PAL DVDs: Are They Really Better Than NTSC Region 1 Releases???... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 47 Old 07-05-2001, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Larry

Quote:
I have watched the UK PAL DVD's of Blade, Starship Troopers and Fifth Element. I didn't detect any extra detail over the R1 NTSC discs.
Blade and The fifth Element are not distributed by the same studio as in the US, New Line and Columbia but rather by independent Euro companies where origin of sourcematerial and transfer is not known. These two titles are infamous to be inferior to their R1 counterpart especially since the R1 versions of both titles are reference DVDs.

There will however be a Special 2 disc edition of The Fifth Element released in Germany on September 3rd. Hopefully this will feature a new transfer. It will reportable have and english DTS- ES Descret track as well.

I can't comment on the old R2 version of Starship Troopers since I have never seen it. It's even a flipper, isn't it?
Just recently there has been a SE released in several European countries which might also have a new transfer.

Quote:
I have the German Lost Highway DVD and it didn't look to me to have the extra 20% vertical detail that PAL theoretically provides over NTSC.
What did you compare this title too? If I'm not mistaken there is only a nonanamorphic version in Japan release which is supposed to be inferior to the German release? I to have the German version and I think it looks the best this movie has ever on any homevideo format, especially compared to the NTSC LD, which is not hard to top! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Quote:
I've thought about buying the UK PAL Bound
I also have had the R1 which I never liked and was very happy to have received the UK version. Very good transfer!!
Just keep your old edition and compare the two side by side.

Quote:
Too bad about the pal speedup though.
I wonder if it is somehow possible to slow down the playback speed of a PAL DVD while playing?

Quote:
i (like uncle e iirc) was using a player with cinematrix psm-1 mod which doesn't have a clue about properly handling pal film sources.
I'm too are using a PSM-1 and I know what you mean. Here is hoping for the PSM-2 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 07-05-2001, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

To get the most out of PAL, maybe I should try a true PAL player that does progressive. Whoops, wait a minute, there are'nt any. Oh well, Skyworth (or Psm-1/2) will have to do.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #33 of 47 Old 07-05-2001, 06:49 AM

Hi,

there are in fact at least 3 true PAL progressive players:

1) Denon 2800 with hacked firmware (no problem)
2) Bestvision CineUltra
3) Skyworth 1050P

Yours,

Philip
post #34 of 47 Old 07-05-2001, 06:49 PM

Liked: 12
It would be impossible to slow the PAL sound and still maintain a watchable image from your DVD.

Because PAL Video is scanned at 25 FPS and the correct Film Speed is 24 FPS, the Sound on PAL Discs is speeded up to keep in Sync with the faster PAL video image.
Any slowing down of the sound would result in a completely out of Sync situation in a matter of seconds.

It is possible to drop the pitch to the correct level, but once again this does not slow the speed, for the same reason.
Pitch correction is achieved by editing and removing small milliseconds of sound information every second or so.
Because of the small amount of information removed at any time, there are no noticable sound problems.
The sound may still be 4% faster, but the tone of Voices and Musical Instruments sound 100% better.
Most People would never notice the Speedup once the Pitch has been corrected.
Pitch correction at the mastering stage is easy to do, but most studios don't bother.
Maybe if enough complaints get back to the Studios, something will be done about it.

To the best of my knowledge, PAL Speedup is not a problem with any Videotape sourced program, as I understand that NTSC and PAL both scan at the same speed? (Somebody more technical than I, can verify or correct me on that one)

Video Taped- Concerts, Sports and TV Shows, should sound the same in both formats.

post #35 of 47 Old 07-05-2001, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Roland,
Quote:
Blade and The fifth Element are not distributed by the same studio as in the US, New Line and Columbia but rather by independent Euro companies where origin of sourcematerial and transfer is not known. These two titles are infamous to be inferior to their R1 counterpart especially since the R1 versions of both titles are reference DVDs.
I didn't know that.
Quote:
There will however be a Special 2 disc edition of The Fifth Element released in Germany on September 3rd. Hopefully this will feature a new transfer. It will reportable have and english DTS- ES Descret track as well.
I heard about that. I will probably buy it, but I am also interested in the special features which are supposed to be 180 minutes! That's a lot of footage.
Quote:
I can't comment on the old R2 version of Starship Troopers since I have never seen it. It's even a flipper, isn't it?
Yes. I read some rave reviews of the video quality of the disc. I still preferred the R1 and I couldn't see the extra detail that should have been there.
Quote:
What did you compare this title (Lost Highway) too? If I'm not mistaken there is only a nonanamorphic version in Japan release which is supposed to be inferior to the German release? I to have the German version and I think it looks the best this movie has ever on any homevideo format, especially compared to the NTSC LD, which is not hard to top! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif
I agree it is the best looking version. I have the Japanese non anamorphic DVD. The German version blows it away, but not in the sound department. That disc had superior sound, in my opinion. I also have the French anamorphic DVD and it has non removeable French subtitles and a washed out picture. I saw Lost Highway in the theater and I have a vivid recollection of its hues. Anyway, I didn't see an image with 20% more detail than most anamorphic NTSC discs. I own about 600 DVD's and I've watched them on my calibrated to 6500K CRT monitor and my 3 chip DLP. I'm not saying the resolution wasn't there, but I couldn't see it. In fact, to me, the transfer looked soft, but it is miles above the Japanese DVD. I haven't checked out the laserdisc, although I suspect it would have the best sound.

I will probably buy the UK Bound on your recommendation. I might go for the PAL Vertigo, Face Off and Planet of The Apes. Do you recommend specific countries? Like France for POTA and Germany for Vertigo, etc?
post #36 of 47 Old 07-06-2001, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Hopefully this (German 5th Element SE) will feature a new transfer.
This question was asked on a German Forum as well (areadvd.de). From what has been said there it will indeed feature a new transfer.

Quote:
I'm not saying the resolution wasn't there, but I couldn't see it.
The German version is definitely from different sourcematerial than the NTSC LD. I suspect the Japanese DVD to have the same transfer as the NTSC LD. This movie has never looked "good", always a little odd.

Quote:
I will probably buy the UK Bound on your recommendation. I might go for the PAL Vertigo, Face Off and Planet of The Apes. Do you recommend specific countries? Like France for POTA and Germany for Vertigo, etc?
I have the German POTA because I live in Switzerland and this version is easy to get to and cheap. I think every other European version of this title is just as good since I don't think it has been censored in any country nor are there different versions out with more supplements.
It's distributed by FOX in all European countries.

Btw. there will be the whole Boxset with all 5 movies released in Germany in autumn this year. Lets hope they are 16x9 too especially Beneath The Planes Of The Apes.

I also have the German version of Vertigo for the same reasons above. Also the Face Off SE is uncut in Germany and France.

So depending where you live your local version might be the way to go?

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #37 of 47 Old 07-07-2001, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Roland,
The German POTA appears to be out of print. Maybe it's because of the upcoming boxset. I will give German Vertigo and UK bound a try. R1 Face off had a lackluster transfer. Maybe I'll give the R2 a try.
post #38 of 47 Old 07-08-2001, 01:12 AM

post #39 of 47 Old 07-08-2001, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Ian!
post #40 of 47 Old 07-09-2001, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, it seems this thread has ran its course. I am more interested in the PAL system than I had before, even with the problems inherent to the system as I've gathered by reading all posts. It will be most interesting exploring this format in months to come.

I'd like to thank all who posted and contributed. It is highly appreciated! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-THTS
post #41 of 47 Old 07-10-2001, 03:51 PM

Everybody seems to be pushing region 2 when talking PAL.
Don't forget region 4, as the transfers are quite often the same, sometimes even better and the Aussie Dollar is so low at the moment, that cost wise, DVDs here in Australia are a bargain for overseas purchasers.
post #42 of 47 Old 07-10-2001, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, Doug...can you give me some links to check DVD R4 titles and prices there in Australia? I will appreciate it. It will be cool to explore this area as well.

Thanks! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-THTS
post #43 of 47 Old 07-11-2001, 03:21 AM

www.ezydvd.com.au

This is a very good site for R4 DVDs. I have ordered from them before and I'm very pleased with there service.

One thing I like particular about the Aussi DVDs is that the cover and everything is in english and prices are very reasonable.

There are however not so many titles available in R4 PAL as there are in R2.

My favorite R2 country is still France. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif (True Lies, 16x9 english DD 5.1, released today 11.7.2001) Check it out here:
http://www.cinestore.com/html/fiche_...page=1&id=8876

[This message has been edited by Roland Wandinger (edited 07-11-2001).]
post #44 of 47 Old 07-11-2001, 04:54 PM

Frank,
Though I have never bought from any online dealers here, I have heard good reports from the site that Roland recommends, ezydvd.
You could try www.dvdplaza.com.au they list a variety of recommended sites as well as any bargains to be had.
post #45 of 47 Old 07-11-2001, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Roland, Doug,

Thanks a million for the information! I'll be checking them all.

Great news about the 16x9 enhanced True Lies too...one of my favorite Arnold flicks... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

-THTS
post #46 of 47 Old 07-12-2001, 04:59 AM

Roland, any idea whether the French DVD "All the mornings of the world" (Tous les matins du monde, pardon my french http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif)
has english subtitles???

I would buy it if it has, but if not, then can't use it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Apparently a great flick.

Thx

w
post #47 of 47 Old 07-12-2001, 06:48 AM

http://www.cinestore.com/html/fiche_...page=1&id=1732

According to the specs they give it has "sans" (no) subtitles at all which is typical for their own movies or sometimes they have only french subs (Doberman, Taxi) but never english.
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page