NETFLIX Alternatives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2001, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too am getting very annoyed at the increasing long waits for current and not-so-current movies. Are there really any better alternatives out there as far as price and service are concerned?

Brian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-02-2001, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I switched over to rentmyDVD.com. Way better than netflix and if you live on the east coast you get the discs much faster. They basically have the same pricing. Only downside is that their selection is not quite as good. Out of my original que from netflix there were 8 discs out of 60 that rentmyDVD did not have.

John Moschella

John Moschella
post #3 of 11 Old 07-02-2001, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't tried them yet, but someone recommended http://www.dvdovernight.com

You pay $3 per movie and get to keep them for a week.

--Burke
post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2001, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

John I was curious. Were those 8 DVD's they did not have newer, more maintstream titles, or were they more obscure?

Thanks,
Brian.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2001, 07:24 PM

I have used dvdovernight many times without any problems. The postal service lost one shipment and they credited my account without a hassle. They respond by email quickly. I highly recommend them.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-05-2001, 01:26 PM

$3.00 shipping for one disk?

From dvdovernight web site

DVD Billing And Pricing
All DVDs at DVDO are $3 per movie per week. Flat rate shipping is an additional $3 regardless of the amount of movies in your order (limit of 4 movies per order).

http://www.dvdovernight.com/dvd/custservice.html

Post Elven Ent
post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2001, 08:57 AM

Do any of these DVD rental companies provide a mechanism for submitting suggestions of DVDs that you would like to see them carry?

I haven't seen it yet, and would be inclined to patronize a place that shows this minimal regard for their customers.

BTW, I have a local video store (Sight and Sound in Waltham, MA) where I prefer to rent, but there are titles that they understandably can't carry because of limited demand. Sight and Sound is a great place; they still rent LaserDiscs; they never carried VHS. So I am not looking to rent the latest "hot" movies off the internet, just some lesser known titles.

I have noticed that rentmydvd.com has at least one title that Netflix does not carry: the British series: "Jewel in the Crown" (they rent the three disks separately, as Netflix does with "I, Claudius" and the recent adaptation of "Dune").

post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2001, 06:33 AM

I've noticed that NetFlix now rents 2 disc editions as 2 separate items. I took a look at rentmydvd, and they're doing the same thing.
Neither one seems to have a "send me both of these together or not this selection at all" option, which, IMO, is needed if they're going to do something like this.
I typically rent DVDs before buying them, and it did not make sense to me to get LOA in two separate rentals (and possibly get disc 2 first).
I'm about to sign up for a 2-discs-out rentmydvd membership as a trial to see about turn around times, service, etc.
Does anyone know if they maintain a rental queue the way NetFlix does - or do you need to go through the process of deciding what's next each time you return a disc?
Bob
PS: I'm shy about giving up my NetFlix membership as I have a 4-discs-out membership, and they appear to be reducing this to 3-discs-out. I'm sure this'll change for me too - but it hasn't yet...
post #9 of 11 Old 07-09-2001, 12:19 PM

What I did last week was, I changed my netflix membership to 2/month and signed up for rentmydvd for 2/month. Rentmydvd ships the NY metro area disks from Hackensack, NJ, which should be great for me because I live in Teaneck, which is the next town east of Hackensack.
I received my first movies last Friday, July 6, and they were shipped on July 3rd, and that was pretty fast considering the July 4th holiday.

rentmydvd has a "wishlist" that is the equivalent of the netflix queue.

I'll be comparing both services to find out which I'll like better (fast delivery or larger selection).
post #10 of 11 Old 07-09-2001, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

If rentmydvd wants me to switch, it would be a whole lot easier if they could "scrape" my NetFlix rental queue and ratings. If have 400 movies on my queue and have rated >250. I don't want to have re-enter all of that, so inertia will prevent me from switching right now.

--Burke
post #11 of 11 Old 07-11-2001, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briandx:
John I was curious. Were those 8 DVD's they did not have newer, more maintstream titles, or were they more obscure?

Thanks,
Brian.
Brian, I would consider them more obscure. Things like Nosferatu, Silent Running, Aria ...

A more general comment. If you live on the east coast its a no-brainer compared to Netflix. I get my discs much faster and have less problems getting newer releases like Traffic or Requiem for a Dream. The 4 per month deal with rentmyDVD is actually one dollar cheaper and I don't have to pay tax. One downside that hasn't been mentioned is that the Netflix website is better although the queue arrangement works the same for both. I find the rentmyDVD site slow and re-arranging the queue time consuming.

John Moschella

John Moschella
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page