Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-2001, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also what does it look like. I think I'm noticing it, but do not know for sure

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2001, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well what is causing the slight blue line I see at certain parts of movies. I did convergence on my projector and everything is in line. What is happening is blacks and facial outlines sometimes contain ever so slight blue lines to the sides of them. It is not isolated meaning to the left or right. It just depends on the image. It really annoys me!

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-2001, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There is electronic "ringing" that originates from such things as poorly impedance-matched components and sharpness control overuse, but the so-called "edge enhancement" is usually applied during the digital video "authoring" transferring process (for what is worth, I do not believe EE exists in HD anomorphic masters). Once the EE is applied to the video signal by the authoring technician or telecine operator, there is little or next to nothing that we can do to mitigate or eliminate such pesky, odious artifact.

I agree with Jeroen: edge enhancement destroys the illusion of viewing video-originated images in cinema-like settings. EE should never be used neither as a crutch nor as an alternative to poor QC or whatever the reasons for its use. The DVD format doesn't need it!!... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

-THTS
post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2001, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
You may be seeing Y/C delay issues. If you don't see it in still/pause on a black and white image but you see it with movement in color images your luminance and chroma may be out of sync. This may be a DVD player adjustment a projector adjustment or a problem with the DVD itself. See if it is visible with multiple DVDs. The description you are giving is not edge enhancement.

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2001, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wathced Nightmare on elm steet 6 last night. I did not notice it if it was there.

Does anyone have this disc because I had some problems during the 3D scenes and 1/2 of them looked great while the other half was a bit blurry.

I think my problem is actually related to gray scale. As when the image is not well lit or it get a tad darker I see slight blue edges on sharp pictures.

I have not scene it on HDTV yet! Which kindof led me to believe that the actual edge enhancement around certain images results in a not quite clear image display.

PS my projector is also slightly out of focus to compensate for the blue tube not being as bright. I do notice the blue edges in title scenes a lot and do not know if it supposed to be there or not.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2001, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hank,

If you're seeing blue fringing then it is a misconvergance error; the blue tube needs to be properly aligned to the red and green CRTs so that all three produce pure white lines in a crosshatch pattern...or close as possible.

The blurring or out of focus effect has nothing to do with the gray scale; that's altogether a different issue.

Of course, neither of those two issues have anything to do with either electronic ringing (I would also include chroma/luminance or any other video processing circuitry delay here as well) or edge enhancement (the sole province of software sourcing) matters.

Hope this helps...

-THTS
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page