Dolby Cinema Now in 100 Locations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Dolby Cinema Now in 100 Locations

The number of Dolby Cinema locations around the world continues to grow, reaching the century mark this week with many more to come.

http://www.avsforum.com/dolby-cinema...ons-reach-100/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Finally one near me. I may have to check it out sometime. But only if it's a movie I really want to see. There will probably be a premium on the ticket prices though .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Finally one near me. I may have to check it out sometime. But only if it's a movie I really want to see. There will probably be a premium on the ticket prices though .
At the DV theater I go to (Burbank), the first showing of the day cost less and is worth the price.

But yeah, ticket prices are getting pretty outrageous.

post #4 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
At the DV theater I go to (Burbank), the first showing of the day cost less and is worth the price.

But yeah, ticket prices are getting pretty outrageous.
We shall see. That is not the normal theater I go to, so I have decide if it's going to be worth it. It's a bit more of a madhouse than where
I normally go.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #5 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 942
I'd have to drive a couple of hours to either Tampa or Miami to get to a Dolby Theater, which I'm contemplating doing this weekend to see Valerian, it's just hard to see from the theater websites which films are playing in the actual Dolby Cinema for each showtime. It looks like some may be pushing Valerian out quickly in favor of Dunkirk, and I don't really have any interest in that one.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #6 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Still nothing in the frozen and desolate wastelands of Canada
post #7 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I hope AMC's Chinese owners wrote Dolby Labs a huge check for the USA exclusivity. I still think it's a bad idea for Dolby Cinemas' reach to see the new technology. For me, the nearest Dolby Cinemas equipped AMC theaters are far out of reasonable driving distances.
post #8 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I've been to the Tysons Corner VA Dolby Theater several times now. As a whole the experience is great. But I've noticed that the picture looks really soft on occasion. I went to see Spider Man in the same complex on iMax and the picture was better overall than the Dolby presentation. At least when I judged it based on sharpness. I have not been that impressed with the picture. The sound is a whole different beast which is amazing.

Projector: Epson 5040ub DIY 130" Acoustic Screen
AVR: Onkyo RZ1100 (Main)
Blu-ray: PS4 -- Philips UHD Player
Speakers: 5.2.4 Atmos System with Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW (left, center,right)/Monoprice 8inch in-wall speakers(wides)/JBL AESS5-WH (surround)
Subwoofers: Dual Marty Cubes w/SI 18" - DIY Build w/SI 15"
post #9 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I've never been to a Dolby Vision theater. These theaters are probably fantastic, so I just looked up the locations of Dolby Vision theaters in NY and there is one in NYC....I then looked at the price to see Dunkirk in Dolby Vision....$23/ticket and then promptly said "no thanks". I'm sure it might be worth it, but for $46 for my wife and I to see a movie is a little too much. This does not even include and beverages or snacks...maybe add $15 for that....so for ~$60 for 2 people to see a movie? I don't think so. I would rather spend ~$25 for the UHD disc and watch on my LG OLED.....I would rather own the movie for much less....
stef2 likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
I've never been to a Dolby Vision theater. These theaters are probably fantastic, so I just looked up the locations of Dolby Vision theaters in NY and there is one in NYC....I then looked at the price to see Dunkirk in Dolby Vision....$23/ticket and then promptly said "no thanks". I'm sure it might be worth it, but for $46 for my wife and I to see a movie is a little too much. This does not even include and beverages or snacks...maybe add $15 for that....so for ~$60 for 2 people to see a movie? I don't think so. I would rather spend ~$25 for the UHD disc and watch on my LG OLED.....I would rather own the movie for much less....
Here in Texas 14 bucks a seat - 15 bucks a seat for prime time - lower for Matinee..
post #11 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Is there a date for when the AMC exclusive ends in the US?
post #12 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Dolby Atmos

There's a Dolby Atmos theatre where I live in Georgetown Washington, DC. The first 2 films I saw there made shake my rib cage, after that it seems the system is broken or just switched off. I asked one of the employees if they could check the system, maybe it was switched off or faulty. After my 3rd visit the excitement was like a dream. It never worked again.
post #13 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Some of them need to upgrade to 2 auditoriums. It sucks when 2 movies are released the same week. I guess im lucky with Tampa having two AMCs equipped with Dolby Cinemas. I can goto one and see Dunkirk and the other for Valerian. But I wish i could see them both in the same place

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
post #14 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
Some of them need to upgrade to 2 auditoriums. It sucks when 2 movies are released the same week. I guess im lucky with Tampa having two AMCs equipped with Dolby Cinemas. I can goto one and see Dunkirk and the other for Valerian. But I wish i could see them both in the same place
My Dolby Cinema auditorium is stuck with Girls Trip this week. It's not even a DV flick. Pass. Would have loved to see Valerian.
post #15 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Nothing here in Canada. I hope I can go see one Dolby Cinema movie in New York next year. Around where I live, the best theater is an IMAX and it sucks big time versus my dedicated HT...
post #16 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I'd have to drive a couple of hours to either Tampa or Miami to get to a Dolby Theater, which I'm contemplating doing this weekend to see Valerian, it's just hard to see from the theater websites which films are playing in the actual Dolby Cinema for each showtime. It looks like some may be pushing Valerian out quickly in favor of Dunkirk, and I don't really have any interest in that one.
Where are you located? There's one in Altamonte Springs if you ever make your way to Orlando.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...amonte-mall-18

Edit: AMC Disney Springs is also getting a Dolby Cinema conversion. I no longer see their ETX auditorium listed so they must have started the renovation. Maybe a few months...

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...ney-springs-24

Last edited by biliam1982; 07-22-2017 at 08:41 AM.
post #17 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
I've been to the Tysons Corner VA Dolby Theater several times now. As a whole the experience is great. But I've noticed that the picture looks really soft on occasion. I went to see Spider Man in the same complex on iMax and the picture was better overall than the Dolby presentation. At least when I judged it based on sharpness. I have not been that impressed with the picture. The sound is a whole different beast which is amazing.
I have been to numerous Dolby Cinemas and seen numerous films there. I agree with you and have two theories on this.

1. With this advanced technology in the Dolby (Rebadged and tweaked Christie's) projectors, we're actually starting to see the weaknesses in the source content. Some are shot/mastered/graded better than others.

2. The Dolby Cinemas in AMC Prime auditoriums have serious design flaws. One is that their ambient lighting needs to be controlled and directed more off the screen. That red glow from the emergency exit signs really degrade the contrast. I've seen a few screens where the whole thing was basked in it. Maybe they've fixed it, but idk.

Maybe not the whole reason with number 2, but perhaps combined with number 1 can cause some image softening to be more evident.
post #18 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycake View Post
Is there a date for when the AMC exclusive ends in the US?
It was never released publicly, but my guess would be closer to 10 years. See my post that expands on this.

Dolby Cinema Reaches 100 Released and Announced Titles

Quote:
Hey fellow Floridian, my post touches on this very subject. I don't see it happening though. To keep it special, marketable and profitable, they need to differentiate it from regular auditoriums and even Imax. Now if they saw Dolby auditoriums constantly selling out, people avoiding Imax, they may eventually drop Imax and convert that auditorium to a Dolby Cinema too. But I don't see that happening for years, in part due to licensing agreements with Imax and other markets where they would want to keep Imax.

Last edited by biliam1982; 07-22-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #19 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
I have been to numerous Dolby Cinemas and seen numerous films there. I agree with you and have two theories on this.

1. With this advanced technology in the Dolby (Rebadged and tweaked Christie's) projectors, we're actually starting to see the weaknesses in the source content. Some are shot/mastered/graded better than others.

2. The Dolby Cinemas in AMC Prime auditoriums have serious design flaws. One is that their ambient lighting needs to be controlled and directed more off the screen. That red glow from the emergency exit signs really degrade the contrast. I've seen a few screens where the whole thing was basked in it. Maybe they've fixed it, but idk.

Maybe not the whole reason with number 2, but perhaps combined with number 1 can cause some image softening to be more evident.
The one in Brandon is surprisingly dark compared to the Veterans in Tampa. Im sure it has to do with the conversion since the Brandon one is half the size and itsan older theater. There is almost no light glare on the screen. Veteran's was bad when it opened, I think they fixed it a little bit but its still there. I have complained to AMC about it. I have so thought about bringing in tape to slowly cover the lights

post #20 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
How does this differ than all the Cinemark theaters with Dolby surround sound?
post #21 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_tillerson View Post
How does this differ than all the Cinemark theaters with Dolby surround sound?
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/platforms/dolby-cinema.html

Clicking on the link in the first post would have provided the answer too.

For Sale JVC DLA-X750R/RS500 Projector includes two lamps

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-fr...l#post54970964
post #22 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I visited the new Dolby Cinema auditorium at the AMC River East 21 in Chicago for the 11:00 showing of "Dunkirk". They rebuilt the stadium seating for recliners (with motion). Especially with a second upper row of wheelchair seating, the number of seats must have been cut in half.

For comparison, before the show I watched about 10 minutes of the 10:00 show from 70mm film. Afterwards, I watched about 10 minutes of the 12:00 regular digital show. A rather small audience for Dolby Cinema, but the 70mm nearly filled a large auditorium.

At first I thought they were using a Sony 4K projector in 3D mode for previews. But the main show looked rather similar on the projection booth window. You can't get too close to the booth, but it appears that the two Christie projectors face each other, with one higher than the other. There are two mirrors in the middle to throw the image to the screen. I'd love to see some drawings or photos of this.

The really odd thing was that the end credits for Dunkirk were quite blurry even though the film appeared quite sharp. Perhaps the credits were sourced from lower quality material for some reason...
post #23 of 33 Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had my first experience with Dolby Cinema today and was underwhelmed I had high hopes but AMC Concord Mills 24 let my daughter and I down! There were two visible lines down the left and right hand sides of the screen a few feet in which were very noticeable during brighter scenes even some of the darker scenes. I will say, during several dark scenes, the technology shined and Valerian was beautiful. Dialogue could have been stepped up a few decibels but overall the audio aspect was very good, not great. I hope that the issue with the visual side is just at this theater and they have it fixed soon, otherwise, it is not worth the premium!
post #24 of 33 Old 07-23-2017, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 532
And still as per last article on Dolby Cinema I commented on, we're still waiting on someone roll the even first one out here in Aus... :yawn: One of these years it will happen I'm sure
post #25 of 33 Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
The one in Brandon is surprisingly dark compared to the Veterans in Tampa. Im sure it has to do with the conversion since the Brandon one is half the size and itsan older theater. There is almost no light glare on the screen. Veteran's was bad when it opened, I think they fixed it a little bit but its still there. I have complained to AMC about it. I have so thought about bringing in tape to slowly cover the lights
I haven't been to those yet. Maybe if I'm in that area one day.

Are you saying the Dolby Cinema Auditorium at the Brandon location is half the size of the one at the Veterans?
post #26 of 33 Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAR10 View Post
I had my first experience with Dolby Cinema today and was underwhelmed I had high hopes but AMC Concord Mills 24 let my daughter and I down! There were two visible lines down the left and right hand sides of the screen a few feet in which were very noticeable during brighter scenes even some of the darker scenes. I will say, during several dark scenes, the technology shined and Valerian was beautiful. Dialogue could have been stepped up a few decibels but overall the audio aspect was very good, not great. I hope that the issue with the visual side is just at this theater and they have it fixed soon, otherwise, it is not worth the premium!
They might have kept the old screen. Could have been caused from taking it down to install the new speakers and then re-stretching.

I would call the theater and ask as well as fill out a complaint form online. There's an option to check stating you would like to be contacted via email or phone. Usually one of the managers at the theater will respond.
BMAR10 likes this.
post #27 of 33 Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
I haven't been to those yet. Maybe if I'm in that area one day.

Are you saying the Dolby Cinema Auditorium at the Brandon location is half the size of the one at the Veterans?
Yes. Half the seating, slightly smaller screen

post #28 of 33 Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 153
There are two Dolby Cinemas only 3 miles apart in Seattle area but none in Portland :grumpy:

Σ Info: Δ 8.5' viewing distance AT screen fabrics comparison
Σ Builds:
Δ HT 2.0 renovation with acoustic coffered ceiling (in progress, 10% completed)
Δ Variable-aspect screen with motorized masking (on hold, have parts)
post #29 of 33 Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 128
For the love of god why NC doesn't have one is beyond me.....

JVC DLA-RS400U
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Denon AVRX6200W /Acurus A125x5
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Player
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #30 of 33 Old 07-26-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yes. Half the seating, slightly smaller screen
Thanks! I'll try and remember that if I ever get to that area.

So Veterans = bigger screen and twice the seats but still plagued by the red glow on the screen from emergency exit lights?

Brandon = only slightly smaller screen and half the seats with no red glow?

BTW, I love your idea about bringing some electrical tape to cover the lights ourselves... if only it wasn't a federal offense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby cinema , dolby vision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page