Concert dvd recommendations - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Concert dvd recommendations
buzz's Avatar buzz 03:09 PM 12-15-2004
Deron,

Image quality is excellent, really excellent. I have about 40 concerts & I'd say its up there with the best!

buzz

Yosh70's Avatar Yosh70 09:16 PM 12-15-2004
Has anyone seen Rod Stewarts new DVD yet?
Live at Royal Albert Hall I believe.....any mini-reviews out there?
JohnR_IN_LA's Avatar JohnR_IN_LA 09:50 PM 12-15-2004
I owned the Rod Stewart "Great American Songbook" concert. Quality was excellent, the songbook was all covers of standards, and the material really sucked.

But hes a strong performer, typical Rod Stewart, a vain prettyboy "this is my real hair" but he must be 60 now.
He had this sexy blonde saxaphonist that was a pleasure to watch, she was actually decent.
Wakey's Avatar Wakey 07:36 AM 12-29-2004
Yall check out Peter Gabriel's new Play; The Videos. I replied to 2 threads in this forum with a short review. The 96/24 DTS audio mix was done by Daniel Lanois and it's stellar!
Dallas777's Avatar Dallas777 08:04 AM 12-29-2004
Recently picked up Dave Mason Live at Sunrise.

At first, I wasn't really thrilled with it. But after playing it a few times, it has kinda grown on me and is now one of my favorite Concert DVD's.

It's great to hear some of the old Traffic tunes and of course most of his solo stuff. The very first concert I ever attended was Traffic in New Haven, CT in 1970.

PQ - 7-9 depending on the scenes

AQ - 8 or so

Performance - 9-10

Dave is such a great guitar player, even in his "old age"

Best track is the old Traffic tune, 40,000 Headmen

But I wish every producer would mix the guitar solos like Springsteen did on his Live in NYC DVD. That is, with the solo guitar wailing on the center dialog channel. When Bruces wails a solo, my center channel almost catches on fire!

Dave's producer split the guitar solos on both front channels. It would have been soooooooo much better on the center channel alone.

Bruce is the only one that I know of that got it right.
hddvds's Avatar hddvds 09:18 PM 12-29-2004
UB40 live in Holland
Oldfred's Avatar Oldfred 10:08 AM 12-30-2004
There's a Steven Stills/Manassas DVD that was taped at a German TV studio in the early 70's without an audience. PQ and audio are quite good for the time period and the band is excellent. Always amazed me that they didn't make it bigger.

As far as modern concert DVDs go, the best of my 30 or so music DVDs is Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live. Stunning 16:9 video shot with HD cameras in a San Francisco ballroom. Great DTS and 5.1 audio with an excellent mix. Boz is not exactly a vibrant presence but he has an crackerjack band. This is a real reference concert DVD.
motoman's Avatar motoman 10:31 AM 12-30-2004
I picked up the Alison Krauss + Union Station Live set over the holidays. What a great disc. Excellent picture and sound. Really enjoyed it.

Jim
elicross's Avatar elicross 01:48 PM 12-30-2004
For Genesis fans:

The Way We Walk has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread.
It isn't widescreen, but it was mixed with a lot of input from the band and sounds great. It has multiple angles on every performance. It has some excellent interviews and other extras.

Live at Wembly Stadium
Widescreen. Not nearly so polished as The Way We Walk, but if you ever want to feel what a stadium concert feels like, this DVD will show you.
JohnR_IN_LA's Avatar JohnR_IN_LA 04:01 PM 12-30-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Oldfred

As far as modern concert DVDs go, the best of my 30 or so music DVDs is Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live. Stunning 16:9 video shot with HD cameras in a San Francisco ballroom. Great DTS and 5.1 audio with an excellent mix. Boz is not exactly a vibrant presence but he has an crackerjack band. This is a real reference concert DVD.

This is a DVD of extremes.

Reference sound and video - Wow!
Decent band - but unmotivated
Material is spotty- Theres a reason Boz was a "1 album wonder".
Poor performance - Boz leads a bored performance.
Poor Audience - obviously not music lovers
JohnR_IN_LA's Avatar JohnR_IN_LA 04:06 PM 12-30-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Dallas777
Recently picked up Dave Mason Live at Sunrise.

At first, I wasn't really thrilled with it. But after playing it a few times, it has kinda grown on me and is now one of my favorite Concert DVD's.

It's great to hear some of the old Traffic tunes and of course most of his solo stuff. The very first concert I ever attended was Traffic in New Haven, CT in 1970.

PQ - 7-9 depending on the scenes

AQ - 8 or so

Performance - 9-10

Dave is such a great guitar player, even in his "old age"

Best track is the old Traffic tune, 40,000 Headmen

But I wish every producer would mix the guitar solos like Springsteen did on his Live in NYC DVD. That is, with the solo guitar wailing on the center dialog channel. When Bruces wails a solo, my center channel almost catches on fire!

Dave's producer split the guitar solos on both front channels. It would have been soooooooo much better on the center channel alone.

Bruce is the only one that I know of that got it right.

Thanks, I want this one now.

Interesting comment on putting the guitar on the center channel, that makes infinite sense, I will have to see if any of my titles have that feature.

I agree Bruce Live NYC DVD is the most amazing stadium recording out there.
mchuckp's Avatar mchuckp 05:46 PM 12-30-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by tREN
the cure, trilogy
anamorphic WS (filmed w/ HD cameras)
and dolby 5.1
best PQ I have seen on any concert DVD bar none.

additionally Red Hot Chili Peppers, off the map
catches them on a very good night, nice DTS but 4:3

allison krauss, diana krall???
wake me when its over..

I am a HUGE, HUGE cure fan. I love the performance of the Trilogy DVD but I think they could have done a better job on the transfer. It was shot with HD cameras but that doesn't mean much unless you make the transfer right. I thought the blacks were very grainy. Still a great DVD but not the best for PQ. Sound and content is A+!

Visually, YES Symphonic in Amsterdam is amazing! Deep solid blacks and great all around color. I believe this was also filmed in HD but I think they spend more time and money getting a better transfer. If you like YES and have a nice HD TV and DVD player, this is great one!

BTW, I'm also a HUGE Phish fan but stay away from Phish Live in Vegas. Worst PQ I've seen on a concert DVD and terrible setlist. It was only released since it was originally shot for a webcast. I haven't checked out the IT DVD release by them yet.
jcmccorm's Avatar jcmccorm 08:31 PM 12-30-2004
Jet - Family Style. Picked it up at Best Buy for $11.99.

I watched this one all the way through the other night. PQ is so-so. Not great, but I've definitely seen worse.

Audio (DTS even thoug it doesn't say on the box) sounds great. Vocals are clear as a bell.

The best part is the music and the band. These guys are fun to watch. They are young and on top of their game. Check it out.

Cary
JBaumgart's Avatar JBaumgart 08:32 PM 12-30-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA

I think you are being a bit harsh here. I agree that the performance is not exactly flamboyant, but sometimes a laid back presentation is what I want to watch and hear. In any case I certainly would not call it boring.

I also think the musicians backing Boz up are excellent and the song selection is very good as well. All in all, this disc is definitely in my Top 5.
Oldfred's Avatar Oldfred 08:35 PM 12-30-2004
Quote:

I'll have to take issue with your last four points. True, the band doesn't leap around on stage, but these guys are old pros, they prefer to let the music speak for itself. The audience seemed sufficiently engaged to me also.

As for Scaggs only having one big hit album, that's definitely valid. But two albums pre-Silk Degrees, Slow Dancer and Moments, were arguably better than Degrees. And a couple of his 90's albums, Come On Home & Some Change, find their way to my CD player much more often than Degrees. Particularily Come On Home which is a great blues CD, possibly his most enjoyable effort.

In the end, comparing musical artists is an apples and oranges thing. The White Stripes are a popular band these days and while I enjoy a good garage band, the Stripes leave me cold. Both the Allison Krauss & Aimee Mann DVDs are excellent in terms of PQ and audio, but I find myself getting bored about halfway through.

I love this thread, though. Gotta look into that Yes DVD.
ekb's Avatar ekb 10:43 AM 12-31-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Oldfred
I love this thread, though. Gotta look into that Yes DVD.

IMO, "House of Yes, Live from House of Blues" is much better than Symphonic. Yes seems to have a lot of DVDs out - I've seen/have many of them, and I think the one I'm recommending is the best one.

Ed
Kilgore's Avatar Kilgore 01:56 PM 12-31-2004
Yes Symphonic Live is worth it for the Gates of Delirium alone. One of my favorite concert DVDs by far
Newest Hobby's Avatar Newest Hobby 07:21 PM 12-31-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Kilgore
Yes Symphonic Live is worth it for the Gates of Delirium alone. One of my favorite concert DVDs by far

Dang-it..I was at Suncoast today to pick up a couple new Concerts for tonight because some friends are coming over. I forgot to check for "YES" concerts. I will pick this one up next time. Thanks for the heads-up.

Boy, I bought Don Henley LIVE "Inside Job" (just a box and a DVD-no fancy packaging) and I am about half way through and this is a fantastic recording. The video is incredibly crisp and the music sounds great in DTS. I think it just might be better than "When Hell Freezes Over"..(Although the audience could get off their butts and get in to it a little more-but "Hell" was kind of the same). Don cracks me up with his need to hold a guitar although he really is not very good on the g. (It's like a cigarette or security blanket to the guy). Still love his voice though and he is typically planted in one spot as usual.

Also, picked up REM "Perfect Square" based on advise in this thread. I will let you all know my thoughts on this one.

Man, Henley can belt em out...but sometimes I long for "UFO" and "Foghat-Live"..That was a great era for Rock in my mind...

Happy New Year all !!

Rick
Distorted's Avatar Distorted 10:19 PM 12-31-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by vegout
Anybody have Cat Stevens Majikat? It's from 1976? I saw one of the shows live on that tour and this brings back great memories. The sound is unbelievable, especially for a show this old...

I disagree. To me the sound has an echo or ring in it from bad miking, the picture is a "C-", and the performance, which was the last before his extended sabbatical, showed he needed a twenty year rest. It was frentic with tempos of "let's get this mess over with," that was horrid. He also was doing this head bobbing thing that reminded me of some of the patients in the corner in the psycho ward in "One Flew Over The Cuckkoo's Nest" - and this comes from a fan. He was either drugged, or mentally ill, or both.

On the good side, and probably the reason for the release, Yushef gives a good and appealing interview on the twists and turns of his life and career - not near enough to recommend though.
Distorted's Avatar Distorted 10:56 PM 12-31-2004
I have ~75 performance DVD's in a carousel player that I watch more than the movies. I watch certain ones often though, and others little. Of the ones I watch, I really like certain tracks, and others I merely tolerate or dislike. What I really want are compilations like I make of CD's. This would be expecially good because I would strip off FBI warnings, label promos, foreign languages and special features. Can this be done with readily available programs, still retaining DTS/Dolby 5.1 only, ready to play with no further need for set-up?

Has anyone done this.
pcdoctor's Avatar pcdoctor 01:04 AM 01-01-2005
I have "Tina Turner Live In Amsterdam" and still haven't watched it.
I have to Dolby version but wished I had the DTS version.
Tangram's Avatar Tangram 10:51 AM 01-01-2005
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense: Still the greatest achievement of the genre. Having Jonathon Demme direct doesn't hurt but the sound and performance is top notch. My reference concert DVD.

Led Zeppelin - DVD: Bonzo's drum solo on Moby Dick is worth the price alone. Absolutely electrifying performances from the greatest rock band ever.

Bjork - Live at the Royal Opera House: Performance Art at its very best. Laurie Anderson for the 21st century. A rightful successor to Kate Bush. Call her what you want, this woman is incredibly theatrical, a unique talent who is not everybody's cup of tea but I am personally really enjoying this DVD. Top notch A/V production, including good use of the surround speakers.

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live: Widescreen, DTS, great performance, great sound. Video is not up to snuff (bit grainy) but the direction/editing is good. A young Paula Cole on backing and duet vocals was a nice surprise.

Rush - Live in Rio: This performance really rocks BUT, the editing is too choppy (way to many camera angle changes, coming at you rapid fire). Plus, the crowd noise is to my taste hugely distracting. I understand that this was truly how loud the crowd was, but I don't care for it. I will try lowering the sound level on the surround speakers to see if that helps.

Roger Waters - In the Flesh: A must have for Pink Floyd fans. Very true to the original sound although it is weird seeing some young buck singing David Gilmour's lines! Superior production and sound quality. Highly recommended.

David Gilmour - Live in Concert: The acoustics on this one are amazing. A lot of acoustic arrangements, unlike Roger Waters, who sticks to the electric versions of tunes. This guy is a true virtuoso guitarist.

David Byrne - Live at Union Chapel: After Stop Making Sense, it is impossible to live up to expectations. Byrne's voice is in fine form, although he's a bit older and a bit greyer. Less electronic (no beats) and the arrangements don't pack the same punch, but the production qualities and sound are very good.

Neil Young - Silver and Gold: All Neil, all acoustic. Again, great sound, image a little grainy but a must if you are a fan.
mattg3's Avatar mattg3 11:28 AM 01-03-2005
Old friends by Simon and garfunkel is a great dvd concert ruined by poor pq and a bad choice of concert halls.They sound amazing and the set list is great but at this point in time its a disgrace to not use hd cameras and pick a more intimate setting than a massive hall full of screaming fans.If only someone had taken the time to book a special dvd concert at the Beacon theater as James taylor did who ended up with a referance quality dvd concert.This concert was a long time coming and now the chance has been missed.If you want to see how good a concert can look check out rod stewarts One Night Only.
outlier2's Avatar outlier2 01:31 AM 01-04-2005
I can't agree with those who recommend Four Flicks by the Rolling Stones. If you are a die hard Stones fan maybe but this is some of the sloppiest live music I've heard outside a garage. Keith and Ron are phoning in their performances from some unknown place in the universe. If anything they are a great example to anyone who can pick up a guitar that talent isn't necessary to make money in the music business. I really love the moments when they both forget to play a chord and songs stutter along until someone in the backup band carries the tune for them.

Picture quality and sound quality is great blah blah. Foolscreen is unacceptable though and will be my excuse to dump this loser of a purchase back on Best Buy. Despite good audio/video, a concert DVD has to start with a performance and these guys are so far past the best before date that I was embarrassed for them watching it. Of the three performances the Stadium show is the only one worth the price of admissssion. Mick pulls it out of the fire even when Ron and Keith are dogging it. Be prepared to fast forward frequently. The stones have a solid repetoir of classic songs from Jumpin Jack Flash to Paint it Black to Start Me UP. That was the reason I bought this set but it doesn't deliver like I thought it would.

Anyway, I'm returning mine and will probably pick up the Heart DVD as a replacement.

Quote:

Originally posted by tcoursen
I will also put in a plug for the Rolling Stones Four Flicks. Received that and Rush In Rio for Christmas. Rush in Rio is a great concert, but the sound, while still good, is not as good as many of the others I have seen and heard. I would have liked to have seen the vocals a little higher in the mix and the crowd a little lower. Probably still like a 7.5 out of 10, wheras something like the Rolling Stones is a 9.

One thing that the Rolling Stones Four FLicks has has that I haven't seen on the other concert DVDs that I have is the feature that they call the custom setlist. They give you a list of the tracks for the concert and you can have it play the songs that you want in the order that you want. This was a very nice feature to use the first night I got the discs and just wanted to sample a few of the songs. Set it up and it plays them in the order you set. I would imagine that others have this feature, but I haven't seen it on any of the other 8 or so concert DVDs that I have.

Other favorites include :
Roger Waters - In The Flesh
Gov't Mule - The Deepest End
The Grateful Dead - Live At Winterland
Led Zeppelin - DVD

Rupert's Avatar Rupert 08:16 AM 01-04-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by Distorted
I have ~75 performance DVD's in a carousel player that I watch more than the movies. I watch certain ones often though, and others little. Of the ones I watch, I really like certain tracks, and others I merely tolerate or dislike. What I really want are compilations like I make of CD's. This would be expecially good because I would strip off FBI warnings, label promos, foreign languages and special features. Can this be done with readily available programs, still retaining DTS/Dolby 5.1 only, ready to play with no further need for set-up?

Has anyone done this.

Yes, I've recently done just that. I was able to fit around 12 tracks on a DVD-R without any video compression. The DTS/DD audio remains intact.

Do a google search for freeware called "DVD Shrink".
Wakey's Avatar Wakey 10:13 PM 01-04-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by Distorted

Has anyone done this.

Here is a good FAQ that also has links for DVD Shrink. DVD Shrink FAQ

I make greatest hits DVD's with action scenes & with live music as well. No menus and the audio track I choose.

Great for a system demo. Put in the disc & press play.
Distorted's Avatar Distorted 01:57 AM 01-06-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by Wakey

I make greatest hits DVD's with action scenes & with live music as well. No menus and the audio track I choose.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try.

Can you adjust volume levels for each track, and can you create a menu of songs?
bw191's Avatar bw191 06:50 AM 01-06-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by Wakey

How do you edit the copied files to get the certain scenes you want?
outlier2's Avatar outlier2 08:17 AM 01-06-2005
Hi guys,

Maybe you should start another thread or take it to PM. This is a VERY long but useful thread and maybe we should keep it focused on Concert DVD's rather than a tutorial on ripping DVD's (which is fascinating but not relevant to this thread).

Cheers.
Wakey's Avatar Wakey 08:20 AM 01-06-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by bw191
How do you edit the copied files to get the certain scenes you want?

You really need to read the various FAQ's & help files.

Check here for more. http://forums.afterdawn.com/
Tags: Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop