AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Hi!

MOVIE: Titan: After Earth
GENRE: Scifi animation (cell/CGI), takes place in year 3028

Usually, I do not comment on movies that I have watched, but I must say that I am looking forward to the DVD release of Titan:After Earth. Okay, that's a while later on, but, I had to keep it on topic!

The movie, is easily the best traditional cell animation (combined with CGI or otherwise) that I have ever seen, and easily beats the Dreamworks animation such as Prince of Egypt in my opinion.

If you have not seen the film in the theater, and you like scifi, you should go see it. It will please Star Wars fans - or even just plain scifi fans who at least somewhat likes animation. If you're not sure about animation but if you at least "liked" Toy Story or Toy Story 2 a little bit, then you'll have no problem with this movie. There is a HEAVY amount of CGI for the backgrounds. It is a visual feast for the eyes - lots of very 3-dimensional CGI special effects thrown in - especially the outer space sequences. Very scifi and lots of fun - the movie was even better than the trailer suggested it would be. Do not judge based on the trailer - the trailer made it sound somewhat initially corny, but the movie was less corny than I expected! The resolution of the film was incredible, even on common multiplex quality prints - for the first time in a few months, I never got distracted by film defects a single time. With the way things are going at Fox for DVD transfers of their *recent* films, I expect Fox should be able to do a 5-star reference quality DVD transfer of this film - virtually guaranteed in the Tarzan/A Bug's Life/Prince Of Egypt league.

I believe Fox upped the ante - A new new benchmark for other studios to beat for cell animation!

WARNING: Even though this is animation, this movie is PG rated for violence, brief language, mild sensuality. This isn't a little kid's cartoon.

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited June 22, 2000).]

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2000, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark,

I agree with your "review" of Titan A.E. I also want to see it on DVD. It is not often we get any kind of animation in Panavision 2.35.

I did notice that much of the movie is dark. Now I don't know if it was the film itself or the theater that I saw it at.

Lee
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2000, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw "Titan" the other day and while much of the movie looks good, it was overall, a disappointment. It will probably make a pretty good looking DVD, but I'll pass on it.
Now if you want to see an absolutly GREAT animated film (or just plain movie for that matter), check out "Toy Story 2".
I think this is coming out on DVD soon, but I saw it in the theater last year. It is just WONDERFUL!!!!!!
I think it should have been up for "Best Picture".
I loved the first "toy Story", but "2" is even better.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2000, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Hi,

I have seen both Toy Story and Toy Story 2 at the theaters - I plan to get the DVD's - but I also enjoyed Titan:AE equally as much.

Toy Story 2 is certainly the best 100% CGI that I have seen, though.
Titan:AE is the best hybrid CGI and cell animation that I have seen.

There were some spots (about three or four sequences, lasting a few seconds each) where animation dropped to 12 frames per second, but nearly the whole movie was 24 frames per second. I had wondered why they included one of these 12 frame per second animation sequences in the movie trailer - it really hurts the trailer. This is the only big gripe I can remember having, but my IMDB vote still was 10/10 based on how much I enjoyed this movie as I vote based on movie enjoyment. (Toy Story 2 is also 10/10. Worst movie is Lawnmower Man 2 the sequel, which I voted a mere 1/10 on). Less than 5% of movies I've seen in my lifetime gets a 10/10 rating on my viewer enjoyment.

It is too bad the critics kicked it around a lot more than the audience did. Titan:AE currently has a user rating of 7.3/10 on the Internet Movie Database ( www.imdb.com ) on 589 votes. This is extremely decent user reviews - even better than Disney's Dinosaur which has a rating of 6.6/10 on 954 votes.

I would still love to see more films like Titan:AE though.

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited June 25, 2000).]

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page