My all time number 1 movie is out now, on dvd............read on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-07-2000, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I know...Its virtually impossible to pick a number one movie of all time. There are probably a dozen or so (mostly differing) movies that each one of us truly enjoys watching time and again, that is deserving of this accolade.

Truly great films seem to affect people more in childhood.
Maybe something strange happens when you watch something for the first time as a kid. Certain things get beneath your skin. Things that probably wouldent as an adult, because we become, quite naturally older wiser and dare I say, even cynical.

I watched Charlie Chaplins 'CITY LIGHTS' for the first time when I was 9 years old. From that day to this, this movie has always made me laugh out louder than a lottery winner. And always makes me shudder with emotion. Try as I might, even after some three and a half decades of countless viewing it manages to automaticaly turn on the tears.
Also, the acting methods in those days were technically very different to today. Due to the lack of sound and therefore speech, the actors had a very important facet missing in their quest to convey their story to you. As Chaplin once said. They had to ACT to tell you what was going on. Talking the 'story' is so much easier.

I particularly love the mimic like charm of Chaplins acting. In the final scene where the blind girl played by Virginia Cherrill touches Chaplin and therefore recognises him as her secret benifactor, Chaplin points to his eyes, and says, "you can see now".

A masterclass of acting from the biggest movie star the world has ever seen. Charlie Chaplin, long may you live in our hearts.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-07-2000, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
uncle Eric,

You certainly picked a great one! Indeed "City Lights" was one of Chaplin's best known silent movies...way up there with "The Great Dictator," et al. Such acting depth insured Charlie's inmortality, something that is easily witnessed in just about every movie he made...all of them eventually becoming "classics"...

-THTS
post #3 of 7 Old 12-07-2000, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Eric, did you get the three-pack with CITY LIGHTS, GREAT DICTATOR, and auh, I forgot. That's how it's being marketed here, in a three-pack. I think they're not seperately available. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #4 of 7 Old 12-07-2000, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Rachael,

I remember seeing Modern Times & maybe a fourth in the set.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-07-2000, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tim, I checked, it's a four-pack. GOLD RUSH and MODERN TIMES round it out. I would like to get it myself some time. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #6 of 7 Old 12-08-2000, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rachael,Tim,
They are Chaplins Essanay Comedies Volume 1/2/3 Movies on this are... ;A dogs life; The Kid; The Gold Rush; The Circus; City Lights; Modern Times; Limelight; King in New York; and A woman in Paris.

Frank,
It just struck me that in these Modern times http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif where multi channel digital sound and anamorphic widescreen pressings rule, its rather ironic that a movie made 70 years ago still stands out head and shoulders amongst its peers. 'City Lights' is trully a classic.

Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #7 of 7 Old 12-08-2000, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11

You said it Eric! When are they going to THX certify for content quality?

------------------

Brett

Brett
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page