Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 42 Old 07-19-2000, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone heard anything about when my favourite movie is going to be released on dvd?
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-19-2000, 10:23 AM

Coverage of the VSDA on thedigitalbits.com and DVDFILE.com mentions unofficial word gathered from Dreamworks reps at the VSDA that GLADIATOR will be released before the year end as a 2-disc DVD box. Thats the most recent information Im come across.

Im looking forward to this too.
post #3 of 42 Old 07-23-2000, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Can't wait!!!The first five minutes of battle will be worth the price.

[This message has been edited by rudolpht (edited July 23, 2000).]

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #4 of 42 Old 07-25-2000, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Jim,
Doh, now I have to upgrade to EX just for this movie. Seriously though
I cant wait, I've started to dribble at the prospect.
Just hope that they do it right, and it looks like they will.
cheers
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #5 of 42 Old 07-25-2000, 04:31 PM

Also, dont forget about the extra scenes that are supposed to be edited back into the film!
post #6 of 42 Old 07-26-2000, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just went to see it at my local theater. What shocked me was not so much the miscellaneous blood-drenched amputations and other assorted delicacies - but the even more questionable jerkiness in the filming of action scenes. Was the theater's projector stalling as soon as the action got intense, or did the production's editing staff turn some pretty questionable cheap tricks making action scenes jerky by some kind of digital processing? It made those scenes much harder to watch than even spurting blood and scattered limbs did. (NO - I wasn't cringing) Maybe the master transfer used to add foreign subtitles was horrendously processed by blind technicians?

This has got me wondering where Hollywood is heading: despite an interesting plot and fine acting - pitting one man against the world concentrating on close ups of primitive carnage (the Patriot) and manipulating the audience with children as hostages. Add to that the technical issues that marr those mouth watering special effects of people cut in half down the middle (pick your preferred direction) and we've got some fairly legitimate reasons for not buying such a DVD upon release...

------------------

Brett

Brett
post #7 of 42 Old 07-26-2000, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brett,
While I dont like the idea of execcesive violence in some of these recent movies, lett us not forget that the collosium in Rome was not Alice in Wonderland, in fact this place was a major bloodbath. Looking back on the historical records of the time I think Ridley Scott, if anything, probably underplayed the horrific acts of acts of violance and bloodshed which were a commonplace everyday occurance in these theaters of blood, which took place all in the name of sport and entertainment. In those days there were no three tenors before the sporting performance, just the three tigers.
Also, regarding the jerkiness you mention, I have noticed this in a few movies and my opinion is that (sorry Mr Scott)some filmakers have copied the style of Speilbergs Saving Private Ryan (opening invasion)aka, close up jerky action etc.
Personaly, I like it and I think it gives the air of exitement and chaos.
Anyway I am really looking foward to this release. I'm sure it will be a great disk to show off our HT systems.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #8 of 42 Old 07-27-2000, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Eric,

The historical rendering of the film was unquestionably well done. What is shown is the fact that in those days in a victory in battle you took your ennemy's life - or temporarily postponed his death, which was acquired to you. If prisoners were taken, they lived suspended sentences - thus the use made of them in hard labour or combat. This was not put into perspective regarding the fate of gladiators.

As far as the choice of glorifying single-handed butcheries and one-man commandos, you would have a hard time convincing me of the enjoyable utility of quasi "first person subjectivity" in filmy things you wouldn't wish on anyone. Those who have had the regretable fate of experience such dreaded events in real life would fail to see the value of vicariously revisiting the outer limits of human barbarity in its dismall depth. Maybe the American public is too comfortably isolated from the true difficulties of life to make this appealing?

As for the jerkiness of the so-called "action scenes", I am amazed that the resulting "smudgy" image quality could have been a deliberate choice on behalf on anyone involved in the artistic choices of the production.
Maybe it was accentuated as I was probably shaking my head in dismay...

At least viewing this film reveals the true meaning of my "thumbs down".

------------------

Brett

Brett
post #9 of 42 Old 07-27-2000, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brett,
While the American people are isolated finacialy, that is to say that they seem to be a self generating wealth creating nation (lucky devils), I dont think they are 'isolated from the true difficulties of life'.
What these are depends on an idividuals priorities in life, but just look at only one aspect eg the crime rates, both petty and serious, and you will see that they, like most other nations have enough to cope with.

I think the jerkiness thing is probably due to the fact that there is a Metro train tunnel directly under your local cinema and not your shaking head. Lets face it, how can you count the bodies if you are busy shaking your head all the time.

Anyway whilst on the subject of Gladiator, I've also been reading many posts from other forums and this movie seems to be one of those love it or hate it things. I have predicited elsewhere on this forum that sales of the Gladiator DVD will surpass Matrix, if I'm right this should mean in Roman terms a big thumbs up, not thumbs down as you suggest
regards
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #10 of 42 Old 07-27-2000, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes Eric, I'll lighten up. I don't by any stretch of the imagination hate it. And having spent my share of time dealing with the difficulties of life in the US, I'll even agree with you.

Also, you are dead right - there was a Metro directly under the theater - but the jerkiness was only there during the fast action scenes. I even thirstily enjoy the occasional gut-spilling and head-splitting scene, especially when remembering my former bosses. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

However, there are ways of portraying violence with a less explicit yet stronger artistic impact, such as in Alexander Nevsky. But then again not everyone is Eisenstein and bladders filled with paint can effectively cover up artistic shortcomings when portraying combat scenes.
As always, commercial success will remain the measure of all things, other than talent. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

Brett

Brett
post #11 of 42 Old 07-27-2000, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Damn the philosophy, though there is some embedded in this epic, this is going to be a GREAT DVD release. (I guess I'm on the "love it" side of the tally sheet).

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #12 of 42 Old 07-28-2000, 05:32 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

In any system of analysis (gotta love the fact that the word anal appears here) the greatest benifit to reaching for understanding within it as fact and of becoming manipulable understanding, comes from dividing the situation as nearly in two (largest components)as is possible. (first fundamental divisor rule)

In the situation of people it comes down to one thing:

Animals Stare at the Ground.

Humans Stare at the Stars.

------------------
---Place Signature Here---

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #13 of 42 Old 07-29-2000, 04:59 AM

This dvd should be released on november 14. I can't wait for this one.
post #14 of 42 Old 08-01-2000, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Jim,
Why also region 2, is it because of more lines on PAL? I only buy region 1 as most region 2 discs are inferior due to the lack of extras etc.
Jim what do you say, looks like we are going to need to buy something for this movie....how about the Denon 5800 (AVC A1DSE in europe).
best regards
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #15 of 42 Old 08-06-2000, 07:02 PM

My brother in-law and sister came back form a trip to Cuba.After chatting with them ,i was surprised to hear this. That "Gladiator" was showing in cuba,on normal over the air tv.. no dish,Cable...How can this be?...I havent seen the movie,but it looks like a must have up there with Braveheart in my list of dvd..Breaveheart will be out at the end of this month so said "Virgin Mega Store" in Miami Sunset Mall..(AT LAST)

Any idea how could they watch Gladiator on Tv? And its not just that movie they also had MATRIX showing ..He also told me there only 2 channel to watch in cuba....

------------------

post #16 of 42 Old 08-07-2000, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If you can't give'm food - it is safer to quench their thirst for blood. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Brett
post #17 of 42 Old 08-07-2000, 01:03 PM

Just add this there was a dish to get gladiator on the tv.....But still where in hell are they get the feed to get this/and how?

------------------

post #18 of 42 Old 08-07-2000, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the Gladiator on TV in Cuba: Do you think they are worried about pissing off US Studios? I don't.

Silence is overrated!
post #19 of 42 Old 08-08-2000, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jim,
Exactly when and where in paris is the exhibition, perhaps we can meet up.

Nilson,
I pointed my dish towards cuba, all I got was an xxx show (lol).

Brett,
Violence is the way of the world my fiend, without war, there can not be peace.

regrds all
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #20 of 42 Old 08-08-2000, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

It is to my understanding that the action scenes in question were intentionally filmed that way to give the viewer the view that the Gladitor had when his system was pumped full of adrenalin and when this happens, the mind sees in hyper-reality. One second seems like one minute. It was very interesting but very unnerving to watch.

Lee
post #21 of 42 Old 08-08-2000, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lee,
I think you are dead right, unnerving is the word. You have also raised a good point regarding seeing the fights through the eyes of the gladiator. I wonder if this is what Ridley Scott had in mind?
Another question has also come to mind. Is their any other Gladiator type epics in production at the moment.
The reason I'm asking this is that their has always been a trend in hollywood to make similar copycat versions of a big moneyspinner, i.e. Armegedon-Deep impact......Tombstone-Wyatt Earp etc etc, in fact the list will probably fill an entire thread.
rgds
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #22 of 42 Old 08-08-2000, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Eric,

As a lover of the "Sword and Sandal" movies I would rejoice at another one. They like the western pit men against men without special effects to confuse the viewer. They also almost always have beautiful cinematography.
Westerns would be cheap to film but for some reason, they have fallen out of style...too bad.

Lee
post #23 of 42 Old 08-08-2000, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uncle eric:
Brett,
Violence is the way of the world my fiend, without war, there can not be peace.

regrds all
Eric

Uncle Eric,

Your logic is flawless. (and I always thought Macchiavelli was Italian!)
The 100 year war did bring a few months of Peace so you must be right.

So Uncle Eric, if I wish to make peace with you I must first make war - and send you back a nephew in "Glad" bags? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (pun intended)
Yet maybe I'm not that different from you? It is just that there are some things I prefer to do - others I chose to watch - and others still that bring no solace to either do or watch.

Why Maximus himself has probably had his fill of that lusty action of chest fending, head splitting and limb ripping during the filming and could very well be the first to walk out of its projection - not because it isn't realistic enough but because it is a fruitless undertaking (to he who was there). There are those that wage the battles and then again those that watch them. The essence of combat is to stand up for what is right and take what comes - not the morbid vicarious fascination with technical aspects of battleground amputations. But to each his own - I'm sure you're really a bloody nice chap to have on one's side in the home "theatre of war".
Ave! See ya in the Forum. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Brett

Brett
post #24 of 42 Old 08-09-2000, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Careful Brett, you are begining not to make sense(maybe my iq is not high enough). Just a quick recap to try and straighten things out a little.
Our CORE subject here(since this is a HT forum and not a soapbox)is HT.
Most of us buy our movies either because we think the movie(story, subject matter etc)is enjoyable, to ones taste, or, it is technicaly very well made and will look and sound good on our HT systems.
Every now and again, these two criteria happen to be on one and the same disc, and as its proven on this thread, we all(exept you) agree that Gladiator will be one of these movies.
"THOSE THAT DO, AND THOSE THAT WATCH"..... HT is for watching, and Life is for doing,(gosh you are right, my logic IS flawless.
Have you noticed that you are the only person on this thread that keeps going on about amputations, blood, headsplitting etc etc.
Either you are in the medical profession or indeed it is you who has a morbid fasination with all things bloody.
What is really giving me a kick is knowing, for sure, that as soon as this movie is released you will be amongst the first to buy it (shame I cant prove this but I would bet my last dollar on it)
"I will have my revenge" MAXIMUS/GLADIATOR

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #25 of 42 Old 08-09-2000, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Eric,

You're quite right. I guess the beef was that I went to see it immediately upon reading your initial post. So I imagine that is why you took the steam. While I most likely (see, I can be moderate) won't be buying it at any time in the future I definitely shouldn't be griping here and spoiling other people's fun. I watched it without much taste or even without that much distaste, just the sort of disappointment you get when you set your sights too high (up onto a screen in this case). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

The problem wasn't an HT one, but one based on the value I had placed on your wholehearted endorsement of this film: I brought a fairly sensitive person to the picture upon reading your enthusiastic posts and then spent the better part of the movie with her hiding her eyes and asking when it was okay to watch... She missed - as you well imagine - a fair proportion of the "action scenes".

This also spoiled "my fun" by forcing me to arbitrate throughout the movie whether aven mere stabbing was done in a watchable way or whether it degenerated into borderline sadistic twists. Yeah, I know, I should hang out with He-Men rather than them sissy dames (not reading this I hope R). So it is back to the good old HT where you can screen movies for their propensity to cast romantic moods and even slap in a second feature if your initial choice disappoints. So my beef is more against the "Real" Movie Theater experience versus the far more satisfying HT experience, the maximum of gore of Maximus only served as a catalyst to repudiate the former.

Buy you a drink at the Paris show? Cheers,

------------------

Brett

Brett
post #26 of 42 Old 08-10-2000, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brett,
We have friends that hide behind the sofa during a movie (even Bugs Life), its a real pain as like you say, instead of trying to enjoy the movie, I end up becoming one of the british board of censors.
Funny thing is, Max, their 10 year old boy is'ent allowed to watch anything with excessive sex or violance....he only watches James Bond (lol).
Great, let me know where and when and we can all get together (I believe Jim Jones will also be there), lunch on me.
regards
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #27 of 42 Old 08-10-2000, 05:33 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Easy now folks.

Remember. You are applying facets of life, reality and blood to something that is a total outright fabrication. It exists principally for one reason, and that is to pull money out of your pockets. Any other morality within it or thrust upon it is wholly secondary and serves only one purpose. To pull money out of your pockets. I am willing to bet my bottom dollar, that there were many facets of this film, and just about all others, where people in the production and within the production and surrounding the production where literally screwed out of money they deserved and those who paid for services were screwed out of services they paid for. Filmmaking is a nasty money and ego oriented business right through. It sometimes makes the fashion business look tame.

------------------

Ken Hotte

post #28 of 42 Old 08-11-2000, 09:11 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Not really JJ! I enjoy a good bout of bloodlust just as much as the next dude. I will buy the DVD COLD, and probably enjoy it immensely. I have not seen it yet, but am awaiting the DVD release. I would rather spend my money on the DVD instead of the theatre. My principal orientation is SOUND, and theatres make me grind my teeth to the point of spitting blood. They all sound terrible: I can only listen to my own creations.

As far as the blood lust goes, we must all loose it completely. There are some technologies coming down the pike soon that are so devastatingly powerful that we will all have no choice to be anything but absolutely clear. No exceptions. period. No allowances. period. Pandora's box is on the verge of being opened, yet again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited August 12, 2000).]

Ken Hotte

post #29 of 42 Old 08-11-2000, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I missed it at the theater, can't wait for it now...

------------------
Mike Lang
TiVo Tips & Tricks Moderator

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #30 of 42 Old 08-12-2000, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thedigitaleyes.com, an excellent internet magazine on DVDs (produced by Bill Hunt, who also writes the same type of column for Widescreen Review), reports that it will be released in November, though the studio has not given this as the official release date yet.

Nick
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page