Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 9003 Old 12-09-2003, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
[b]You didnt find the ultra-fast camera switching annoying on the Coldplay DVD? .... reminds me of Bono from U2.

It only gets annoying when the guitar player is performing a solo and the camera doesn't stay on him.

There are a couple Coldplay songs that are reminiscent of U2 (I commented the same thing to my brother while watching it), but is that altogether a bad thing?

Panasonic 50ST60 | Oppo BDP-103 | Marantz SR5008 | KEF KHT-3005 | BlueJeansCable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9003 Old 12-10-2003, 08:24 PM

How about a little Yanni for a change of pace. I was not a Yanni fan until I watched "Live at the Acropolis". Not the greatest picture quality, but an awesome viewing and listening experience.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man can be king.
post #183 of 9003 Old 12-10-2003, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yosh70
Has anyone heard/experienced the new AC\\DC Live in Donington concert? I enjoy their Stiff Upper Lip DVD and was wondering if this one is as good or better....
Sorry to be slightly off-topic but all this "Allison Krauss" , "Dixie Chicks" and now "Tony Bennett" talk has started making me sleepy

I have both of the AC/DC discs and both are very good. The PQ in Stiff Upper Lip is a little bit better but I think the sound quality on Donnington may be a little better, even though its DD and not DTS. They put Angus' guitar prominently in both the front and rear surrounds (much more than any other concert DVD I own) so you feel like your on stage with them. Also, Donington has 3 or 4 songs Stiff Upper Lip does not have.

I also have the Styx DVD. I found it an enjoyable concert although I don't think the PQ or Audio Quality are as good as the AC/DC DVD's.

Two recent purchases I have enjoyed are the Heart-Alive in Seattle DVD and the Kiss-Symphony DVD...if you can stomach Gene Simmons' ego.
post #184 of 9003 Old 12-11-2003, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks. Is it the same band membership in Donnington?
post #185 of 9003 Old 12-11-2003, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Suprised there has been only one mention of Springsteen Live in Barcelona. PQ and sound are just awesome.

Almost all the songs from "The Rising" plus a rousing rendition of "She's the
One" and my favorite; Bruce playing "Spirits in the Night" solo on the keyboard.

John McAdams
post #186 of 9003 Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

"Randy Bachman Every Song Tells A Story"

Just got done watching this one, though I would just take a look at it but I could not wait to hear the next song and the next and the next.

The music from all the performers came through clearly, the video was very good (161" screen 9" CRT). I liked the intimate style that it was performed in. Randy tells a little story how the songs came about, which was very cool. Left me wanting more.

A must for any BTO or Guess Who fan and if you are not buy it anyway, alot of killer songs.

Deron.

CRT Videophile
post #187 of 9003 Old 12-12-2003, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to love BTO, I think I was 14-16! will definitely buy this thanks...
What ever happened to them? haha
post #188 of 9003 Old 12-12-2003, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Thanks. Is it the same band membership in Donnington?

Everyone is the same except the drummer. Chris Slade, whom you may remember from The Firm, is the drummer here rather than Phil Rudd. Personally, I think Slade a better drummer; he gives them a bigger sound.

Another DVD I really like is "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". It's half-documentary and half concert film that tells the story of the studio musicians (known as The Funk Brothers) who backed all the great Motown artists. The documentary is interspersed with recent concert footage of the Funk Brothers backing a number of contemporary artist singing Motown classics. The artist range from Chaka Khan and Bootsy Collins to Joan Osborne, Ben Harper, and Montell Jordan.

The picture is very good and presented in Widescreen. The sound is reference quality; you can listen in either 6.1 DTS-ES or 5.1 Dolby-EX.

Best of all it's inexpensive. You can find it anywhere for $10 - $12 bucks.
post #189 of 9003 Old 12-12-2003, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Griz92867
Another DVD I really like is "Standing in the Shadows of Motown".

Yes, this one is TERRIFIC!!! it's such a damn shame that James Jamerson, and others, weren't around to participate- it took way too many years for this story to be told.

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #190 of 9003 Old 12-12-2003, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

(I used to love BTO, I think I was 14-16! will definitely buy this thanks...
What ever happened to them? haha)

John

Part of BTO is still touring under the BTO title, playing alot of the original songs, saw them this summer, the lead singer still has that hard driving voice.

Randy Bachman is touring with his new band in Canada, he plays a new song on this DVD.

Watched the "Randy Bachman Every Song Tells A Story" with a friend today, he loved it. It's more then just a regular concert DVD, it tells a story of the history of how the songs came about. Randy does a very good job telling these stories.

If you want more then just the regular concert DVD this is a must buy, wish there were more concert DVD's done as good as this one.

Deron.

CRT Videophile
post #191 of 9003 Old 12-13-2003, 09:46 AM

Would someone please answer this question about the "Randy Bachman Every Song Tells A Story" DVD?

Are the chapter stops at the beginning of the songs... or at the beggining of the "story" about the songs?

Thanks... This DVD sounds like a fun trip down memory lane
post #192 of 9003 Old 12-13-2003, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one who likes Back In The USA by a guy named Paul McCarney. He used to play in a well known band but I can't remember the name but I thought it was a killer DVD. Also, the Average White Band DVD Tonight. Roy Orbison's Black & White Night was fantastic expecially the guitar riffs with Bruce Springsteen and I love Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, Live from Austin, Texas. Also, Faith Hill doesn't have to sing she can just stand there and strut her stuff and I'm happy.
post #193 of 9003 Old 12-14-2003, 12:09 AM

Not that it's a blasphemous thing in itself. But, the AC/DC Live in Donington DVD has quite a lot of overdubs on it.

Watch the iso-cam for Back in Black and you'll notice on one occassion you here Brian goes "UH!" with the mic away from his mouth. Also, on the songs that you can see Angus solo, you'll notice a few discrepencies (even if you're not a guitarist you catch a few cases of notes without fingers or fingering without notes).

Nevertheless, the sounds is astounding on the DVD. The Video is unremarkable and not very clean. Give the video a 6/10 and the audio-mix a 9/10. The audio mix is VERY LOUD. I had to knock my receiver settings more than -10db than normal (not that I am complaining). It's a very hot mix. I got it for $7 during the DDD super sale last week. One of the only times I will put up with DDD's media mail and frequent ordering and billing mistakes, especially since most of the stuff I got was 50%+ off list.

Umm..

Oh yeah, Shania Twain Live in Chicago. Video is stunning, audio is excellent as well. Get it!!!!!!!
post #194 of 9003 Old 12-14-2003, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris Xolotl, what is DDD?
post #195 of 9003 Old 12-14-2003, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DDD

Steve
post #196 of 9003 Old 12-14-2003, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

DIY Guy, thanks for the DDD link. How do I copy a link and then rename it like you did as DDD or whatever? Some people will have a link and then rename it as click here or just here.
post #197 of 9003 Old 12-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
plasmamaniac,

When you post a reply using the "Post Reply" button the GUI has vB code buttons. To add a http:// link, you click the button which will bring up the first window for adding whatever text you want your link to say. you enter that and then another window will pop up for the exact url i.e.(http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/newre...hreadid=280205) that you want link to. click and your done. Does that make sense?

Steve
post #198 of 9003 Old 12-14-2003, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve, you are most helpful and very knowledgeable. Thanks, Richard.
post #199 of 9003 Old 12-15-2003, 02:56 AM

Has anybody seen Bjork: Live At The Royal Opera House. I have her Vespertine DVD-A which I find amazing.

Is it 16x9 Anamorphic? does it have DTS? Any comment on sound and picture of this DVD is appreciated.

Thanks,
Maziar
post #200 of 9003 Old 12-15-2003, 05:38 AM

Blue Man Group - The Complex Rock Tour Live
I've been to a BMG performance in Chicago and although this is a different show, it really captures the energy. Sounds great even though it's only DD stereo - the drums pound! PQ is not bad considering it's non-anamorhic.
Had some friends over to see this last weekend that had heard of BMG, but never been to a show - they were blown away......
post #201 of 9003 Old 12-15-2003, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The forever changes concert by Love.Just the fact that this exists in pretty amazing.Arthur Lee gets out of years behind bars and manages to put together this band.If only someone had a visual record of the original Love from their days on sunset strip.Truely one of the greatest bands from the sixties.

Matt
post #202 of 9003 Old 12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Shuttup!
You guys are costing me money!

I substituted the James Taylor recommendation,because it was, like 20 bucks, and got another concert of his, hopefully its good too.

RANDY BACHMAN-EVERY SONG TELLS A S $ 13.16
AC/DC-LIVE AT DONINGTON $ 8.98
BLUE MAN GROUP-COMPLEX ROCK TOUR LIVE $ 9.98
JAMES TAYLOR: PULL OVER $ 11.99
YANNI-LIVE AT THE ACROPOLIS $ 12.93

Got this spread through DDD, not bad prices, and free shipping.
post #203 of 9003 Old 12-15-2003, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mazuly
Has anybody seen Bjork: Live At The Royal Opera House. I have her Vespertine DVD-A which I find amazing.

Is it 16x9 Anamorphic? does it have DTS? Any comment on sound and picture of this DVD is appreciated.

Thanks,
Maziar

Well since nobody responded, I went and bought the DVD .

I have watched 4 or 5 songs and I must say, it is very good. Word of caution though, If you don't like Vespertine by Bjork, then you will not like this concert. The picture is not bad (shot in video). It is 16x9 and anamorphic. It has DD 2.0 and DD5.1 and I highly recommend the DD5.1. This is the most I have had activity in my surround channel. It is almost like her DVD-A disk. She also has a full orchestra playing with her as well as some other musicians (well, 2 of the guys on the stage are playing around with mixers, computers and gizmos though).

I highly recommend it if you are into her music.

I also have and recommend:

Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense (bought today with Bjork)
Dave Matthews Band, The Central Park Concert (bought today with Bjork)
Peter Gabriel, Secret World Live and Growing Up Live

Thanks,
Maziar
post #204 of 9003 Old 12-17-2003, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by longshot
Suprised there has been only one mention of Springsteen Live in Barcelona. PQ and sound are just awesome.

Don't know WHICH Springsteen Live in Barcelona you're watching. I WISH I had one where the PQ and Sound are awesome.

However, the one I bought has piss-poor Sound and PQ. A total waste of money. Really disappointing compared to the LIVE in NYC DVD which is one of my all-time favorite concert DVD's.

The Barcelona sound is so muddled and muddy, one cannot (almost) tell a guitar from a drum. The 5.1 mix is terrible in Barcelona. The 5.1 mix on NYC is amazing, as Springsteen's guitar comes directly from the dialog channel. The sound is crisp and clean.

NYC PQ is almost HDTV like. Close-ups of Roy Brittan's piano are like you're standing right next to him. Check out the piano close-ups in Barcelona. Like I said, piss-poor.

Sony really did a terrible job on this DVD.

IMHO -
Barcelona - PQ 4, Sound 4
NYC - PQ 8-9 (first DVD seems like an 8, 2nd. DVD is a 9), Sound 10.

Just thought y'all should have a second opinion.

Bob Sliwa
"Like a Midget at a Urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes...."

Front Projection Home Theater since 1979.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #205 of 9003 Old 12-17-2003, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree Springsteen live in NYC has reference sound quality. Not only does the engineer have all the instruments and vocals exquisitely mixed, he also captures the positive aspects of sound in a large arena, the huge ambience you get in a place like that.

The engineer also deftly ommits the negatives of arenas: the constant echos and distortion. I would hire that soundteam to record my band any day... if i had a band
post #206 of 9003 Old 12-17-2003, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
OK, as much as I hate to admit this...I like Britney Spears. I like looking at her, I like listening to her voice (talking or singing), I like seeing her move/dance, I just like her. She's hot.

Now that I got that out of my system, I'm wondering if anybody else (who wouldn't mind saying that they like Britney Spears) happens to have a copy of the Live From Las Vegas DVD. Can anyone comment on this one? The 5.1 ought to be pretty good. Of course, I realize that she's lip syncing for almost every single one of her songs, I'm curious if they mixed in the crowd to the 5.1 track.

I'll know soon enough when my DVD arrives (I bought it off of e-bay for $3.45). But I wanted to get someone elses opinion before it shows up. Plus, my 5.1 speaker setup won't arrive until mid to late Jan. It's already ordered, but the manufacturer takes a while to manufacture these speakers.

Thanks!

Chet
post #207 of 9003 Old 12-17-2003, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it's yummy. You don't really NEED to actually HEAR IT though

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #208 of 9003 Old 12-17-2003, 07:57 PM

This is a great thread. I just read through the whole thing and ordered

Roger Waters - In Flesh
Hall and Oates Live
Sting - All this Time

from DDD. We started buying concert DVDs four years ago and just love them. Very much agree with Bruce Springsteen Live in NYC for overall quality. Also second recommendations for U2 Boston and Slaine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Diana Krall, Cure, The Who Albert Hall, Santana, Eagles, Prince Rave.

Two DVDs I would NOT recommend are:

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance; has to be the worst sounding DVD I have ever heard and Sting - A Brand New Day; very inconsistent audio. If anyone really wants these discs, I'd be happy to sell them cheap

For sound quality Tina Turner Live in Amsterdam is quite good.

Keep those reviews coming
post #209 of 9003 Old 12-18-2003, 07:46 AM

Hi Gang

I have quite a few concert DVD's. I'd like to add Oasis "Familiar to Millions' feels like your're really in the crowd, good widescreen video quality, Liam always sounds a little muffled anyway!, but good sound quality Another vote for; Roy Orbison 'Black & White Night', U2 'Rattle & Hum', ' Moody Blues at Royal Albert Hall' all superb.

Glenn
post #210 of 9003 Old 12-18-2003, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by epiney

Two DVDs I would NOT recommend are:

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance; has to be the worst sounding DVD I have ever heard and

Wow that was the first concert DVD I bought, this was probably around 1999, and it still sounds good to this day. I do give it a little leeway because its a fairly early effort, but I really think the drums are mixed superbly on this DVD, and everything else as well.

Maybe theres a synergistic problem with how this DVD sounds on your system? where do the faults lie? I may pop it in the player and see if i can find what your talking about.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Waltz Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page