Concert dvd recommendations - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #9151 of 9174 Old 05-21-2016, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hey guys, check out Hastings Music here in Texas http://www.gohastings.com/ they have 180gr. vinyl albums, Blu-ray concerts. I live here just north of Houston and if they don't have it they will order it.

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9174 Old 05-21-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Wonder if we will see 4K concerts released in the future?The blu ray,dvd concert market has just about bottomed out.

Matt
post #9153 of 9174 Old 06-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Wonder if we will see 4K concerts released in the future?The blu ray,dvd concert market has just about bottomed out.
That will be interesting to see if there will be 4K concert releases down the road, I would think yes. The Muse concert in Rome was shot in 4K, perhaps it will released in that someday. I notice Dolby Atmos sound tracks starting to creep into concert releases, Roger Water's The Wall and the just released Imagine Dragons Smoke + Mirrors come to mind.
mattg3 likes this.
post #9154 of 9174 Old 06-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 331
U2 Innocence just came out on Blu, supposed to have it tomorrow. I was surprised it wasnt in Atmos being that the sound system is suspended. Ill let you know how it sounds.
primetimeguy likes this.
post #9155 of 9174 Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

I have to see this is a good buy if your a fan. The video was such that you felt like you were there, and the audio was just as good. Roger Waters The Wall Blu is somewhat suspect at times whether its live or not. This not the case and it sounds good, I judge everything on the top end to Through the Never and this was good just not that good. Some ramblings by Bono, which normally I dislike but considering the circumstances Im able to look past it. Eagles Of Death Metal do 2 songs at the end which I thought was pretty cool of U2 to do.

Id buy again
mattg3 and Tornado Red like this.
post #9156 of 9174 Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Delicate Sound of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by teknoguy

Ah! And therein lies the rub..." A well produced Blu-ray concert." Actually, a well-produced any-format concert is what I like. The Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds DVD is wonderful in SD form. Heard and saw it on BR and wasn't as impressed as seeing it on the my upconverting SD-DVD box the first time. I can't justify the video/audio upgrade for what I saw as a slight improvement. I'm not saying that the technology isn't any good!!! All I'm saying is that no matter the technology, if it isn't mixed/produced well, it doesn't matter what technology is used to reproduce it. "Garbage in - Garbage out Rule"

-t

I still have some VHS and LD concerts that I watch from time to time because they have not and probably never will, see the light of day on another format.

Like 'Delicate Sound of Thunder.'

I realize this is a very old post, but ran across it during a search. Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD or Blu-Ray of Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder concert (audio + video)?

A number of years ago I bought a "DVD" of this on ebay and was very disappointed. At that time I did not realize this concert had never been officially released on DVD, at least in the US, and what I had purchased was a poor quality copy although in a format supported by my current system.

Had a trigger event last weekend with old friends that resurrected memories of how great we all thought this concert was, and I am wondering if there is any DVD / Blu-Ray version that is worth watching.

Thanks
Bruce
post #9157 of 9174 Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

ive bought 2 items from this seller with no issues. This was my first Floyd concert so Im with you. Id ask about the transfer quality, this was widely bootlegged and was never officially released on anything other than vhs ,confirm it will work with your player. Im so over the top about Waters The Wall nothing else would even slightly amuse me. My thoughts its probably meh, but you cant put a price on nostalgia GL

http://www.maximumsound.org/Pink-Flo...VD_p_2406.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
I realize this is a very old post, but ran across it during a search. Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD or Blu-Ray of Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder concert (audio + video)?

A number of years ago I bought a "DVD" of this on ebay and was very disappointed. At that time I did not realize this concert had never been officially released on DVD, at least in the US, and what I had purchased was a poor quality copy although in a format supported by my current system.

Had a trigger event last weekend with old friends that resurrected memories of how great we all thought this concert was, and I am wondering if there is any DVD / Blu-Ray version that is worth watching.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by Gorilla Killa; 06-23-2016 at 03:40 AM.
post #9158 of 9174 Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Some of my favorite concerts on bluray are:
Nine Inch Nails - Beside you in time
Depeche mode - Tour of the universe
Korn - Live at Montreaux
Korn - The path of Totality tour Live at the Hollywood Palladium
Motley Crue - Carnival of sins
Def Leppard - Viva Hysteria
Metallica - Quebec Magnetic
Rammstein - In Amerika
The Cure - Trilogy
Linkin park - Road to revolution Live at Milton Keynes
Staind- Live at the Mohegan Sun

This one isn't on bluray but still amazing vocals and picture quality for it's time(1999)..
Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball

Samsung UN55JS9000, Yamaha RX-A3050, Emotiva XPA-5, 2 Klipsch- RP-280 FA (Left and Right Front / Height channels) 1 - Klipsch RP-450CA (Center channel) 1 Klipsch - R-112SW (Sub)
4 Klipsch- RP-250S (Side surrounds & Rear surrounds) 2 Klipsch- CDT-5800-II (Ceiling Atmos)
post #9159 of 9174 Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
ive bought 2 items from this seller with no issues. This was my first Floyd concert so Im with you. Id ask about the transfer quality, this was widely bootlegged and was never officially released on anything other than vhs ,confirm it will work with your player. Im so over the top about Waters The Wall nothing else would even slightly amuse me. My thoughts its probably meh, but you cant put a price on nostalgia GL

http://www.maximumsound.org/Pink-Flo...VD_p_2406.html
Thank you, I will check out that seller. Delicate Sound of Thunder was also released on Laser Disc.

I own the DVD of Roger Waters The Wall and it is excellent, as is the remastered Pulse on DVD.

But I have a special affection for the Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Bruce
post #9160 of 9174 Old 06-27-2016, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

^I understand where your coming from.

I just got Led Zeppelin Celebration Day over the weekend. Bohnam jr on drums,This is not a pitch perfect blu, but its Zeppelin. I cranked and pounded this thing. Loved every minute of it.

I take it back, this sounds phenomal it should be a must buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blondas likes this.

Last edited by Gorilla Killa; 06-27-2016 at 05:03 AM.
post #9161 of 9174 Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^I understand where your coming from.

I just got Led Zeppelin Celebration Day over the weekend. Bohnam jr on drums,This is not a pitch perfect blu, but its Zeppelin. I cranked and pounded this thing. Loved every minute of it.

I take it back, this sounds phenomal it should be a must buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I placed an order for Delicate Sound of Thunder on DVD from the seller you referenced the same day as my post. Waiting anxiously ...
post #9162 of 9174 Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I placed an order for Delicate Sound of Thunder on DVD from the seller you referenced the same day as my post. Waiting anxiously ...
Let me know how it is, If its a least above mediocre Id probably pick it up for the memories.
post #9163 of 9174 Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let me know how it is, If its a least above mediocre Id probably pick it up for the memories.
The DVD arrived yesterday, very pleased with their service. Its a copy from Laser Disc which I was glad to see. As long as you have realistic expectations then I think it is good and worth buying.

It is not going to compare to the video quality of Pulse remastered on DVD or the Roger Waters DVD, and I don't think the audio quality is as good, but based on what I can remember from watching the Laser Disc over two decades ago it is comparable to that. I definitely enjoyed reliving the past, but if they ever remaster Delicate Sound of Thunder and release it on DVD / Blu-Ray I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I've been perusing the catalog at Maximum Sound and I like the way they assign each performance a quality rating. There is another Laser Disc concert that I used to watch a lot, the Eurythmics in concert circa late 1980s, that I have always wanted to get on DVD. Maximum Sound sells Eurythmics Live in Sydney Australia 2/14/87 DVD . I just looked at a snippet of that concert on youtube- it looks like the one I remember from Laser Disc and song listing looks the same so I am going to give that a try.

Bruce
post #9164 of 9174 Old 06-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Ill give it a whirl. The first concert I attended was Blue Oyster Cult at Hollywood Sportatorium in S Fla. I was blown away while looking through this site that there was actually a recording from there. This place was torn down decades ago, it was a dump when I saw BOC there in 81' along with many other groups so it definitely brought back memories even though the recording is meh.

It is suprising what they do have available on there, definitely cool stuff.
post #9165 of 9174 Old 06-29-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

What kind of sound is available on these maximum Sound dvds?Cant imagine its 5.1 or PCM.

Matt
post #9166 of 9174 Old 06-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Ive only bought a couple from them and it wasnt for the recording or audio. I would guess some of the newer ones might be ok but dont expect to much. The age of what they have is what I found appealing, reminds me of The Midnight Special show in the 70's. I bought, BOC, Rainbow, Cheap Trick, and Pink Floyd DSOT(just ordered this one) Unless it has some appeal other than audio or video quality I would pass. Then again theyre mostly $12
mattg3 likes this.
post #9167 of 9174 Old 06-30-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Those 4.5 hours of Jeff Beck dvds are sure tempting

Matt
post #9168 of 9174 Old 07-02-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I purchased 3 Blu Rays Lately and would like to recommend..

U2 Paris - I am a huge U2 fan so I am biased. However during this tour, I did not really like this concert when I saw it live. I felt Bono and the band lacked energy and were going through the motions only. This Paris concert feels like all the other concerts were practice sessions for this Paris concert. Sound is OK, seems to lack Bass . It was shot in 1080i. A really stunning concert

Imagine Dragons Smoke & Mirrors - A bit on the "pop" side, but not so much that its bubble gum-y. 1080p transfer. Great sound and video. There is a lot of deep bass in their drums and synthesizers, so it really sounded great in my opinion. I was surprised that I knew more of their songs than I thought I did and the songs I did not know were enjoyable.

Roger Waters The Wall- This was the biggest surprise of my life. I am not a Pink Floyd Fan. I grew up on alternative New Wave and thought Pink FLoyd was for loadies and metal heads. Boy was I wrong. This is highly intelligent music. Actually very mellow with complex, textural instrumental portions. The concert is like nothing I have seen before. It is so incredibly visual. Withing the first few minutes with the airplane and fireworks, I was exhausted!!! The artistic nature of this concert is unreal. The music is great, This is a total immersion concert and the best thing about it is I had no idea and actually bought this for my wife and even though I am not a Floyd Fan per se, this is probably the best concert I own on Blu Ray
Tornado Red likes this.
post #9169 of 9174 Old 07-04-2016, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

@Diamond Dog , totally agree with you on the U2 concert. I was impressed with the video quality for sure. Im a fan of ID and was considering picking up Smoke and Mirrors, you just pushed me over the edge.

The Wall is going to be reigning champ for video for some time to come, and the audio is right there. Glad you liked it and dare say you may be a fan...maybe NIN Beside you in Time is good if you dont have it.

For me, reference is Metallica Through the Never, audio doesnt get better. You want kick drums, Lars has that covered, seriously well done recording. My wife now knows the bass line from Orion now and can tell what Im jamming before she opens the garage door.

52 days and counting until KISS
post #9170 of 9174 Old 07-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
What kind of sound is available on these maximum Sound dvds?Cant imagine its 5.1 or PCM.
On the Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder DVD I bought from Maximum Sound it says Audio: LPCM. Its a transfer from Laser Disc to DVD. I still have my Laser Discs but they are packed away in storage and not easily accessible so I cannot say what the LD audio format was.

IIRC Laser Discs at one point were offering surround sound with Dolby AC3 where you needed an RF demodulator to extract the surround channels. I had that in my set up but cannot remember which Laser Discs came in AC3.

Bruce
post #9171 of 9174 Old 07-04-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems this company is actually the last chance to get interesting concerts on dvd since the market has dried up except for a few big name acts that still put them out.

Matt
post #9172 of 9174 Old 07-13-2016, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dave Matthews Band - Live at Folsom Field

great to show off the theatre.
Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #9173 of 9174 Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
..... There is another Laser Disc concert that I used to watch a lot, the Eurythmics in concert circa late 1980s, that I have always wanted to get on DVD. Maximum Sound sells Eurythmics Live in Sydney Australia 2/14/87 DVD . I just looked at a snippet of that concert on youtube- it looks like the one I remember from Laser Disc and song listing looks the same so I am going to give that a try .....
Following up on Eurythmics Live, I received the DVD I ordered from Maximum Sound. It did not say copy of Laser Disc like Pink Floyd's DSOT did and I would say the video and audio quality is not as good as the Pink Floyd DVD. I like Maximum Sound, both their product line and service, but I assume the source material was not as good for the Eurythmics concert.

Additional follow up, my wife organized us doing a major clean out of our now former storage units and I brought my laser discs back to the house. I then set up an older 2 channel A/V system in a secondary room, hooked up one of my two laser disc players, put in the Eurythmics Live LD, and voila! it played. For the LD, video quality is fairly good and audio quality is quite good. I was very pleased to say the least.

I have a few other older concerts / music videos that I look forward to watching and listening to on my Retro system.

Bruce
Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #9174 of 9174 Old 09-13-2016, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
I realize this is a bit off topic but anyone have any suggestions for ballet geared for children? Our local dance school asked if we had any that we might show at a movie night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page