Concert dvd recommendations - Page 302 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #9031 of 9057 Old 11-19-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The state of new concert releases is pathetic.Amazon hot new releases in this category used to boast 100 items and its now down to 53 with 65% classical orchestra releases.
Lawler1 likes this.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 9057 Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
The state of new concert releases is pathetic.Amazon hot new releases in this category used to boast 100 items and its now down to 53 with 65% classical orchestra releases.

I agree 100%. You would think more bands would release concert DVDs.

Weird is I can find more smaller lesser known band concert releases then the more well known bands, maybe the copyright stuff makes it more a hassle then it worth.
post #9033 of 9057 Old 11-28-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm wondering if the concert releases don't adversely impact ticket sales to live concerts, and if that may have something to do with it.
post #9034 of 9057 Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I need to order some blu-ray discs for my new Sammy 8550

What are your recommendations for music or otherwise?

TV Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA TS02, X-10 lighting, IR543 Powerhouse Command Ce
AVR Yamaha TSR-6750WA
BR Player Sony S6200
STB Dish 211K
SPEAKERS JM lab speakers
REMOTE CONTROL Harmony Ultimate remote
post #9035 of 9057 Old 12-01-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Big thumbs up for the new Jeff Beck Live in Tokyo Blu-Ray.

The song selection is outstanding.
The playing is exceptional
The sound is among the best I own.
I haven't watched in my projector yet so I can't comment on the video.
mattg3, 4WR and CaptMike like this.
post #9036 of 9057 Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 PM

Liked: 10
There are some concerts contained in CD packages that may have been overlooked. They are not Blu-Ray and sound quality is usually pretty good. The ones I have picked up are:

Arc Angels: Living In A Dream
Joe Bonnamassa: So, It's Like That
Eric Gales: Live
Stoney Curtis Band: Live
Fleetwood Mac: Live In Boston
Steve Miller Band: Fly Like An Eagle, 30 Anniversary Edition
Drive By Truckers: English Oceans, Deluxe Edition
U2: Under A Blood Red Sky, Deluxe Edition
Joanne Shaw Taylor: Songs From The Road
post #9037 of 9057 Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM

There are some concerts contained in CD packages that may have been overlooked. They are not Blu-Ray and sound quality is usually pretty good. The ones I have picked up are:

post #9038 of 9057 Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frcnorth View Post

I'm not really understanding your inclusion of Joe Bonamassa 's album, I'm the utmost fan of his but, while there are many of his concert videos available, that's not one of them. Search Amazon and there are pretty much anything one could want. I just saw him last night in Greenville South Carolina, pretty freaking awesome. ...Look at his Live In London series if you want some really good concert blu rays.
post #9039 of 9057 Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
And yes, that is he in my avatar. ..
post #9040 of 9057 Old 12-10-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
I'm not really understanding your inclusion of Joe Bonamassa 's album, I'm the utmost fan of his but, while there are many of his concert videos available, that's not one of them. Search Amazon and there are pretty much anything one could want. I just saw him last night in Greenville South Carolina, pretty freaking awesome. ...Look at his Live In London series if you want some really good concert blu rays.
Actually if you bought his cd when it first came out it came with a dvd of a killer concert. Joe has now made that concert dvd available seperately on his website called A New Day Yesterday. I think that was the one the previous poster was talking about. I have everything he has put out and still prefer the original 3 piece Live at Rockpalast show. It's rockin' in your face and the audio/video are stellar.
post #9041 of 9057 Old 12-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by frcnorth View Post

I'm a big Arc Angels fan and thought about picking this up for the DVD live concert ........ how is the quality?
post #9042 of 9057 Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 PM

It has both stereo and 5.1 mixes and the sound quality is pretty good. From a video standpoint it is more like a very high quality home movie than a professionally shot video. It's very watchable because it doesn't try to be tricky or artsy. Just a fine chronicle of a show in front of adoring fans. It's them, the original group, and they're in fine form. The concert last 75 minutes and it contains most of their classic tunes. For us fans, it's a must have.

I was fortunate to see them at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz shortly after the original album came out. They tore it up that night as well.
post #9043 of 9057 Old 12-12-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I'm a big Arc Angels fan and thought about picking this up for the DVD live concert ........ how is the quality?
The audio is okay the video is pretty bad. Part of it has to do that there was a torrential rain storm during the filming plus I don't think they were highly professional film makers. Part of it is filmed at an indoor event if I remember and that part looks a little better. But considering this is about the only DVD concert of the band it is what it is, I'd wish they would do another one that is of better quality.

If you like that type of Austin sound pick this up….

Live at Antones
by Storyville

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/storyvillerock

This triple disc package (two CDs & DVD) of Austin's premier Rock and Blues band featuring David Grissom and David Holt on guitars, The Double Trouble Rhythm section of Chris Layton & Tommy Shannon and the soulful vocals of Malford Milligan.
post #9044 of 9057 Old 01-13-2015, 05:25 AM

Liked: 59
Probably pick up Shania Twain's concert from Caesars Palace on BD, due out next month from Eagle Rock.

My BD concerts: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=196379
post #9045 of 9057 Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

URIAH HEEP: 'Live At Koko, London 2014'
February 24, 2015

01. Against The Odds
02. Overload
03. Traveller In Time
04. Sunrise
05. Stealin'
06. I'm Ready
07. Between Two Worlds
08. Can't Take That Away
09. One Minute
10. Nail On The Head
11. Into The Wild
12. Gypsy
13. Look At Yourself
14. Box Wah Box
15. July Morning
16. Lady In Black
17. Free 'N' Easy
18. Easy Livin'

post #9046 of 9057 Old 01-13-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

UFO - Showtime (Bluray)

Releae date: January 20, 2015

I have this on DVD and it is great, first time released for bluray.

Live Concert Wilhelmshaven Pumpwerk, Germany May 13th 2005
1. Intro
2. Mother Mary
3. When Daylight Goes To Town
4. Let It Roll
5. Out On The Streets
6. This Kidds
7. The Wild One
8. Fighting Man
9. Only You Can Rock Me
10. Baby Blue
11. Mr. Freeze
12. Love To Love
13. Too Hot Too Handle
14. Lights Out
15. Rock Bottom
16. Doctor Doctor
17. Shoot Shoot

Peppermint Park Studio Session, May 26th 2005:
1. Pack it up and go
2. Try me
3. Love to love
4. Slipping away
5. Cherry
6. Profession of violence
post #9047 of 9057 Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Don't know how many jazz fans there are on this thread, but the new Blu-ray release of Diana Krall Live in Paris is great. I've had the DVD for a long time and was miffed that her Rio concert made it to Blu-ray a while ago but not Paris.

But they didn't forget Paris (sorry, couldn't resist). Although the original was shot in standard definition, they've managed to upscale it impressivly for Blu-ray. I bought the Blu-ray as a gamble - it's the first disk I've seen labeled on its cover "SD Blu-ray" - but it was a gamble that paid off.

I just watched it and fell in love with that concert all over again. Diana Krall's piano playing and Anthony Wilson's guitar solos are stellar - and the excitement of the band members about the quality of each others' playing is written on their faces. The core quartet (piano, bass, drums, and guitar) was put together for the trip to Paris and had only been playing togther for 4 days - but became her regular group for her next several records (and on the Rio disk). It's a shame that she's been pigeon-holed as a singer, since she's a great jazz pianist, with very inventive solos, and accompanies her sideman's solos - which she's very generous about letting last several choruses - very tastefully.

The Blu-ray's image quality is several steps up from the DVD - and I'm watching it projected 9 1/2 feet wide. It's hard to believe that this is an upscaling job, since my Oppo BDP-93 and Panasonic PT-AE2000U have always upscaled to 1080 well, but not like this. I didn't realize how much sharper this was until I put the DVD in afterwards. They must have done this sharpening frame-by-frame to avoid artifacts.

Sure, the hand-held home movie footage around Paris looks grainy either way (if you want nice travel footage, stay with the Rio disk's scenic footage shot in HD), but the concert closeups of faces and instruments on the Blu-ray are satisfyingly sharp, while the same shots on the DVD look obviously soft by comparison. In fact, the footage of the other musicians looks better than on the Rio disk.

The sound is clearer than the DVD as well. The Blu-ray's DTS 5.1 Master Audio track has more high-end and dynamic range even than the DTS 5.1 track on the DVD. (There's also an LPCM stereo track.)

If you like jazz, get this disk!

Last edited by Philnick; 01-13-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #9048 of 9057 Old 01-14-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Don't know how many jazz fans there are on this thread, but the new Blu-ray release of Diana Krall Live in Paris is great. I've had the DVD for a long time and was miffed that her Rio concert made it to Blu-ray a while ago but not Paris.

But they didn't forget Paris (sorry, couldn't resist). Although the original was shot in standard definition, they've managed to upscale it impressivly for Blu-ray. I bought the Blu-ray as a gamble - it's the first disk I've seen labeled on its cover "SD Blu-ray" - but it was a gamble that paid off.

I just watched it and fell in love with that concert all over again. Diana Krall's piano playing and Anthony Wilson's guitar solos are stellar - and the excitement of the band members about the quality of each others' playing is written on their faces. The core quartet (piano, bass, drums, and guitar) was put together for the trip to Paris and had only been playing togther for 4 days - but became her regular group for her next several records (and on the Rio disk). It's a shame that she's been pigeon-holed as a singer, since she's a great jazz pianist, with very inventive solos, and accompanies her sideman's solos - which she's very generous about letting last several choruses - very tastefully.

The Blu-ray's image quality is several steps up from the DVD - and I'm watching it projected 9 1/2 feet wide. It's hard to believe that this is an upscaling job, since my Oppo BDP-93 and Panasonic PT-AE2000U have always upscaled to 1080 well, but not like this. I didn't realize how much sharper this was until I put the DVD in afterwards. They must have done this sharpening frame-by-frame to avoid artifacts.

Sure, the hand-held home movie footage around Paris looks grainy either way (if you want nice travel footage, stay with the Rio disk's scenic footage shot in HD), but the concert closeups of faces and instruments on the Blu-ray are satisfyingly sharp, while the same shots on the DVD look obviously soft by comparison. In fact, the footage of the other musicians looks better than on the Rio disk.

The sound is clearer than the DVD as well. The Blu-ray's DTS 5.1 Master Audio track has more high-end and dynamic range even than the DTS 5.1 track on the DVD. (There's also an LPCM stereo track.)

If you like jazz, get this disk!
Thanks for posting Phil, I have the Rio one, but as I recall I found the LFE part of the audio a bit too cranked up for my taste... is this SD disc from Eagle Rock? They've put out a few of these SD blu rays over the last year or two, such as:

The Scorpions - Moment Of Glory
Live In Iceland - Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
The Bee Gees - One Night Only

...perhaps a couple more.

Bill
post #9049 of 9057 Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Thanks for posting Phil, I have the Rio one, but as I recall I found the LFE part of the audio a bit too cranked up for my taste... is this SD disc from Eagle Rock? They've put out a few of these SD blu rays over the last year or two, such as:

The Scorpions - Moment Of Glory
Live In Iceland - Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
The Bee Gees - One Night Only

...perhaps a couple more.

Bill
Yes, it is from Eagle Rock, which puts out lots of Montreux Jazz Festival disks as well - and their Blu-rays are light-years ahead of their older DVDs.

I didn't notice any excess of bass on this disk - the sound was beautifully layered.

post #9050 of 9057 Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is from Eagle Rock, which puts out lots of Montreux Jazz Festival disks as well - and their Blu-rays are light-years ahead of their older DVDs.

I didn't notice any excess of bass on this disk - the sound was beautifully layered.
That could be me and/or my set up. I haven't played that one for awhile, I should take another listen. I lost count of all the BDs I have from Montreux, Jethro Tull from 2003 still being one of my favourites for audio and video prowess. I don't recall any of the Montreux ones being from anyone but Eagle Rock, thinking they have a contract with the powers that be there.
post #9051 of 9057 Old 01-14-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
I need to order some blu-ray discs for my new Sammy 8550

What are your recommendations for music or otherwise?
I'd recommend looking at the "Soundstage" production ones. I have a few of these and they are outstanding. The principal goal is to get the bands into a controlled environment, with a small token audience, and go for maximum audio and video quality. Some examples are America Live in Chicago and Soundstage Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
Tornado Red likes this.

Last edited by pdoherty972; 01-15-2015 at 09:08 PM.
post #9052 of 9057 Old 01-14-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
I'd recommend looking at the "Soundstage" production ones. I have a few of these and they are outstanding. The principle goal is to get the bands into a controlled environment, with a small token audience, and go for maximum audio and video quality. Some examples are America Live in Chicago and Soundstage Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
Great call. Love the America Soundstage BD.
post #9053 of 9057 Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Best of Newport Jazz Festival
post #9054 of 9057 Unread Today, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I would love to pick up this Blu-ray. I checked on Amazon and they state the disk won't play in North America. Where did you get your copy of the disk?
post #9055 of 9057 Unread Today, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeads View Post
I would love to pick up this Blu-ray. I checked on Amazon and they state the disk won't play in North America. Where did you get your copy of the disk?
I have the DVD and would be interested in getting the "SD Blu-ray" as well.
post #9056 of 9057 Unread Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I have concluded that I will not be considering any BR disks that are not 1.66:1-1.85:1

TV Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA TS02, X-10 lighting, IR543 Powerhouse Command Ce
AVR Yamaha TSR-6750WA
BR Player Sony S6200
STB Dish 211K
SPEAKERS JM lab speakers
REMOTE CONTROL Harmony Ultimate remote
post #9057 of 9057 Unread Today, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you have a 3d and are a metallica fan, I will strong,y suggest Metallica Thru The Never. Its not boring my any means and I bet even if you arent into Metallica the stage show and the 3d immersion will thrill you.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page