Concert dvd recommendations - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 9003 Old 01-15-2004, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wakey, you are right on, I mean I have all of the DVDs that you mentioned but I like Paul McCartneys Back to the USA concert DVD. No one else seems to like this but I saw this in Atlanta, Ga. and he blew me away in DTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9003 Old 01-15-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yosh70, you have a problem because it's delivered in 5.1. If you can't pick up the LFE then you need to set your speakers to small. Read the user manual and understand what they are saying.
post #273 of 9003 Old 01-15-2004, 02:15 PM

Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes is IMO awesome sound. His website has the painstaking process documented to restore frank's audio mix and convert it to digital by Dweezil and Joe Travers.

picture quality is not great, but its all about the music.
post #274 of 9003 Old 01-15-2004, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
THe complaint mentioned about the Paul McCartney Concert DVD is the frequent breaks in continuity, due to the documentary aspect of it.
post #275 of 9003 Old 01-15-2004, 06:56 PM

RE McCartney
Plasmamaniac, are you saying you saw Sir Paul in the Dome, or on DVD in Atlanta?. I saw him in the Dome. It was awesome. And his performance on the DVD Back in the USA is excellent. BUT, ditto what JohnR just posted.
If you haven't, you should also check out Concert for Montserratt. McCartney is great in that, too.

IMHO
post #276 of 9003 Old 01-15-2004, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
Yosh70, you have a problem because it's delivered in 5.1. If you can't pick up the LFE then you need to set your speakers to small. Read the user manual and understand what they are saying.

Read ur own user manual or maybe try reading my post....I dont have a problem w/the LFE in the Heart concert. And do you even own the DVD? If you did, it is recorded in DD/DTS 5.0 not 5.1....it says it on the cover and in the audio menu setup. The LFE is not a discrete channel on this recording so instead of me setting my speakers to small (which they are anyways), maybe try setting your brain to "on".
Oh yea, found this one on a thread about Subs under $600.......
Quote:
You need to learn to read the whole statement and not just pieces of the statement.

hmmmmm......wonder who wrote that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #277 of 9003 Old 01-16-2004, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yosh70, my apologies to you, as I have never heard of DD 5.0 but when I loaded the DVD in my player it came up DD 2.0, DD 5.0 and DTS 5.0. I've never seen it done that way and you are right I am not getting my LED light for the LFE lit up in DTS mode so where's the bass coming from. I guess it's mixed in with the front channels. I didn't mean the last statement the way that you took it so again I apologize as I was not trying to be rude or offensive. Also, I did try setting my brain to "on" but it is just too painful so I'm going to put it in "standby mode". When I went to hear my sub it was playing and I turned it up and could hear it so just what is going on here in your opinion.
post #278 of 9003 Old 01-16-2004, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I saw Paul at the new Philips Arena and he was awesome. I agree that the documentary stuff could have been placed as a bonus feature to provide more continuity but when he did play he and his backup band were excellent. One of the best concerts that I have ever been to. I was in the 30th row, forked out alot of cash but it was for out anniversary so what the heck. Once in a lifetime opportunity.
post #279 of 9003 Old 01-16-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure it has been mentioned before but the stereo track of David Gilmour in Concert is outstanding.
post #280 of 9003 Old 01-17-2004, 02:05 AM

There is a brief interview with Rush's guitar player in Sound & Vision. They mixed the crowd high because they crowd was very overwhelming during the concert. They wanted the DVD to reflect that.
post #281 of 9003 Old 01-17-2004, 11:07 AM

Just watched Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions, which was great. but was it filmed in 4:3? I watched a borrowed copy on my widescreen tv in 4:3 and was dissappointed by that. Is there another version so I can watch it in widescreen (without zooming)?
post #282 of 9003 Old 01-18-2004, 06:23 PM

I like David Gilmour's DVD, but does anyone else besides me have a tough time with 2 guests conspicuously reading lyrics from cheat sheets! I find it hard to get over this.
post #283 of 9003 Old 01-20-2004, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Larry most of the good concerts are filmed in 4:3 unfortunately. Times are changing, and theres some good widescreen concerts out now, but a lot of the historical concerts will always be in 4x3. Some stretch better than others, I especially like the stretch mode they call "panaroma" on many HDTVs, it can help.

By the way "Sheryl Crow "C'mon USA 2003" is widescreen, and very good quality. You would probably like that. I talked about it on this thread a couple pages back ...
post #284 of 9003 Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

David Gilmours DVD suffers just a tad from laziness, it seems they didnt have anything from "Animals" rehearsed, and they play "Comfortably Numb" twice, bah!

The guests do have their share of problems.. Bob Geldolf looks completely strung out on heroin, glassy eyed and wispy. Who is that olderguy who sings from the cheat sheet on the first version of Comfortably Numb? Anyone know?

The backup singers are uninspiring too, unlike the world-class singers Roger Waters has backing up his band on "In THe flesh".

The cellist, bass and drummer hold the show together though, and of course, Gilmore is superb.

Still one of my favorite concert DVDs..
post #285 of 9003 Old 01-20-2004, 05:26 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone know if the Wham world tour is on dvd or when it will come out on dvd. I have been waiting for this one for a while. You know the classics: Wake me before you go-go, Blue, Careless Whisper.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #286 of 9003 Old 01-20-2004, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pronto Pup
Would someone please answer this question about the "Randy Bachman Every Song Tells A Story" DVD?

Are the chapter stops at the beginning of the songs... or at the beginning of the "story" about the songs?

Thanks... This DVD sounds like a fun trip down memory lane

Since the guy who raved about this DVD didn't, couldn't or just plain wouldn't reply to my ever so simple question... I'll answer it myself, now that I've bought the DVD.

The chapter stops are at the beginning of the between song banter... This means that no matter how interesting this crap. oh I mean banter is, you can't skip it unless you scan forward (which is a PITA and very imprecise.)

Jeehsus-mother-of-gawd... Concert videos have been with us since the early 80's (thank you laser-disc) and you'd think that the morons who produce these discs would KNOW that chapter stops should be at the beginning of the MUSIC!!!! Yes... MUSIC!!!, that's why we buy these "MUSIC' discs you MORONS!!! Wake UP!!!! The between song crap is only good for one viewing... maybe 2 at the most!!!! Got it?!!!! Who pays these idiots to make these stupid decisions anyway?!!!!

Anyway, this disc is pretty good if you liked Guess Who & BTO but the producer's could have, should have made more intelligent decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #287 of 9003 Old 01-20-2004, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hah i know what you mean ... but to group a song with another song's verbal description, doesnt make alot of sense either. This performance is intrinsically part talk part music ....
... so i guess they had to make choices

a stop before each song and before each talk would be a nice compromise.
post #288 of 9003 Old 01-20-2004, 10:00 PM

John... I have to disagree... Thankfully, most producers know that this "banter" can be included after a music track in the same chapter... That way, those of us who don't wish to see this filler over and over again can simply press forward on our remotes and skip to the next song. With this method of chapter encoding, those of us who wish to see this filler /crap can simply watch the concert from beginning to end, and those of us who don't, can skip over this filler to the next song. That way, we all can see the concert the way we want.

Personally, this between song banter wears thin, for me, after one viewing... That's why I asked about this when what's-his-name recommended this disc...
post #289 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Sweeney Todd : The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Shot during a 1982 LA stage performance.
post #290 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 05:28 AM

JohnR and Pronto Pup,
I'm in the anti-banter camp with you. My questions are: Are there limits to the number of chapters a DVD can have? Why does the banter have to be part of any song chapter? Couldn't producers put each banter segment (even if it's only 30 seconds) in its own chapter? For example - Song Chapter, Banter Chapter, Song Chapter.
- Jim

IMHO
post #291 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimnc
JohnR and Pronto Pup,
I'm in the anti-banter camp with you. My questions are: Are there limits to the number of chapters a DVD can have? Why does the banter have to be part of any song chapter? Couldn't producers put each banter segment (even if it's only 30 seconds) in its own chapter? For example - Song Chapter, Banter Chapter, Song Chapter.
- Jim

Jim,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I skimmed through my DVDs and The Concert for NYC has 40 chapters on each disc. At the beginning of each disc you have the option of "Play Concert" which includes all the between act speeches, or "Play Music Performances Only" which is like you suggested and ideally how concert DVDs should be chapter encoded.

Kudos to the producers of The Concert for NYC!!!
post #292 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Try and sit through the Tribute To Burt Bacharach and Hal David concert.The emcee never shuts up and ruins the whole DVD

Matt
post #293 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 10:40 AM

Pronto Pup,
Your example answers the question very well. Thanks.
Ditto your kudos.

IMHO
post #294 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

"No Doubt Rock Steady Live" concert DVD
Wide Screen Anamorphic. DD 5.1 and DTS

If you are unsure who "No Doubt" is, putting this DVD in for a spin will remind you. This group led by high energy blonde singer Gwen Stefani is a HIT MAKING MACHINE. Most of these songs I have heard just walking around malls and from my daughters' radio. They have probably had a dozen radio hits in the last few years...

Is this music any good? Well ... it reminds me of Madonna, which I like to hear on the radio once in a while, but cannot sit through a whole CD of hers. Its damn good radio pop, nothing more, nothing less.

Anyways back to this DVD. The quality is stellar, Very nice anamorphic video, and professionally recorded sound. The drums sound good, the voice sounds good....

And the directing is good .. fast paced (which I normally dislike) but extremely well done. At one point they have a hot girl camera operator go on stage and get closeups... the camera operator becomes part of the show ... a bit offbeat but it works. And boy did that camera operator work it, like a table dancer

Anyways... so the direction is first class, and the audio and video is awesome.. now on to the performance.

No Doubts performance was offbeat and different, they sometimes grouped together in a small group, other times spread out across the stage in typical arena rock fashion ...

Lets face it, No Doubt does not put out incredibly complex music, they tend to find a real nice groove, and then repeat the groove while singing over it. To make up for this relatively simple structure, they do their share of antics onstage.

Each band member had their own unusual attitude and attire, and they seemed to do their own thing... this was at times refreshing and at times unsettling....
....Especially that pink lipsticked male drummer. I don't know what his deal is, but he was always doing his own little act. I realize the music is simple and needs some help , but this guy was constantly either joking around ... or looking at someone off the stage, or struting around in boxers while wearing hot pink socks and undies. Now Im from the 70s when lots of musicians dressed in girl clothes, so that per se didnt really bother me. What was unsettling was his cavalier stage attitude.... almost like he thought the whole show was a big joke.

For example, he would bring a little drumset to the front of the stage, and while playing in a bored looking way, he would do some amateurish robot dance or something.

Oh well, i probably just dont understand this kids nowadays

The instrumentation in this show took a backseat to the vocals and the performance... I guess I should of expected that, but I come from the old rock school which likes to see the musicians really open up, and they did not.

Gwen Stefani was good, almost great ... and if you like No Doubt, you will probably like this DVD.
post #295 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 PM

Excellent review JohnR_IN_LA! I think I'll pick up a copy of this concert DVD...

P.S. I met a lady who lives in the neighborhood that Gwen Stefani grew up in. According to this woman Stefani isn't anything like her stage persona. She claimed she was a really "sweet & nice" girl... Not outrageous at all.
post #296 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
Anyone know if the Wham world tour is on dvd or when it will come out on dvd. I have been waiting for this one for a while. You know the classics: Wake me before you go-go, Blue, Careless Whisper.

I was never the same after they broke up... I don't even know that guy from back then..
post #297 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 04:50 PM

JohnR,
Thanks for the review. I really like No Doubt, BUT I heard Gwen drops the F-bomb quite a bit. Is that true? I watch a lot of concerts with my 4-year-old, and that would be bad.
Jim

IMHO
post #298 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

She drops the F word tons, yep. Most of the time she kind of says it away from the mic, and it blends into the background noise, but theres a couple times its crystal clear ... I would be more concerned with the disturbing drummer though, haha.

At one point the whole band is huddled on this runway that goes out into the crowd, for an unplugged slow song. Well the drummer sits on the side of the stage, with a little 1 hand shake instrument. Which he goes through the motions of keeping the beat with, while scanning the audience with this goofy look, and guzzling beer.

haha so after the slow song, the band is repositioning, but not him, hes busy trying to kill his beer before he has to move again.

They have some reggae-looking ska singers that are good and add a lot to the show....

One thing I have noticed, is that most all the new concerts are superbly recorded and taped, this one being no exception, it really puts you in the show.
post #299 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 07:35 PM

I really love her DVD and I'm looking for other concert DVDs with the same qualities. For those of you who also love Diana's DVD what else would you recommend in the same genre? I'm looking for something with sweet vocals, a good range of musical material and a classical orchestra accompaniment.
post #300 of 9003 Old 01-21-2004, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Originally posted by romanr
I really love her DVD and I'm looking for other concert DVDs with the same qualities. For those of you who also love Diana's DVD what else would you recommend in the same genre? I'm looking for something with sweet vocals, a good range of musical material and a classical orchestra accompaniment.

Jane Monheit - "Live At The Rainbow Room"
Equal to the Krall disc in video and audio, and with orchestra conducted by the same conductor. Monheit has a great instrument with which to sing, and you will have to judge for yourself if she moves you in her cabaret style.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page