Anyone have any comments on NetFlix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work for Best Buy and decided to sign up for Net Flix (cause we will be getting an employee discount on the service).

I just wanted to know how you all feel about the service- if it sucks or if its great.

Thanks alot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 08:44 PM
hob

It would have to be your own personal experience. I have heard good and bad, but the only way to really find out is try them out yourself. AVS has Digital Connection which supposedly trades discs. I have never received a reply to which I won't try unless someone responds I have sent them 3 e-mails so far but no answers from them.

Just thought I would give you an alternative I have a number of Discs that I would like to trade but I just can't find the right connection. Best of Luck if you try them, I feel at home here with a great bunch of guys Like Mark Rejhorn, Chris Williams, Tom Barry and others who I admire and enjoy reading what they have to say.

P.S. Besides a number of our AVS Moderators like Mike, Excel, Dave and others for they keep things in order which is not an easy job.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Hob for Hobby
post #3 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 09:04 PM

For a few months Netflix was great. I was getting my movies quickly and timely.
But the recent attack on NY has slowed the mail deliveries between NY and California hurting my Netflix subscription.

Personally I like Netflix and have been with them for almost 2 years now.

Worth trying for new members of the DVD club.

videoking

videoking

"I hate to disillusion you, but the Batmobile went only thity-two miles an hour" Adam West.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

videoking-

See thats the thing. I have been a fantatical DVD collector for 4 years now- i buy too many discs. I am hoping that netflix will help me be more selective.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-01-2001, 11:06 PM

I love netflix! Have been able to watch around 18-20 DVDs per month (with the 8-for-$40/mo. deal). Not a single problem in my 3 months experience. The turn-around did slow down after Sept. 11, but recently picked up again: two days to deliver and two days to return.
They have on-line trailers and reviews for most of the DVDs so it helps to select rentals, and of course rentals help to select purchases.

Don
post #6 of 13 Old 10-02-2001, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been using Netflix since January and it's more of a convenience for me than anything else.

Some titles have been in my list for MONTHS before I was able to watch them. Bedazzled is a great example. I added this title to my list BEFORE it was released. When the DVD was released, it was at the TOP of my list and I had an open slot for it to ship. Unfortunately, I added it to my list TOO LATE because it took about 6 months for a disc was shipped to me for viewing. Bedazzled was released in March and I received it about two weeks ago for my FIRST viewing.

Also, some titles Netflix is just nOT carrying, like Along Came a Spider and Heartbreakers (w/ Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Love-Hewitt).

If you have a GOOD DVD rental store near you, you might have better luck with that. I will stick with Netflix because I'm not picky about the order in which I watch the movies I want to see and I like the convenience of NOT having to go to the store to rent the titles.

Also, Netflix has over 10,000 titles on DVD for rent, so if you're looking for some obscure DVD titles, Netflix is probably a good way to go (or some other online rental service).

Good luck!

------------------
Peace....
post #7 of 13 Old 10-02-2001, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

I've been reasonable happy with NetFlix for the past 18 months. If you like new releases, NetFlix will probably disappoint. If you like obscure movies, it's pretty good. I agree with some of the other posts on service. If you live on the east coast, the discs can spend a lot of time in the mail.

I have only rented a couple of movies from them, but you might also want to check out DVD Overnight .

--Burke
post #8 of 13 Old 10-02-2001, 09:18 PM

"Anyone have any comments on NetFlix?"

It bites....

...at least it does if you don't live on the west coast. Every few months the price goes up and the service gets worse. Finally I could not withstand the pummeling any longer and I closed my Netflix account.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-03-2001, 08:41 AM

I used the Netflix three out deal for about 8 months. I liked them overall but the turn around time on disks was close to 2 weeks for me in the midwest. I have since tried rentmydvd and dvdovernight with the same resulting long turn around time.

All of the above priced out about $4 tp $5 bucks a disk.

If I want to watch a movie that know I will not buy and is not carried by blockbusted, I will use rentmydvd. My account at rentmydvd is on a per movie basis with no monthly fee.

If I know the movie will be watched a couple of times then I will buy it. Currently I have been using columbiahouse and with the membership package it has been costing me about $10.00 a disk. Just remember to quickly fill your requirement of buying two disks at the "regular club price". You can now do all of the paperwork online. Canceling you disk of the month is convenient to do on line.

Check out dvdtalk forum for details on the columbia house club and how to maximize your membership.

With a price of ten dollars per disk I think I could sell most of them and come out ahead.
http://www.columbiahouse.com http://www.rentmydvd.com http://www.dvdovernight.com http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum

[This message has been edited by BHorn (edited 10-03-2001).]

Post Elven Ent
post #10 of 13 Old 10-03-2001, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I've used NetFlix, rentMyDVD, and DVDOvernight and the issue is about turn around time. If you are on the East coast then the latter two can get you the discs pretty fast and the cost per rental will probably be less than 3 per using rentMyDVD (silly name). NetFlix just took too long. If you're on the west coast its the obvious choice. Overall its a great way to rent movies, no messing around in the stores and no stupid late fee's. NetFlix was very good when one of their mailings got lost and I've had maybe two defectives in two years, so not bad.

John Moschella
post #11 of 13 Old 10-03-2001, 08:06 PM

I have been using Netflix for about 3 months now and have been pretty pleased. The local rental stores in my area don't have much of a selection, so I felt I had no choice but to give Netflix a try. Like the others, mail has slowed since the attack in NY for me too. That aside, I was viewing about 10-12 DVDs on the 3 out a month plan from Virginia.

I picked up a tip here to go to the shipping status page on Netflix and click on the "already mailed back" option as soon as you mail the DVD back (instead of waiting extra 4 days). You can receive about 3 extra DVDs a month that way. No one has ever questioned it at Netflix.

I would also recommend sending them back as you watch them, so you don't have them all at one time. This way you should always have at least one movie on hand to watch. The bummer at times is when you have no movies on hand over a weekend. However, that makes a great excuse to buy some DVDs!

post #12 of 13 Old 10-03-2001, 08:21 PM

I've been using NETFLIX for about 2 years, and am very happy with it. Someone said they keep raising the price, but I have not seen it. Over a year ago they sent an e-mail to current subscribers saying they were grandfathering us. I still pay $20 for 4 discs at a time, and this works fine for me. Turnround time for me (Houston area) is about a week. Not immediate, but good enough. As others noted, new releases may take a while; luck of the draw. Bottom line: you will certainly get your money's worth, but it won't meet 100% of everyone's needs.

------------------
Fred S

Fred S
post #13 of 13 Old 10-03-2001, 10:57 PM

There has been a noticeable slowdown in Netflix' turn-around times, even prior to Sept. 11. It started to deteriorate in July. Just compare your "received" and "shipped" e-mails and you'll see a pattern of turnarounds starting to stretch into 2-3 day affairs instead of same-day.

In terms of new releases, there is no excuse for being on the waiting list for "What Women Want" since May, is there? That's five, friggin' months!

I sent a complaint to their CS dept. and got the usual milquetoast excuses.

------------------
Michael Tchong
Editor, Prosumer Ezine

Michael Tchong
Editor, Prosumer.tv
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page