Crouching Tiger edge enhancement alert - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-01-2001, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Region 1 CTHD has been reviewed by http://www.dvdmg.com today and there's noticeable ringing from too much edge enhancement during many of the brightly lit outdoor sceens. Too bad because it's a great movie.

Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with nail polish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-01-2001, 07:15 AM

Hi Mike,

I watched it last night and saw NO ringing at all. Actually the bright scenes are outstanding, clear with no flicker or edge enhancement or any other anomalies. There's barely any grain, even in the dark scenes.

The only two complaints that I have are that the blacks are a little washed out and the colors are a little under-saturated. All in all the transfer does the film justice. Great soundtrack also, very involving and keeps you in the mood. Do not worry, you will enjoy it when you see it and it's such a good movie I doubt you'll have any complaints about the transfer.

BTW if it's relevant, I watched on my 40H80 with a Sony DVP-S7000 and an iScan Pro http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
My Home Theatre Equipment

[This message has been edited by Dan Smith (edited 06-01-2001).]
post #3 of 24 Old 06-01-2001, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Smith:
Hi Mike,

I watched it last night and saw NO ringing at all. Actually the bright scenes are outstanding, clear with no flicker or edge enhancement or any other anomalies.

The only two complaints that I have are that the blacks are a little washed out and the colors are a little under-saturated. All in all the transfer does the film justice. Great soundtrack also, very involving and keeps you in the mood. Do not worry, you will enjoy it when you see it and it's such a good movie I doubt you'll have any complaints about the transfer.

BTW if it's relevant, I watched on my 40H80 with a Sony DVP-S7000 and an iScan Pro http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan:

I reviewed it on a 10' screen with a 9" crt and believe me, there's ringing artifacts in a lot of the scenes. Also, on the contrary, I thought the blacks were some of the depest I have seen in quite some time with plenty of shadow detail.

It just goes to show that the display means everything when judging a disk's quality. No two people's are alike with respect to calibration and method of delivery which makes for alot of subjective arguing.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-01-2001, 08:04 AM

I don't know if this is relevant but I have the region 3 version and I don't see any edge enhancement anywhere in the movie. Also I find the color and black level to be excellent.

I view the DVD played by an Mpact based Cassini HTPC with a Viewsonic PJL 830 DLP projecting to a 7 feet wide Da-Lite Matte white screen.

I wonder if the region 1 release is a different DVD transfer that the region 3?

Dennis
post #5 of 24 Old 06-02-2001, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alberich:
I don't know if this is relevant but I have the region 3 version and I don't see any edge enhancement anywhere in the movie. Also I find the color and black level to be excellent.

I view the DVD played by an Mpact based Cassini HTPC with a Viewsonic PJL 830 DLP projecting to a 7 feet wide Da-Lite Matte white screen.

I wonder if the region 1 release is a different DVD transfer that the region 3?

Dennis
Hi Guys:

Regardless of what display you have, and of course this will show up on the bigger devices more than smaller ones, you will see the ringing at its worst during many scenes contained in Chapter 18. Just keep you eye on the very top of the mountain range in the background. Look at the characters whenever they are filmed against the blue-white sky background in a closeup or waist up shot. It's there, believe me. I hesitate doing this because if you don;t see it then that tells me your eye is not trained to look for it and you;re better off not knowing. Once you see it and know what to look for, it becomes an obsession and can ruin your HT viewing.

post #6 of 24 Old 06-03-2001, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

I have the Region 3 and the first time I played it, I was surprised how sharp the picture was. I have never seen a DVD with this kind of sharpness before. I'm assuming this is attributed to edge enhancement.

I'll be viewing the Region 1 disc Sunday and post my comments on Monday.

Jeff
post #7 of 24 Old 06-03-2001, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Hi everybody,

Has anybody seen the zone2 version of this dvd yet?
It has been edited by warner if I remember correctly...
Perhaps is there less edge enhancement on that one ! (each time I see the editor of a dvd is CTHV, I'm afraid of the edge enhancement I would find on it.They have it all at a different degree, but it's always there)

------------------
Stef.

Stef.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-03-2001, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephane Bervas:
Hi everybody,

Has anybody seen the zone2 version of this dvd yet?
It has been edited by warner if I remember correctly...
Perhaps is there less edge enhancement on that one ! (each time I see the editor of a dvd is CTHV, I'm afraid of the edge enhancement I would find on it.They have it all at a different degree, but it's always there)

Crouching Tiger is a Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment release, not Warner Brothers.

post #9 of 24 Old 06-03-2001, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Luckly most of the movie contains dark scenes where we wont see any edge enhancement.
I did see te R3 version and it did have EE but not that bad.
It figures they had to screw with the R1 version.

When will they listen to us, WE DONT WANT EDGE ENHANCEMENT, NONE!
Thats why we have sharpness controls on our processors so we can choose the sharpness level that fits our own preference.
They should spend that time and effort they put into adding EE and spend it cleaning up compression artifatcs.
Then we might have something!

------------------
Alan Gouger
Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com
post #10 of 24 Old 06-03-2001, 10:00 AM

I'll come to you as soon as the region2 dvd will be in my hands (few days from now...) it'll be PAL of course but will surely come from the same master... C ya in a few days...

:-)
post #11 of 24 Old 06-04-2001, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Just briefly compared certain scenes of the R3 with the R1 and I see no difference between the two.

Jeff
post #12 of 24 Old 06-04-2001, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I just finished watching it on a 65" Mits. And must agree that there is plenty of EE in the transfer. IMO it is one of the worst transfers I've seen as far as EE goes. I mean I've seen others just as bad, but, can't remember any that were worse than this. Which is a shame considering the incredible cinematograpy and such an incredible film.

Chad

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #13 of 24 Old 06-05-2001, 07:47 AM

Chad I don't understand it. I mean I don't see the EE on Crouching Tiger at all. Maybe my eyes are not as good as some of you guys at detecting these things.

Here is a test. If you have True Lies watch it and tell me if the amount of EE thtat you see in Crouching Tiger compares to True Lies or if either of the two is worse.
True Lies is aDVD that I try to watch and I find the EE so overbearing that I cant watch the movie. Another prety bad EE festival for me is the Mask.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-05-2001, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

The worst dvds I ever seen with EE are The general's daughter from paramount and enemy of the state, completely unwatchable!!

------------------
Stef.

Stef.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-05-2001, 11:48 AM

I am more critical than most, I see no EE on R3 version. Image is sharp and colors look very good.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-05-2001, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

ericbee,

If the region 0 and region 3 are the same, then I'll have to pick up the region 0 since I don't have a region free player. I'd love to see this movie without EE.

alberich,

I'll take a look at True Lies tonight.

Chad

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #17 of 24 Old 06-05-2001, 08:07 PM

I'm finding it amazing not more people have the All region disc that I have. I've been watching this movie for 3 months now. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif I'll go back and look for the EE but I'm using the PS2 for viewing at the moment with Texture mapping on smooth and disc speed on fast.
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Garde.../genbreath.gif
------------------
Hope This Helps!
&gt;^_^&lt;

[This message has been edited by Blak_Panta (edited 06-06-2001).]

Hope This Helps!
&gt;^_^&lt;
post #18 of 24 Old 06-05-2001, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

I have both the R1 and R3. As I watched in my system (Sony G70+Pioneer AX10+Faroudja 3000) at 960p, I can see EE in both R1 and R3. The transfer is 99% similar only that the R1 seems a little better in contrast thus the EE is easier to notice. Also the EE is noticed in different scenes at various degrees, some are more annoying (mostly wide shots) while those close up shots are OK. If you want to pinpoint the EE, go to the opening of the movie when Chow Yun Fat was led by the servant wallking into the big house. You will definitely see the black bordering of some of the big wooden pillars.

The R3 transfer is dubbed from the R1 transfer. I learn this from source close to the top guy of the HK distributor who is responsible for the release of the R3 copy. All in all, the transfer is just average, not a particularly quality one. Only the R3 has the Chinese subtitles.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-05-2001, 08:46 PM

Hey TK,

My disc has Chinese Subtitles as well. And I'm still trying to find the EE effects. Maybe my eyes aren't as "trained" as the others as well.

------------------
Hope This Helps!
&gt;^_^&lt;

Hope This Helps!
&gt;^_^&lt;
post #20 of 24 Old 06-06-2001, 05:48 AM

I have not seen that much edge enhancement since "Lawrence of Arabia"! This is quite a disgrace!
post #21 of 24 Old 06-06-2001, 08:15 AM

Guys I am still waiting for the comparison with True Lies or The Mask. Those are the two that bother me with EE.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-06-2001, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

alberich,

I checked out True Lies last night as I said I would. Unfortunetly, our power went out when I turned on the computer to post my reply and was still out at 1 am when I went to bed.

As for EE on TL and CTHD, I'd say that the severity is about the same but, it is more frequent with TL. In other words when EE is most noticable in CTHD it is just as bad as what I am seeing with TL. But, like TK Chan points out, it seems to vary in severity from scene to scene in CTHD.

Another, reason that EE may be more noticable with TL, is because TL is non-anamorphic. If you are displaying TL and CTHD at the same size on your screen, you are enlarging the TL image beyond it's native resolution, making EE stand out even further. The Mask is also non-anamorphic.

kuzia,

I finally watched Lawrence the past Sunday (GREAT movie also), and didn't notice anywhere near the amount of EE that I'm seeing with Crouching Tiger. I was actually surprised that EE wasn't more prevalent than it was considering all the desert scenery and how bad it was in Bridge On River Kwai.

Chad

[This message has been edited by Chad Varnadore (edited 06-06-2001).]

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #23 of 24 Old 06-06-2001, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched this DVD last night. I noticed the EE, but I wouldn't call it unwatchable. I didn't care too much for the movie, i.e. story, plot. Kinda boring, too many dark scenes and a oh hum sword fight here and there.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-06-2001, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
The R1 DVD definitely has too much EE (thirteen feet from a 84" wide screen). I saw this movie three times in a THX-certified theater prior, and what I noticed then was that it was "soft." I bet whoever transfered the movie thought so as well, and tried to "sharpen" it up. He/She was probably staring at a 13" inch monitor--the EE is that bad in some scenes! In the dark background/high contrast scenes, i find the ringing in the faces objectionable as well. What a crying shame.

I hope this movie is given a new transfer when it becomes available in a special edition (not announced as far as I know!).
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page