Enhanced for Widescreen TVs Ain't Anamorphic? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2001, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this topic's been beaten to death (I did a search in this Forum - perhaps the re-org has messed up searching deep into the past):
It seems that there are anamorphic dvd's, such as Gladiator, and there are "Enhanced for widescreen TVs", such as Blade Runner.
I just looked at Blade Runner and noticed that it didn't quite fill the screen horizontally, but still left some smallish black vertical lines to the right and left. But this wasn't letterbox, because it was not distorted that way...it was distorted (pinched horizontally) when I changed my set to its 4:3 setting.
Titanic, which is not enhanced or anamorphic, fills the screen at my Full setting, but is stretched horizontally, and therefore needs the 4:3 setting to appear correct.

Funny, I'd thought there was no difference between Enhanced and Anamorphic.

------------------
Christian Vye

-------------------------
e-mail is forever

Christian Vye

-------------------------
e-mail is forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2001, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You are correct. Anamorphic and enhanced for 16:9 or widescreen displays is used by dvds to refer to the same thing. Though, sometimes you'll run across a dvd that is mislabeled. 16:9 fullframe has also been used to refer to anamorphic discs.

Chad

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
Old 07-13-2001, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe the "Blade Runner" DVD windowboxes the picture to compensate for overscan. That way you actually get to see the whole frame.

My TV is set to 3% overscan (you lose 3% of the picture on each side and the top and bottom) which is pretty good compared to most. Even at that setting, a 2.0:1 movie almost fills the screen at the top and the bottom. Since a 16:9 TV is 1.78:1, this shouldn't be, but due to overscan it is. WB chose to give you as much of the picture of "Blade Runner" as they possibly could.

As for not seeing the black bars in 4:3 mode, I've noticed that when the overscan on my TV is set properly for 16:9 mode, that I lose more in 4:3 mode (around 5-6% which is still within "acceptable" limits).
Old 07-14-2001, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Enhanced for widescreen and the term anamorphic ,as it refers to DVD, are synonyms. Blade Runner doesnt reach the edge of the screen on my system either.You can actually see the edge of the exposed film move around in this transfer! Dr No also does this initially but then they fill the screen about five minutes in.(this was originally supposed to be a 1.66:1 film).

[This message has been edited by Art Sonneborn (edited 07-15-2001).]

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 07-15-2001, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The term I have been groping for is window boxing. In Blade Runner it is unusual in that this isn't window boxing since it doesn't reach the edges in the vertical either

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley