Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 9043 Old 11-09-2003, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Re: Prince---

I'm soooooooo mad. I saw this in a used store about 3 weeks ago for $10. I grabbed it but the checkout line was really long and moving slow and I was on my lunch break. I took the DVD and hid it on a shelf of old movies where I thought it would go unnoticed. Went back later that day and--- yep, it was gone. Arrrrrrghhhh!!

Don't taze me, bro!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 9043 Old 11-09-2003, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Performance 4-5
Audio 5
Video 4

This is an excellently recorded and directed performance of the Boss from 2001. The audio is stellar, it suffers none of the negatives of the stadium sound, but still has that huge revirberating sound, so you know your in a stadium. The sound producers and directors deserve credit. The same day I got this, I received a live recording of another performer, that was taped in a sound studio: Bruce's stadium recording sounds much better.

The performance is vintage Bruce, he is great in concert, and seems to treat it as almost a religous experience. None of his songs are played like they are on the studio album. his songs metamorphizes on the road, he will slow them down , or speed them up, and ... well ... the results are always pretty good

Nice band too, great Sax player, they arent incredibly complex, and often the sound is rather slow and quiet, but the songwriting and the sincerity are there...
post #93 of 9043 Old 11-13-2003, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the grateful dead the closing of winterland is quite good[you're not a true deadhead imho if you don't have this dvd]

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #94 of 9043 Old 11-13-2003, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow!

Has to be the best concert(s) DVD I've seen, so many extras it makes your head spin.

The PQ and Audio is stunning. And I'm not a Stone fan!

4 discs (4:3 ) 3 different concerts Paris, New York & someother place in Europe.

Jessica

Whats a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?
post #95 of 9043 Old 11-13-2003, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kevin j
the grateful dead the closing of winterland is quite good[you're not a true deadhead imho if you don't have this dvd]

Ive been eyeing this disk, the quality is good?
I probably would have bought it by now, but I was afraid someone would see it on my shelf, and think I was a deadhead!

I never cared for their studio stuff, but I used to own a concert album of theirs that was soo good.

I cant remember the title, but it was a studio release 2 album set released in the very early 80s, and I remember perfectly recorded layered guitarwork throughout...
post #96 of 9043 Old 11-13-2003, 07:05 PM

Shirley Bassey The Diva. Comes with an excellent documentary and commentary from THE DIVA herself.She ldropped her earring while performing and you wouldn't notice it.

Nk
post #97 of 9043 Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by suffolk112000

You said you enjoyed hearing singers with exquisite voices... well Alison has one of the best in my opinion.
The video on this DVD is also superb as well.

One more "AMEN!!!" on Allison Krauss. I'm no fan of most bluegrass I've heard, but this woman's voice is so pure and mesmerizing- you can't help but love it!

-shrugger
post #98 of 9043 Old 11-15-2003, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Let me mention four DVD's that may not have all the criteria to be great choices to sit beside the already mentioned demo discs of Krall, James Taylor, The Boss, Orbison, Santana, Dave Matthews Band, and Allison Krauss (I am genetically incapable of appreciating most hard rock), but are worth mentioning as good performance discs seem to be such rarities that any worth mentioning should be. As far as I am concerned, performance DVD's are the highest and best use of my theater.

Three Mo Tenors -
4 out of 5 video
4 audio
5 performance

The three performers prove their versatility in a wide range of styles from opera to blues and on. Rodrick Dixon singing and playing A Song For You is worth the price of the disc alone.

Smokey Joe's Café -
4 video
3 audio
5 performance

This is a stage performance as opposed to concert performance, and was shot in HD, but miked with those on the head things, which never seem to capture the best sound although necessary where movement is required of the artists. I never liked doowop music before seeing this one on Broadway. This is the last performance of the original cast, and is faithful of the live show, which, of course, it was.

America: A Tribute To Heroes -

4 video
3-4 audio
4 performance

Some great performances and some not so great. Skip the intros and verbal tributes if you wish and anything with Mariah Carey mugging uncontrollably. I did not know that Faith Hill could really sing until this disc.

Jane Monheit: Live At The Rainbow Room -

5 video
5 audio
3 performance

Cabaret performance the equal in production value of the Krall disc. This singer certainly has the voice and training, but lacks the maturity that will hopefully come with age, IMHO. Others more attuned to this type performance may give a higher rating to the performance, of course.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #99 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Distorted
I did not know that Faith Hill could really sing until this disc.

Not to be off topic but I can't let this go; she can't. I promise. I've seen it. If they have made it appear otherwise it's with post-production and Antares Auto-tune

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #100 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 09:06 AM

A really cool DVD is (I'm paraphrasing the title) TRIBUTE TO BRIAN WILSON.

It features Elton John, Paul Simon, Carley Simon, and all kinds of other performers doing their versions of Brians Wilson's compositions. Very interesting. Brian even got it together enough to do a walk-on toward the end of the show.

Tim A.
post #101 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FredProgGH
Not to be off topic but I can't let this go; she can't. I promise. I've seen it. If they have made it appear otherwise it's with post-production and Antares Auto-tune

Well, she gets a high five for just standing there.

Production of performance DVD's brings up an interesting subject though. We all know that almost any performer can be made palatable in the studio, but just how much can be rectified on live performance video recordings? My guess is not nearly as much, and that may account in large part for the relative paucity of decent discs - the performers have to actually be talented.

post #102 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Eric Clapton Live at Hyde Park is reference.
post #103 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FredProgGH

I wouldn't call myself a huge Faith Hill fan (although she is incredible to look at!) I was pretty impressed with her during her live performance at the Grammy's this year. The song she did, "Cry" can't be an easy one to pull off live, and I thought she did just fine. (Again, watching her in a gold mini-dress in HDTV might have had something to do with it, but I can't be sure......)
post #104 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the atypical recommends, Distorted! I agree with your take on this stuff, watching concerts and such, is an incredible use of this technology.

Theres several bands that mix rock with jazz and classical instrumentation, and lovely voices of all types, and some of those discs are the best, IMHO, so dont give up on Rockers yet
post #105 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, she gets a high five for just standing there.

Production of performance DVD's brings up an interesting subject though. We all know that almost any performer can be made palatable in the studio, but just how much can be rectified on live performance video recordings? My guess is not nearly as much, and that may account in large part for the relative paucity of decent discs - the performers have to actually be talented.

Well, if a band IS talented they don't need to touch up much. But you'd be amazed at what can be done after the fact to tweak a less than stellar performance (I've done it myself ) And for the truly not-good there's always the retrack the whole show in the studio option. There is a famous live album from the 70's that doesn't have an actual "live" note on it. (And it's not Frampton Comes Alive, that was one of the notable exceptions. though I think Pete recut a few of his vocals!)

Even truly talented bands will often "sweeten" the live sound a bit in the studio- watch Keys To Ascension by Yes and check out all the backup vocals when theres no one within 10 feet of a mic! It's just how it's done...

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #106 of 9043 Old 11-16-2003, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

And its not just musicians! Radio DJs and talkshow hosts send their voices through their signature processors. Do you really think Rush Limbaugh has that deep resonant voice for real? Do you really think Lara Sleshinger still has that sweet toned 20 year old voice?

Its mostly thiers, but they have magical sound engineers helping them out
post #107 of 9043 Old 11-17-2003, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 83
U2's New DVD, it comes out on Tuesday and it is a very good show. Done in England at a famous castlle.

Also Peter Gabriel, Secret World Live, music is excellent video quality is so, so.
post #108 of 9043 Old 11-17-2003, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

it's in ireland not england fyi

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #109 of 9043 Old 11-17-2003, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Garman
U2's New DVD, it comes out on Tuesday and it is a very good show. Done in England at a famous castlle.

Red Hot Chili Pepper's also did a concert at the same castle. This dvd is also available on 11-18. Will someone please post a review of this DVD.
post #110 of 9043 Old 11-17-2003, 06:11 PM

Good thread. I've definitely got to check out the new U2.

Here are the best I've seen:
James Taylor Live at the BT
Roger Waters In the Flesh
Diana Krall in Paris
Talking Heads Stop Making Sense
Eagles Hell Freezes Over
Sade Lovers Live

IMHO
post #111 of 9043 Old 11-17-2003, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
jimnc,

"James Taylor Live at the BT;"
I've been contemplating getting this DVD, why did it make your top list. PQ, Audio, Content? I understand its 16:9.

Jessica

Whats a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?
post #112 of 9043 Old 11-17-2003, 08:08 PM

First of all, it's a good concert, great performances, 109 minutes.
Second, the production quality is excellent: PQ(you can see the beads of sweat on JT's balding head), sound(DD), editing. I can't stress how much editing is a factor in a DVD concert. It can make you feel like a member of the audience, or it can tire you out and make you feel like you're watching a music video. This is a well-paced edit.
I don't even recall what the aspect ratio is; doesn't say on the box; can't play it right now.
I'm not a JT fanatic; I just like watching well-produced concerts. I've been disappointed by quite a few concert DVDs. But this one is first-rate.

IMHO
post #113 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 05:52 AM

I also recommend The Cranberries Beneath the Skin Version 2.

IMHO
post #114 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a forum somewhere that restricts it's discussion to concert/performance dvd's?

post #115 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think so.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #116 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a forum somewhere that restricts it's discussion to concert/performance dvd's?

Your in it bruddah!

I have about 50 concert DVDs, and order a few more every month.

So far, my favorites are Prince (Rave Unto) David Gilmore (Live) , Roger Waters (InTheFlesh), Eagles (HellFreezes), Dixie Chicks (evening with), Diane Krall (Paris), and Rush (Rio).

I've never liked the band U2 ... actually the band is rather nice, its just that Bono's self-important krooning rubs me the wrong way. That said i wouldnt mind renting it, or maybe buying it used,to see if i can stomach it

That JT concert sounds interesting, i will keep an eye out for it, thanks!

Ive been playing the heck out of "Prince: Rave Unto The Year 2000", he jumps from blues to rock to soul to R&B and puts on a helluva stageshow while hes doing it, all in a party atmosphere with excellent players (Lenny Kravitz, George Clinton, to name just a couple).

I agree with the earlier comment that editing is HUGE. Jethro Tull's "LIving IN the Past" is ruined by horrible editing.

A real gem is "An Evening With The Dixie Chicks", awesome editing, beautiful Nashville Theater, 1st class sound quality ....

Ok I will stop rambling
post #117 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Your in it bruddah!

This is primarily a movie bb, which is good for film, but only about 2% music oriented, which is insufficient. Maybe a new forum here at AVS is in order as performance DVD's come on?

post #118 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 01:50 PM

JohnR,
I saw the Tull DVD. I agree.
About the Prince DVD: when I saw him live many years ago, he kept pointing his mike at the audience encouraging a singalong. That bugged me. Does he do any of that in Rave Unto?

IMHO
post #119 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

bruce springsteen live in barcelona...this dvd's better than the live in nyc one imho

post #120 of 9043 Old 11-18-2003, 06:54 PM

The U2 concert is actually at Slane Castle in Ireland. You'll likely to piss off any Irish viewers with comments that is in England. Not surprsing though since even the Best Buy ad lists at as from England !!! You would think they could pay their researchers enough to get simple facts correct.

The concert itself is excellent with great sound but poor quality picture. Their other Elevation DVD has a much higher quality picture.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page