Concert dvd recommendations - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #9121 of 9150 Old 11-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I wish a real band like Budos Band would do a movie. All the stuff here is just pop music (even if you disagree with my definition of "popular" music meaning that it is popular, not necessarily good).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9150 Old 12-16-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Roger Waters - The Wall

I've gone through both blu rays that came with this package, here's my take: The concert itself is very well done. Video is mostly excellent (shot with the Red One camera I believe) and with the audio being Dolby Atmos, I listened in 7.1 Dolby TrueHD (7.2 at my house). I think this is only the 3rd concert i have in 7.1. I'm not sure how discrete the music is in the surrounds, but the sound effects are certainly set up for 7.1, very nice. The LFE is off the charts good. So no complaints with the audio/video. Having said that, the constant listening to Roger between songs as he drives around I found very annoying and distracts from the concert heavily. The last 3 of 4 blu ray concerts I purchased are like this, including Mannheim Steamroller and Lenny Kravitz. I don't mind the interviews etc, but I'd rather they be an entity unto themselves on a separate part of the disc. It really disrupts any flow the concerts have, IMO. Because of that, these will not be in a regular rotation at my place. As much as I enjoyed the music on The Wall, at well over 2 hours I was glad when it ended. YMMV, as always A word about the 2nd BRD, the whole thing is in DD stereo only....which includes the 2 songs with David Gilmour at the O2, unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1123658  
post #9123 of 9150 Old 12-16-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Roger Waters - The Wall
Having said that, the constant listening to Roger between songs as he drives around I found very annoying and distracts from the concert heavily. The last 3 of 4 blu ray concerts I purchased are like this, including Mannheim Steamroller and Lenny Kravitz. I don't mind the interviews etc, but I'd rather they be an entity unto themselves on a separate part of the disc. It really disrupts any flow the concerts have, IMO. Because of that, these will not be in a regular rotation at my place. As much as I enjoyed the music on The Wall, at well over 2 hours I was glad when it ended. YMMV, as always A word about the 2nd BRD, the whole thing is in DD stereo only....which includes the 2 songs with David Gilmour at the O2, unfortunately.
It seems producers/directors are like politicians in that they absolutely do not listen to their customers/constituents. I don't know anyone that likes that format yet it has been done over and over again. I was on the fence about this one and your review pushed me firmly onto the "No" side. Thanks for letting us know.
Tornado Red likes this.

Steve
post #9124 of 9150 Old 12-27-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3 Doors Down DVD

It's a great DVD audio. I believe it came with a Super Audio CD as well.
post #9125 of 9150 Old 12-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Fleetwood Mac

There is a Fleetwood Mac I would add as well. Good tracks and I believe it's DD 5.1.
post #9126 of 9150 Old 12-27-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadnec View Post
There is a Fleetwood Mac I would add as well. Good tracks and I believe it's DD 5.1.
Care to say which one?

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #9127 of 9150 Old 12-27-2015, 07:33 PM

I think it was called Rumours. It was a DVD Audio disc. I'll see if I can locate it.
post #9128 of 9150 Old 12-27-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadnec View Post
I think it was called Rumours. It was a DVD Audio disc. I'll see if I can locate it.
Thanks, but don't bother. I have it, and it's excellent.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #9129 of 9150 Old 12-28-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post
Thanks, but don't bother. I have it, and it's excellent.
I've got it as well, and yes, it is excellent!

Bobby 

post #9130 of 9150 Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Could anyone tell me what is the best Elton John concert dvd available in terms of picture quality,content and sound?

Matt
post #9131 of 9150 Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Could anyone tell me what is the best Elton John concert dvd available in terms of picture quality,content and sound?
I'd have to say Elton 60...

http://www.amazon.com/Elton-John-Mad...words=elton+60
mattg3 likes this.

Bobby 

post #9132 of 9150 Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wish I could help, but I don't have any all EJ concerts. I do have the DVD-A of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and the SACD of "Madman Across the River" and they are both excellent. But as far as anything of him on video, all I have is the DVD concert of "Music for Montserrat" where he's one of about eight other artists (including Phil Collins, Jimmy Buffett, Mark Knoffler, Sting, Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney). Elton John's three songs are simply marvelous and worth the price of the disc alone. Recorded in DTS Surround (or Dolby Digital) and sounds great considering how long ago it was recorded (1997).

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83

Last edited by JBaumgart; 01-18-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #9133 of 9150 Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I have both Elton 60 and The Red Piano. I like them both but if I had to pick one, it would be 60.
post #9134 of 9150 Old 01-19-2016, 02:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yep, definitely EJ's 60 Bluray.

On a different note: Has anyone here watched Taylor Swift's 1989 World Tour Live on iTunes? Excellent concert! Even with the interviews in between songs. She is beautiful and talented. I look forward to the Blu-ray release with HD audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve
post #9135 of 9150 Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The news of Glenn Frey was hard to hear yesterday. I grew up wearing out their music and every band I was in played at least a handful of their songs. However, it's the repeated watchings of "HFO" and "Farewell" that made the band really personal to me. Farewell Mr. Fry. Your genius will live on for generations.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #9136 of 9150 Old 01-19-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
The news of Glenn Frey was hard to hear yesterday. I grew up wearing out their music and every band I was in played at least a handful of their songs. However, it's the repeated watchings of "HFO" and "Farewell" that made the band really personal to me. Farewell Mr. Fry. Your genius will live on for generations.
He will most definitely be missed. HFO is one of the best Concert Discs out there.
post #9137 of 9150 Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post
He will most definitely be missed. HFO is one of the best Concert Discs out there.
As I recall it was the first, or one of the very first, DVD concerts released in DTS, and they made doubly sure to do it right.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #9138 of 9150 Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
As I recall it was the first, or one of the very first, DVD concerts released in DTS, and they made doubly sure to do it right.
That was very sad news about Glen's passing, he will be sorely missed!

The Farewell from Melbourne bluray is stunning, visually and sonically...one of my faves!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #9139 of 9150 Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Perplexing Blu-Ray issue..

I purchased LCD Soundsystem's Blu-Ray "Shut up and Play the Hits" and have an issue I cannot figure out. It is recorded in DTS-HD Master, of which I have several discs in the same format, but the center channel is COMPLETELY silent during the concert. When the band is talking backstage, dialogue comes out the center as it should. As soon as the concert starts, complete silence on the center channel. I have checked and replaced the HDMI connections and cables, ran "pink noise" through all channels to confirm they are working, tested things out with my other DTS Mastered discs, the signal input showing from my Marantz processor (complete system below) shows all channel active. I even thought I had gotten a defective disc from Amazon so ordered a replacement. Same thing is happening. This Blu-Ray has literally hundreds of great reviews on Amazon and not one says anything about zero sound coming from the center channel. I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestion cuz I am stumped! And frustrated...

Marantz 7702MKII Processor
B & K 200.7 Amp and Emotiva XPA-3 Amp
Oppo 103 BDP-Blu-Ray, Monster 5100MKII Power Cond.
Def-Tech Mythos St-L Towers L+R, Def-Tech CD8080-HD Center, Def-Tech SR8080-BP Surrounds (4)
Seaton Submersive F2+ and F2 Slave Subs
post #9140 of 9150 Old 02-04-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Either a defective disc or choice by the band.Your system sounds like its in perfect shape.

Matt
post #9141 of 9150 Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASOFO View Post
I purchased LCD Soundsystem's Blu-Ray "Shut up and Play the Hits" and have an issue I cannot figure out. It is recorded in DTS-HD Master, of which I have several discs in the same format, but the center channel is COMPLETELY silent during the concert. When the band is talking backstage, dialogue comes out the center as it should. As soon as the concert starts, complete silence on the center channel. I have checked and replaced the HDMI connections and cables, ran "pink noise" through all channels to confirm they are working, tested things out with my other DTS Mastered discs, the signal input showing from my Marantz processor (complete system below) shows all channel active. I even thought I had gotten a defective disc from Amazon so ordered a replacement. Same thing is happening. This Blu-Ray has literally hundreds of great reviews on Amazon and not one says anything about zero sound coming from the center channel. I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestion cuz I am stumped! And frustrated...
I have seen at least one other disc without a center channel. Just how they decided to mix it for the disc I guess.
post #9142 of 9150 Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I listened to it a bit on Amazon Prime today. Center channel was not there but my sub was cookin'.....

Bobby 

post #9143 of 9150 Old 02-05-2016, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I have seen at least one other disc without a center channel. Just how they decided to mix it for the disc I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I listened to it a bit on Amazon Prime today. Center channel was not there but my sub was cookin'.....
Thanks for getting back to me guys. Much appreciated. I can 2nd the sub cookin'! Especially on "Daft Punk is Playin in my House!"...and all my furniture...is in the garage!!! Drove me entire family and any small rodents out of "MY HOUSE, MY HOUSE!"
mattg3 likes this.

Marantz 7702MKII Processor
B & K 200.7 Amp and Emotiva XPA-3 Amp
Oppo 103 BDP-Blu-Ray, Monster 5100MKII Power Cond.
Def-Tech Mythos St-L Towers L+R, Def-Tech CD8080-HD Center, Def-Tech SR8080-BP Surrounds (4)
Seaton Submersive F2+ and F2 Slave Subs
post #9144 of 9150 Old 02-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASOFO View Post
Another one is Shania Twain's Las Vegas show on blu ray. Excellent sound, DTS-HD Master 5.1 with a completely dead centre channel. I didn't even know until I read it in a forum one day, and sure enough no centre. Guess it's easy enough to miss if the front stage is mixed right to create a pseudo centre and one is not sitting too close to the centre speaker. As to why, no idea. Actually, I may have other BD concerts like this and am completely unaware. Ah well, ignorance is bliss
KASOFO likes this.
post #9145 of 9150 Old 02-24-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Going against the grain of normal tastes I'd say the following
Darzamat - Live Profanity listen at risk to your hearing and sensibilities heh
Kamelot - One Cold Winter's Night (one of the best live performance dvd's I've seen
Epica - We Will Take You With Us ( live in the recording studio with full backup choir and string section)
Blackmore's Night (just fun to see Ritchie Blackmore cranking out diff style of music)
Within Temptation - Black Symphony ( with Metropole Symphony)
John Fogerty - The Long Road Home in Concert ( he still has it)
The Blasters - Going Home (nuff said, it's the blasters!)
mattg3 likes this.
post #9146 of 9150 Old 03-08-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Coldplay: Live is
post #9147 of 9150 Old 03-09-2016, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Cool

Quote:
Wish I could help, but I don't have any all EJ concerts. I do have the DVD-A of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and the SACD of "Madman Across the River" and they are both excellent. But as far as anything of him on video, all I have is the DVD concert of "Music for Montserrat" where he's one of about eight other artists (including Phil Collins, Jimmy Buffett, Mark Knoffler, Sting, Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney). Elton John's three songs are simply marvelous and worth the price of the disc alone. Recorded in DTS Surround (or Dolby Digital) and sounds great considering how long ago it was recorded (1997).
Quote:
I have both Elton 60 and The Red Piano. I like them both but if I had to pick one, it would be 60.

Hi Gents,

I was walking by a Sony Store in the local Mall in about 1998 when I saw Music for Montserrat on a large screen (for then) TV. I was intrigued and went in and was blown away by this concert disk. The whole thing is full of amazing performances. It took me ages to find it for sale as the market here for concert disks is small. (and getting smaller it seems ) But the Music for Montserrat got me hooked on Concert DVDs (and eventually Blue Ray). My focus is always sound first, and video quality much later. (I find if the sound is not good, it doesn't matter about the video.)

I've been an Elton John Fan since he first started and have seen him live about 5 times, and own 3 concert disks. The problem I have with them, is the more recent the disk, the better the recording quality is, but his voice is not anywhere near what it was earlier. So it's a trade off.

I have about 200 Concert disks (probably more - I stopped counting so my wife would stop asking...), and until I got a new Receiver that could play DTS HD and Dolby HD Blue Rays, my favorite DVDs were Eagles -Hell Freezes Over, Fleetwood Mac, and Eric Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider. Of course my taste in music probably colors my choices, but the audio recording is fabulous on each, as are the production values. (I've seen all 3 perform live) The Eagles disk in particular blew me away the first time I heard the Hotel California opening number. Just an amazing production for it's time.

I wish my local stores were carrying more concert disks but like CDs, they too are fading away...

Regards,

Jim
post #9148 of 9150 Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes they are fading away.I have been buying up as many used concerts on both amazon and amazon UK for great prices so I can have a full collection before they disappear.Nothing new in the pipeline which is very frustrating.
Tornado Red likes this.

Matt
post #9149 of 9150 Old 03-09-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes they are fading away.I have been buying up as many used concerts on both amazon and amazon UK for great prices so I can have a full collection before they disappear.Nothing new in the pipeline which is very frustrating.
Yes it is frustrating! The music industry missed the boat IMO. I generally don't buy movies, I rent them since most of the time, I watch them once and then that is it. With concerts, I buy them and watch over and over.
mattg3, JBaumgart and Tornado Red like this.
post #9150 of 9150 Old 03-14-2016, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just acquired Rammstein - In Amerika: Live at Madison Square garden, as well as Pink Floyd's live at Pompeii. I'm excited to watch both this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page