song instead of the other way around.
Further detail: http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1583620/why-paul-mccartney-let-valerian-use-a-beatles-song-in-the-trailer

I just asked! We reached out to Paul McCartney, and he asked, 'What is the film?' and then he said yes! I never met him -- I wish I could, to thank him. From what I heard, he's seen a couple of my films -- and because he's from U.K. and I'm from France, we're both from Europe, so maybe a little closer. And Cara [Delevingne] is U.K. also. So there is a vibe that I think, from what I heard, made him say, 'For this one, because it's at least new and fresh.' So I think that he likes that. He likes to be part of something new.

#8 ·
I still think Besson has a problem articulating his stories on screen, but all his movies do look great.

Cara's great. But let's not forget the rest of the cast: Ethan Hawke, John Goodman, Rutger Hauer, Clive Owen, and a few great french actors as well... Yeah ok they had me at Cara. :D

Visuals remind me of The Fifth Element and his somewhat recent Arthur trilogy (which was an original story from Besson)

#23 ·
Went to see Ghost in the Shell tonight and they showed this latest trailer before the movie. I am definitely in to see this on its opening weekend. I'm sure I will pre-order this on UHD disc as well as this looks to be a potential visual masterpiece.

#25 ·
Luc Besson "In Fifth Element there were 188 special effects shots, in Valerian there were 2,734 special effects shots"

Quick synopsis fro Luc on how Valerian came to be and why Fifth Element came first. First movie Ive anticipated this much since the first Star Wars.

#30 ·
I was more along the lines of why he made Fifth Element first. Same as why Lucas made New Hope first, couldnt make the movie they wanted since technology wasnt there yet. Cameron and Avatar same thing.

He said Avatar made it possible, I do wonder how many other directors have things in the vault they were waiting to do since Luc seems to think anything is possible now.

Have we plateaued in the realm of how good a movie can be visually and audibly?

Im sure this movie is all green screen and cgi, don't care personally, just make it a stunner. It appears to be just that now gimme my nachos dawg

#31 · (Edited)
I remember George Lucas said something along those lines as well, about why the prequels took so much time... He said the technology wasn't there, but finally anything was possible.....back...in..1999. Look at TPM now and some of the visuals are terribly outdated and unconvincing. But you can acknowledge the lack of technological advances only after the fact. But yeah, it seems nowadays that CGI can look stupidly realistic, and I guess the upcoming Transformers film will still find a way to visually blow our minds. Our brains will always know it's an illusion though, maybe a perfect illusion, but still an illusion. The ultimate problem with CGI is that no matter how realistic it can be, it's never real. When I see Thor and The Hulk fighting in the Thor 3 trailer, I don't think for one second that Thor is in any danger. I guess the key is how it is combined with the real footage - in that respect, the Transformers films, imo, are among the best I've ever seen.

Reactions: Gorilla Killa
#32 ·
There are still major limitations to CGI. A great example is the last shot of Rogue One, where they did the fake Carrie Fisher. It looked horribly fake. In a movie of stupendous amounts of very high quality CGI, I'm assuming they did the best that can be done these days, right?

#33 ·
They probably did, just like they did with Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy, or Robert Downey Jr. in Civil War. I don't know if we'll ever come to a point where a CGI human character is as convincing as a real person, but I guess that's the most difficult thing to achieve in CGI.

#34 ·
I agree TPM is awful, its funny it didnt seem that bad when it came out. I cant even watch it now that I have a big screen. I hope they did their best, to be honest I replayed the Vader scene at the end so many times I glazed over Carrie.

I always like to think there is room for improvement, when we hit the limit of what the human eye can perceive then I guess that will be the end game. 10 years from now we will be shuddering at this years crop of blockbusters.

#35 ·
They are screening the opening scene in front of Spider-Man: Homecoming at select theaters.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/legendary-director-luc-besson-offers-moviegoers-an-exclusive-first-look-at-the-opening-sequence-of-europacorps-summer-blockbuster-valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets-300482639.html

Moviegoers will get an early look at the complete and unedited opening sequence of Luc Besson's "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" in select theaters showing "Spider-Man: Homecoming" beginning with its first showtimes on Thursday, July 6. STXfilms will distribute the epic adventure in the United States beginning on July 21, 2017.

The never-before-seen opening sequence of "Valerian," which details the creation of the film's Space Station Alpha, will appear during the trailer section and Besson's spectacular vision of the future will be presented exclusively in 3D and Premium Large Format.

Participating exhibitors to feature the exclusive "Valerian" sequence include select screens at AMC (in Dolby Cinema), B&B Theaters (in Grand Screen Large Format), Cinemark (in Cinemark XD and RealD 3D), Emagine Entertainment (EMAX Large Format), Harkins Theaters (Ciné Capri Large Format and Ciné 1 Large Format), along with select regional circuits nationwide.

#36 ·
Hope the story is as good as the visual. Can't wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.