• 2 Post By Scott Wilkinson

post #1 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Blade Runner in Dolby Cinema

In anticipation of the sequel, the original Blade Runner was screened last night in my local Dolby Cinema. How does this classic hold up after 35 years?

http://www.avsforum.com/blade-runner-dolby-cinema/
dan4081 and dnoonie like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 5129 Post(s)
Liked: 3608
Quote:
I was surprised to hear lots of activity in the overhead speakers, especially the sound of the incessant rain. Also, the music was often spread throughout the immersive soundfield. The remix from 2007 could not have been done in Atmos, which wasn’t available then, so perhaps what I heard was a Dolby Surround upmix.
Blade Runner: The Final Cut came out on 4K UHD a month ago with a new Atmos re-mix. Could this be what you heard at the Dolby Cinema?

Sanjay
post #3 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Blade Runner: The Final Cut came out on 4K UHD a month ago with a new Atmos re-mix. Could this be what you heard at the Dolby Cinema?
Probably; I forgot it had come out on UHD Blu-ray with an Atmos soundtrack. In fact, Ralph Potts reviewed the UHD Blu-ray here. But the cover art also says HDR, and Ralph commented in his review that the HDR looked great. Sadly, the screening I saw last night certainly wasn't HDR.

I've updated the article accordingly; thanks for reminding me about the UHD Blu-ray release!

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 10-05-2017 at 03:24 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Probably; I forgot it had come out on UHD Blu-ray with an Atmos soundtrack. In fact, Ralph Potts reviewed the UHD Blu-ray here. But the cover art also says HDR, and Ralph commented in his review that the HDR looked great. Sadly, the screening I saw last night certainly wasn't HDR.

I've updated the article accordingly; thanks for reminding me about the UHD Blu-ray release!
The iTunes release of Blade Runner The Final Cut is in Dolby Vision. Could that grading be exclusive to Apple?

LG 65E6p | Oppo BDP-203 and 103D | ATV5
Mirage OMD-28 (LR) | OMD-C2 (C) | OMD-5 (SS, FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | MX-A5000 x 2
SVS PB12Plus/2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP miniDSP2x4
Monster Power HTPS 2000
post #5 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Nice write-up. Ive always really liked Blade Runner. Looking forward to the new one. Id love it see it in Dolby Vision if I get a chance too.

JBL Pro Cinema-JTR subwoofers-Sony projection-Elite AT screen-Denon AVR-Oppo BD player-Acoustimac panels-SeatCraft HT seating
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #6 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
The iTunes release of Blade Runner The Final Cut is in Dolby Vision. Could that grading be exclusive to Apple?
It looks like the Ultraviolet version is also in DV: https://hd-report.com/2017/09/07/bla...-vision-atmos/
post #7 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Upset with myself that missed this at my local DC. I thought the Wednesday night showing was for the new one, which I already bought tickets for *next* Wednesday. Oh well, I own it on Vudu with DV and Atmos.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-06-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

With all due respect, I think it's very unlikely that what you saw was from a bluray source. Most commercial cinemas are not setup to play blurays, let alone UHD blurays. Cinemas almost exclusively use DCP's as their format and I bet what you saw was an older 2k DCP that was probably created around the same time Blade Runner was remastered for regular bluray. I think the explanation for the hight information is that they had their surround processor set to synthesize all those extra channels from a 7.1 source.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Yup, an Atmos track on the UHD is an indicator that the studio did a recent re-mix, which is likely the audio track you heard, since commercial cinemas (at least here in the US) don't use surround processing on the featured presentation.

Sanjay
post #10 of 20 Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The bigger question is why is it so hard to find out info on what we're paying so much money for?

Seeing the Final Cut and 2049 is costing the wife and me about $100!

And the editor of AVS Forum doesn't even have an easy way to find out if the movie he saw was in 2K? 4K? HDR? Atmos?...
post #11 of 20 Old 10-06-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post
With all due respect, I think it's very unlikely that what you saw was from a bluray source. Most commercial cinemas are not setup to play blurays, let alone UHD blurays. Cinemas almost exclusively use DCP's as their format and I bet what you saw was an older 2k DCP that was probably created around the same time Blade Runner was remastered for regular bluray. I think the explanation for the hight information is that they had their surround processor set to synthesize all those extra channels from a 7.1 source.
Of course, I know that commercial cinemas don't play Blu-rays, or even UHD Blu-rays, directly. What I meant was that an Atmos soundtrack had been created for the UHD Blu-ray release, so they probably used that mix, or a variation thereof, in the DCP. Alternatively, they could have used the commercial Dolby Atmos processor to upmix a 5.1 or 7.1 mix into the overhead channels, though I don't know for sure if the commercial processor can do that.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 20 Old 10-06-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
The bigger question is why is it so hard to find out info on what we're paying so much money for?

Seeing the Final Cut and 2049 is costing the wife and me about $100!

And the editor of AVS Forum doesn't even have an easy way to find out if the movie he saw was in 2K? 4K? HDR? Atmos?...
Well, it's rare that the resolution of the DCP is revealed to me or anyone else not directly connected to the movie. I do have more connections to ask than most consumers, and I can try to find out about this particular case. But it was obvious to me just by looking and listening that the image was not HDR and the soundtrack was Atmos.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 20 Old 10-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
The digital download from the 4K UHD disc is in 4K with Dolby Vision on Vudu as well. This is one instance where HDR10 (on the disc) looks far better than what the DV version gives us. I am wondering if it was even meant to be seen in DV in the first place since Warner did only HDR10.
Just my thought.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, it's rare that the resolution of the DCP is revealed to me or anyone else not directly connected to the movie. I do have more connections to ask than most consumers, and I can try to find out about this particular case. But it was obvious to me just by looking and listening that the image was not HDR and the soundtrack was Atmos.
Scott, please know that was in no way a criticism of you. Rather, an indictment on the theaters and studios, who do not make information about their product available, even though we are willing to pay premium prices...

My other rant while I'm at it is "why is it so hard to book seats in advance?". I can't make 2049 this weekend but screening dates for the following week will not be released until mid-week. For those of us that need to travel distances to these premium theaters, we need to make arrangements. A few years ago I booked the tickets to The Force Awakens like 6 weeks in advance, so it could be done. But lately I'm missing out on shows because I can't prearrange travel by the time the listings appear. Frustrating...
post #15 of 20 Old 10-07-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Saw the BR/BR 2049 "double-feature" Thursday night...and was pleasantly surprised with the audio...in both releases (lots of overhead activity).
The BR mix was definitely the most active I've ever heard...and the BR 2049 mix was even better. The video was very "clean"...which I assume is a result of the digital presentation (never seen a 1982 vintage movie look that good on a big screen).
The stories work well back-to-back, but I have no idea how such hard-core Sci-Fi (not to mention R-rated) will fare with the masses.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #16 of 20 Old 10-07-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Alternatively, they could have used the commercial Dolby Atmos processor to upmix a 5.1 or 7.1 mix into the overhead channels, though I don't know for sure if the commercial processor can do that.
Cannot do that (no upmixing built into the CP-850).

Sanjay
post #17 of 20 Old 10-07-2017, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Kinda what I thought...thanks!

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #18 of 20 Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Ahh, interesting thank you!
post #19 of 20 Old 10-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Scott, I and I think many others here would love to read some more behind the scenes info about the theaters you go to. I wonder if it would be possible to setup prescreening interviews with the projectionists?

Also, I stand corrected about it being in atmos
post #20 of 20 Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Saw the BR/BR 2049 "double-feature" Thursday night...and was pleasantly surprised with the audio...in both releases (lots of overhead activity).
The BR mix was definitely the most active I've ever heard...and the BR 2049 mix was even better. The video was very "clean"...which I assume is a result of the digital presentation (never seen a 1982 vintage movie look that good on a big screen).
The stories work well back-to-back, but I have no idea how such hard-core Sci-Fi (not to mention R-rated) will fare with the masses.
Sadly the masses didn't show any interest in this one. It was mainly seen by those of us who saw the original in theaters or have become fans of it after the fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
blade runner , dolby atmos , dolby cinema

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page