Concert dvd recommendations - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 9017 Old 04-28-2005, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would say there is about 75% of it is live performing. But that portion is a mix of the opening night concert and the rehersal sessions in the weeks before. The documentary portion is just as interesting as the performances. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9017 Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you like the Allman Brothers buy their Guitar player's (warren haynes) band (Gov't mule) cd/dvd package. The DVD is 3 hours of a single concert at a small concert hall in New Orleans. Their bass player had died in the recent past and they had an all-star lineup of bass players, e.g. les claypool, roger glover, etc. as well as other special guests. Check it out and get 2 CD's of the concert also. The total concert lasted 5 and 1/2 hours!
post #723 of 9017 Old 04-28-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a note to thank JohnR for his continuing contributions to this thread. John, your reviews are complete, insightful and generous in their scope. Your recent re-review of Led Zeppelin's disc set is just one example of how contagious your enthusiasm for the music is.

Over the life of this thread I have now purchased quite a few concert dvds - many of them based on your reviews - and I've yet to be disappointed with any of those discs. Thanks.

htomei

but I digress......
post #724 of 9017 Old 04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks man, i appreciate the words. Ive been to way too many shows, me knows my stuff about this one subject, hah! I even have this hunting vest with a rabbit pouch around the small of the back. Great for BYOB...

Ive gotten some good recommendations from here as well, and was delighted to find this thread when i arrived at this forum, thanks to the original James who started it
post #725 of 9017 Old 04-28-2005, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So glad to see this thread refuses to die.another recommendation is the latest phil collins DVD that I think is called Finally the first farewell tour.

Matt
post #726 of 9017 Old 04-28-2005, 07:51 PM

Glad to see this thread brought back to life. I purchased a bunch of concert DVD's to enjoy with the new sound system I'm installing. As soon as I have it all set up I will dive right in and let everybody know what I think of them. Most have been reviewed here but there at least a couple I have not seen mentioned yet. Don't expect a JohnR type review but I'll do my best.
post #727 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 11:33 AM

I also would like to thank JohnR for his great honest reviews. Many others have also provided some great reviews. I have bought so many concert dvds based entirely on this thread and I have never been disappointed. It is definitely the most accurate rating of concert dvds out there.

May this thread live forever! Cheers to everyone who posts here!

Bobby
post #728 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Gotta concur with ALL the above. I am a MAJOR DVD concert junkie! Is it me, or has there been very little new stuff in the past few months?

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #729 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ClickCardo
If you like the Allman Brothers buy their Guitar player's (warren haynes) band (Gov't mule) cd/dvd package. The DVD is 3 hours of a single concert at a small concert hall in New Orleans. Their bass player had died in the recent past and they had an all-star lineup of bass players, e.g. les claypool, roger glover, etc. as well as other special guests. Check it out and get 2 CD's of the concert also. The total concert lasted 5 and 1/2 hours!

Gov't Mule is one of my favorite bands. Anything with Warren is sure to please. ABB, Bonnaroo 2003 footage, Gov't Mule, Phil and Friends...

All I leave behind me is only what I found.
post #730 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh my...
The Germans get all the good stuff. I heard this was a good recording ( for 1981).

Look at the song list. And it ends with Emerald, perhaps the hardest rocking song ever

Thin Lizzy
Live At Rockpalast

DVD GERMANY 1981 PAL
The original 19 track DVD features one of the last concerts of thin lizzy'

TRACKS:
1 Are You Ready
2 Genocide
3 Waiting For An Alibi
4 Jailbreak
5 Trouble Boys
6 Don't Believe A Word
7 Memory Pain
8 Got To Give It Up
9 Chinatown
10 Hollywood
11 Cowboy Song
12 The Boys Are Back In Town
13 Suicide
14 Black Rose
15 Sugar Blues
16 Baby Drives Me Crazy
17 Rosalie
18 Desaster
19 Emerald

DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1, DOLBY DIGITAL STEREO. Approximate time: 112 minutes.

PAL SYSTEM. FULL SCREEN. ENGLISH AND GERMAN LANGUAGES

©1981 WDR - Westdeutscher Rundfunk Koln/2004 und Vertrieb durch Studio Hamburg Fernseh Allianz (FA) GmbH
post #731 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by eweiss
Everyone says STOP MAKING SENSE is the best concert DVD, bar none.
Is this true?

I would say its one of the best out there. Not just the quality of the DVD
but the show and musicianship as well. Definitely worth your time to look into.

I am the Night Rider! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! -- Night Rider from Mad Max

My DVD Collection
post #732 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 04:59 PM

I'am writing as I watch/listen to Roger Waters-In the Flesh. I must say the audio is fantastic...But, I just can't get around the corny stage presentation. His backup singers and most of his band are about as stiff as a stick...I will say I haven't watched all of the disk, but up to chapter 10, eeeegad...But, the music makes up for the presentation. Fantastic selection of music.

I also purchased Elton John-One Night Only. Wow, I could listen to that disk all day. I don't care much for some of the guest singers, but the remaining songs more than make up for this intrusion...DTS is just incredible.

One wall complete, lots to do...on my Home theater
post #733 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Is the "Bring on the Night" DVD mentioned above a film of the same concert that is on the 2 disc CD set? That CD is one of my favorite live perfomances and I was hoping that the sound and picture quality of the DVD matched the stellar musical performance of the CD set. Any thoughts?
post #734 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Iwanthd
Is the "Bring on the Night" DVD mentioned above a film of the same concert that is on the 2 disc CD set? That CD is one of my favorite live perfomances and I was hoping that the sound and picture quality of the DVD matched the stellar musical performance of the CD set. Any thoughts?

The music comes from the same tour. The music on the 2 CD set comes from different stops on the tour. The movie/documentary is limited (and that is not meant in a negative manner) to the rehersals leading up to the opening night of the tour and from the opening night itself. For example, "I Burn For You" on the CD is not the same performance, but equally as compelling as it is on the DVD.

You might, or might not, remember that the release of "Dream of the Blue Turtles" was a mjor deal in pop music in the mid 80's. It was Sting's first solo project just getting out of The Police and was on top of the pop music spectrum. There was a tremendous amount of worry that this pop-jazz fusion thing was going to be met negatively.

As we know it turned out great and had a good effect on the industry and on his career. If you love the CDs, I know that you will even more enjoy the DVD and seeing more of how he came to do this project.

The audio quality is very good, but the picture isn't great because it was shot on film in 1985, but it isn't bad either.
post #735 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 07:17 PM

Judas Priest - Electric Eye. Very good musically if you're a Priest fan.
This was recorded live in Dallas Tx. at Reunion Arena in 1986.
Video and Audio Quality is good . This was digitally remastered and has both a two channel and 5.1 track. Editing on the other hand sux. Again this concert was taped in Dallas I am from the Dallas Area so I know Reunion Arena. Either the editor was shall we say "on medication" or just wasn't paying attention or was just trying to use a bunch of filler in between songs because there is footage of a different stadium that pops up periodically in the crowd shots. If I am not mistaken it is an outdoor stadium or an indoor 'super dome' somewhere. Its definitely some place where football can be played. Reunion was strictly for basketball and ice hockey. That aside this is a pretty good disc. Tons of videos and taped TV spots are also included. And if you're from Dallas is its cool to hear the name of our fair city mentioned.

I am the Night Rider! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! -- Night Rider from Mad Max

My DVD Collection
post #736 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

petercw2,
Thanks for your comments, sounds like Sting will be getting a liitle more of my money!
post #737 of 9017 Old 04-29-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Prince "Sign O' The Times", Brazilian import, filmed in 1987. The packaging looks professional, and is in Dolby 5.1 and 2.0 audio, all the menus are in spanish, but easy to figure out.

First the bad: tHe sound quality is poor. This is disappointing since the rest of the production has high production values, and his performance is excellent. It not as good as FM radio. I'm thinking the top and the bottom of the audible spectrum are heavily compressed, the lows are muddy, and the highs are cut off. I played with my reciever, and made it almost passable by using soundfields.

I just watched the Canadian release and was blown away. The video has been remastered and the audio had to have a serious overhaul in comparison to the Brazilian import. It is one of the best recorded concerts I have listened to at home. I could not believe how "tight" the bass is on this disc. I've seen Prince live a couple of times and the sound is never as clean and clear as the DD 5.1 track on this disc.
post #738 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 04:22 AM

Where does one get a Canadian release of Sign O the Times? Isn't it supposed to get a US release sometime soon here?
post #739 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 05:33 AM

I am a big fan of the original Genesis and was wondering if anyone has seen any of the Steve Hackett dvd's, and if so, what is your opinion?
post #740 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by itsmeitsme
I am a big fan of the original Genesis and was wondering if anyone has seen any of the Steve Hackett dvd's, and if so, what is your opinion?

Tokyo Tapes is excellent. Great all-star band, lots of classic Genesis material, as well as King Crimson. Very good sound, OK picture. Plus bonus rehearsal footage that is a lot of fun.

Haven't seen the others that he has out but here's a link to Progressive Ears' reviews of them.

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #741 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bearhawk260
I'am writing as I watch/listen to Roger Waters-In the Flesh. I must say the audio is fantastic...But, I just can't get around the corny stage presentation. His backup singers and most of his band are about as stiff as a stick...I will say I haven't watched all of the disk, but up to chapter 10, eeeegad...But, the music makes up for the presentation. Fantastic selection of music.

Your just getting to the good stuff

This is like an "Amused To Death" concert tour, since there never was one.

I normally start this DVD at chapter 16, He puts more energy into his solo material, and they break out the electric blues guitar and the background singers also get some incredible solos. This is like an "Amused To Death" concert tour, since there never was one.

If your not familiar with his solo material ...its at least as good as Floyd and alot fresher musically, at least to someone like me who overplayed Pink Floyd growing up.

Also, the world view" themes are more current.

Hey I finally figured out where Snowy White came from. He replaced Gary Moore as Guitarist for Thin Lizzy. He did some of the writing for them, as well.
post #742 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FredProgGH
Tokyo Tapes is excellent. Great all-star band, lots of classic Genesis material, as well as King Crimson. Very good sound, OK picture. Plus bonus rehearsal footage that is a lot of fun.

Ill just add a few post-genesis DVDs to this list:

Peter Gabriel "Growing Up Live" which is superb in all areas, the stage show he puts on during the performance is worth the price of the DVD. The video and audio are all good. The material is also good, though he doesnt play all his hits, since its supporting a newer album.

Instrumentation is well done, but a little light for my tastes, he is more vocal based. You wont see alot of virtuoso playing here, but what you see is quality.

I also understand that his other concert DVDs are excellent, he takes his concert DVDs serious and it shows.

------------------------

King Crimson: Deja Vroom (1998) was one of my first concert DVDs, but it was a tad disappointing.

I love the material on this DVD, has Elephant talk, and all the cool stuff from that era, but the video is mediocre, and on my Panasonic RPTV, looked horrible, the blues were overdriven and it bled all over the image.
Cant remember the audio being that great, though it wasnt bad.

----------------------------------

Phil plays Drums on "Eric Clapton and Friends Live 1986 ", which is an excellent vintage concert DVD, as far as audio and video.

The performance is also good, Phil is an excellent drummer.

I was not completely blown away by the synergy of the band, and the songs were performed a bit too precisely.... I would have loved Eric and the other players to just go nuts on a few songs with solos and such, but that wasn't to be.

They don't perform any Genesis, just Phil's in the Air"hit, and 7 Eric Clapton tunes ( Crossroads, Layla, Sunshine of my love, White Room, etc)
post #743 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Splashman24
I just watched the Canadian release and was blown away. The video has been remastered and the audio had to have a serious overhaul in comparison to the Brazilian import. It is one of the best recorded concerts I have listened to at home. I could not believe how "tight" the bass is on this disc. I've seen Prince live a couple of times and the sound is never as clean and clear as the DD 5.1 track on this disc.

I'll second this, the Canadian release is awesome, they must have rehearsed this show for a year, the choreography is amazing.
post #744 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

JohnR,

Damn, John, I just saw your new 'head shot' and - how can I say this gracefully - you've really aged in the last week or so!! Maybe you should spend a little less time watching these concert videos. You know, get outside and enjoy the sun here in L.A. Or maybe at least turn the volume down a bit??

htomei

but I digress......
post #745 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been enjoying the sun, cant ya tell?

thats the Farmer/Priest in Napoleon Dynamite, I have to change it back, since its apparently against policy
post #746 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 03:10 PM

[quote]Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
[b]Your just getting to the good stuff

I watched almost all of this DVD and your correct, the band is a bit more "human." Even with this issue, its not an issue, the music and sound are great.

I guess this means a few more concert DVD in my future...

One question, the Elton John-one night only I purchased is in all white with an older picture of Elton on the front. the other DVD covers I saw has a current picture of Elton with raised hands in the concert setting. Differences???When looking on-line all content is the same.

I'm batting 2 for 2 with In the Flesh and One Night Only.

One wall complete, lots to do...on my Home theater
post #747 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by ClickCardo

ClickCardo
Thanks a lot for this tip. I second his nomination. I have been meaning to pick up some 'Mule" music for a while, and after I read your comments I picked up a copy of this one. Boy, this is sure an outstanding show, and it has a great DVD too. I am not through all of the package yet but each song gets better than the one before. These guys kick some serious A$$. Video on the DVD is OK, but the audio is really the reason to buy. Personally I prefer he stereo version to the 5.1, mostly because I am not too thrilled about the way they use the speakers for effect in the back, but that is a small nit. I recommend this package highly for the music content.

What a great thread! HT's are great for movies, but my theory is still that god created HT for concert DVD's.

John M
post #748 of 9017 Old 04-30-2005, 07:38 PM

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Elvis Costello at the Hard Rock in Vegas a month or so ago and his new concert DVD (Live in Memphis) recreates the sound and feel of that show with a slightly different song lineup. The group rarely stops between songs, full bore rock and roll. Highly recomended (16:9, shot with high-def cameras, 5.1 Dolby & DTS sound). Emmylou stops by and they morph into a C&W bar band for three songs.

Also, if there are any country-rock fans out there, the Gram Parsons tribute DVD (Return to Sin City) seems to be very well done (16:9, Dolby 5.1 & DTS also). I've only given it a cursory listen so far but the list of performers is impressive (Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Dwight Yoakam, etc.)
post #749 of 9017 Old 05-01-2005, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
I

King Crimson: Deja Vroom (1998) was one of my first concert DVDs, but it was a tad disappointing.

I love the material on this DVD, has Elephant talk, and all the cool stuff from that era, but the video is mediocre, and on my Panasonic RPTV, looked horrible, the blues were overdriven and it bled all over the image.
Cant remember the audio being that great, though it wasnt bad.

Well, for whatever reason, Deja Vroom was designed to look florescent and blown out. At least, on my system anyway, it looked like a decently good representation of an artisitic choice; you may be seeing something else though. I admit I haven't looked at it critically in quite some time. The sound is pretty nice and the show is the best I've seen on video for KC. The menu navigation is a freakin' nightmare though. You'll want to throw the disk out the window just trying to select DD or DTS. Robert Fripp doesn't want anything to come easy to you, the fan

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #750 of 9017 Old 05-01-2005, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yesterday the weather was pretty ugly so I spent much of the day watching three concerts that I picked up a few months ago.

No. 1 was Los Lonely Boys "Texican Style: Live From Austin" which is full of energy and some great guitar work. Sound and picture quality are better than most but it's the performance that will draw you in. Not too many 3 member bands that can rock the way these guys do on this disc.

Next up was Dave Mathews Band's "The Central Park Concert." This is a big budget production with great sound quality, and the camera work is some of the best I've seen, with panoramic shots of New York City and the massive crowd from a helicopter up above, plus steady views of the individual band members doing their thing. Unfortunately I always find myself skipping through many of the songs on this one, because although done very well technically I'm not fond of about half the songs themselves. Others are great so this one's sort of a mixed bag for me. There aren't too many DVD concerts out there though that are better done from a technical point of view.

Last up was an old favorite of mine, Eric Clapton's "One More Car, One More Rider." This has been discussed several times here previously, but I always enjoy watching this one from start to finish. Great sound quality, great song selection (probably my favorite style of music) and great muscianship all combine for great entertainment, at least for me.

A few that I did not watch yesterday that I would recommend, as others in this thread have above, include:

1. Boz Scaggs - "Greatest Hits Live" (intimate, a little mellow but very good sound and I like the music a lot).
2. Eagles - "Hell Freezes Over" (still perhaps the best recorded of any out there)
3. "Music For Montserrat" featuring Paul McCartney, Phil Collins, Clapton, Sting, Mark Knofler & others (great variety and some very excellent performances, but too much talking in between artists - you will use your fast forward button after the first viewing)
4. Alison Krauss & Union Station - "Live" (excellent bluegrass performance, one of my very favorites)
5. Bela Fleck & The Fleckstones - "Live At The Quick" (GREAT musicianship & sound quality, but don't buy if you won't ever appreciate bluegrass)
6. Diana Krall - "Live in Paris" (same comment as No. 5, but substitute "jazz" for "bluegrass"
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page