Concert dvd recommendations - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 8992 Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Last week a friend of mine show me this "drum duel" from the GODSMACK - CHANGES (DVD) Wow!

-
Rodrigues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 8992 Old 06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post

Last week a friend of mine show me this "drum duel" from the GODSMACK - CHANGES (DVD) Wow!

Kinda like modern day Allman Brothers.

I NEED to check this DVD out.

Is the documentary separate from the concert? Must know!
post #4773 of 8992 Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Not sure, because I did not watch the whole disc, but I think the documentary and the concert are mixed.

-
Rodrigues
post #4774 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Sort of.......you have to pick "Individual Songs" from the top menu. This cuts out all of the yapping but, causes a small break in the video and audio between the songs. It's a great DVD with great sound.

Steve
post #4775 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

Sort of.......you have to pick "Individual Songs" from the top menu. This cuts out all of the yapping but, causes a small break in the video and audio between the songs. It's a great DVD with great sound.

So you can select a set list?

How long is the concert?
post #4776 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post

Not sure, because I did not watch the whole disc, but I think the documentary and the concert are mixed.

Why must 'they' do this?
post #4777 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why must 'they' do this?

This little comment from amazon reviewer explain exactly what I (we?) think

Quote:

Too much talking and interviews. I just wanted to watch them live.

Anyway IMHO still worth a watch!
In that drum duet I saw a big subwoofer works like never before!

-
Rodrigues
post #4778 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Why must 'they' do this?

"They" all think that they're the next Martin Scorsese, so they copy the style of The Last Waltz.
post #4779 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So you can select a set list?

How long is the concert?

No, it's just one of the choices in the main menu that allows you to just play the music part. I think that it is just over an hour if you choose to play the songs only.

Steve
post #4780 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hi All,

New to the Forum.

Saw this Thread and it caught my attention, as I just happen to Love this concert on DVD I recently have been playing - Bob Marley, The Legend Live. Santa Barbara County Bowl Nov 25th 1979.

An incredible amount of excellent tunes with extended live versions, plus you get to check out Bob's awesome band and the i & i girls.

I'm watching way more music/concert DVD's these days, I'm sure there are other Forum members experiencing this, I wonder is this because hollywood and the film industry is running out of old movie plots to rehash, or is it that the concert DVD's are becoming so much more interesting with better content?

Off to read more great Threads in the Forum.

Peace.

Peter
www.TVBacklightGuide.com
Where do I put the TV Light to Avoid Eye Strain?
post #4781 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterDIYm8 View Post

Hi All,

New to the Forum.

Saw this Thread and it caught my attention, as I just happen to Love this concert on DVD I recently have been playing - Bob Marley, The Legend Live. Santa Barbara County Bowl Nov 25th 1979.

An incredible amount of excellent tunes with extended live versions, plus you get to check out Bob's awesome band and the i & i girls.

I'm watching way more music/concert DVD's these days, I'm sure there are other Forum members experiencing this, I wonder is this because hollywood and the film industry is running out of old movie plots to rehash, or is it that the concert DVD's are becoming so much more interesting with better content?

Off to read more great Threads in the Forum.

Peace.

Welcome to the forum.

Many folks watch Concerts as their main entertainment, some just as a variant of watching movies. Whatever your choice, enjoy!

-t
post #4782 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterDIYm8 View Post

Hi All,

New to the Forum.

I know for me the transition from 2 channel to a multichannel HT had a lot to do with it, as did the ever increasing audio quality of concert DVD's. Actually the latter probably had the most to do with it.
I put a lot of effort to get my HT to be able to reproduce accurate music at concert levels to be able to fully enjoy them. I can watch a movie a few times but I can, and do, watch most of my concert DVD's a ton!
post #4783 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I know for me the transition from 2 channel to a multichannel HT had a lot to do with it, as did the ever increasing audio quality of concert DVD's.

It's completely different for me. I've been a long time audiophile and good quality 2 channel audio has never been matched by the MC concert DVDs of today. Back then it was completely about the audio. But now I enjoy concert DVD's, not so much for the quality of the audio, but for the half decent audio and especially the matching video.

Ed
post #4784 of 8992 Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

It's completely different for me. I've been a long time audiophile and good quality 2 channel audio has never been matched by the MC concert DVDs of today. Back then it was completely about the audio. But now I enjoy concert DVD's, not so much for the quality of the audio, but for the half decent audio and especially the matching video.

Ed

I think we're saying the same thing two different ways. Finding decent live concert recordings was so rare with two channel, and most were unpalatable frankly. I couldn't have a 2 channel room and an HT room so I had to meld the two and live concert DVD's kind of started by accident for me. I think over the past three or four years and with the hi-rez codecs on Blu Ray that some concert DVD's are approaching 2 channel or SACD studio recording quality. One shining example is Pat Metheney's "The Way Up Live" on BD in DTS HD MA, simply outstanding, and easily as good as any 2 channel redbook CD or SACD I've ever heard.
post #4785 of 8992 Old 06-24-2009, 05:50 AM

for me it was the price of concert tickets, and the crappy acoustics at venues like Giants Stadium.

I didn't have $500 a ticket to go see Paul McCartney years back, but I sure had $19.95 to buy the DVD, and my wife at the time watched it over and over again, sometimes with her girlfriends and a bottle of wine. She never gave me grief about the hi-fi system again! ;-)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
post #4786 of 8992 Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

for me it was the price of concert tickets, and the crappy acoustics at venues like Giants Stadium.

There's definitely that too.
My system sounds significantly better than most venues in our town. I go to concerts on a fairly regular basis in spite of that, and it's interesting to hear the wild swings in the audio quality of the different venues and even where you sit in the same ones.
I saw my favorite artist, Mark Knopfler, at one of the best acoustic venues here, the Orpheum, and sadly up in the balcony his voice was virtually drowned out in all but the quietest of passages. That was bad mixing on his technicians part obviously, but something I won't have to put up with in my HT.
post #4787 of 8992 Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

There's definitely that too.
My system sounds significantly better than most venues in our town. I go to concerts on a fairly regular basis in spite of that, and it's interesting to hear the wild swings in the audio quality of the different venues and even where you sit in the same ones.
I saw my favorite artist, Mark Knopfler, at one of the best acoustic venues here, the Orpheum, and sadly up in the balcony his voice was virtually drowned out in all but the quietest of passages. That was bad mixing on his technicians part obviously, but something I won't have to put up with in my HT.

Bummer on the Mark Knopfler concert. I hate when that happens. Do you have the dvd Music For Monserat? A charity concert with many artists, he does a couple of good numbers including Money For Nothing with Eric Clapton and Sting. Then at the end, he is part of the whole group (Mark Knopfler, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Sting, Phil Collins, Carl Perkins, Jimmy Buffet, a reggae band, and a symphony orchestra) on some incredible versions of Hey Jude and Kansas City. Really great stuff, I have mentioned this dvd before, probably somewhere way back on this thread.

never take life seriously
post #4788 of 8992 Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Bummer on the Mark Knopfler concert. I hate when that happens. Do you have the dvd Music For Monserat? A charity concert with many artists, he does a couple of good numbers including Money For Nothing with Eric Clapton and Sting. Then at the end, he is part of the whole group (Mark Knopfler, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Sting, Phil Collins, Carl Perkins, Jimmy Buffet, a reggae band, and a symphony orchestra) on some incredible versions of Hey Jude and Kansas City. Really great stuff, I have mentioned this dvd before, probably somewhere way back on this thread.

I don't have that one, but it sounds interesting. I have a lot of Claptons' stuff including the two Guitar Festivals and nowhere near enough Knopfler live concert stuff. I've got the one he did with Emmy Lou Harris, but it's not really a Knopfler showcase if you know what I mean. But I do have every Dire Straights and solo albums he's put out since, on LP's, CD's & SACD's.

I was a little pissed at Knopfler at that concert because in between songs a few people called out that we couldn't hear his vocals and that the mix was off. He said "what, are you guys audio engineers now?"... I don't think he realized how bad it was because it seems out of character.
post #4789 of 8992 Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 AM

Queen & Paul Rodgers live in Ukraine

I've been watching it a few times, and it's a gem. here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nddNL...e=channel_page

the pq is very good for a regular dvd (shot in hd, and my bd player upscales it) - I hope it will be released in HD in the future - it would be a crime not to

the scene is very impressive - 350 000 people. must have been amazing to look out over the crowd

the setlist is mostly hits plus a few tracks of their 2008 album The Cosmos Rocks. seeing as this is the first night of the tour - the band is really tight

aq is very good as far as I can tell. I've only listened to the stereo track which is pcm, but it sounds very good to me. Brian May's guitar is a little less prominent in the mix than on the 2005 release. the positive is that the sound seems more balanced and my sound system can really crank it up without suffering from some distortion which was a problem on "return of the champions" from 2005. this is down to both the mix and the set up May uses for his guitar.
another big pluss is the drum sound on this release. a much better mix than on the 2005 release, and it has a more authentic sound with more depth.

so all in all - very enjoyable and recommended
post #4790 of 8992 Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

good review eiricd
post #4791 of 8992 Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know for me the transition from 2 channel to a multichannel HT had a lot to do with it, as did the ever increasing audio quality of concert DVD's. Actually the latter probably had the most to do with it.
I put a lot of effort to get my HT to be able to reproduce accurate music at concert levels to be able to fully enjoy them. I can watch a movie a few times but I can, and do, watch most of my concert DVD's a ton!

+ 1

I remember seeing a quip from someone here at AVS a few years ago that DVD concerts are the reason God invented Home Theater!
post #4792 of 8992 Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

+ 1

I remember seeing a quip from someone here at AVS a few years ago that DVD concerts are the reason God invented Home Theater!

LOL, it would almost seem so wouldn't it.

Picked up the Woodstock BD yesterday and I'm looking forward to a trip down memory lane sometime this weekend.
post #4793 of 8992 Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm loving the Sia DVD - "TV Is My Parent" - simple 5.1 mix, intimate camera coverage. A+

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
post #4794 of 8992 Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched the Woodstock BD last night. Definitely an interesting retrospective of the event. The TrueHD mix was better than I thought it would be, and you could tell they paid a great deal of attention to getting the vocals sounding right. I suppose working with the masters they had might be the reason, but I found the AQ varied a fair bit from artist to artist. Having said that, the passion of the artists and their performances certainly was well conveyed.
They did do an excellent job of re-mastering the ending Hendrix set. I'm looking forward to checking out the second disc.
post #4795 of 8992 Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Watched the Woodstock BD last night. Definitely an interesting retrospective of the event. The TrueHD mix was better than I thought it would be, and you could tell they paid a great deal of attention to getting the vocals sounding right. I suppose working with the masters they had might be the reason, but I found the AQ varied a fair bit from artist to artist. Having said that, the passion of the artists and their performances certainly was well conveyed.
They did do an excellent job of re-mastering the ending Hendrix set. I'm looking forward to checking out the second disc.

Filmed in 16mm and transfered to 70mm. 5 camera's shooting 12+ hours day = about 180 hours of footage. The original film (1st disk) has about 8 hours of footage if you break down the split screens.

The 2cd disk does not have TrueHD mix, but the BR disk has 23 additional songs not included in the original film. Much more could have been released, except for those dang ol legal problems.
post #4796 of 8992 Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

+ 1

I remember many, many years ago - well before ld's or dvd's (hell, it was before VHS tapes!) - our local PBS television station broadcast the picture, while a local FM radio station broadcast the sound (and in stereo at that!! ) of a Gordon Lightfoot concert. I was CAPTIVATED. So, yes, I'd be the first to sign on to the verity of that 'quip.'

but I digress......
post #4797 of 8992 Old 06-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htomei22 View Post

I remember many, many years ago - well before ld's or dvd's (hell, it was before VHS tapes!) - our local PBS television station broadcast the picture, while a local FM radio station broadcast the sound (and in stereo at that!! ) of a Gordon Lightfoot concert. I was CAPTIVATED. So, yes, I'd be the first to sign on to the verity of that 'quip.'

And before stereo was widespread on the FM dial for Rn'R you had shows like Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert", "Night Flight", and others on TV late at night on Friday's and Saturdays. They were on before SNL came on the scene too! The music that came out of those 3' speakers...

-t
post #4798 of 8992 Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
It was "Rock Concert" and "Midnight Special" on broadcast TV during the 70's. "Night Flight" came later on cable (USA) in the 80's. I still have some VHS tapes of Night Flight shows !

Best of the genre however, was the original Soundstage on PBS which was followed by Austin City Limits. I did a college paper for a communications class that compared / contrasted Soundstage to the commercially broadcast shows of the time. Don't know if I still have a copy but it would probably be quite interesting to read today ;-)

In my market there were a couple of FM stereo stations that played "underground / progressive rock" from the very late 60's through the late 70's. Anybody here remember Dolby FM ?
post #4799 of 8992 Old 06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

It was "Rock Concert" and "Midnight Special" on broadcast TV during the 70's. "Night Flight" came later on cable (USA) in the 80's. I still have some VHS tapes of Night Flight shows !

Best of the genre however, was the original Soundstage on PBS which was followed by Austin City Limits. I did a college paper for a communications class that compared / contrasted Soundstage to the commercially broadcast shows of the time. Don't know if I still have a copy but it would probably be quite interesting to read today ;-)

In my market there were a couple of FM stereo stations that played "underground / progressive rock" from the very late 60's through the late 70's. Anybody here remember Dolby FM ?

I still use a Dolby Analog Reciever with my Sennheiser headphones.
post #4800 of 8992 Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

Anybody here remember Dolby FM ?

And how about FM simulcasting? This allowed you to listen in stereo while you turned down your TV audio and watched the live video. It didn't take a whole lot to get me excited back in those days...
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page