Stargate SG-1 box selling well? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-16-2001, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was hoping that the SG-1 box would sell really well so that Season 2 would come out soon. I just got into the show about 8 months ago, and am really hooked :-)

I looked around for sales info, but haven't found any. Has anyone else seen some info? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-16-2001, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
From what I've heard it's selling well. Infact, a friend told me today that the initial pressing has already sold out. But, I can't say how valid his source is.

Currently Season 2 has been rumored to be scheduled for May 2002. It seems that Season 1 was mostly a test of the market. So, it'll be awhile before they can get the next season out.

The season one box was my first taste of this series and already I'm in withdrawl.

Chad

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #3 of 13 Old 06-16-2001, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks for the info! It's gonna be a long year if Season 2 doesn't get released until next May!
post #4 of 13 Old 06-16-2001, 09:09 PM

Liked: 11
You could always get the UK releases. They are already almost done with season 3.

PS-I thought about it, but it would mean a new DVD player that can do PAL.

[This message has been edited by Anubis (edited 06-17-2001).]
post #5 of 13 Old 06-16-2001, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, my Mits can't display PAL output otherwise I would be set. I did hear that the discs available in the U.K. were not in order though, that they were more like "best of" collections. Haven't really checked into it myself.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-17-2001, 01:06 AM

Liked: 11
The ones from the UK started out as Best of's for the first season, but became normal seasons starting with season 2 on. Heck, our season 1 DVD's aren't even in the original order. They are in syndication order which was differnt from the showtime order (ie. the Nox was a much earlier ep).

[This message has been edited by Anubis (edited 06-17-2001).]
post #7 of 13 Old 06-17-2001, 08:55 PM

Doesn't matter how well the boxset sells they're not going to release any other boxsets early. The show is in syndication and SCFI paid for the rights and marketing to air Stargate-SG1 in 2002. http://205.137.195.110/home/news/press033098.html
Why would MGM screw that up?

Jim
post #8 of 13 Old 06-17-2001, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have read that future releases would depend upon sales of the first season box. I also saw in a chat that the 2nd season was tentatively scheduled for May of 2002, but if there is demand, you never know...

I don't really think that DVD box sets would ruin their syndication deal.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2001, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joekun:
I have read that future releases would depend upon sales of the first season box. I also saw in a chat that the 2nd season was tentatively scheduled for May of 2002, but if there is demand, you never know...

I don't really think that DVD box sets would ruin their syndication deal.
Who would watch it on syndication if they had the DVD? It's not going to happen any sooner, if it does great but I doubt it.

Jim
post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2001, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think that everyone who would watch the show in syndication would want to own it on DVD, especially considering the price. They're supposed to be releasing Buffy season 1 by the end of the year on DVD, and it hasn't been syndicated yet. I believe the shows have been running about the same number of seasons.

Mash has been available on video for years, yet still does well in syndication (at least it's still on constantly).
post #11 of 13 Old 06-18-2001, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joekun:
I don't think that everyone who would watch the show in syndication would want to own it on DVD, especially considering the price. They're supposed to be releasing Buffy season 1 by the end of the year on DVD, and it hasn't been syndicated yet. I believe the shows have been running about the same number of seasons.

Mash has been available on video for years, yet still does well in syndication (at least it's still on constantly).
Good point but we are talking about crummy VHS and not DVD. Let's look at a different way, SCFI has paid MGM serious $$$ for exclusive rights to Starge-SG1 and I don't think they be too pleased to see all or many seasons already on DVD when they're about to air the show. I hope I'm wrong I like the series and I already purchase all of season 2 and 3 from the UK; I'm not a very patient person http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Jim

post #12 of 13 Old 06-18-2001, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

True, but more people own VCRs than DVD players. I think video and syndication are separate markets that can both do well. X-Files is another good example. I don't think Fox would release them if they were concerned that people would no longer watch the reruns on FX.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong, and MGM may be thinking what you are saying.

Out of curiosity, how much did those seasons cost you on DVD? Maybe I should pick up a cheap Apex or something that can convert PAL to NTSC http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 06-18-2001, 04:16 PM

I purchase them when the dollar was strong so the conversion from the $ to the pound wasn't too bad. $170 for both season and it only took 2 days to get here.

Jim
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page