ekb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by tvuong
I just checked this DVD as I had it for a while and it is only dts 5.0 and DD5.0. Even in the back of the package says that. Still sound good though.

I commented on this the first time the issue came up, but let me repeat. To me, 5.0 makes more sense than 5.1 for music (as opposed to special effects in movies). If you have your bass management set up correctly, there should't be any problem with your subwoofer working.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the rambling in Billy Idol's Storyteller DVD is bothersome, go to features & select music only

Peter Gabriel's Play The Videos has this ability also and it in the new DTS 96/24 format.. New for video DVD that is..

I'm really a rock & roller to the core, although my tastes are wide and I can not seem to get the Peter Gabriel out of the DVD player. It sounds simply stunning in DTS. Many times I don't even turn the TV on..
post #633 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ekb
I commented on this the first time the issue came up, but let me repeat. To me, 5.0 makes more sense than 5.1 for music (as opposed to special effects in movies). If you have your bass management set up correctly, there should't be any problem with your subwoofer working.

Ed

LOL its a problem for most of us ED.

Bass Management is a pretty high end feature, I bet its only on about 10% of receivers.
post #634 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Heart Live In Seattle is a mixed bag IMHO.

The sound quality is good, and the performance is solid, yet uninspired.

Most old rock stars need to freshen up the presentation of their songs, they get stale over the years.

I know Page and Plant did in their late 90s concert. David Gilmour and Roger Waters freshened up their music for their DVDs.

However bands like the Who, and Heart, seem for the most part, to play their music like it is on the Album.

I gotta run, i will add more to this later.
post #635 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 91
How is the sound on peter gabriels video collection PLAY?On amazon they review it like its the greatest sound yet on dvd.

Matt
post #636 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattg3
How is the sound on peter gabriels video collection PLAY?On amazon they review it like its the greatest sound yet on dvd.

Very adventurous 5.1 mixes with some hits and many misses.
Some songs are entirely reworked, (Shaking The Tree, which I really like both old and new versions),
and some are just very different sounding, (Games Without Frontiers, which I didn't like).
Might work better without picture as I'm constantly being distracted by the lead vocal in the rears.
(Though I did like how they tried to do 'Don't Give Up', it just didn't quite come out very good.)
Also some levels issues. Listen to the Dolby Digital or DTS in stereo mode and you will see these are not great mixes, fun as they may be in 5.1.
For me, really interesting for one listen and that's about it.
Feel free to disagree....
post #637 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 03:10 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
LOL its a problem for most of us ED.

Bass Management is a pretty high end feature, I bet its only on about 10% of receivers.

If we are talking about A/V receivers that do DD 5.1 then I disagree. They ALL have it since that's a requirement for the DD 5.1 certification. And I would image that just about everyone reading this forum would be using such a system. In fact, if they're not, then 5.0 or 5.1 is a moot point. Now the old fashion 2 channel (analog inputs only) receivers did not have them.

Ed
post #638 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 03:18 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heart Live In Seattle is a mixed bag IMHO.

The sound quality is good, and the performance is solid, yet uninspired.

Most old rock stars need to freshen up the presentation of their songs, they get stale over the years.

I know Page and Plant did in their late 90s concert. David Gilmour and Roger Waters freshened up their music for their DVDs.

However bands like the Who, and Heart, seem for the most part, to play their music like it is on the Album.

I gotta run, i will add more to this later.

Sorry John, but again I have to disagree with you. I guess it's a matter of taste. I much prefer a performance that is as faithful to the original as possible. I invariably dislike "inspired" versions.

BTW, I had made a recommendation to you a while ago that I think you missed. It's Meat Loaf - the one with the Melbourne (Australia) Symphony Orchestra. He puts in 120% effort. Really rocks. PQ and AQ are good. Patricia Russo who is his female partner does as good, if not better job. But the Dashboard Lights song is nothing like the original and may be the kind of embelishment that you like.

Ed
post #639 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ed, we've all heard poor "embellishments" thats for sure. But have you heard what David Gilmour does for old Floyd, by replacing the bass guitar with a cello teamed with a classic standup bassist?

Or the Eagles acoustic concert "Hell Freezes Over". Or nearly any Prince concert performance, that guy almost always sounds better at the show.

Or that classical orchestra and all those country string players that are on "An Evening With The Dixie Chicks". Although I dont own the album, who knows, they could be there too

Or on the "Led Zepplin DVD", you see how the 4 members of Led Zepplin can look at eachother, and slow down a song to a stop, then start it up again? What AMAZING players.

Its those moments, that I watch concerts for. As big of a Led Zepplin fans as those Heart girls are, I thought they could have floored the audience with a 12 minute version of Magic Man, or something : )
post #640 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Meat Loaf is on my list! But he kind of has the "One Album Wonder" uncertainty.

If a band put out only one good album, are they worth a concert DVD?

We have to ask ourselves, was the Frampton DVD worth it?
Was the Boz Skaggs DVD worth it?
post #641 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I personally love Frampton in Detroit. He still plays and sings very well for his age IMHO.

John
post #642 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 05:31 PM

I"ll throw in a very strong recommendation for the Corrs, specifically Lansdowne Road. Three beautiful and talented sisters and their brother before a frenzied home town crowd after their truimphant tour. Irish pop type music. Excellent audio, very good video, although I'll qualify it with one of the cameras must has a hair across the lens so many shots have this. It is otherwise great. The Corrs Albert Hall production offers better sound and cleaner video, but the concert is not as captivating.
Art T

Art T
post #643 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by antennahead
I personally love Frampton in Detroit. He still plays and sings very well for his age IMHO.

John

Oh heck yea he does, he plays great! But his song catalog is soo weak.

Theres so many prolific artists out there with multi-album catalogs, that agonize over what tunes they will have to leave out.
post #644 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I mentioned it before but I've been playing this track for a coupla weeks now....
On Ringo Starrs concert DVD, the best song is Free's "All Rite Now" with Peter Frampton on guitar, Jack Bruce(Cream) on bass, Simon Kirke (Free) on the skins along with a few others (Ringo, Gary Brooker etc.)
Love it when the wife goes out.....
post #645 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 07:32 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ed, we've all heard poor "embellishments" thats for sure. But have you heard what David Gilmour does for old Floyd, by replacing the bass guitar with a cello teamed with a classic standup bassist?

Or the Eagles acoustic concert "Hell Freezes Over". Or nearly any Prince concert performance, that guy almost always sounds better at the show.

I have both of the above disks and love parts of the Gilmour one. I can see what you mean that novel versions can be good - but, for me, it has to be a really good song and the new version has to be done well. Shine on you crazy diamond is an example of that.

Quote:

As big of a Led Zepplin fans as those Heart girls are, I thought they could have floored the audience with a 12 minute version of Magic Man, or something : )

BTW, I think that Heart's version of Battle of Evermore is even better than Led Zepplin!

Ed
post #646 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 07:38 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Meat Loaf is on my list! But he kind of has the "One Album Wonder" uncertainty.

If a band put out only one good album, are they worth a concert DVD?

I'm not really a Meat Loaf fan (is anybody?!) because after a while it all sounds the same. But what I was trying to say, is that he really goes all out to put on a really rocking show - I think that it's the kind of thing that you appreciate. The very good PQ and AQ is a real big bonus. Unfortunately it is an expensive disk. Anyone a member of Netflicks or similar clubs? Can you rent this kind of stuff just to check it out - because the local Blockbuster certainly doesn't carry this kind of stuff?

Ed
post #647 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Storytellers is pretty good with MeatLoaf, the PQ is grainy but for loaf fans...
post #648 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I was a pretty big ML fan in his hey day, I still have some memorabilia of him.
Check out my HT pic and look above the TV to the right......
post #649 of 9032 Old 02-15-2005, 11:03 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:

Originally posted by ekb
Anyone a member of Netflicks or similar clubs? Can you rent this kind of stuff just to check it out - because the local Blockbuster certainly doesn't carry this kind of stuff? Ed

Netflix has these DVDs. Can anyone recommend one? (Performance - PQ - SQ, etc.)

Thanks

- Classic Albums: Meat Loaf: Bat Out of Hell (1999)

- Meat Loaf: Hits Out of Hell (2000)

- Meat Loaf: Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (2004)

- Meat Loaf: VH1 Storytellers (1999)
post #650 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 05:58 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cyrano
Netflix has these DVDs. Can anyone recommend one? (Performance - PQ - SQ, etc.)

Thanks

- Classic Albums: Meat Loaf: Bat Out of Hell (1999)

- Meat Loaf: Hits Out of Hell (2000)

- Meat Loaf: Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (2004)

- Meat Loaf: VH1 Storytellers (1999)

Well I was talking about the Melbourne one - very good PQ and AQ.
I saw the Storytellers one and it's no where near as good. Haven't seen the other 2.

Ed
post #651 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Peter frampton live in detroit-Has anyone seen this?Lots of great reviews on the net stating the pq and audio are outstanding.Im not a fan but this might be a keeper considering the work he did on the ringo starr tour where he and jack bruce played together and stole the show.Framptons guitar playing was as good as clapton in his younger days.The only criticism I found was that someone said no sound at all comes from the center channel on the detroit dvd.Has anyone found this to be true?

Matt
post #652 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I just watched "Niacin: Live: Blood, Sweat, and Beers" last night. Concert filmed at a small venue in Japan. 4:3 PQ was not bad at all. Stereo sound was good. Performance was excellent!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #653 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peter frampton live in detroit-Has anyone seen this?Lots of great reviews on the net stating the pq and audio are outstanding.Im not a fan but this might be a keeper considering the work he did on the ringo starr tour where he and jack bruce played together and stole the show.Framptons guitar playing was as good as clapton in his younger days.The only criticism I found was that someone said no sound at all comes from the center channel on the detroit dvd.Has anyone found this to be true?

I have this and I think it is very good, both PQ (Matt you'll like the PQ since I believe it was recorded as HD video and you've commented that you like that) and AQ. I'll check about the center channel and get back. This is an old DVD and I remember several years ago that it was common not to put audio in the center channel. But I don't really miss it since the phantom center works for me.

Ed
post #654 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Matt, Frampton has a weak song catalog, but plays good and the sound/Video quality is there. It was a "listen once" DVD for me.

I will check the center channel tonite. I noticed that many concerts are basically recorded in Stereo, with a 3rd crowd channel. Roger Waters In The Flesh is recorded like this. and yes on these disks they often put the crowd channel in the center. Its not the best way to do it, thats for sure.

I would hesitate to compare *any* guitar player to Clapton, much less Peter Frampton. Clapton has a direct link between the brain and his guitar . All you have to do is watch Frampton for 5 minutes, and watch Clapton for 5 minutes, and you see the difference in intensity and musicality. Frampton is good, but hes mortal. he did some cool things with a voicebox in his early days, and the "Breaking The Rules" Frampton album had some decent work.

But IMHO 10 minutes of Claptons studio work on "Pros and Cons Of Hitchiking", shows more musical genus than Frampton's whole career.
post #655 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks john ,I agree but if you can, check out the dvd compilation of ringo starr and his all star band.Frampton and Jack bruce together really shocked me based on old frampton stuff from the eighties. You also get to see gary brooker,the lead force behind my procol harum recommendation

Matt
post #656 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 02:42 PM

I love Eric Clapton's Guitar Festival. I used to watch it 2 times a day when I first got it. Now I still watch it at least once a week. I don't think you can find any concert DVD in anamorphic video though.
post #657 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wdang
I don't think you can find any concert DVD in anamorphic video though.

What do you mean? I think there are loads of them.

Ed
post #658 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 06:46 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peter frampton live in detroit... The only criticism I found was that someone said no sound at all comes from the center channel on the detroit dvd.Has anyone found this to be true?

OK, I just checked. There is sound from the center but it's low level and simply ambient sound. That is, the main vocals are not there as they should be. Nevertheless, this hasn't bothered me since the phantom center works well.

Matt, I think that you'll like this DVD especially if you like the performance on the Ringo Star DVD since this one is much better (ie for Frampton). Regarding John's comments on this disk, everyone has their own tastes. My conmments are based on the fact that both of you post a lot and I feel that I have a sense of your different tastes.

Ed
post #659 of 9032 Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Altho Clapton can be grouped together with the likes of Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix, Frampton is no slouch himself and proves it on this concert DVD....like his acoustical abilities on 'All I Wanna Be' (Is By Your Side) and the licks in 'Do You Feel Like We Do'.
Matt, this Image Entertainment DVD will not disappoint. It is shot with HD cameras and the DTS sound is fantastic.
post #660 of 9032 Old 02-17-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Note, Roger Waters' In the Flesh also has nearly no sound coming from the Center Channel but it is one of the best sounding concerts I own. Strange but true...

Quote:

Originally posted by ekb
OK, I just checked. There is sound from the center but it's low level and simply ambient sound. That is, the main vocals are not there as they should be. Nevertheless, this hasn't bothered me since the phantom center works well.

Matt, I think that you'll like this DVD especially if you like the performance on the Ringo Star DVD since this one is much better (ie for Frampton). Regarding John's comments on this disk, everyone has their own tastes. My conmments are based on the fact that both of you post a lot and I feel that I have a sense of your different tastes.

Ed

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page