Music DVD vs. DVD Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-19-2001, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I am looking for an explaination. I have a demo DVD from "Silverline" that contains music. It claims 24 bit/ 96 khz sampling. It sounds fantastic on my DVD player.

I was recently talking to sombody who told me that this is not the same as an Audio DVD? And that a special DVD player is required to play the Audio DVD.

Is this correct? And if so, why wouldn't the industry simply use a normal DVD?

------------------
Mark A. Torre
NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Torre (edited 06-19-2001).]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-20-2001, 02:18 PM

I have been looking into this as well and I am surprised that the industry is trying to push DVD-A into the market. Yes it is a better sound (though I have not heard it). But the mass consumer mostly buys what is convieniant and affordable which DVD-A and SACD is not. However like you already said why not use DVD-V 24/96 which is readily available. I am not saying get rid of anything else but definatly use DVD-V for music since it is so much better than CD's. I know DTS has some music already on DVD but the selection is not worth the money. I would spend the $30 on something worth listen to.

DVD-A runs 24/196 which is a high frequency sampeling and DVD-V is 24/96 which is a lower sameling.
SACD is 24/196 but is a whole other format. I have heard it and it does sound great but for my stereo I will never fully bennifit from the purity this reprodution can produce.
CDs at 16/44 is outdated and can be improved.

"Laugh it up fuzzball!!!"
~of==o>
"I'm your huckleberry"
<><
post #3 of 15 Old 06-20-2001, 03:22 PM

The big difference between the DVD-Audio format and SACD format: DVD-Audio uses PCM (Pulse Code Modulation), while SACD uses DSD (Direct Stream Digital).

PCM is the format used for CD's, and some say it's outdated. DSD just uses single bits, and from a technical standpoint is easier to implement and should have a lower noise floor.

Having said all of that, I have a Panny RP91 that plays back DVD-Audio. I think it sounds fantastic!
post #4 of 15 Old 06-20-2001, 04:07 PM

Mooseboy, I have my Sony CX 860 300 DVD changer set to download the 5.1 into 2 channel PCM. I have a out of production Dolby Pro-Logic Headphone system that I am going to be using for quite a while.

I don't have a computer to get the 'Lake' Dolby Headphone, so I use the OOP Virtal Listening Systems product made for Sennheiser. No Pulse Code Modulation, isn't dead yet in my home theatre.

------------------

"smiles are contagious: be a carrier" :-) Tony

RCA F38310JVR4 HDTV
Sony CX860 DVD
Sony CX850D DVD
Pioneer F-1007 CD
Pioneer PDF-904 CD
Sharp VHS Vcr
Sennheiser Pro
Sony V6 Headphones
Silver Serpent Cables

"smiles are contagious: be a carrier" :-) Tony

RCA F38310JVR4 HDTV
Sony CX860 DVD
Sony CX850D DVD
Pioneer F-1007 CD
Pioneer PDF-904 CD
Sharp VHS Vcr
Sennheiser Pro
Sony V6 Headphones
Silver Serpent Cables
post #5 of 15 Old 06-20-2001, 09:07 PM

Liked: 12
Yes, dvd audio is a multichannel format. It will use all five plus the sub. The 96 kHz/ 24 bit you probably heard was high resolution uncompressed PCM stereo (2 channels). I like them both very much.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-20-2001, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses:
Yes, dvd audio is a multichannel format. It will use all five plus the sub. The 96 kHz/ 24 bit you probably heard was high resolution uncompressed PCM stereo (2 channels). I like them both very much. Also, you do need a dvd player capable of DVD AUDIO to play DVD audio dvds. Actually, you can still play them without one, but the format will be stereo and not the multichannel.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-21-2001, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses:
Yes, dvd audio is a multichannel format. It will use all five plus the sub. The 96 kHz/ 24 bit you probably heard was high resolution uncompressed PCM stereo (2 channels). I like them both very much.
Nope, the demo DVD that I have is 6 channel too (just like a DVD). It sounds fantastic. Excellent useage of all 5.1 channels.

I too can not understand why we can't have this format instead of DVD-Audio. It is my understanding that DVD-Audio also requires a special input on your receiver. They cannot be copied so maybe thats the reason for the format. Having music on a regular 5.1 channel DVD is too easy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Mark A. Torre

post #8 of 15 Old 06-21-2001, 08:05 AM

I also have a few DTS 5.1 channel cds. They sound really good, too. It seems like it will be 6 months to 2 years before a dominant format emerges. I'm waiting to buy new hardware until then. I may get a progressive scan player, though, and it may have DVD-Audio, not sure yet.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-21-2001, 08:23 AM

For a pure DSD audio SACD check out; http://www.redrosemusic.com/

------------------
Home Theater Photos at:
http://members5.clubphoto.com/kathy376507/
post #10 of 15 Old 06-21-2001, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jelrod, to quote Randy Quaid in "Independance Day"

"Are you sure?"

------------------
Mark A. Torre

post #11 of 15 Old 06-21-2001, 01:00 PM

Here, this should answer a few quesions. http://www.dvdaudiopreview.com/splash.html
post #12 of 15 Old 06-21-2001, 09:18 PM

Torre, you can play DVD-A in a DVD-V player with 5.1 sound.
The format has been coded to play on both types of player.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-22-2001, 11:17 AM

The Difference between SACD and DVD-A is SACD has a higher resolution. But this is not the first time Sony has produced something that is superior to other products. Remember Beta tapes, MIDI disks, Integrated speaker systems.
The problem is Sony don't want to sell the licensing for other manufactures to use these ideas like Panasonic did for the DVD so everyone could use it. That is why I don't think SACD will make the main stream. DVD-A doesn't have as high a frequency as SACD but DVD-A can be played in dvd players and I think DVD-A it will replace CD's all together in a couple of years.
I think it would be a good idea to be able to buy box sets on one dvd. Imagine all of Led Zeppelin on one disk. Pretty cool idea, maybe I shouldn't have to you guys. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Sorry for the misspelling!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Michael4JBL (edited 06-22-2001).]

"Laugh it up fuzzball!!!"
~of==o>
"I'm your huckleberry"
<><
post #14 of 15 Old 06-22-2001, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael4JBL:
But this is not the first time Sony has produced something that is soupier to other products. Remember Beta tapes, MIDI disks, Integrated speaker systems.
Where can I find more of Sony's soupier products? I'm particularly interested in the vegetable beef and potato varieties. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

post #15 of 15 Old 06-23-2001, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael4JBL:
The difference between SACD and DVD-A is SACD has a higher resolution. But this is not the first time Sony has produced something that is superior to other products. Remember Beta tapes, MIDI disks, Integrated speaker systems.

The problem is Sony don't want to sell the licensing for other manufactures to use these ideas like Panasonic did for the DVD so everyone could use it. That is why I don't think SACD will make the main stream. DVD-A doesn't have as high a frequency as SACD but DVD-A can be played in dvd players and I think DVD-A it will replace CD's all together in a couple of years.
Don't forget that Sony & Philips also developed something called the Compact Disc (CD). That one did catch on.

As for licensing player makers, Sony & Philips are licensing SACD to them just as they did with CD. And they have handed out more than a few of those licenses as the image at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ra/cessacd.jpg indicates.

And the royalties to press SACD discs are lower (3 cents/disc) than the royalties for DVD-A discs (40 cents/disc + watermarking royalties to Verance).

Time will tell which format prevails.
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page