Must see - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Draggon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon dvd last night. In my opinion, it's one of the best (if not the best) Chinese martial art film ever made, starring Chow Yun-fat (Anna and the King) and Michelle Yeoh (Tomorrow never dies). Directed by Ang Lee (Sense and Sensibility), action choreographed by Yuen Wo Ping (Matrix), it is not anything you've seen yet, not for its superman style flying and fighting that is seen in nearly all traditional martial art films but its very very touching story, a love story of 2 generations of men and women sword fighters interlocked by each other's fate, each in quest of their inner emotions, the rebellious juvenile, the peace seeking veteran and of course, the ever evil minded. It deals with human emotions, things that is put upon people by their own fate. A sad ending that surely gains tears, not of excessive blood shed and exaggerated and pretentious style of fighting. It has the absorbing power to make people believe. It is the true style of Chinese martial art story.

The picture quality is very good, consistent with all releases by Sony Columbia. It is a test for good setting of gray scale otherwise you won't be able to see all the dark details. The scenery is beautiful, from the North West China in Xinjiang province where you'll see the Devil City of deserted valley, the great desert along the Silk Road (places where I've been and photographed) to elegantly beautiful rich land of South Yantze River and the Yellow Mountain ranges with sea of clouds. The sound quality is also very well composed. The music piece at the end credits featuring cell solo by Yo Yo Ma and the great drums is exceptionally sensational, a test for those with the hi-end 5.1 system.

In short, the film is very well made and very beautifully filmed as well as excellently acted. Do get a copy when it's available. Right now only Region 3 is available.

[This message has been edited by TK Chan (edited 01-14-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the review. I just ordered the DVD two days ago from an online shop
based in HK. Can't wait to have it...

Cheers

christoph

------------------
http://www.berlindvd.myokay.net

Regards
Christoph
Contact via Public Profile
post #3 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TK, I'm stille waiting for it to play in the theatre here. It's been advertised via trailers for months. I'll be the last person on the planet to see it, apparently. I read somewhere that there are only enough prints of it for it to play in 30 cities at a time. You've got a DVD of it and I can't see it for the first time, life's unfair! Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #4 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rachel,

You must see it in the theatre. This film brings you back in time to the old days of China. Everything you see in the movie is so real, the house, the decorations, the chair, the table, the costume, the way of speech, nothing is pretentious, except of course, the flying martial art fighting. There are some marvelous graphic artwork as well - the panoramic view of Beijing City in its old days where the Forbidden Palace was the highest in the city, no citizen houses were allowed to be built higher than the palace.

Yes, we are lucky to have this dvd release first.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 05:17 AM

TK

I agree this is one of the best martial arts films ever made and must be seen in the cinema, though the usually poor quality of general release prints rob the film of some of its splendour.

This is definitely a "must own" DVD.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

This is one of those discs every HT'ophile of Chinese descent is bounded to purchase.

The Yo-Yo Ma bit seals it for me. btw, Which is the best r3 HK place to buy it?

T.

IntelInside?
CyrixInstead:-P
AuthenticAMD!

"From the depths of winter I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer..." a.c.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

This is the best Chinese martial art movie for a long, long time. TK Chan, you've got the DVD? Anybody knows any online shop for this particular dvd? Singapore is having its re-run now to revitalise memory worthy of an Oscar nomination soon, maybe.

Everyone performs great in this moive. Two thumbs up.

CH Yeow
post #8 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 03:27 PM

Alan

It is on DVD now but as a Region 3 disc only so you will need a code-selectable player.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 06:04 PM

I saw this in the theater the other night. I must say that it would appeal much more to a chinese audience than an american one. The underlying themes are very asian in nature...not wanting to displease parents etc. I think much of the deeper meaning is also lost in the translation. For example, at one point he says "it's crowded on the roof" or something like that in english, but in chinese it's more like "I didn't know your roof was so popular". Other than this, the film is obviously super-low budget. The "flying" is poorly done, and highly unbelievable. The fight scenes are entertaining, but not realistic. It's not one I would want to watch again in a theater, and i probably won't be buying the DVD.

Mark
post #10 of 26 Old 01-14-2001, 09:43 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by heyta:
I saw this in the theater the other night. I must say that it would appeal much more to a Chinese audience than an American one. The underlying themes are very Asian in nature...not wanting to displease parents etc. I think much of the deeper meaning is also lost in the translation. For example, at one point he says "it's crowded on the roof" or something like that in english, but in Chinese it's more like "I didn't know your roof was so popular". Other than this, the film is obviously super-low budget. The "flying" is poorly done, and highly unbelievable. The fight scenes are entertaining, but not realistic. It's not one I would want to watch again in a theater, and I probably won't be buying the DVD.

Mark
You totally and completely missed the point of this movie. It's a fable, a fairy tale, not a literal take on historical China. The flying and fighting are meant to look the way they do - highly stylized and almost dream like. That's the POINT. This isn't a Jackie Chan movie! As for Chinese vs. American "themes", A)You are correct, and B)So what? I'm not Chinese and I like the fact that I wasn't seeing some of our more recent "American Themed" movies, like Pay it Forward, or Autumn in New York, or similar dreck that invaded our theaters this past fall. What's wrong with a different perspective now and then?

There are plenty of American movies I didn't find "believable" either - like The Terminator 2 with liquid robots and trucks flying off bridges (based on the all-too common American fable of impending nuclear holocaust) but I still liked it, and I bet you did too.

Another one I bet you liked is the Matrix, right? Same stunt guy (Woo Ping) did both.

If you were looking for the next Jet Li product, then I can see why you are disappointed. Open your mind up a little and see it again, you might enjoy it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

P.S. I saw it once with my friend Chris, who speaks fluent Mandarin, and he was impressed with the accuracy of the subtitles vs. what was actually said. It wasn't a 100% and can never be given the differences in language and culture, but it was still very good (probably helped that one of the 3 screenwriters was American). BTW, did you know that when she spits on the guy and says her name is "Pa!" that she was actually saying "fart!" in Mandarin? :-)

------------------
Ix (The planet of technology in the book Dune for the geeks out there)
My Opinions may be wrong when compared to yours
www.maximumgamer.com
ix@maximumgamer.com
post #11 of 26 Old 01-15-2001, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi TK,
One of my friends in HK is sending me this one. I must say that the trailers look fantastic. Looking foward to this one.
regards
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #12 of 26 Old 01-15-2001, 05:44 AM

codewarrior

There should be plenty of resources online to obtaining a code-selectable (i.e. code-free) DVD player in the USA, though the majority of them seem to be UK-based (reason: everyone outside of Region 1 wants Region 1 compatability). Just look up code free dvd on any search engine.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-15-2001, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for sending me the link TK! I couldn't get through yesterday on the international site. I'd be inclined to see the film at the theatre before I possibly bought a DVD. I would like to look at this store though, they must be busy as bees. I couldn't get on it, it "rung" for ten minutes. The first day CTHD shows at the art theatre, is the day I'll see it. Friday, when I saw FINDING FORRESTER I had to sit thru the CTHD trailer yet again! Thats about a dozen times now. I want to see the bleeding thing! Best wishes!

P.S.- T.K., if I ordered a DVD from them, would it be region 1 or 0? I'm not set up to play anything else.

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #14 of 26 Old 01-15-2001, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rachael,

As Lloyd said, you'll need a code selectable of auto code selectable player to see it. The R1 won't be here until 6 months later as it is still showing in cinema.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-15-2001, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link and advice TK. Some of us will just have to wait on this one. I finally got on that site, but could not find CTHD at all, I tried other regions, I thought. Is it possible it's a walk-in only item, presently? I've toyed with the idea of a region-free player before. Knowing that ths disc is region 3 only, makes me want it more, the player and maybe the disc too. Is region three all NTSC? Well, I'll proably end up waiting on the theatre. I wish the bleedding thing would come to town! I feel like I'll proably be the last person on earth to see it, at the current rate of non-progress! I have the trailer near memorized, I've seen it so many times. It's been before every feature at the art theate since October. So, I've seen it atleast a dozen times, proably more!
TK, ther's alot of us out here waiting and waiting for those few copies to get to our town.... Best wishes!

------------------

post #16 of 26 Old 01-16-2001, 12:25 PM

I just ordered CTHD from here:

https://secure.mall168.com/instant_payment/hivizone/main_frame.htm
www.dddhouse.com also sells it cheaper, but I had problems checking out.

Mark
post #17 of 26 Old 01-16-2001, 07:38 PM

If anyones interested I have done a complete review of Crouching Tiger R3 on my site at: http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/article.php?sid=91

Sorry I cant post it here as its very big. This is a nice disc all around.

Regards Neil.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-17-2001, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Neil,
Great review thanks. My copy arriving later on today by DHL. I have many friends in Hong Kong so R3 cant escape from my clutches.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #19 of 26 Old 01-17-2001, 09:54 PM

I agree with the majority of people here. Crouching Tiger is amazing. I really ,really love this movie. I have now seen it 8 times and I'm still not tired of it. I also agree with the person who said that it is not the fighting that really makes the movie so wonderful. I have been watching Hong Kong Movies since I was a kid so I have seen plenty of action choreography like this and even better. I am not saying that the choreography here isn't good. It is great especially for people who are not used to this type of action choreography. They are in for a treat and a revelation. But to me, what really makes this film one of my all time favorite if not my favorite is the way that Ang Lee manages to weave in all the different elements so well. The action, the drama, the romance. This movies has everything.

The action is very well integrated into the story and further develops the plot and mirrors the characters' feelings and thoughts. The characters are well developed and one gets to care for them as if they were real.. Also the Taoist philosophy is well integrated into the characters motivations and actions.

Finally I do not agree with the person who says that the film "would appeal much more to a Chinese audience than an American one". I am not Chinese. In fact I am Hispanic from the Dominican Republic.Which is I think the further you can get from being Chinese and I really, really loved this movie Yes there are many Chinese specific references that may not be easily understood by a new person coming into this film Genre, but the most important themes of the movie are in my opinion universal. For example youthful rebellion and exuberance, Young passionate love, regretful unfulfilled love, betrayal, conflict between desires and duty . All these things can be easily understood by any one not just people of Chinese descent.

P.S. For those interested in buying the region 3 DVD online I can recommend http://www.*************. They have excellent prices on all Hong Kong DVDs. I have purchased from them before and I think they are great.

Alberich the Nibelung

[This message has been edited by alberich (edited 01-17-2001).]
post #20 of 26 Old 01-18-2001, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Well... I for one liked this movie, but did not LOVE it. I love chinese fighting movies, and being of chinese descent myself enjoyed it thoroughly.

Is it the best Kgung fu movie ever? Well... no.

Low budget? No. It actually was one of hte highest budget "Chinese Movies" ever made. The gorgeous Desert and city scenes full of digital repainting and so forth really are quite lovely.

Fighting scenes? I like the fairy tale, flying fighter styles, but I agree that they could have been done better. After watching it for the second time, and checking out the Matrix Dojo scene for the millionth time, I've come to the conclusion that the editing and directing have MUCH to do with the fighting styles presentation. The Warchowski (spel.) brothers have a very controlled way of showing flying scenes, kicks, punches etc. Woo Ping Choreographs them quite lovingly and spectacularly. But I think the Matrix is the perfect marriage of east meets west.

Unfortunately CTHD was WAAAY overhyped for me when I first watched it, so I was impressed, but not blown away as I should have been.

I hate trailers.

Klutzo.

------------------
Klutzo, the newbie HT Boy.
BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.
Sharpvision main FP
Sony Wega aux monitor
Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Klutzo,
the newbie HT Boy.

Please, feel free to visit the klutzoplex! Click the link below. =>

Click here to visit the Klutzoplex
http://www.klutzoplex.com
post #21 of 26 Old 01-19-2001, 03:07 PM

Regarding the fight scenes in this wonderful movie, they are amazing. Having been in martial arts for 25 years, the weapons scenes and the acrobatic fighting (not the flying) represent a phenomenal level of skill and talent, which I have only glimpsed a few times from other masters in the past. Even with dull edges this was extremely dangerous to do, and very little was faked. In my opinion the scenes were presented at the actual speeds or close to them. Of course there are sound effects, and the smashing of concrete was probably added in. My son (also a black belt)and I still came out with our mouths hanging open. Horton
post #22 of 26 Old 01-19-2001, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just recieved and watched CTHD today thanks to my good friend Thomas Chan in Hong Kong. (199 HK$ from HMV Peking road).
Loved everthing about it. The cinematography is simply breathtaking as was the action scenes.
I must admit though, since Bruce Lee died in the seventies I had lost interest in martial arts movies (as I lost interest in F1 racing when another hero of mine, Ayrtan Senna died...god I hate schumacher) however, CTHD really lit up my the old fire I felt for a lot of these movies.
Having listened to both the original track and the not to badly dubbed english track, I felt the sound to be acceptable. (hell, you dont expect to hear F15 jets going by on the surrounds).
I did however take exeption to the 2.35-1 transfer. While not at all bad, its not what we have become accustomed to this past year. My main gripe was the grainy (in a lot of places) image. Maybe Ang Lee meant to do this. Dont know. How I wish we could have had a transfer to equal Shanghai Noon. Oh well, cant win 'em all.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #23 of 26 Old 01-19-2001, 04:47 PM

Hi all, I have to agree with all the positive feedback on this film.

However, I have a separate question, does anybody know if there are plan to turn some of the old Shaw Brothers films into DVD? Films like: One-Armed Swordsman (Wang Yu), The Assasin, some of the old Monkey (Sun Wu Kong) movies, etc.

These films were all shot in the Shaw Scope and when they put the film into VHS video they really cut the heck out of it. One particularly funny cut was in "The New One Armed Swordsman" where the camera was pointed at the center of the bridge with the 2 combatants on either side (of course with 4:3 the combatants weren't even in the picture). As the combatants ran towards each other the camera panned in (again to keep them on either side) but all that was left was this yelling from both sides but nobody on the picture until both of them were in the center of the bridge fighting.

------------------
Larry

Larry
post #24 of 26 Old 01-23-2001, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

It finally came to Knoxville, yeah! I saw this afternoon. I liked it very much. The film to me seems so mythical, I liked that. Maybe it's the Chinese answer to King Arthur/Round Table thang, sort of... I'll buy the region 1 DVD when it comes out. I'd enjoy another screening before it leaves. I'm gonna try to catch it once more if I can. Even if the film quality is not absolutely top notch, the sets and scenery are tremendous. The music is varied and intresting. A way above average flick IMO!

------------------

post #25 of 26 Old 01-23-2001, 12:30 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy:
It finally came to Knoxville, yeah! I saw this afternoon. I liked it very much. The film to me seems so mythical, I liked that. Maybe it's the Chinese answer to King Arthur/Round Table thang, sort of... I'll buy the region 1 DVD when it comes out. I'd enjoy another screening before it leaves. I'm gonna try to catch it once more if I can. Even if the film quality is not absolutely top notch, the sets and scenery are tremendous. The music is varied and intresting. A way above average flick IMO!

Reminded me a lot of the book "Shike" by Robert Shea. I highly recommend reading that book (actually it's two books, but most reprints combine them into one). Although it focuses on the Japanese, there is a huge subplot involving the Chinese around the same time period as CTHD.

Oh, and I am El gran gato del disco http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ix (The planet of technology in the book Dune for the geeks out there)
My Opinions may be wrong when compared to yours
www.maximumgamer.com
ix@maximumgamer.com
post #26 of 26 Old 01-26-2001, 08:30 AM

Great movie, saw it first two days ago in a THX theater and was impressed by story content and picture quality. How ever, yesterday I took my son to see it. I was horrified, this time at a different theater. I had no idea that it could make such a difference. The night scenes were to dark to see the fighting very well. The detail was lost to the desert mountains. It just seemed like focus, contrast, brightness or whatever it is theaters do to the projection of the film was off. Maybe someone can comment as to how there could be such a difference in the same movie but at a different theater? Should I have commented to the theater staff?
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page