Another movie for the Time Machine thread crowd: Primer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2004, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
An intriguing indie (made on film for $7000?!) about a group of Dallas techno-geeks who invent something that it turns out seems to be able project matter back in time. Before you can say "Tom Swift" they've made one large enough for a person to get in, and thereby hangs the tale. Paradoxes abound. They sit and watch other versions of themselves with binoculars. And then it starts to get really strange...

About as easy to follow as Memento, and certain to not play widely throughout our great country, this is nevertheless one to catch for sci-fi fans. Just don't expect much in the ways of special effects.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/primer/about.php

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2004, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In what role did they cast Salma? :D

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Seven thousand lousy dollars? That's about equal to what the studios probably pay for Tom Cruise's haircut, isn't it? Unbelievable.

Sure does sound interesting. I wonder if it will ever make it to DVD? I would sure like to see it.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Seven thousand lousy dollars? That's about equal to what the studios probably pay for Tom Cruise's haircut, isn't it? Unbelievable.
Actually $7K was the budget for the food, coffee, and bagel budget for the planning meetings that were tasked with the conceptual design for Tom Cruise's haircut.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Old 11-05-2004, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaded Dogfood
About as easy to follow as Memento,
I don't find that an accurate comparison. Memento was twisty but coherent. Primer was an intriguing movie, but the last act was completely indecipherable. Not just because the concept was complex, but because the filmmakers don't provide enough narrative information for the audience to follow what's happening. All of that stuff about "reverse engineering the perfect moment" needed more set-up for the payoff to mean anything, which it just plain doesn't.

Memento also had characters whose names you could remember and who were more than just ciphers to move the plot points along. Primer doesn't.

I didn't dislike Primer, and for $7,000 it's a pretty ambitious achievement, but with some cleaner scripting it could have been something really great, as opposed to just an interesting experiment.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
Actually $7K was the budget for the food, coffee, and bagel budget for the planning meetings that were tasked with the conceptual design for Tom Cruise's haircut.
That sad part about it is that it's probably not just a joke. :D
Old 11-05-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Primer was an intriguing movie, but the last act was completely indecipherable.

Granted, it's pretty incoherent. But it had sort of the logic of insanity, as the film became more and more crazy as it went on, as the experiment drove the protagonists insane.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It appears at the end that the two had gone back to before they had even invented the machine, with the blonde guy sticking around to prevent "the other guys" (themselves) from being able to invent it, and the other character (the filmmaker) apparently constructing a really big one overseas with a bunch of French guys (I think they were French).
In an odd way, it seemed that to make it more specific as to what was going on might have subtracted from it rather than adding to it.

I do agree it could have been a bit clearer. It obviously needs more than one viewing. Still, an encouraging effort and example for those people who long to break into the movies.

CW Hinkle
Old 11-06-2004, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Some of the best movies I've seen were made pretty cheap. I was watching Ed Wood the other night and they made a good point in the movie about why some people are able to make movies cheaper than others, they dont waste money away on caterers and nice shiny office buildings for all the execs. You gotta wonder, when a movie spends 100 million how much of that was directly spent on the film?

Johnny
Old 11-06-2004, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Often the actors are grossly overpaid too. And that's as much our fault as anyone's. We (I mean collectively) will buy a movie ticket because a grossly overpaid actor is in the cast. That's mostly why their grossly overpaid.