Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon !!!!!!!!!
Now I know why the Tiger is hiding,I wouldnt show my face
either if I was in this piece of ----
My parents had a great quote for this film
"It looks like Superman with strings"
I mean come on guys Bruce Lee films were a little far
fetched,but this is just plain lunney
Oh well a nother drink coaster for my Miller Genuine
I hope I made myself clear on what I thought of this flickhttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
L8TR
Ray

------------------
If it ain't broke, fix it anyway !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-14-2001, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Get it through your head that the story is a mythic fantasy and shouldn't be mistaken for what you consider to be reality. I for one, thought Crouching Tiger should have won Best Picture over Gladiator, which shouldn't even have been nominated.

------------------
My current entertainment setup:
Panasonic 27" TV, Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player (connected via S-Video), Aiwa Dolby Pro Logic Mini-Surround System, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2...(and more to come!)

My current entertainment setup:
Toshiba 14" TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi A/V Receiver, Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Xbox 360
post #3 of 36 Old 06-14-2001, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ray, a Chinese dude might think that the legend of King Artur and the sword in the stone was daft too. Of course, he'd be wrong, as I think you are too. I think this film paints an intresting picture of Chinese mythology. I really liked the theame music too. There were some really bad films last year, BATTLEFIELD EARTH, THE LADIES MAN, and DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR come to mind quickly. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #4 of 36 Old 06-14-2001, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think fantasy sword movies are an accepted part of Chinese cinematic culture. Not so, in the US. But I was able to "suspend my disbelief" and enjoy the film.
post #5 of 36 Old 06-14-2001, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, good points have been made to the contrary already, so I'll just go for the cheap shot.

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" couldn't possibly be the worst film of the year, because it didn't come out this year http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #6 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 12:12 AM

[This message has been edited by Roland Wandinger (edited 06-15-2001).]
post #7 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Crouching Tiger should have won Best Picture over Gladiator
I though CTHD was just OK, nothing special while GLADIATOR got what it deserved: BEST PICTURE.

Quote:
There were some really bad films last year, BATTLEFIELD EARTH, THE LADIES MAN, and DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR come to mind quickly.
Dead on! I'm always puzzled that each year great movies get labeled worst picture but thrash like that does not get mentioned. How do these people evaluate a movie???
post #8 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">i must agree. while crouching tiger certainly had good effects and renewed interest in martial arts and mysticism, it's acting left a lot to be desired. as popular as it was, it certainly should've not been granted all those nominations. and don't even joke that it should've beat gladiator - gimme a break.

back to topic - worst movie is indeed battlefield earth.</FONT f>

------------------
<FONT face="Verdana"><FONT size="2">Vu </FONT f></FONT s>
<FONT size="1">radeon htpc
denon avr-3300
denon dvd-2500
mitsubishi ws-55805
monitor audo silver series </FONT s>
post #9 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

"Battlefield Earth" wins in all categories, worst acting, worst film direction, worst cinematography, worst costume and anything else you can imagine.

The worse part I hear is that Travolta wants to do a sequel. Where the heck is Jack Valenti when you need him?

[This message has been edited by Tim Wilkins (edited 06-15-2001).]
post #10 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

And here I thought Ebert and Roeper were bad movie critics. Oh well, can't please everybody all the time!

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
post #11 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Ya know, I saw CROUCHING TIGER the WEEK that it came out. I thoroughly enjoyed it (at the time) ... then the PR & HYPE wheel started turning and I began to like it less and less. I couldn't believe the people calling this the best film they had ever seen, let alone picture of the year. No freakin' way. Now, I just think this movie was decent and I will never own it. I too think the acting was bad and I didn't, EVEN ONCE, believe the love affair between Michelle Yeow and Chow Yun Fat. But to call this movie THE WORST PICTURE OF THE YEAR is ridiculous.

BATTLEFIELD EARTH DEFINITELY GETS MY VOTE!!! That is one of the biggest pieces of crap of all-time. I saw a movie called "TIL THERE WAS YOU" starring Jeanne Tripplehorn a couple years ago and I walked out on it, it was soooo bad. I have NEVER walked out of a film in my entire life, no matter how bad it is. I never thought anything would take it's place as the worst ever. I was wrong ...

ALL HAIL BATTLEFIELD EARTH. KING OF CRAP!

By the way, I read just a week ago that there is an animated BATTLEFIELD EARTH in the works and the lead Travolta Alien will be voiced by none other than GRIZZLY ADAMS (Dan Haggerty) ... I had to laugh.
post #12 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Ray
Advanced Member

I am certinally no film critic
But I enjoyed Battle Field Earth,not a great film
but at least the prisoner cave man used airplanes to fly
If I want to see puppets flying like in CTHD I will
watch Mister Rogers,much more believable even though it
to is fantasy
Cheers Ray

------------------
post #13 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I enjoyed Battle Field Earth
Holy cow man, you just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper...just teasing!http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif We all have our own tastes and preferences, and that's another part of what makes life fun and interesting.

Still, I never thought I'd see the words "worst picture" and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" in the same sentence. But then again, this whole thread has surprised me, as I never thought I would see the word "enjoyed" and "Battlefield Earth" in the same sentence either.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
post #14 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 10:16 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Crow331:
"This must be the fourth thread on this useless topic."

Is it useless if people post in it?

I see a newbie in this thread who probably has never seen the previous topics. I see 4 people who have been members since 1999 responding, who had obviously seen the previous posts as well. I saw them too, but this is the first time I have ever responded ...

Posts get repeated all the time in AVS because of newbies and posts just "disappearing" after a couple months ... Lighten up and just ignore it.
Posting something doesn't make it usefull. Needless repetition makes it useless.

Newbies can learn to use the "search" function just like I did. It's quite helpful. And I don't think the fact that posts occasionally get lost justifies beating dead horses over and over again, or at the very least, opening new threads to beat said horses.

I don't mind these debate per se. Sometimes they can be quite fun. However, the least the poster could do would be to write an accurate subject, so those of us tired of this particular debate can blip right on by it.

The CTHD debates are particularly tiresome because they are all exactly the same. Somebody plays the part of the skeptic and states they hate it and don't get it. Someone else steps in and states it's because they aren't Chinese or some variation on that theme. Arguments re: Occidental vs. Oriental myth-making commence, with neither side giving an inch. Then normally a couple folks will pop in with "well, I liked it but it wasn't great". Inevitably some poor soul will state that it should have won best picture instead of Gladiator and then a Gladiator debate will start. It's like USENET, only a little move civil.

At the very least, dig up one of the older threads and post to it. Heck, the moderators on this forum constantly ask forum members to do just that to avoid all this repetition.

------------------
Ix
My Opinions may be wrong when compared to yours

View pics of my Home Theater & more at:
My HT site
post #15 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 10:16 AM

In response to Roland's comment about "Dude Where's My Car" as the worst film-

My rebuttal to this is that at least "Dude" knew what it was- a fun, dumb, idiotic film and it had a great time telling a funny, stupid story.

Battlefield Earth was a whole other matter- the reason it played so poorly was because it took itself seriously- and it started in one genre (Sci-Fi) but the audience took it to another one (comedy) because it was so ridiculously bad it became humorous.

Obviously Dude Where's My Car was not a great or even good film- it still gave its target audience what they wanted- 90 minutes of pointless comedy.
post #16 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
I'll try to play the judge here:

WORST: BATTLEFIELD EARTH
MOST OVERHYPED: CTHD and TRAFFIC
NICE GRAND HOLLYWOOD COME BACK: GLADIATOR ( personal opinion: I think it's one of the best movie ever done)

------------------
for cinema sound in your HT, use cinema speakers and cinema amps! unbeatable.
post #17 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Ray
Advanced Member

Hi
Well at least I am honest in my assessment and opion
The only thing this should have been nominated for
was a rasberry.Damn I didnt know that sooo many of you had
stock options in this flick http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Ahh yes go ahead and close the thread sensorship is grand when you dont agree !
There must be very little interest in this thread
Its burin baby!I didnt like it you did
Jeezzzzzzze Lighten up,PS do any of you happen to work for the promo department of Sony Pictures?? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
L8TR
Ray

------------------
post #18 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Swampfox, thru extrapolation, I think I've figured out why all those mutants, mutated in X-MEN. The obvious answer is yellow #7....but it could be red #2....Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #19 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 11:05 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
Hi
Well at least I am honest in my assessment and opion
The only thing this should have been nominated for
was a rasberry.Damn I didnt know that sooo many of you had
stock options in this flick http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Ahh yes go ahead and close the thread sensorship is grand when you dont agree !
There must be very little interest in this thread
Its burin baby!I didnt like it you did
Jeezzzzzzze Lighten up,PS do any of you happen to work for the promo department of Sony Pictures?? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
L8TR
Ray

1)I can't spell very well either, but I have learned to use the checker.
2)It would be censorship if they "deleted" the thread, not closed it.
3)No, I don't have any connections to Sony. And you know what? I don't think CTHD is the greatest film ever made either. What I would really like is for this forum not to turn into the kind of free for all waste of time the HT newsgroups have become....

------------------
Ix

My HT site
post #20 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Ray
Advanced Member

Well
I dont think that this thread is deserving of personell
attacks, so Mr Moderator please close this thread
at my request.I promise I will be more politically correct
in the future,and try to follow the fourm rules.Sorry I didnt use the spell checker
I hope you all can understand this post.
Thanks Ray

------------------
post #21 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am ususually the first person to recommend that people USE the search function to research questions vs. ask the same question again & again, but I would be the last to suggest closing a thread. This really isn't a technical question thread, regardless.

Nobody is forcing anyone to read this or to reply to it. Chill.

By the way, limiting discussion IS a form of censorship. Too bad we could have a little libertarian philosophy to leave folks alone and not impose self important indignation.

Well see how many more responses there will be to this "useless" thread.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #22 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 08:13 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
I am ususually the first person to recommend that people USE the search function to research questions vs. ask the same question again & again, but I would be the last to suggest closing a thread. This really isn't a technical question thread, regardless.

Nobody is forcing anyone to read this or to reply to it. Chill.

By the way, limiting discussion IS a form of censorship. Too bad we could have a little libertarian philosophy to leave folks alone and not impose self important indignation.

Well see how many more responses there will be to this "useless" thread.

Tim
There will be a few more I'm sure, given that the topic has shifted.

You're right, suggesting to close this thread is probably not the best answer. I'd just like to avoid seeing this forum, which is one of the best, most informative, and civil HT forums on the net, turn into the kind of repetitive debate that USENET became years ago. There's plenty of &lt;brand x/movie x/OS x/etc x/sucks/rules&gt; to go around on the net these days. I guess more than anything, I was looking for more reasoned debate. There are plenty of valid criticisms to make about CTHD but I'm not seeing many of them herehttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Ix

My HT site
post #23 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 08:19 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
Well
I dont think that this thread is deserving of personell
attacks, so Mr Moderator please close this thread
at my request.I promise I will be more politically correct
in the future,and try to follow the fourm rules.Sorry I didnt use the spell checker
I hope you all can understand this post.
Thanks Ray

I'm not personally attacking you dude, just giving serious advice. I really can't spell worth a darn. And spelling, research has proven over the years, is not a sign of intelligence - but many people perceive it as so. My suggestion is to use the built in spell checker this forum has (it's one of the few with one) like I do. People will take you a LOT more seriously that way, trust me. When I post to other forums, I actually cut and paste the text into Word and spell check it, then paste it back. Works wonders.

And no one is telling you you are politically incorrect. Again, another suggestion, take it for what you will, is that if you are going to make declarative statements like "this movie is the worst of the year" that you give specifics as to why you think so. Otherwise you open yourself for rebuttal. That's all.

Cheers,

------------------
Ix

My HT site
post #24 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 09:37 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Is there a moderator who can close this thread? I thought we had already beaten the "CTHD Sucks/Great!" debate to death already. This must be the fourth thread on this useless topic. It's clear that debating whether CTHD is good or not is the equivalent of the Mac vs. PC debate in the computer world. And the subject oh so cleverly doesn't even mention it's about CTHD so those of us bored by it can avoid it.

------------------
Ix

My HT site
post #25 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I liked CTHD, my wife hated it. Couldn't get the fantasy aspect. The next night we watched X-Men. She bought it hook, line, and sinker! Go figure.
Of the two, X-Men was harder to me to suspend disbelief. The pretense of some science, made it even harder fo me. The total misunderstanding of Darwin, Genetics, Physics was annoying. Yet, in our western culture we accept it, but flying swordsman movies are stupid! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif
post #26 of 36 Old 06-15-2001, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

"This must be the fourth thread on this useless topic."

Is it useless if people post in it?

I see a newbie in this thread who probably has never seen the previous topics. I see 4 people who have been members since 1999 responding, who had obviously seen the previous posts as well. I saw them too, but this is the first time I have ever responded ...

Posts get repeated all the time in AVS because of newbies and posts just "disappearing" after a couple months ... Lighten up and just ignore it.

Besides, I think this thread is quickly turning into a BATTLEFIELD EARTH BLOWS post

[This message has been edited by Crow331 (edited 06-15-2001).]
post #27 of 36 Old 06-16-2001, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe that people were attacking the wonderful performances in this film. The love between Li Mu Bai and Shu Lien was very easy to see. It was a forbidden love, and they were caught between their love for each other and their loyalty to the fiance/brother in arms that had passed away.

Zhang Ziyi's performance was also exceptional. She was very believable as a hot-tempered girl who was caught between her duty to her family, and her desires.

These are very distinct Asian themes that I think many Americans don't understand (no offense).

I have heard criticism about the inability of the actors to speak good Mandarin. I can't argue with that as I only speak a handful of words in Mandarin. Overall I really found the film to be the best film of 2000. It delivered exactly what I wanted, a martial arts film with a wonderful story, something that they usually lack.

[This message has been edited by joekun (edited 06-16-2001).]
post #28 of 36 Old 06-17-2001, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I agree with joekun. It seems that people who can't get over the flying and the tree scenes don't know or understand Chinese mysticism. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and the actors' performances were wonderful.

As much as I also liked Gladiator, I thought CTHD should have won, although I doubted it would for the same simple reasons this thread was started! It seems that people either love or hate the movie...
post #29 of 36 Old 06-17-2001, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I haven't seen CTHD (though it's on order) but I can understand that some people don't like the "flying" bit.
I don't have a problem with it but some people can't get over it when it's not identifiable to the law of physics.
Alot of friends don't like that kind of movies and in some places I can agree. E.g. "Romeo must Die" when Jet Li makes a strange move, which actualy looks strange, he seems to stop in mid air and it's not like the Matrix effect.
RmD is on the other hand based in present time which CTHD is not.

Just my 2 cents.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #30 of 36 Old 06-17-2001, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Ray
Advanced Member

Hi
Well I guess I can see some of your objections to
my observations with the movie.I guess If you were
an ambulance driver you would of liked the movie
Raising The Dead,I thought it was terrible.I will however
state we had a house full of guests to watch CTHD,everyone
of them thought the flick was absurd.I know for a fact that none of us were critics,just diehard movie fans.If you notice the title to the thread it states "My nomination"
It is what I think and still think.Generally I find if
Roger Ebert and the other Artsy Fartsy crowd like it
I cant stand it.I look at movies as an entertainment form
not art or anything else
Cheers Ray

------------------
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page