Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos Sound - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #61 of 67 Old 05-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
What's interesting is I've never heard anyone say "boy, I wish that movie was in 3D". I think the sole reason movie theaters are showing 3D is because they can charge more and feel justified that they are giving something "extra".

If they stopped showing 3D there would probably wouldn't be many complaints just as there hasn't been for lack of 3D at home. The major complaints would be from the studios/theaters from the loss of revenue.

3D has it's fans for sure, but I don't think it's any kind of deciding factor on whether they are going to go see the movie in a theater or not. Christopher Nolan doesn't release his movies in 3D but people aren't boycotting the theaters because of it...
I bet you wouldnt believe that I am not huge on 3D!? I am however huge on entertainment that is paied for giving all that it has the potential to give.

3D, at its core, is an attempt to bring the spatiality on screen that we visually process everyday. 3D could actually be called "what we see". But 3D has become a catch phrase for technology of one or another. Its not supposed to be. 3D is supposed to be a way of visualizing, on a screen, the natural way humans process the world around them. 3D means "Three dimensional", its what we experience when we move the catsup bottle out of the way to get the salt shaker. The attempt to bring that reality to the movie sceen has been going on for decades.

A directors vision (npi?) is to bring his story to screen - telling visually - explaining the concepts and threads of the story that he is directing. He is placing to screen the humanity and sometimes inhumanity including all of the vices and virtues that story telling encompasses.

A director major role is to make the best attempt, attempt being the main word, bring a reality to screen from what was on a script/screenplay Chris's imagination is sooo fluid that - especially inception - that a 3D version would be a throw back (npi#2?) to times when barf bags were a staple in movies showing the first 3D movies.

3D is "NOT" <only> a catch phrase for technology. Its - at its core - a way to bring a realism to the way we pickup a catsup bottle, but its not "we" picking up the bottle, its the guy on screen doing so.

3D is milenna away from a holodeck version of "Terminator 22" or "Starwars the tenth prequel". 3D is however one of the steps that will path movies there.

A directors vision (np...?) is what he/she wants to put on screen. 3D or not 3D - that is the question. If Nolan was against 3D, who is to say the he was right or wrong. When a movie is being shot, the understanding that certain angles must be adhered to in order to acquiesce to a movies 3d, only brings an additional complexity to making the movie work. Imagine inception being done with the additional complexty of making sure camera angles were 3D appropriate. And costs more.

Will studios make more by making 3D? Yes! Do folks like it? Yes! Does it cost more to make? Yes! So in reality its the same issue, is this a movie that I want to see - Drama, SciFi, Documentary, Action........whatever. Oh yeah, what means this 3D? Does it tell the story a bit better? Its more like a Universal Studio's ride. Then ok, I'll try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Nice write-up Scott! I really loved this movie too as well as the first. I seen it in regular 2K RealD 3D and i had wonderful 3D and the audio was great even is just old 5.1(on older theater) at my local AMC Classic.

JBL Pro Cinema-JTR subwoofers-Sony SXRD projection-Elite AT screen-Denon AVR-Oppo BD player-Acoustimac panels-SeatCraft HT seating
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #63 of 67 Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khahhsounds View Post
I bet you wouldnt believe that I am not huge on 3D!? I am however huge on entertainment that is paied for giving all that it has the potential to give.

3D, at its core, is an attempt to bring the spatiality on screen that we visually process everyday. 3D could actually be called "what we see". But 3D has become a catch phrase for technology of one or another. Its not supposed to be. 3D is supposed to be a way of visualizing, on a screen, the natural way humans process the world around them. 3D means "Three dimensional", its what we experience when we move the catsup bottle out of the way to get the salt shaker. The attempt to bring that reality to the movie sceen has been going on for decades.

A directors vision (npi?) is to bring his story to screen - telling visually - explaining the concepts and threads of the story that he is directing. He is placing to screen the humanity and sometimes inhumanity including all of the vices and virtues that story telling encompasses.

A director major role is to make the best attempt, attempt being the main word, bring a reality to screen from what was on a script/screenplay Chris's imagination is sooo fluid that - especially inception - that a 3D version would be a throw back (npi#2?) to times when barf bags were a staple in movies showing the first 3D movies.

3D is "NOT" <only> a catch phrase for technology. Its - at its core - a way to bring a realism to the way we pickup a catsup bottle, but its not "we" picking up the bottle, its the guy on screen doing so.

3D is milenna away from a holodeck version of "Terminator 22" or "Starwars the tenth prequel". 3D is however one of the steps that will path movies there.

A directors vision (np...?) is what he/she wants to put on screen. 3D or not 3D - that is the question. If Nolan was against 3D, who is to say the he was right or wrong. When a movie is being shot, the understanding that certain angles must be adhered to in order to acquiesce to a movies 3d, only brings an additional complexity to making the movie work. Imagine inception being done with the additional complexty of making sure camera angles were 3D appropriate. And costs more.

Will studios make more by making 3D? Yes! Do folks like it? Yes! Does it cost more to make? Yes! So in reality its the same issue, is this a movie that I want to see - Drama, SciFi, Documentary, Action........whatever. Oh yeah, what means this 3D? Does it tell the story a bit better? Its more like a Universal Studio's ride. Then ok, I'll try it.
The only movie that I have found over the last 10 years to be worth seeing in 3D was when I seen Avatar in Imax 3D when it came out. At times it felt like I was part of the movie, but other movies since then I felt it was a waste except I was seeing it an AMC Prime theater so the sound was worth it. I when I buy a new projector and it comes with 3D that I will watch many movies in 3D at home. My 8 year old son doesn't like wearing the glasses so we don't take him to those type of movies. I see GOG Vol 2 in a Dolby Cinema theater and that was just fine for me.
Khahhsounds likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html

post #64 of 67 Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Saw this Opening Weekend at a Dolby Cinema here in CO. Glad to say as of three days ago I have 2 Dolby Cinemas within 15 minutes of me so it now gives me choices. Which is good because the new one is showing King Arthur for the next 2 weeks. As someone asked, they do show non-Dolby Vision titles, as King Arthur is not listed as Dolby graded on the Dolby Cinema Website. This is very disappointing as its the first week the theater is opened and I can only imagine that people won't see what actual difference it would make. Had they opened with Guardians it would have got them off to a good start.

As far as the movie went, as my girlfriend put it that doesn't really care, I think that ruined every other movie experience. Looks like all major movies will be seen in Dolby Cinema from now on. I was disappointed watching all the amazing 30+ minutes of trailers because I was hoping for Dolby trailers, but they were just the regular ones (Best group of trailers I have seen in front of a movie though), but when the Dolby pre movie stuff started up, the guy next to me and myself started giggling like school girls... man was that amazing!

Can't wait for a movie like Star Wars to be seen in Dolby vision, was sad I missed Rogue One at Dolby Cinema.
Scott Wilkinson likes this.
post #65 of 67 Old 05-16-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
As someone asked, they do show non-Dolby Vision titles, as King Arthur is not listed as Dolby graded on the Dolby Cinema Website. This is very disappointing as its the first week the theater is opened and I can only imagine that people won't see what actual difference it would make.
King Arthur is a real Dolby Cinema release, graded in Vision and Atmos. It's listed on Dolby's site here and here.
post #66 of 67 Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
King Arthur is a real Dolby Cinema release, graded in Vision and Atmos. It's listed on Dolby's site here and here.
Yup figured it out after the fact... was looking at a different page showing releases that didn't show king arthur... However on that list there are 3 releases coming with no Dolby Vision so not sure if they will show them.

Last edited by russdornisch; 05-16-2017 at 07:51 AM.
post #67 of 67 Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
Yup figured it out after the fact... was looking at a different page showing releases that didn't show king arthur... However on that list there are 3 releases coming with no Dolby Vision so not sure if they will show them.
That list also shows movies that are mixed it Atmos but not Vision because they are both Dolby products. But it is not considered a Dolby Cinema release unless it has both. AMC, on the other hand, has played non-Dolby Cinema releases in their Dolby Cinemas. I've complained to them about that. Hopefully they'll stop, especially now that there are so many Dolby Cinema releases that they can't even play them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby cinema , dolby vision , guardians of the galaxy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page