Anyone Seen The Rambo Trilogy On DVD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just curious if it's anything to write home about.

Ted

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
Liked: 10
I have RAMBO II, very nice image, good dolby surround . However, the entire trilogy is said to be remastered in dolby 5.1 in 2002 by Artisan, so I read somewhere a few months ago. ( digitalbits? HTF ? )
post #3 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The current RAMBO trilogy available on DVD is very decent looking and enhanced as well, but could use a bit of refinement. They'll do for now.

Of course, it figures that these movies would see at least a second release, so it doesn't surprise me Artisan has announced remastering of all three flicks in the least...

-THTS
post #4 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 07:07 PM
hob

I have all 3 in a row inside my Sony Changer. I like #3 the best.
Just like Star Wars, Indiana Jones
I seem to like the third editon of the triologies.

I like the idea they remastered "First Blood" to dolby surround like the other two already are.

------------------
Hob for Hobby
post #5 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 07:46 PM

In response to part 3- it sure is a good film to watch now (the situation in Afghanistan).

For all of you who havent seen it- check it out- its kind of fun.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 09:02 PM
hob

Brusliv, I know your not going to be happy with my response. Remember Rambo #3 both Rambo and Colonel had a mutual 'respect' for the Muhajeen!

James Bond in The Living Daylights with Timothy Dalton also thought they were excellent fighters who were not like Osama Bin Laden and his band of terrorists at all!

There are 2 sides of the coin, in these two movies the Afgans were praised for their fighting and their cause for freedom.

I also seen that horrible taking of innocent lives on TV as well!
In telling the membership to watch the movie as fun, I don't share your opinion as 'fun' to watch, maybe next year, but not right now I believe your timing is off.

------------------
Hob for Hobby
post #7 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

euh? don't mix up original mudjahidins and the talibans, who mostly came from fundamentalist tribes and Pakistan. talibans remain a minority of the 20M+ population. for real mudjahidins, find them in the Northern Alliance.
talibans seized power in 1996.

RAMBO III (I have the laserdisc) is very action packed, the most of the three. technically well done, shot in Israel. its authenticity is very high at times ( though I wished they used a real Mil-24 Hind helicopter http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ).

but it's the RAMBO II which image looks the best. a beefier bassier 5.1 would not be unwelcomed however.

"I'm expandable".
"What's expandable?"
"It's like when do you don't show up at a party. Nobody notices it"
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by David600 (edited 10-02-2001).]
post #8 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 09:24 PM
hob

David- Julia Nixon she was a good choice to me also, she sure looked cute dressed up as a 'present' for camp commander. What some makeup will do for how we persieve women to turn us on.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Hob for Hobby
post #9 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

hey!

sure did! I think she married David Sould btw. did not play many movies I think. beautiful American-Asian lady indeed.
It always was a sad moment when he holds her in his arms, being shot to death and when he buries her. Very powerful.

Rambo has certainly created an unforgettable moment in the patriotic/war American cinema.

best
post #10 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 09:39 PM

Ok- i have about had it.

Rambo III is a movie. Not reality. A movie. A stupid action movie. Soviets versus Afghanistan with Rambo caught up in it. It's Rambo for God's sakes. I stated that with the conflict going on in Afghanistan it is an "interesting" film to watch now. I think "The Siege" is an interesting film to watch now. Do i agree with any of the politics in Rambo III? No. In all reality- Rambo III is a horrendously bad film. But its a film so bad its kind of fun. I dont care about the politics in Rambo. I dont let film influence me to be partisan. My ethics and values are a little more well researched.

The most tragic act in US history occurred a little over two weeks ago. I understand that. I DO NOT- I repeat- DO NOT think that the taking of innocent lives is FUN.

I have the ability to separate reality from an action movie. I think the ending of an action film like "Commando" is fun to watch- because it is so ridiculous and extreme. Schwarzenegger vs. 1000armed guys is fun to watch.

I am also not one who thinks that we should just digitally erase the twin towers from film, you know, just pretend like it never happened. I think that they should remain on film- as a stern reminder of what they once stood for- towering over the magnificent city of new york. Yet- i understand that film is a medium to which people would like to escape the horrors of real life. I completely respect that.

So- in the final analysis- i am not forcing any of you to agree with a word of what i said above. What i am doing however,is exercising my right of free speech. This country needs to rebuild and pull through- and it will. So- if i offended any of you with my comments on Rambo III (in a prior post) - i didnt mean to. I thought it was a pretty innocent statement about a stupid action movie. I guess i was wrong. However- do not tell me to reserve my comments and recommendations to the forum. I will not. You can criticize my point of view- just dont criticize me.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

wow!

hey, relax, Rambo III is just in the same league as some
other well known action/war movies, nothing more though Stallone tried to deliver a message as he always tries to http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
the film was shot and released in 1988, when the Afghan war was reaching its last year. at the time, no one was talking about talibans. mudjahidins were freedom fighters.

anyway, as for realism I talked about, I meant some of the fight scenes, which looked and sounded cool and thrilling. the PCM sound of the laserdisc is much better btw.

for a realistic to very realistic/authentic war movies, done the last 10years:
THE BEAST OF WAR (Afghanistan)
SAVIOR (Bosnia)
SPR of course
WARRIORS (Bosnia)
BRAVO TWO ZERO (SAS in Iraq)
post #12 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 10:57 PM

David600-

I agree with you 150%.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-02-2001, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think we're being a little too sensitive here. While it's true that some caution should be taken not to insult people harmed in the tragedy, brunsiv is just talking about a movie here. I watched Airforce One the other night and enjoyed it immensely. Does it have anything to do with Afghanistan? No, but it does have Harrison Ford kicking some terrorist butt! The good guys win, and I enjoyed watching the good guys triumph. If they showed that on TV right now people might be offended. If I recommend that people watch it is that wrong? I don't think so.

The Rambo series has a patriotic message that I think is appropriate for these times. Having fun while watching those films doesn't imply anything bad. Don't be so sensitive.

BTW, check out the documentary on one of the DVDs in which the author of the original book describes Rambo as a type of American mythological figure. It's very interesting.
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page