Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-27-2000, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I just finished watching EAST IS EAST for the second time. The first time was in theatre. It's even better than I remembered! This is a comedy-drama that delivers. It has some big laughs set against the backdrop of family conflict. I don't want to spill too much, but I'll lay out the basic premise. It's about a strong-willed Packastani man who has moved to Britan and married a British woman. They have 7 children. He wants to raise the children in the context of Islamic customs he brought from Packistan. As the children are getting older, they're beginning to rebel. There's some big laughs here and some sobering moments too. The disc is just beautiful. It features 5.1 sound, but don't expect too much rear channel action. This is no effect-ladden film!
You'll hear music in the sides on occasion. This great old timey flim making at it's best, if you ask me. It's nothing like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, it's 'R' rated for language primarily. The cockney and Packistani accents may be difficult for some. However, it has English captions for the hearing impaired if you need them. I've watched so much British comedy and listened to enough cockney rock, I had no trouble at all. The only extra feature is the theatrical trailer. If you're tired of Hollywood as usual, check out this lovely British film. EAST IS EAST is headed in the right direction, hysterical laughter that is.

------------------

Rachael,la gata grande del disco

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-28-2000, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rachael,
Glad you liked it. Its also one of my favourites. It was a big hit over here at the time and is now a top seller in dvd/vhs form.
I must say that I still dont know how us britts manage to produce gems like this that are winners in the box office for peanut money.
On a side note "Billy Elliot", cost around 3 million usd, and is allready being tipped for a brace of oscars.
If you think East is East was good, wait till you see B.E.
I suggest you train hard for this one, as it will leave you both mentaly and physicaly exhausted.
Billy Elliot, not only the years best film. One of the best movies of all time!
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #3 of 3 Old 10-28-2000, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Uncle, BILLY ELLIOT is in "selected" theatres presently, and will be in general release very soon. I hope folks don't think it's about the childhood of the stockcar driver of the same name, ha ha! I've been watching for it ever sice you alerted me. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata grande del disco

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page