OFFICIAL LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Review Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 144 Old 08-29-2003, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I often advice to tone down the subwoofer channel level on the A/V receivers (of course, calibration is required) and use subs with plenty of headroom and if not enough, add another one, preferably identical and next to the first one.

you will understand this encoded preEQ here :
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...5/bladeii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 03:23 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

I have to say I'm pretty dissapointed with the PQ, colors seem undersaturated compared to the theater and detail is lacking for the most part. I understand the bit rate issue but just wish they spanned it across two discs, but I guess the EE version will take care of that issue for me. Sound is top notch though!
post #93 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for posting that Erik!

I rented TTT last week here in Germany, and thought that my 2 year old Sanyo XW15 FP was finally starting to give up the ghost. Based on your screenshots, its doing just fine! Wow, what a difference from DVD to HDTV.

Makes me feel like the 80Euro R2 DVD player feeding a single composite signal to my FP is not too shabby...

Great movie, but I'll wait to purschase the EE, if any.

cheers
Kurt

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Garci
I created a web page that compares The Two Towers DVD to what it would look like in HDTV.
Lord of the Rings: HDTV vs DVD

EDIT: Here is a link to the other thread.
LOTR screenshots: HDTV vs. DVD
post #94 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I also am looking forward to seeing TTT on HD-PPV next month. September 26th is the tentative start date.
I'm going to draw a pentagram around my AVX-1, burn candles, and sacrifice a small animal or two if necessary to get a good recording. Hopefully they'll reshow FOTR as well, so I can get that one recorded, since my 169time system wasn't stable enough to get the first one.

Hopefully Showtime will reshow the first and show the second, with correct AR.

I hate now that I watched the previews of ROTK, because it looks like it's going to be way too good, and I hate to wait now.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #95 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Just chilled and watched TT yesterday. I only saw it once in the theaters because some of the changes from the book really pissed me off. I also had to see it in theater with an x-friend and my hateful emotions and the amount of alcohol I drank before made it a long, harsh experience. :)

Watching it alone at home, I really love this movie now, and the changes don't bother me at all! I liked seeing Osgiliath getting pounded! Now I truly cannot wait for the extended version, for the new Boromir/Faramir scenes looked truly awesome!

I told myself I would not watch the ROTK preview, but I broke down and did last night. Luckily, when I woke this morning, I couldn't remember a damned bit of it, due to the huge amount of alcohol, etc that I had. Wonderful!!!

King Rygar
post #96 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Crown of Iron

I told myself I would not watch the ROTK preview, but I broke down and did last night. Luckily, when I woke this morning, I couldn't remember a damned bit of it, due to the huge amount of alcohol, etc that I had. Wonderful!!!
Speaking of the ROTK trailer, how many people caught this???
(WARNING- HUGE spoiler ahead)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

At some point it was mentioned- was it Gandalf??- that Sauron was convinced that Pippin had the ring. Pippin???? That's a huge change from the book. What, does Pippin look into the Palantir? Heck, didn't Frodo SHOW the ring to the Nazgul at the end of TTT? What's up???

Still, I think ROTK will rock harder than anything that has rocked before :D

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #97 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Hey crown, sounds like you need to dry out a bit...lol :O)
post #98 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwheeler
Hey crown, sounds like you need to dry out a bit...lol :O)
Will he be changing his handle to "Crown (of) Royal" is my question :D :D

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #99 of 144 Old 09-01-2003, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Fred ...

I would not call that a "major" change from the book ... And I've read and reread the books several times :cool:

HDC
post #100 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Fred ...

I would not call that a "major" change from the book ... And I've read and reread the books several times :cool:

HDC
Spoiler  

Well, the end result will be the same- the distraction of Sauron from the ring's true path. I think PJ may have been forced into the change given how weak he has made Aragorn so his character can "grow". Aragorn in the book was sure of his destiny and used the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron wrongly assumed Aragorn would never dare do that without the power of the ring behind him. This is my biggest beef with PJ and his adaptation. It's the Hollywood conceit that characters can't just be noble and confident to begin with (if they are good); they must be conflicted and frightened- of destiny, of whatever- and then "arc". For me it's just a quibble; I love the movies. But it was Tolkien's worst apprehension, apparently, that just that sort of tinkering would occur with his characters, and it has.

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #101 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering what scenes/chapters would you guys consider demo material for video/audio quality, if any?

Go Broncos!
post #102 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm not sure if I'm imagining or what. It seems that two scenes were cut short from what I remember in the movie.

In the scene where gollum is in the river looking for fish I thought in the movie he got one (could be from the making of ?)

In the scene with the Ents and the two hobbits they were going to see the white wizard to make sure that they weren't orcs but they never see him and then make reference later on to Gandolf saying they were OK ? Did my DVD player skip ahead or was that not also in the movie ?

Regards,
Steve
post #103 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
No, it didn't skip.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #104 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Hheheh I dried out for about 3 days straight!!! lol these are stressful times, and as Frodo says in Fellowship of the Ring (Book)

"Yo Ho Ho to the bottle I go, to ease my worries and drown my woe.."

Ok that is no excuse!! :)

Anyways, them thinking pippin had the ring is almost right. But so many other things were changed/left totally out of the TT movie, it really doesn't matter now :(

Let the stones fly, but Bakshi's version was WAY more honorable towards the book, Christopher Tolkien approved and LOVED Bakshi's visuals, but refuses to watch the new ones because of the changes that also enraged me in TT. Fellowship was easy with changes, TT just went on a damn rampage of all kind of crap happening that just wasn't there, but, I like TT now, even with the near fatal changes. But, I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too, but I can have my bottle and drink it too!!! :)

Speaking of Crown, I destroyed (drank fast) a 5th 1/2 the other day. My friend asked me "Are you racing yourself?"

Back to my Yager!

King Rygar
post #105 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Crown of Iron
TT just went on a damn rampage of all kind of crap happening that just wasn't there, but, I like TT now, even with the near fatal changes.
The only changes that made me gringe a bit were:

1) The ridiculous prolongation of Faramir's "temptation." (guess he need screen time)

2) If I remember correctly, the Elves (Sons of Elrond) didn't join in the fight until Pellenor Fields.

3) No Huorns at Helms Deep

On the plus side: Gollum's schizoid epsiode was enough to make me forgive the above (for now anyway.)

Time will tell how well things get rapped up in ROTK. I don't see how things could be done better, unless you filmed it as an episodic TV show shown over several seasons.

HDC
post #106 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 10:48 AM

Huorns are gona be in the EE. I thought Gollum caught the fish in the theater.
post #107 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Anyways, them thinking pippin had the ring is almost right. But so many other things were changed/left totally out of the TT movie, it really doesn't matter now
In the book, if memory servers, the implication is that Sauron just assumes that the ring has gone to Gondor. He knows Hobbits have it, and suddenly a Hobbit shows up in Gondor (and he probably has spies in Gondor, not to mention the games the steward is playing with the Palantir), and he knows Aragorn is back and, in judging others by his own power mad standards, assumes he will claim the ring and reclaim his throne in Gondor. So there is every reason for Sauron to believe that the ring has gone to Gondor, and that is one of the reasons he moves so quickly against it, so try to capture it before the Ring's new master can get control of it and build up his defenses.

They may have over-personalized it in the film, since I doubt Sauron is reading a person history of Pippin, but he clearly does think or suspect that the halfing ring bearer has gone to the only place that can offer a real threat to him, and pushes his plans forward, which plays into Gandalf's plan because of course they want to keep Sauron's eye towards Gondor and away from his own neighborhood.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #108 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 11:04 AM

Spoiler  
The reason that Sauron suspects Pippin has the ring is because Pippin foolishly looked into the Palantir lost from Orthanc and Sauron saw him through it.
post #109 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... these are spoilers for the next movie for those of us who haven't read the book. Please put a notice. :-)

Go Broncos!
post #110 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 12:59 PM

My apologies. Sometimes I just assume people have read the books :-/
post #111 of 144 Old 09-02-2003, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vmark
My apologies. Sometimes I just assume people have read the books :-/
Your assesment is correct anyway ....
post #112 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Spoiler alert

Don't forget the Ent-moot. The Ents decided to help because they already knew the trees were being destroyed by Saruman. They did not need to be tricked by Pippin into seeing the damage. Absolutely no need to change this.

Also, the ruler of gondor was NOT posessed!! He was tricked by Wormtongue using words/trickery only. A more interesting visual which can be forgiven.

Chris

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #113 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Spoiler  

The reason that Sauron suspects Pippin has the ring is because Pippin foolishly looked into the Palantir lost from Orthanc and Sauron saw him through it.
Spoiler  

More importantly, he thinks that the Palantir was Saruman's and that therefore Saruman has the hobbit and possibly the ring, but Saruman doesn't have it, which further leads to the fog of war.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #114 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Let the stones fly, but Bakshi's version was WAY more honorable towards the book, Christopher Tolkien approved and LOVED Bakshi's visuals
Which just proves that Christopher Tolkien doesn't know **** about film making. Bakshi's version was completely unwatchable dreck. And the shameful way CJRT has behaved toward his children and grandchildren because they dared to profess excitement over the current movies only goes to show he's become a complete crank.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #115 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Also, the ruler of gondor was NOT posessed!! He was tricked by Wormtongue using words/trickery only. A more interesting visual which can be forgiven.
You mean Rohan.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #116 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Chris, that was one change in the movie that I have the hardest time getting over. Why did Merry and Pippen have to fool Treebeard to go to Isengard? It was poinless and is was a lame way to do it. Yeah, trick one of the oldest and wisest beings on Middle Earth to go to Isengard instead of his intended path, to do what "Stay closer to harm and Further from Danger"? Why did Peter do that?

Brian

PC Load Letter...What the **** does that mean!?
post #117 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
He did it because otherwise Merry and Pippen aren't doing anything other than being dragged around by Treebeard. The change makes them more active participants in what is happening. The idea of them causing the Entmoot gets the idea across in the book, but even there they aren't doing much, and in a film medium I believe PJ wanted them to be active rather than passive participants in the overthrow of Isengard.

That's not to say I agree with it (though I don't find it as objectionable as others, apparently), but I would bet lots of moolah that that's PJ's reasoning behind the change.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #118 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
David, that is exactly right. Jackson has stated so in print and interviews. I don't much like it, but it is understandable why he did it.

Quote:
Which just proves that Christopher Tolkien doesn't know **** about film making. Bakshi's version was completely unwatchable dreck.
A-men to that.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #119 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, well explain why he threw Aragorn off a cliff.

Brian

PC Load Letter...What the **** does that mean!?
post #120 of 144 Old 09-03-2003, 04:28 PM

For an excuse to give Liv Tyler some screen time in the second film. *groan*
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page