Concert dvd recommendations - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4321 of 9003 Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JBaumgart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

In any event, I will list some disks that I really like for AQ and largely like for content (in no particular order):
Heart- Alive in Seatle.
Roger Waters - Live in the Flesh
The Best of Soundstage
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Randy Bachman- Every Song Tells a Story
Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
Music for Montserrat
Eric Clapton - One More Car, One More Rider
Lee Ritenour - Overtime

Of course there's lots of other disks that a like a lot becuase of content, but the list was primarily based on AQ.

Ed

Our tastes appear to be very similar. I have all but three of these (The Best of Soundstage, Standing in the Shadows of Motown and Randy Bachman- Every Song Tells a Story). A couple more that I like for AQ: Alison Krauss & The Union Station - Live, and Loggins & Messina - Sittin in Again.
JBaumgart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4322 of 9003 Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gps View Post

I highly recomend "Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scotts" on blu-ray. Sound is incredible, Picture quality is great. Watch the master at work!


JB really needs to hire a singer and lyricist. Much like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai need to do.

FYI: I broke down and purchased a Sony BDP-BX1 today. Come on Blu-Ray disks!
vision-master is offline  
post #4323 of 9003 Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member
 
ekb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

Our tastes appear to be very similar. I have all but three of these (The Best of Soundstage, Standing in the Shadows of Motown and Randy Bachman- Every Song Tells a Story). A couple more that I like for AQ: Alison Krauss & The Union Station - Live, and Loggins & Messina - Sittin in Again.

I own the Loggins & Messina. I've heard good things about the Alison Krauss DVD, but I don't think that I can take her music.

Of the 3 disks you don't have, I would say that getting Best of Soundstage is really worth it. It's a bit of a pain to get because I think you need to directly order it from PBS in Chicago. There's several good selections, but my favorite is Tori Amos. Just an unbelievable performance and recording - both AQ and PQ. I also like the Randy Bachman performance because it's so raw. The stories are quite good. And AQ and PQ are top notch. The motown is actually a documentary with a handfull of performances and a jam session on a second disk. The AQ may be the best that I own (on DVD).

Ed
ekb is offline  
post #4324 of 9003 Old 04-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

JB really needs to hire a singer and lyricist. Much like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai need to do.

FYI: I broke down and purchased a Sony BDP-BX1 today. Come on Blu-Ray disks!

JB hates working with a singer, always has. Fusion was a Godsend for him

Did you know the original Jeff Beck Group (Rod Stewart, Ron Wood on bass, Mick Waller on drums, and Nicky Hopkins on piano) was a scheduled headliner at Woodstock, and a week, dammit a week, before the festival, they had another of their famous fights and broke up..... Rod walked away and took Woodie with him to the Faces. If only, just another week and we'd have that ledgendary group of film for all time ..... sighs....... Beck-Ola is still one of the greatest classic rock albums of all time.

John
antennahead is offline  
post #4325 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

JB hates working with a singer, always has. Fusion was a Godsend for him

Did you know the original Jeff Beck Group (Rod Stewart, Ron Wood on bass, Mick Waller on drums, and Nicky Hopkins on piano) was a scheduled headliner at Woodstock, and a week, dammit a week, before the festival, they had another of their famous fights and broke up..... Rod walked away and took Woodie with him to the Faces. If only, just another week and we'd have that ledgendary group of film for all time ..... sighs....... Beck-Ola is still one of the greatest classic rock albums of all time.

John

I didn't know that.

Now that I have Blu-Ray, I'm wondering if the 'new' Woodstock will be worth it on BR or if I should just get the SD? You know, it was shot a few decades back.
vision-master is offline  
post #4326 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Member
 
ROSSO Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw Jersey Boys and Paul McCartney over the weekend in Las Vegas.

Both were totally awesome.
ROSSO Z is offline  
post #4327 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Artslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Spirit - Rockpalast DVD

Released on May 5, 2009



"Spirit were enlisted for a Eurovision broadcast, March 5, 1978. They were so much more than merely a stand-in! Their concert turned out to be one of the highlights of the first Rockpalast series (1977-86). Band members include Randy California, ... Full DescriptionEd Cassidy, and Larry 'Fuzzy' Knight. The band's sophisticated arrangements consisted of rock, jazz, blues, and psychedelic elements with all the power of a simple classic rock trio. At the end of the show, Dickey Betts brought out his wall of amps again to jam with Spirit."
Artslinger is offline  
post #4328 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post

Saw Jersey Boys and Paul McCartney over the weekend in Las Vegas.

Both were totally awesome.


Sir Paul can still hit-a-note correctly?
vision-master is offline  
post #4329 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

Spirit - Rockpalast DVD

Released on May 5, 2009



"Spirit were enlisted for a Eurovision broadcast, March 5, 1978. They were so much more than merely a stand-in! Their concert turned out to be one of the highlights of the first Rockpalast series (1977-86). Band members include Randy California, ... Full DescriptionEd Cassidy, and Larry 'Fuzzy' Knight. The band's sophisticated arrangements consisted of rock, jazz, blues, and psychedelic elements with all the power of a simple classic rock trio. At the end of the show, Dickey Betts brought out his wall of amps again to jam with Spirit."


OR this........


Product Description:

This DVD presents two musical legends, John Cipollina (QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE, COPPERHEAD) and Nick Gravenites (ELECTRIC FLAG, BIG BROTHER AND THE HOLDING COMPANY) at their best during their November 28th 1980 performance on Germany's legendary TV show Rockpalast.
vision-master is offline  
post #4330 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

I didn't know that.

Now that I have Blu-Ray, I'm wondering if the 'new' Woodstock will be worth it on BR or if I should just get the SD? You know, it was shot a few decades back.

Video wise, a lot depends on your monitor. The larger the screen, as well as how close you sit, the more the benefits of Blue Ray reveal themselves. The pic is definitely better, but on a small screen (37" to 42") at 8 to 10 feet seating distance, the benefits don't appear as great as on a larger screen.

I have an OPPO 983, which does a great job of upscaling SD DVDs. It's going to a 50" Pioneer Kuro, I sit about 10 feet back. I am very happy with the picture quality. I will probably buy the new OPPO 83 Blue Ray player, that has the same SD DVD capabilities as my 983, when it's released, but I have not been happy with the pricing of the Blue Ray discs so far, still too expensive in my opinion.

Since you now have Blue Ray, I would get that version of Woodstock, as from what I've seen, the pricing is only about $10 more than the SD version. The picture and sound have been remastered, so it will look and sound great.

John
antennahead is offline  
post #4331 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

Spirit - Rockpalast DVD

Released on May 5, 2009



"Spirit were enlisted for a Eurovision broadcast, March 5, 1978. They were so much more than merely a stand-in! Their concert turned out to be one of the highlights of the first Rockpalast series (1977-86). Band members include Randy California, ... Full DescriptionEd Cassidy, and Larry 'Fuzzy' Knight. The band's sophisticated arrangements consisted of rock, jazz, blues, and psychedelic elements with all the power of a simple classic rock trio. At the end of the show, Dickey Betts brought out his wall of amps again to jam with Spirit."


Spirit was one of my favorite bands, unfortunately founding members Jay Ferguson (lead vocals and some keyboards) and Mark Andes (Bass) left the group in the early '70's to form Jo Jo Gunne. Randy California is great, and I bet the band is good, but for me, it just won't be the same, especially without Jay's distinctive voice. Will be interesting to read some reviews after it comes out.

John
antennahead is offline  
post #4332 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

Video wise, a lot depends on your monitor. The larger the screen, as well as how close you sit, the more the benefits of Blue Ray reveal themselves. The pic is definitely better, but on a small screen (37" to 42") at 8 to 10 feet seating distance, the benefits don't appear as great as on a larger screen.

I have an OPPO 983, which does a great job of upscaling SD DVDs. It's going to a 50" Pioneer Kuro, I sit about 10 feet back. I am very happy with the picture quality. I will probably buy the new OPPO 83 Blue Ray player, that has the same SD DVD capabilities as my 983, when it's released, but I have not been happy with the pricing of the Blue Ray discs so far, still too expensive in my opinion.

Since you now have Blue Ray, I would get that version of Woodstock, as from what I've seen, the pricing is only about $10 more than the SD version. The picture and sound have been remastered, so it will look and sound great.

John

Thanx.

I did a little subjective test today with Blu-ray versus the HD-DVD player using current SD's. I could tell no difference. I'm running 52" RP 1080i in my entertainment room.

I'm sure BR disks will be as nice as the ill-fated HD-DVD disks of yesterday.

FYI: I picked up Nickelback - Live at Home today. I hope it's as good as Sturgis.
vision-master is offline  
post #4333 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Thanx.

I did a little subjective test today with Blu-ray versus the HD-DVD player using current SD's. I could tell no difference. I'm running 52" RP 1080i in my entertainment room.

I'm sure BR disks will be as nice as the ill-fated HD-DVD disks of yesterday.

FYI: I picked up Nickelback - Live at Home today. I hope it's as good as Sturgis.

The fan boys are not going to like you LOL

John
antennahead is offline  
post #4334 of 9003 Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Thanx.

I did a little subjective test today with Blu-ray versus the HD-DVD player using current SD's. I could tell no difference. I'm running 52" RP 1080i in my entertainment room.

Many variables to consider as far as why you dont see a dif between BR and SD-DVD upconverted. I cant tell a big dif on my 46" 1080p upstairs (though I can still see a dif), but on the RS1/94" downstairs the dif is night and day.....


Watched Tommy Emmanuel Center Stage last night and WOW......what a performance. PQ is OK and sound is very good, but the performance is stunning. One of the greatest guitarists on the planet no question and just a joy to watch this guy play. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #4335 of 9003 Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Many variables to consider as far as why you dont see a dif between BR and SD-DVD upconverted. I cant tell a big dif on my 46" 1080p upstairs (though I can still see a dif), but on the RS1/94" downstairs the dif is night and day.....


Watched Tommy Emmanuel Center Stage last night and WOW......what a performance. PQ is OK and sound is very good, but the performance is stunning. One of the greatest guitarists on the planet no question and just a joy to watch this guy play. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!


Hears the scoop. Last night I put on Nickelback - Live at Home and Skynyrd - Rockplast with the new Bluray player. These titles are normaly 4:3 aspect ratio. They were 16:9 this time, so I made sure the TV was in 'normal' picture mode. Also, I noticed the faces weren’t stretched at all, so the video was playing in 'auto format' on the TV. The Bluray player was able to upscale these titles into 16:9. Very cool. Also, I haven't installed the latest firmware, so things can only get better, right?

FYI: Get Nickelback - Live at Home if'n you ain't already got it. Highly recommended.
vision-master is offline  
post #4336 of 9003 Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

Spirit - Rockpalast DVD

Released on May 5, 2009



"Spirit were enlisted for a Eurovision broadcast, March 5, 1978. They were so much more than merely a stand-in! Their concert turned out to be one of the highlights of the first Rockpalast series (1977-86). Band members include Randy California, ... Full DescriptionEd Cassidy, and Larry 'Fuzzy' Knight. The band's sophisticated arrangements consisted of rock, jazz, blues, and psychedelic elements with all the power of a simple classic rock trio. At the end of the show, Dickey Betts brought out his wall of amps again to jam with Spirit."

Thanks for the heads up.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #4337 of 9003 Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 AM
5o9
Member
 
5o9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sturgis was great, best pyro

It was part of a larger show and was only an hour, leaving me wanting for more...

Going to check run time on Live at Home
5o9 is offline  
post #4338 of 9003 Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5o9 View Post

Sturgis was great, best pyro

It was part of a larger show and was only an hour, leaving me wanting for more...

Going to check run time on Live at Home

You will love Live at Home. Running time 138 min.
vision-master is offline  
post #4339 of 9003 Old 04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hope this is a keeper. I just ordered it on a wim.
Why has it been discontinued?



200 minutes long.

1. Opening
2. Shout At The Devil
3. Too Fast For Love
4. Ten Seconds To Love
5. Red Hot
6. On With The Show
7. Too Young To Fall In Love
8. Looks That Kill
9. Louder Than Hell
10. Live Wire
11. Girls Girls Girls
12. Wild Side
13. Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
14. Primal Scream
15. Glitter
16. Without You
17. Home Sweet Home
18. Nikkie's Solo
19. Dr. Feelgood
20. Tommy's Solo
21. Same Ol' Situation
22. Tommy Cam
23. Sick Love Song
24. If I Die Tomorrow
25. Kickstart My Heart
26. Helter Skelter
27. Anarchy In the UK
Bonus Features
1. Inside The Big Top - A Motley Docruementary
2. Motley Crue's Greatest *its
3. Meet & Greet
4. Disaster! The Movie
5. Blow It Up
vision-master is offline  
post #4340 of 9003 Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Hears the scoop. Last night I put on Nickelback - Live at Home and Skynyrd - Rockplast with the new Bluray player. These titles are normaly 4:3 aspect ratio. They were 16:9 this time, so I made sure the TV was in 'normal' picture mode. Also, I noticed the faces weren't stretched at all, so the video was playing in 'auto format' on the TV. The Bluray player was able to upscale these titles into 16:9. Very cool. Also, I haven't installed the latest firmware, so things can only get better, right?

FYI: Get Nickelback - Live at Home if'n you ain't already got it. Highly recommended.

Actually that's an "aspect ratio" change, not an "upscale" change. If your Blue Ray player is set to show your display as being a 16:9 set, it may be showing all 4:3 material as 16:9. You'd need to read the manual for the settings that show 4:3 as 4:3, unless you prefer it show all 4:3 as 16:9. Different manufacturers use different chipsets in their players, and the method used to display the 4:3 material as 16:9 may appear "unstretched", especially if the faces are in the middle of the screen. The image may be a combination of a little stretch at the edges and a little cropping of the top and bottom of the picture. The only way to really avoid any picture distortion is to enlarge the 4:3 image and crop off the top and bottom..... it fills the screen with no distortion, but you loose content.

John
antennahead is offline  
post #4341 of 9003 Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

Actually that's an "aspect ratio" change, not an "upscale" change. If your Blue Ray player is set to show your display as being a 16:9 set, it may be showing all 4:3 material as 16:9. You'd need to read the manual for the settings that show 4:3 as 4:3, unless you prefer it show all 4:3 as 16:9. Different manufacturers use different chipsets in their players, and the method used to display the 4:3 material as 16:9 may appear "unstretched", especially if the faces are in the middle of the screen. The image may be a combination of a little stretch at the edges and a little cropping of the top and bottom of the picture. The only way to really avoid any picture distortion is to enlarge the 4:3 image and crop off the top and bottom..... it fills the screen with no distortion, but you loose content.

John

The player video is set to 'auto'. Maybe there was some coding in the disks for future technology? I googled Nickelback - Live at home Aspect Ratio and came up with 1:33. I'm getting 16:9 and the picture is sharp, clear and without distortion, as good as REO Speedwagon - Soundstage. I checked my TV set and 'format' (picture) is set to normal.
vision-master is offline  
post #4342 of 9003 Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Very tricky Mr Bluray. The player 'screen format' is set to 'original', but it stretched out the aspect ratio on a 4:3 title to 16:9 anyways. Why do they do this? Now I have to check before hand and maybe use 'squeeze' in order to see the proper aspect ratio on older SD's! This is bull sh*t

FYI: the older HD-DVD has great AQ and VQ and no such trickery.

I'm NOT sold on Bluray, we are just being sucked into a more expensive game.

$15 titles will now cost $25 to $30.
vision-master is offline  
post #4343 of 9003 Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

A thorough answer to your question would actually be quite a chore for me because I now own a lot of concert DVDs and I would need to go back and look over all of them and maybe even relisten to some of them. Further, one has a tendency to rate AQ higher when it's music that you really like - in other words you're less objective when pretty good AQ and a good band coincide. In any event, I will list some disks that I really like for AQ and largely like for content (in no particular order):
Heart- Alive in Seatle.
Roger Waters - Live in the Flesh
The Best of Soundstage
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Randy Bachman- Every Song Tells a Story
Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
Music for Montserrat
Eric Clapton - One More Car, One More Rider
Lee Ritenour - Overtime

Of course there's lots of other disks that a like a lot becuase of content, but the list was primarily based on AQ.

Ed


Man, you've got good taste in music. I'd rank Overtime-Lee Ritenour 1, Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits 2.
gbaby is offline  
post #4344 of 9003 Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Artslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Very tricky Mr Bluray. The player 'screen format' is set to 'original', but it stretched out the aspect ratio on a 4:3 title to 16:9 anyways. Why do they do this? Now I have to check before hand and maybe use 'squeeze' in order to see the proper aspect ratio on older SD's! This is bull sh*t

FYI: the older HD-DVD has great AQ and VQ and no such trickery.

I'm NOT sold on Bluray, we are just being sucked into a more expensive game.

$15 titles will now cost $25 to $30.

I wish the media companies would offer downloads for all their catalogs.

I'd just buy something like the NETGEAR Didgital Entertainer Elite with swappable drives and store everything on drives. I'm waiting, because I want to skip Sony and it's Bluray licensing fees, and old disk technology.

Come on media companies!
Artslinger is offline  
post #4345 of 9003 Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Artslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Live at Alabama Hall Munich 1985 (2009)
Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes
Running Time 155 Minutes
DVD Release Date: May 19, 2009

"This 1985 concert vividly captured in Germany. In it Southside Johnny delivers a blinding set consisting of such stage favorites as 'I Don't Want To Go Home', 'Love On The Wrong Side Of Town' and the Springsteen-penned 'Talk To Me' and 'The Fever'. Southside Johnny is highly-respected in both blues and rock circles and has built a loyal and substantial following over the years with his frequent touring. This DVD includes a special bonus concert, 'Having A Party', filmed in 1991 on Southside Johnny's home ground, the famous Stone Pony Club in Asbury Park, New Jersey. He is joined on one number by anot"





All or Nothing: Live from London (2009)
Steve Marriott
Running Time 60 Minutes
DVD Release Date: June 16, 2009

"'Live In London' features a full show Steve Marriott played with his band 'Packet Of Three' at London's Camden Palace Theatre in 1985. Marriott revisits many hits from his back catalog including classic Small Faces songs 'What'cha Gonna Do ... Full DescriptionAbout It', 'All Or Nothing' and 'Tin Soldier' and Humble Pie singles '30 Days In The Hole' and 'I Don't Need No Doctor'. Marriott is quite simply a rock n roll legend - as leader of the Small Faces and Humble Pie he is responsible for some of the all-time great songs created by any British musician. Marriott formed the Small Faces with Ronnie Lane in 1964 and they went on to become of the legendary British bands of their era with classic hit songs including 'All Or Nothing', 'Tin Soldier', 'Lazy Sunday' and 'Itchycoo Park' and the seminal album 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake'. The band split in 1969 and Marriott went on to form Humble Pie with Peter Frampton"

Artslinger is offline  
post #4346 of 9003 Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member
 
ekb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Very tricky Mr Bluray. The player 'screen format' is set to 'original', but it stretched out the aspect ratio on a 4:3 title to 16:9 anyways. Why do they do this? Now I have to check before hand and maybe use 'squeeze' in order to see the proper aspect ratio on older SD's! This is bull sh*t

But I tought you said the picture is not distorted.

Ed
ekb is offline  
post #4347 of 9003 Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member
 
ekb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Man, you've got good taste in music. I'd rank Overtime-Lee Ritenour 1, Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits 2.




Ed
ekb is offline  
post #4348 of 9003 Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnR_IN_LA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington DC Area
Posts: 7,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Man, you've got good taste in music. I'd rank Overtime-Lee Ritenour 1, Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits 2.

I think the Boz Scaggs performance is very lacking, Boz looks like he would rather be anywhere but there... and whats with that wierd bored audience? It is a good recording, but....

Also, don't you guys ever listen to new music?
JohnR_IN_LA is offline  
post #4349 of 9003 Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

But I tought you said the picture is not distorted.

Ed

The faces were just a little to big.
vision-master is offline  
post #4350 of 9003 Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

I think the Boz Scaggs performance is very lacking, Boz looks like he would rather be anywhere but there... and whats with that wierd bored audience? It is a good recording, but....

Also, don't you guys ever listen to new music?

Recommendations?
vision-master is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off