Closed Thread

post #91 of 97 Old 12-16-2000, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Christoph,

Some edge enhancement can be seen in some brightly lit scenes like when the Gladiator is fighting in the arena, etc. Enough to detract from enjoying the otherwise fabulous anomorphic transfer. I truly detest the practice since I really believe it is not needed with the DVD format, even if the transfering film elements aren't the sharpest. Blow the image up to five feet in height and see what I mean. Arrrgh!...

-THTS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 12-17-2000, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbyc:
Come on, There's gotta be at least ONE reference PAL disc that blows the best NTSC disc out of the water!
Bob C

I don't know any, but some are better than their NTSC counterparts:
- Shakespeare in Love
- Top Gun
- The Rock
- Con Air
- Thelma and Louise

regards
Michel Hafner
post #93 of 97 Old 12-17-2000, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
Liked: 10
Hal : hi and yes, it's me! sorry if I used your screenshots but they are beautiful.
As for the PAL version, I now regret STRONGLY to have bought it: the PAL speedup is indeed atrocious to a point that it really deforms Zimmer's score! as for the image, there is a slight greenish tint there and the colors are less well respected as they are on the NTSC disc.
I will hand it back and keep my beautiful NTSC disc and waiting for the special edition next year, uncut.
As for good PAL discs, I recommend SLEEPY HOLLOW : it really is fabulous, with cool creepy menus, astounding sound (in Dolby and DTS ladies and gentlemen !!!). The image is awesome and no PAL speedup heard.
http://www.dvdrama.net/menus/sleepyhollowz2dts7.jpg http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php3?1063
Some discs done by Metropolitan video are excellent but 98% of my discs are region 1, it speaks for itself http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
post #94 of 97 Old 12-19-2000, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I only have 2 pal dvd's out of around 400. The rest are of course R1. One of the pal discs is Jumanji, and I can tell you its awfull. Never again.
I dont know if its the 4% speed up, bad job by the studio's or what. All I know is that if the R2 people want support from me. Forget it.
Long live R1 ntsc.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #95 of 97 Old 12-20-2000, 02:11 AM

It's strange all these negative things about R2. I have the Dutch Gladiator -disc. Don't see anything really wrong with it, it's the best R2 I saw. For the sound I cannot tell, because my amp has to be reconnected.

It's possible that there's a 4 % speed up, but I never noticed it!
In the beginning it's true, most of the R2 were crap, but the last 6 months, most of the titles I viewed, from serious editors, looked really fine.

I put on after Gladiotor r2, the new terminator 2 Région 1 disc. looked terriffic indeed, but I thought the "Gladiator"-disc looked sharper and that the terminator-disc had a few minor compression-faults.

One thing is sure, almost every decent R1 movie is well edited, in région 2 you can still find arwful dvd's. When they are both well made, I dont know! One thing I also noticed is that Non- anamorphic dvd's (like mMary Popins)are looking much better in pal. When I zoom in the lines are not that visible. On NTSC, the loss in quality is higher.
post #96 of 97 Old 12-21-2000, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
Hal

as for the special edition, it's currently under asking to Ridley Scott and so far, first reactions is that there will be one.
I still notice some poor ADR dialogues editing on the region 1 Gladiator, distracting.

cheers
post #97 of 97 Old 12-22-2000, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just thought I'd mention. Rather than buy an R2 version as well, I thought it best to double up on another R1. Just in case the first on goes moldy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page