70mm movie on a former IMAX theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By skoolpsyk
  • 1 Post By skoolpsyk

post #1 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
70mm movie on a former IMAX theater

Hi

In Los Angeles there used to be a true imax theater (AKA The Bridge) at the Howard Hughes center. A couple of years ago, the theater was bought by cinemark and it's now a Cinemark XD. My understanding is they kept the screen (82 ft wide), not sure if they were allowed to keep the projector, but it seems they have a Century 35/70 with SRD, DTS, DTS70, and mag. 70mm.

So now I see this Cinemark XD will be showing Dunkirk in 70mm. If it's 70mm with an imax screen, what would be the difference from watching on a real imax 70mm showing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Not sure, it's possible they have other 70mm prints in a different aspect ratio for other 70mm projectors and who knows which one they will get (the Arclight in Sherman Oaks still shows 70mm but isn't IMAX).
You'd probably have to talk to the manager or projectionist to be sure...

but if you don't want to take a chance it's playing in true IMAX 70mm at Universal Citywalk and there is a huge screen there (not sure of the exact size but comparable to TLC Chinese IMAX but with better stadium-style seating). I got my tickets for next Wednesday; I was really surprised how many tickets were already bought up for some of the other days already!
TrueDis likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
Hi

In Los Angeles there used to be a true imax theater (AKA The Bridge) at the Howard Hughes center. A couple of years ago, the theater was bought by cinemark and it's now a Cinemark XD. My understanding is they kept the screen (82 ft wide), not sure if they were allowed to keep the projector, but it seems they have a Century 35/70 with SRD, DTS, DTS70, and mag. 70mm.

So now I see this Cinemark XD will be showing Dunkirk in 70mm. If it's 70mm with an imax screen, what would be the difference from watching on a real imax 70mm showing?
Yes, there's a difference between IMAX 15/70 film and regular 5/70 film. Even if the screen size is the same, the negatives are much different. That Cinemark you mention will be showing the 5 perf 70mm film. Check out this unofficial comparison guide to see the size and aspect ratio differences: https://twitter.com/antovolk/status/886626392842129409

post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Yes, there's a difference between IMAX 15/70 film and regular 5/70 film. Even if the screen size is the same, the negatives are much different. That Cinemark you mention will be showing the 5 perf 70mm film. Check out this unofficial comparison guide to see the size and aspect ratio differences: https://twitter.com/antovolk/status/886626392842129409
I see, being a completely different negative it won't have the same aspect ratio as in with an imax negative on an imax screen.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
The 70mm theatrical prints will be projected at a constant 2.20:1 aspect ratio. The IMAX presentations will alternate between 2.20:1 and a taller ratio (either 1.89:1 or 1.44:1 depending on the theater) from scene to scene.

Other theaters will project at a constant 2.40:1 ratio.

Even though we talk about "IMAX 70mm," the IMAX camera negative is much larger than standard 65mm/70mm, and it runs through the camera horizontally rather than vertically. The movie sequences shot with IMAX cameras should look superior in an IMAX theater (preferably one projecting either film or 4k) than the other 70mm theatrical prints.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Even though we talk about "IMAX 70mm," the IMAX camera negative is much larger than standard 65mm/70mm, and it runs through the camera horizontally rather than vertically. The movie sequences shot with IMAX cameras should look superior in an IMAX theater (preferably one projecting either film or 4k) than the other 70mm theatrical prints.
Indeed, the image area of a 70mm frame is 55mm wide, whereas the image area of an IMAX frame is 70mm wide. So even if the IMAX frame was matted to the same aspect ratio as a 70mm frame, it would still look superior.

Sanjay
post #7 of 9 Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Has anyone seen it at this theater? I just called them and the woman on the phone insisted they were showing it "in IMAX" which is odd because they gave up their IMAX cert when Cinemark took over and rebranded the theater XD, but the screen is still the same so I suppose it's possible... They're also showing it in 70mm on another screen, which makes it difficult to figure out how to see it here. Anyone have input?

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front)
Klipsch RP-250C (Center)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #8 of 9 Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
Not sure, it's possible they have other 70mm prints in a different aspect ratio for other 70mm projectors and who knows which one they will get (the Arclight in Sherman Oaks still shows 70mm but isn't IMAX).
You'd probably have to talk to the manager or projectionist to be sure...

but if you don't want to take a chance it's playing in true IMAX 70mm at Universal Citywalk and there is a huge screen there (not sure of the exact size but comparable to TLC Chinese IMAX but with better stadium-style seating). I got my tickets for next Wednesday; I was really surprised how many tickets were already bought up for some of the other days already!
Were you there yesterday? I saw it at the 4:15 screening, 4th row, and it was mind-blowing. Can't imagine seeing it cropped.

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front)
Klipsch RP-250C (Center)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #9 of 9 Old 07-28-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post
Were you there yesterday? I saw it at the 4:15 screening, 4th row, and it was mind-blowing. Can't imagine seeing it cropped.
No, I was there Wednesday morning in a surprisingly full theater. I was sold on the opening shot where it felt like I could walk into the picture--3D without all the drawbacks!

Great experience; those shots from the air really felt like looking out a plane window!
TrueDis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page