Non Anamorphic - Anything Missing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2001, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new here so please excuse me if this topic has already been addressed...

Since purchasing a 16:9 rptv, I've been reading up on anamorphic format and I'm beginning to not only understand but actually see the importance of anamorphic encoded dvds.

In simple terms, this is the way I understand anamorphic to work. By having a tv that can display anamporhic widescreen and a dvd player that can decode the media, I can view the 75 lines of information that non-anamorphic tvs or dvds can't.

On to my question... If I have a non-anamporhic dvd, does this mean that 75 lines of information that were on the master recording missing when the transfer was made? OR...

Does it mean that 75 lines of information were "virtually" added (for lack of a better word) to the transfer so that those with 16:9 setups can have a better visual experience? (meaning the 75 lines were never on the master)

I put in my copy of "Good Will Hunting" and the characters looked distorted (short and fat) on both 16:9 settings. TV=toshiba 56h80.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-13-2001, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Robmeister,

What the anomorphic enhancement does across the board for all movie aspect ratios is that adds 33% of resolution back into the active image, a resolution percentage that otherwise is wasted in the production of black bars (active video) in "letterboxed" video images.

To benefit from the enhancement, a video display would have to have some means of restoring the proper geometrical dimensions when a DVD player is set to output 16x9 signals. Most HDTVRP sets can do it and some Sony 4:3 TV sets, most notably the WEGA series, can do it too. Other equipment, like video scalers and HT-PCs, does as well.

I would'nt sweat too much about the 75 lines of rez you've been told about as the subject is a bit deeper than that. What really matters is that 16x9 enhanced video images should be the norm for all DVD movie releases that have widescreen contents as more REAL resolution is gained by the aplication/implementation of such wonderful process...

Btw, welcome to AVS! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-THTS

[This message has been edited by Frank J Manrique (edited 07-14-2001).]
post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2001, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

hiya robmeister,

The extra lines from an anamorphic dvd are from the source material. The source material has a much higher resolution than what current consumer DVDs can show. The increased resolution is not "virtually" created with an anamorphic DVD, but you are missing lines of resolution with non-anamorphic DVDs.

What type of DVD player do you have? Is it progressive? I've read that some TVs when used with progressive DVD players will not go into 16x9 anamorphic mode. I'm not sure if your TV falls into that catagory.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2001, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm actually in the market for a DVD. I bought a JVC XV-D723GD to try out but didn't keep it. I had heard the the Toshiba 6200 is a good progressive player but I can't find one. A Tweeter dealer suggested that I wait for the replacement model. The DVD player I own now is one of the first Toshiba non-progressive models. It doesn't work well with my TV.

I'm pretty certain that my TV played in anamorphic mode with the JVC. I could definetly tell the difference between Titanic and Fifth Element.

Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page