How to make a guest jump out of their seat? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
28 Days Later

has some good scary moments.

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
In regards to the aformentioned crash in "Adaptation". Have you guys also seen "Punch Drunk Love"? I dont have a sub in my setup yet but from what I can tell, the crash near the beginning of this movie would be pretty cool as well. Can anyone verify?
post #33 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe nobody has mentioned FINAL DESTINY!!! Both films 1 and 2 are the best horror movies in recent memory. They are brilliant post-modern teen slasher films.

The sound and video are first rate, but what really gets you is the cleverness of how the cast meets their doom. Everybody dies by some type of bizarre accident that you never see coming. The premis is they are cursed because they "cheated death" by avoiding a dangerous situation that they had a premonition about. I don't care how jaded a film viewer you are. All of the deaths will make you jump out of your seat!

An honorable mention would be in the first Blade when the vampire wakes up and kills the doctor.

Somebody also mentioned the Fight Club. The airplane crash is superb and terrifying.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill

post #34 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

My vote goes to "Pitch Black". The opening with the space ship being pelted with small rocks (which kills the Captain in his sleep) and then the descent towards the planet and then the landing itself. Make sure you are in the dts mode and have your sub on.

Others are Godzilla and Armageddon.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #35 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Want to make your guests jump out of their seats ? Easy, tell them how much you've spent on this silly hobby of ours. :D

Sergio Rivera - "It can always look better."
post #36 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 02:41 PM

You want a Guaranteed way of having guests jump out of their seats, in virtually any movie? I installed bass shakers into my couch, and prior to then people liked the 5.1 I had, but nothing truly got them to jump put of thier seats, not matter what movie or how loud I played it, but when I got bass shakers, I kid you not, the first time someone experiences bass shakers and they aren't expecting it, thye JUMP out of their seats. I mean jump and walk away 3 feet and stare at the couch in amazement, like something just bit them lol. Bass shakers are very inexpensive to install and they added more to my movie watching experience then even going to my 120" front projection ever did, I kid you not. I wasn't happy with my home theater till I got bass shakers, and for the total investment of less than $200, I'm a VERY happy camper.
post #37 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 03:46 PM

I think someone posted this in a list but I have to second Signs. I liked the movie better than most people, so I may be biased, but there were times where my skin was definitely crawling. Towards the end in the basement sent me through the roof.

TM
post #38 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad_Dracule
In regards to the aformentioned crash in "Adaptation". Have you guys also seen "Punch Drunk Love"? I dont have a sub in my setup yet but from what I can tell, the crash near the beginning of this movie would be pretty cool as well. Can anyone verify?
interesting you should ask...I just saw Punch drunk last night :) yep the car crash, semi speeding by and a few other scences were HUGE on the makes you jump factor for this type of movie.

Still Adaptation is the one due to the camera angle, unexpectedness, sound that is all too real. I have been in a couple crashes (not that bad) and it really reminded me of the real thing.

For me these are the real make you jump type scenes...horror movies and the like, you know it is coming just not when. Adaptation (and even Punch Drunk) had scenes that were a total blindside! Plus these movies appeal to a different audience.

Paul Taatjes
post #39 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 62
OK, I have to admit, I have heard of bass shakers plenty of times before in forums like this, but I still haven't seen a link to the manufacture. Are there differents manufactures?

Less than $200? Where?

Chet
post #40 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 05:55 PM

How do bass shakers work? Are they like subs.... connected to speakers or amps... if so, what type of connection? Do they have to be installed or stuck onto chairs or do they work by being on the floor near the chair? What brand or model was yours that cost less than $200?

Are they the same as tactile inducers?

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
post #41 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Kir
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by ckenisell
OK, I have to admit, I have heard of bass shakers plenty of times before in forums like this, but I still haven't seen a link to the manufacture. Are there differents manufactures?

Less than $200? Where?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=330436
post #42 of 95 Old 12-22-2003, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, that link doesn't really tell me the manufacturer, but I did a search on Google and I think the only manufacture is Aura. Is that right?

Chet
post #43 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 209
From reading several onlinel reviews, my understanding of "bass shakers" is that units manufactured by CLARK SYNTHESIS are the best of the bunch, especially considering that they just lowered their list-pricing across the board....
However, it appears that all "bass shakers" need at least a minimum of 200 watts RMS amp (mono, obviously), which would bring the total price of the combo to close to/ at least $500.
In one of the reviews i read, i believe on "Secrets of Home Theater", the reviewer was quite shocked when he felt those low bass frequencies, as well as subsonic signals, racing through his body as soon as the LFE channel came into play, and he said it made the "suspension of disbelief" that much more enjoyable, however he also pointed out that for listening to music, he felt that tie experience with "bass shakers" was somewhat disconcerting....
post #44 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

I can tell you from experience with both the Clark's and Buttkicker 2's that the BK2's are the best that I've experienced. They are the most powerful ones on the market by far and they go the lowest in frequency. I liked the Clark's also but it's great having all of the headroom from the Buttkicker's 2100 watt amp to deal with. Knowing that I don't have to do any maintenance or worry about recking it with too much power is a relief. Basically, the things can do the work of 3 to 6 Clarks. If you like to really feel the bass, get one! They are very addictive! If you want to get the most bang for your buck, start with Aura Bass Shakers, alot of members here love them and they can be had for cheap. Check partsexpress.com for a great price! For the Clark's (the next step up) check clarksynthesis.com for their authorized (3) authorized dealers. For the Buttkicker 2's, I purchased mine from smarthome.com. They had the best price for me plus 10% off with their christmas catalog code. Good luck and good vibrations!
post #45 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

How hot do these things get? My couch is fully apulstered (spelling) and if I pull it back to install them, and then re-apulster, is the heat buildup going to be too much? I don't want to burn down my house because I wanted to fill a little vibration.

Also, every time I think of these bass shakers, I can't help but think of the movie Private Parts when Howard Stern gets that chick to sit on the speaker and he gives her an orgasm. LOL

Chet
post #46 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 07:36 AM

[quote]Originally posted by ckenisell
[b]That Korean version looks fantastic. I have never purchased any DVDs other than region 1 so let me ask some questions:[list][*]Will region 3 discs play in my region 1 DVD players?

Region 3 Superbits play in Region 1 players. Don't ask me why, I just know that I buy them because they are cheaper than region 1 superbits and every one I purchased works fine.

Superbits are the only region 3 discs I've ever gotten to work.
post #47 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you REALLY want to experience something (and you have a little dough stashed away) you ought to try the Odyssee Motion Simulator system from D-Box Technologies . Not only do you get vibration effects, but you also get motion that is specifically encoded to the movie. Any movie that has car chases or flying sequences are truly amazing. Even the weightlessness of space scenes is reproduced as if you are really floating.

Some of the movies mentioned in this thread take on a whole new dimension with the Odyssee system. The crash scenes in Pitch Black and Final Destination are really incredible. After watching them with the Odyssee, I feel like I need to see the Chiropractor :)

Phil
post #48 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 01:25 PM

One of the DVDs I like for a sound jolt is U-571. Quiet. Explosion. Quiet. Explosion. Quiet. Explosion.
Underwater flicks can offer cool surround effects. Try The Abyss and Das Boot as well.

IMHO
post #49 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you are serious, you will have tactile transducers... they are absolutely neccessary... see link below.

I demoed the D-Box system, finally, 2 weeks ago at Ovature in Wilmington, DE... It is very expensive but obviously a high performance item. I demoed only the IMAX speedway with the Odessey system... I'll have to go back again to check out movies or such.... I will consider how to incorporate the Oddessey or a similar system in 2-3 years, or whenever I get to buy a new house and build a custome theater room, hopefully.

Nonetheless, Buttkickers and class D-amps are something EVERYBODY should incorporate. See link below.

Oh. and Clarke Synthesis is NOT in the same league as Buttkicker's. Clarke has MISCONCEPTIONS about tactile transduction. Again, this is all addresses in the link below, including the physiology.
post #50 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 02:56 PM

No way guys, I got the whole setup of my bass shaker system for less than $200, and you'll have some serious rumble. I got al my stuff from PartsExpress.com. I bought two pairs of 25Watt bass shakers ($30 per pair, Aura brand) and a 100 watt sub amplifier ($100), and $5 shipping. All of it for $164, plus add speaker wire if you don't have any. I wired it into one of the two sub pre-outs on my reciever (one goes to sub, one goes to bass shakers) and it rules. They're basically these two 8" round discs, that are about 3-4" deep and you screw it to the couch (be it on the inside, or outside or under, but some part of the structure). They don't get hot, mine NEVER do, always cool to the touch even after a few movies or CDs. The reason I bought two pairs is that I have two couches, and believe me, even though they are 25W each, they can ROCK a couch, lol, more than you'd really want for a movie sometimes, but the amp has a volume knob so you can adjust it to your liking and comfort. It definately adds life to ANY soundtrack which has LFE. and for $164 shippied, how can you go wrong, if you don't like it, you can always sell it on the forum and likely get almost all of your money back. But from the people that have them, most will tell you it was one of the best "cheap" mods to a home theater system. ;) your call.
post #51 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Again, there is no contest between Buttkickers and other brands on the market. This is a no contest, not even close kind of difference. See link below for any details.
post #52 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Chris, I have my Odyssee actuators simply attached to the four corners of my LazyBoy love seat recliners, no platforms necessary. If you ever make it back to AZ, I would be happy to give you a demo.

Phil
post #53 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Phil,

Sounds good...

Chris
post #54 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Health Nut, Overture has the odyssee?! If so, I have to get down there just to see how that thing works! I can't imagine how it must feel to use one!
post #55 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 08:09 PM

I was slow as hell to reply to this one but there has always been a "startling" scene I liked to show people when they first checked out my theatre setup...

In the movie Fight Club there is a scene when Edward Norton is on an airplane talking about his "single serving friends" and speaking to the african american lady on one of the flights... Its a nice calm conversation he is having and then all of a sudden he invisions the plane getting hit by another plane and it goes from quiet and tame to instant insanity when the plane gets hit... its like unpausing a fully turned up stereo abruptly.

That one always gets people to jump if they are not familiar with the scene and hell I have even gotten people to jump who have seen the movie 15 times... Id recommend it if you wanna startle someone :cool:
post #56 of 95 Old 12-23-2003, 10:53 PM

Scenes where someone knocks on the door and the sound comes from other than the front, always if not often, spooks out my wife. Can't pinpoint an example of a title though.

Also, I remember the first time I saw Desperado and the sound of a baby crying, coming from the rear right (or was it left) made me stare at my wife for a second or two in disbelief (eh... was that real or is it me?).

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
post #57 of 95 Old 12-24-2003, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Watch the Easter egg of the deadly video on "The ring". Then when you go back to the main menu, just wait for it...

Might not even be in the surround speakers, but it comes in with enough clarity to be quite spooky.

My Brain hurts!
post #58 of 95 Old 12-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad_Dracule
I mentioned Adaptation, but it was actually the Punch Drunk Love crash that I was thinking about. Lots of impact. As far as spooky, I liked the use of the surround channels in Donnie Darko for when Frank the Bunny talked - it made it seem like it was coming from inside your (or Donnie's) head.
post #59 of 95 Old 12-24-2003, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by 90c4
I mentioned Adaptation, but it was actually the Punch Drunk Love crash that I was thinking about. Lots of impact. As far as spooky, I liked the use of the surround channels in Donnie Darko for when Frank the Bunny talked - it made it seem like it was coming from inside your (or Donnie's) head.

The (engine) crash sounds good too

edit for addition of ENGINE

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #60 of 95 Old 12-24-2003, 09:43 AM

Live from Bagdad would be my choice to show to people if you have a nice system. The scene where the bombs first start to drop is really impressive. My wife was in a different part of the house and came running in and asked me what the hell was that, she thought a car had hit the house. Not a bad movie either with Micheal Keaton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page