Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 9002 Old 08-13-2004, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since I get the urge to comment on every other post on this thread, haaha:

Yep and Springsteen is one intense performer isn't he? Man that guy does not quit, hes on fire the whole show. He also tends to slow down and speed up his songs, freshening up his old tunes a bit. I am thinking about hitting his "Vote For Change" show in Orlando in October... REM, Springsteen, Bright Eyes ... and one other good band.

I think that disk catches the ambience of a large stadium (with none of the negatives), a truely reference recording for (the normally horrible) "Stadium sound".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9002 Old 08-13-2004, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
I concur with the Bruce DVD, Eagles, and many others mentioned along the way. I don't remember if this was listed anywhere in the thread (seems like I saw it) and I sure don't feel like reading the whole thread again, but this summer I purchased

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
"Live at the Quick"

and can't play it often enough. Wonderful DD 5.1 sound and good video quality (unfortunately 4:3). This is worth the price (around $12) just to see Victor Wooten on bass, and to hear the sound of Congar ol'Ondar performing Tuvan throat singing. They will knock your socks off. Highly recommended.

John M
post #363 of 9002 Old 08-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Another nod here for Bela Fleck. That drum guitar is pretty awesome, For those unaware of this incredible musician, he's a jazz banjo player. Also a great Bach piece on the dvd. edit, decided to watch/listen again and as I thought, it is widescreen, not 3/4, at least my copy!!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

My Momma didn't raise no fools! We raised ourselves!
post #364 of 9002 Old 08-14-2004, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by fisheggs
Another nod here for Bela Fleck. .......edit, decided to watch/listen again and as I thought, it is widescreen, not 3/4, at least my copy!!

My bad, I guess. My box lists it as NTSC, but it is letterboxed so you can 'zoom' it to pretty much fit the screen. It doesn't make for the greatest video after I do that though. Is your copy 'labeled' widescreen??? Maybe I got the wrong version, although I wasn't aware there was an option. Still a great show no matter what the aspect ratio. These guys are TRUE musicians, and it really shows.

John M
post #365 of 9002 Old 08-15-2004, 09:56 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JMartinko
My box lists it as NTSC, but it is letterboxed ...

NTSC has nothing to do with letterboxing.
One cannot tell whether the picture is 4:3 or 16:9, letterboxed or anamorphic by a label of NTSC.

Ed
post #366 of 9002 Old 08-15-2004, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by ekb
NTSC has nothing to do with letterboxing.
One cannot tell whether the picture is 4:3 or 16:9, letterboxed or anamorphic by a label of NTSC.

Ed

I am aware of all that, my point was exactly that, there was nothing on my box that I see that states letterbox or widescreen or any other format. The only thing it said was NTSC which, as you state, tells you nothing.

John M
post #367 of 9002 Old 08-17-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Yea Kate Kissoon rocks on that tune. And that other girl, that sings alot of his solo stuff... she is incredible.

Each time Kate hits the high note at the end of her verses in Mother my brain has an orgasm.
post #368 of 9002 Old 08-18-2004, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Boz Scaggs greatest hits live-one amazing sounding dvd

Matt
post #369 of 9002 Old 08-18-2004, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I like female artists, so my two favorites are Sheryl Crow's "Rocking the Globe"; and Sarah McLachlan's "Mirrorball," both of which I highly recommend. I also have the Norah Jones DVD at a small jazz theater, and I like it even though it is very low budget and the bass is very poorly mixed.

"The truth is out there!"
post #370 of 9002 Old 08-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Eurythmics Peace Tour totally rocks. Reunion tour with annie and dave!!!. Sweet Dreams are Made of This!!

post #371 of 9002 Old 08-29-2004, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dsmith901
I like female artists, so my two favorites are Sheryl Crow's "Rocking the Globe"; and Sarah McLachlan's "Mirrorball," both of which I highly recommend. I also have the Norah Jones DVD at a small jazz theater, and I like it even though it is very low budget and the bass is very poorly mixed.

The female voice is one of my favorite instruments as well, but Mirror Ball is waaayyy slooooww. Also, the way she looks on that DVD is goofy, with the shiny lipstick and clown-like clothes. I guess it kind of just turned me off to Sarah Mclaughlan, even though her voice is angelic.

Try "Jewel live at Humphries", or "An Evening with the Dixie Chicks" , both great recordings from excellent performers.
post #372 of 9002 Old 08-29-2004, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by fisheggs
Eurythmics Peace Tour totally rocks. Reunion tour with annie and dave!!!. Sweet Dreams are Made of This!!

Hmmm, hate to be a naysayer, but ... I sold that DVD. She was especially dik-ish looking and severe, her voice isnt that good and becomes annoying after a song or two, and dave couldnt save the show.
post #373 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

"Fly, Jefferson Airplane". It's a documentary with performances of one of the best american bands ever. It's 4/3, but thats oar for many of the pieces, and dolby digital/5.1. the sound is excellent. You have the option to watch all or just performances, the transition of Grace then to Grace now is a little scary (good Halloween flick)

post #374 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Try "......"An Evening with the Dixie Chicks" , both great recordings from excellent performers.

Ditto. A great dvd and cheap at DDD ($12.00).

htomei

but I digress......
post #375 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by captainv
Forgot about
Music for Montserrat..One of the best!

Did a search and there are three different dvds with that title:

Music for Montserrat Live (5.1/DTS),
Music for Montserrat: Live
Music for Montserrat: Various Artists.

The first two are from Image, and the last is from Red.

What's the title (maybe UPC as well) that you all recommend?

Thanks.

htomei

but I digress......
post #376 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Ub40 Homegrown in holland is good if you are a fan.On 10/19 Bowie has the Reality concert out from dublin with 30 songs and has good internet reviews from people at the show.Its also priced really low on Amazon.

Matt
post #377 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 07:42 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by htomei22
Did a search and there are three different dvds with that title:

Music for Montserrat Live (5.1/DTS),
Music for Montserrat: Live
Music for Montserrat: Various Artists.

The first two are from Image, and the last is from Red.

What's the title (maybe UPC as well) that you all recommend?

Thanks.

htomei

The original DVD is out-of-print. It was re-released in July this year. So there is really only one available (all those versions are really the same thing). So if you get anything that's called "Music for Montserrat", you've got what we're talking about - and it's well worth getting - one of the best concert videos with pretty good PQ and AQ.

Ed
post #378 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Blue Oyster Cult - Long Day's Night was produced in HD for HDNET and then ported to DVD. BOC is my favorite band, and I should be recommending this disc. It looks and sounds awesome, even has a DTS soundtrack. The problem ? It's not anamorphic !!! Ridiculous for a release only 2 years old. I understand that it costs no more to produce the anamorphic disc than a non-anamorphic disc.

-Ken
post #379 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 08:44 PM

Allison Krauss - - her DVD may indeed be superb, and I saw the performance on PBS, but I am wondering if anyone else regards her as "one-trick pony" - one speed, one gear, one emotion. Vocally, I mean, does she have any voicing other than that one sedated, slightly ethereal, nasally enhanced - desultory semi wail? A bluegrass version of Enya, it's like she's always singing "Amazing Grace" at a funeral, regardless of what the band plays. The songs may vary a bit, but she sure doesn't. Anyone ever been surprised by her singing in one of her songs?

What am I missing? [and as a life long guitar player play bluegrass all the time, and some of her bands' songs are quite catching, but even I can play in different keys and mix it up]

If you like her monotone, I suppose you're in heaven. But Jeeez!

Apologies for being off topic.

TP
post #380 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

So I'm not the only one who bought that Allison Krauss DVD, and couldnt understand the attraction.

I may Queue it up tonite, and see if I can somehow discover the magic, others see in this DVD.
post #381 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ekb
The original DVD is out-of-print. It was re-released in July this year. So there is really only one available (all those versions are really the same thing). So if you get anything that's called "Music for Montserrat", you've got what we're talking about - and it's well worth getting - one of the best concert videos with pretty good PQ and AQ.

Ed

Thanks Ed.

Interesting. Three different dvds, at three different prices, from two different companies, but they're all the same thing? Guess I'll get the cheapest of the three (it's $9 less).

htomei

but I digress......
post #382 of 9002 Old 10-09-2004, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Its good, I just watched another hour of it. Her voice is part of that bluegrass/country scene. The mood is set on the song, and they dont change it much one way or another.

The instrumentation is very good, nice tones in this concert. And the audience is into it. But.. she introduces the poor dober ( some funky steel guitar) player as "One of the greatest musicians in the world", and he has to do a solo after that introduction.

So, you have to be into this type of music, or into the tonality of it all. I like it, and respect it as good authentic music, Im just not into it.
post #383 of 9002 Old 10-10-2004, 03:53 PM

Own most of the mentioned favorites. "Simply Red" home live in Sicily
Excellent 16:9 anamorphic PQ. Amazing sound.
Also, no mention so far of "Kenny Loggins", out from the Redwoods,
one of my top-five,amazing vocals,musicians,and when it comes to musical content...... its hard to beat! Check it out.
post #384 of 9002 Old 10-10-2004, 05:46 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dinovsky
"Simply Red" home live in Sicily
Excellent 16:9 anamorphic PQ. Amazing sound.

I assume by amazing sound you mean that the audio recording is very good. I disagree with this, it's not even in the good category. I'm posting this just so that others get a balanced view and not just hear a one sided story.

If you mean that his performance was good, then yes, I agree.

Ed
post #385 of 9002 Old 10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

The 3 Tenors 1994 Dodger Stadium Concert. Excellent PQ and 5.1 DD.

Has anybody got the new Meat Loaf Concert DVD, I saw it the other night at BB and it was $30+ for 2 discs. A bit high for a DVD. I am interested in reading a review before laying down that kind of cash for a DVD.
post #386 of 9002 Old 10-12-2004, 06:45 AM

I agree with ekb on Simply Red - Home in Sicily. I like Red but this DVD is very poor overall. Not worth the money i spent on it.
post #387 of 9002 Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Procol harum live at union chapel.Excellent sound and pq but you have like this type of music or it may not impress.Read amazon reviews if you are not sure.

Matt
post #388 of 9002 Old 10-15-2004, 11:52 PM

I pretty much agree with all the recommendations so rather than rehash those I thought I'd give you my reviews of some new Concert DVD's I picked up recently:

YES - ACOUSTIC: A one time acoustic concert recorded in January 2004 to celebrate their 35th year together. It features their classic line-up (Anderson, Howe, Squire, White, and Wakeman) and it is a top notch DVD. 16x9, DD, and DTS. The Picture Quality is excellent. The sound quality on this one is spectacular; right up there with Hell Freezes Over and Diana Krall-Live in Paris. The audio quality of Rick Wakeman's piano is stunning. Most importantly, the performances are first rate. Wakemen adds so much to the group and Steve Howe is playing as good as I can remember. The only downside is that it's a very short DVD with the running time about 39 minutes for the acoustic concert and another 30 minute documentary. I cannot recommend this DVD strongly enough. It will soon become your reference concert DVD to impress all your friends.

MEATLOAF- LIVE WITH THE MELBOURNE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA: Also very good but expensive ($25 bucks on sale). DD and DTS but I don't think its 16:9; Also the recorded level is lower than most concert DVD's so you have to crank the volume. As you'd expect from MeatLoaf this DVD is more a semi-choreographed theatrical concert than a straight ahead rock concert. But with that said it is still a good show. He's in good voice, his backing band is top notch and the Orchestra adds alot to the music, especiallly the ballads. However, the real stars of the show are his two back up singers (In much the same way the backup vocalist add to the Roger Waters DVD) Patti Russo gets plenty of lead vocal time as the ingenue of Jim Steinman's songs and she really shines.

STEVIE RAY VAUGHN - LIVE AT MONTREUX: A good value @ 12 bucks on sale for a 2 disc set. One DVD is of his 1982 concert and the other DVD is of his 1985 concert so the PQ is just o.k. But the DD 5.1 mix is good. However, it is the performance that makes this a keeper. SRV absolutely cooks on the first DVD! You gotta remember this was recorded before anyone knew who SRV was so he gets a lukewarm reception yet as soon as he starts playing you just know you're in the presence of greatness. When the second DVD is recorded three years later, Stevie is now the headliner.

LOS LONELY BOYS - LIVE FROM AUSTIN: Another good value. Picture is Good (but 4:3) and DD 5.1 sound is good. But again it is the Performance that makes the DVD. If you only know this band by their hit single "Heaven" let me tell you they are much more than just a nice little pop band. These boys can play! They're part Santana, part Stevie Ray, and part Everly Brothers with the vocal harmonies. Give these boys a try you won't regret it.
post #389 of 9002 Old 10-16-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Griz:
Would you please confirm that the Yes - Acoustic DVD is 16:9 because the databases I checked have it as 4:3. I'd like to get it but would prefer not to purchase any 4:3 discs...
Thanks.

mnilan
post #390 of 9002 Old 10-18-2004, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I want to second the opinion by Griz92867 on Los Lonely Boys "Texican Style" live from Austin. I bought this concert dvd on a whim because number one I saw it on sale at a local B&M and two because their song "Heaven" always makes me want to sing. I knew nothing at all about this band. My wife saw it when I brought it home and she was like
"who in the hell are these guys?"

I have not watched/listened to the dvd from start to finish yet but have bounced thru it a bit and what I have seen has been very impressive. Track 7 "Onda" is worth the price of the dvd by itself. I agree with the similarities to Carlos Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughn that Griz mentioned, but not sure who the Everly Brothers are (just kidding).

One thing I particularly liked was that this concert dvd comes across as a concert. As I watched and listened to these 3 brothers play I felt like I was there and couldn't wait to fire up a doob and start shaking my butt. (ok, those were the old days). I envisioned beautiful Hispanic women dancing around in front of me getting their salsa groove on. I wanted to eat fajitas and drink Tecate. No more tequilla for this hombre. Don't get me wrong, there are no accordians in the bunch, as Griz said, these boys can jam.

Can't wait to get home tonight and watch it start to finish.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page